PDA

View Full Version : Less than two years old at WDW?

darthmacho
10-29-2001, 04:18 PM
My baby girl will be just one year and ten months old at the beginning of December of 2002, the time I thought might be right for a return to WDW. What are your thoughts about a child this age traveling 1300 miles? Is she so young that it would either be a waste of time, or worse yet a bad experience for the whole family. I think I wouldn't go at all rather than go without her, so leaving her behind is NOT an option.
So my questions are:
Is this too young an age to travel?
Why or why not?
Is early December a good time to go?
Why or why not?
What would a baby this age be able to do?
What's likely out? (Aside from the obvious size limit rides)
Where would you stay?
Why?
Thanks!

------------------
Hang on to your personal belongings now, especially them hats and glasses, for this is the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Disney Trips:
Spring 1998: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days for Honeymoon
Fall 1999: Coronado Springs, 8 days for Halloween

[This message has been edited by darthmacho (edited October 29, 2001).]

lorirose
10-29-2001, 04:51 PM
We stayed at all-star Music when my daughter was 1yr, 9months. It was actually easier than the trip when she was 2 1/2!! She didn't even get very restless on the car ride (900+ miles)... but we planned plenty of stops and had lots of toys and books in the car.

Watching a child that age discover Disney is magic at its very best. Get some of the basic fab 5 cartoons so that she has an idea who the characters are... but even if you don't do that, she'll love it anyway. Just remember, at that age, everything she experiences is utterly real to her.

My daughter at that age was terrified by the bug's life thing at AK. She LOVED the lion king show... we had my grandma in her wheelchair along, so we sat right up front, on the floor area handicapped seating. My daughter jumped up and down and danced throughout the entire show.

The Pooh ride scared her. All of the heffalumps and woozles were a bit too much. She slept through pirates.

The only character we met on that trip was Pluto. (we were there in June) She was intrigued, and wanted to go up to him, but she'd take a couple of steps toward him, then squeal and come running back to me! Too cute!

I can't think of a single reason not to take her at a very young age. Even if she doesn't remember it, you always will!!

------------------
Dec '80 - Golf resort (now shades of green),1992-1995- a bunch of day trips. (lived in Orlando),Jun '99 - All Star Music,Jan '00 - All Star Movies,Feb '00 - offsite,Sep '00 - All Star Sports,Jan '01 - Fort Wilderness / Shades of Green,Sep '01 - all-star movies

Piglet822
10-29-2001, 04:55 PM
And don't forget to take lots of pictures. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif When my son was 8 months we took our first trip to Disney. Of course he remembers nothing but I've got one memory that will be with me forever.
We did a trip to MGM on Halloween and despite the 80 degree heat I put his little pumpking outfit on him anyway. We saw Minnie Mouse and she motioned for my DH to follow her to the bench so she could sit down. She wanted to hold the baby. I understand that this is not common practice. I was all ready to take the picture when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Mickey Mouse!! He got in the picture and I've got a great picture of Mickey, Minnie, and a very perplexed 8 month old wondering what was going on, LOL.
I would definitely make the trip. BTW, we also drove and my son did fine. 6 weeks later we drove back for good.
Hope you have a great trip, and don't forget your trip report.

------------------
Jeanne
Disney Cruise Line Bus Driver

And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.

TheInventor'sDaughter
10-29-2001, 08:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darthmacho:
So my questions are:
Is this too young an age to travel?
Why or why not?
Is early December a good time to go?
Why or why not?
What would a baby this age be able to do?
What's likely out? (Aside from the obvious size limit rides)
Where would you stay?
Why?
Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. It is not too young.

Why? Because that age believes it is real. Just watch their eyes on It's a Small World. Look at them as they see all the characters in the parade. That made the whole trip worth it on our trip with our first daughter when she was 1-1/2.

Why not? Supposedly because she won't remember it. That's true. My 7 year old doesn't remember her first trip to Disney. But I do. And the photos are great. And the video. And the memories. We all enjoyed it so much more with her there.

What would a baby this age be able to do? Well, they are able to do just about everything, really, but they would obviously be bored with certain things. They will really enjoy MK and almost all of AK. Playhouse Disney show and Muppets at MGM would be favorites, as well as other shows there. Epcot would be limited, but doable.

