PDA

View Full Version : What is the easiest payment method?

becky201
11-11-2001, 04:53 PM
I would like to get my banking done tomorrow.. Do most people take cash, traveler's checks, charge cards? I would like to take whatever is easiest, but feel uncomfortable taking so much cash?
7 days and counting down..
Becky :eek:

SteveL
11-11-2001, 05:27 PM
I like using my debit card. Charge everything to the room and then only have one entry in the checkbook after vacation. Once had to balance the checkbook after 13 nights. Had a bajillion receipts to enter.

becky201
11-11-2001, 05:57 PM
Hi
So you mean you can charge everything, I mean everything I purchase once I am there to the room? Then pay for it at the end of the stay? Do you need to give the desk your credit card on arrival? My husband will be using one and I will be using my debit card.. Thanks Becky

Beast_fanatic
11-11-2001, 06:16 PM
When you check in, they will ask you if you would like to put a credit card (or debit card) onto your room key. If you do so, they will then tell you the limit that is placed on your room card ($500 - $1500). You can charge up to this limit on your card before they charge your account. You can charge almost anything to your room. There are some beverage and snack carts that do not have the ability to accept credit cards, and you have to use cash (or traveler's checks) at those.

Another benefit of doing this, you are eligible for express check-out (they leave a listing of any charges made against your room on your door the morning of your departure - so long as you agree it is correct, you don't have to go to the desk to check out, you just leave the key to the safe in the safe and leave!).

We placed a credit card on our room key and it was very convenient. You can ask for an accounting of your purchases at any time during your stay (to get an idea of how much you've spent).

We took about $200 cash between the 2 of us for our 10 day stay in May.

Hope this helps! Have fun! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LostKid
11-12-2001, 01:31 AM
I was just there for 7 days and i spent about $200 cash and that included my drinks at night at PI. Other than that i used my credit card everywhere. Other than the little street food/drink stands, everywhere accepted credit/debit cards. Have fun!!!

imported_PolyGirl40
11-12-2001, 11:56 AM
Becky,

I guess I’m in the minority here. My husband is a cash-only guy.

He likes to keep track of his spending as it depletes. :D

I just wanted to let you know -- that the Polynesian has in-room safes. They are quite large. I was able to keep my purse in it -- as well as our *extra* cash.

You’re getting SO close! WooHoo! graemlins/muscles.gif

C & H
11-12-2001, 12:26 PM
DH is also a *cash only* guy ...

We do take our charge card just in case of any emergencies.

We always use the safe deposit in the hotels to stash our $$$.

GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow
11-12-2001, 12:47 PM
I guess I am a bit odd here... I feel better with pre-paying, I am more able to relax if I know I that I won't have any bills to pay, or big numbers to subtract after my trip. Going home is depressing enough.

I sent in extra money to CRO on my POFQ ressie, then added to it with traveler's checks when I arrived... used my room card for virtually everything except coca-cola and pressed pennies. Then I just checked the "statement" every couple days, on my way to the pool or food court... I kind of like the itemization, like a little trip history!

When I checked out, I got about 7 bucks back. :cool:

brownie
11-13-2001, 03:12 PM
Credit card is the way to go, especially if you get something for using it, like the GM Card or an airline mileage credit card. Keep the money you would have spent in a savings account and let it earn interest. Transfer the money to your checking account when it is time to pay the credit card. Some credit cards let you have the amount deducted on from your checking account on the due date, so you can let the money earn interest longer. Use the credit card for everything you can, you just need to keep track of how much you've spent and make sure you don't exceed your trip budget. We still haven't actually the expenses from our trip in October yet, it gets deducted towards the end of this month. $150-200 cash should be enough to bring with you.

By the way, using your credit card like this works for everyday expenses also. I rarely carry cash, and use my credit card for everything. You just need to pay it off every month (I deduct each charge from my checking account register so I don't spend the money I need to pay off the credit card).

Disney2002
11-13-2001, 04:02 PM
Anything besides cash. My parents always used to take travelers checks... I'll probably stick with the plastic. Just make sure whatever means you decide to use cannot hurt you terribly is lost/stolen!

Laurabearz
11-13-2001, 04:20 PM
My husband and I got a no annual fee Delta miles Amex card. We plan on using this as our main WDW monies and pay it off when we return home. By having the Amex card we get discounts at many resturants and some stores in DD, and the mileage adds up :) graemlins/clappy.gif
We also plan on bring around $500 in cash, but prolly wont spend it all.

Laura

Janmac
11-15-2001, 12:00 PM
Just FYI, a CM at the Yacht Club told me we could bring a personal check down and it could go to our room account.

I had been planning to send extra in our final payment check and just happened to call CRO to double check this. Good thing I did, as the very nice CM, Lolly, that I spoke with said the system wouldn't allow it. It would automatically send a check back to us for the amount over.

I didn't really catch the whole explanation, but it was because we were Disney Club and because we have a Resort Magic package.

I probably have that wrong, but no matter. The CM at the Yacht Club said a personal check would work. Since we're driving to WDW, we'd like to keep the credit card for just in case on the trip down.

And I will call to confirm before we leave!

Jan

LottaLubes
11-15-2001, 02:56 PM
FYI, if you use your AMEX card you can get a 10% discount off of certain things in Disney like boat/bike rentals and dining.

I also like to prepay everything. Then all I have to worry about it spending money. Don't want to come home to major bills with Christmas around the corner!

AndrewJackson
11-16-2001, 10:05 AM
Ir really is a matter of personal preferance. I like charging everything to the room. I like getting a statement at the end of the week and knowing exactly what I spent all my money on, i.e. food, gifts, etc. I also like not having to worry about having a lot of cash or not having enough on me.