What's likely out? Some things are scary, such as Tough to be a Bug, Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Nordstrom. But my second daughter did most of these her last trip (at age 2 yrs 3 mos.) and handled them fine. She got a little spooked sometimes and wanted on my lap. I also had a little tiny flashlight for her to hold to comfort her if necessary (she only needed it on Haunted Mansion). It all depends on what you think your child can handle. Another thing that you might not be able to do is characters -- you should prepare them by telling them "Mickey Mouse is really big!" And you can show them Mickey on videos like "Disneyland Fun" or the vacation video that WDW sends out. That will prepare them. But they just might hate that big mouse. It's a fine line with kids that age.

Where would you stay & Why? I would stay on Disney property, because you might want to take an afternoon break (especially if your daughter doesn't sleep well in a stroller). If you can afford it (and I have never been able to), the perfect resort would be on the monorail, so you can go to MK with ease. But anywhere on Disney property is great for kids.

------------------
1972, Orlando Campground; 1988-94, Orlando-area resident (frequent visits); 1992, PO; 1993, Dolphin; 1996, WL; 1996, D.Inst.; 1997, BW Inn; April 2001, Wild. Home; Nov. 2001, BWV & OKW; March 2002, AS Music

We go on...to the joy and through the tears
We go on...to discover new frontiers
Moving on...with the courage of the years
We go on...moving forward now as one
We go on...with a spirit born to run
Moving on...with each rising sun to a new day...

TheInventor'sDaughter
10-30-2001, 08:10 AM
Ha ha ha -- OK I am cracking up right now because I realized that I typed in "Nordstrom" instead of "Maelstrom." Ha! Can you tell I like to shop????

That is hilarious.

Sorry. I meant Maelstrom!

------------------
1972, Orlando Campground; 1988-94, Orlando-area resident (frequent visits); 1992, PO; 1993, Dolphin; 1996, WL; 1996, D.Inst.; 1997, BW Inn; April 2001, Wild. Home; Nov. 2001, BWV & OKW; March 2002, AS Music

We go on...to the joy and through the tears
We go on...to discover new frontiers
Moving on...with the courage of the years
We go on...moving forward now as one
We go on...with a spirit born to run
Moving on...with each rising sun to a new day...

spiceypj
10-30-2001, 03:08 PM
december is very unpredictable weatherwise the high can be any where from the 40's to the 80's and the lows can be from the 30's to the 60's

that say she will love December all the decorations will be up - there will be so much for her to see.

------------------

Disneywarrior
11-02-2001, 09:50 AM
You are never too young or too old for a trip to WDW. I was 3 months old my first trip, my daughter was 9 months old, and when we go in June 2002 my newborn boy will be 5 months old.

------------------
Por Favor mentaganse allejado de las puertas!
--WDW Monorail

When hinges creek in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls. Whenever candlelights flicker, when the air is deathly still. That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
--Ghost Host, HM

marchhare72
11-02-2001, 03:47 PM
The last time we went we had a 14-month old, a four year old and a five year old. Let me tell you I would not have left my baby home for anything!!!Don't ever think they're too young. My SIL did and never got over the guilt when her son looked at family pictures of their trip years later and asked where he was. Of course that guilt got her to let him come with us. The more the merrier!!!!

A tip if you're flying - Ring Pops. Sucking on them helps relieve the pressure much like a pacifier and the little ones always love doing something the big kids do.

We stayed at Ft. Wilderness - a great choice if feasible (my FIL had his camper). It's only a short boat ride (fun in itself) from MK and it's easy to get back for naps.

Caity was alittle nervous around the big characters (like Goofy) but loved the mice from Cinderella, who she stalked like a pro!! Of course Mickey was a hit from the beginning; we saw him first at the Chef Mickey breakfast and he actually sat on the floor with her for 10 minutes while we ate. My FIL has video of her kissing his nose.

She didn't have a problem with any of the attractions such as Pooh but many of the shows were loud and hurt her ears. We also had her bring her light-up Po for the dark rides - she would get so into making it light up she didn't notice much else. She also really liked the Little Mermaid splash area and the Town Park in Toontown. In EPCOT (which was all over her head) we made it fun by looking for hats in each of the countries and making silly faces. We have a digital camera so she could see the pictures right away - "That's me....I silly!!!" At AK my FIL took her down the animal paths while we took the older ones on Kali River Rapids but she loved the safari ride (not so much for the animals but for all the bumps!). We watched alot of Playhouse Disney before we left so by the time we saw the "Bear" show at MGM she was in heaven and doing the cha-cha-cha with the best of them.

The older kids knew that they had to do some things that Caity liked as well as more exciting stuff. I think they benefited from the downtime (like going back for naps "for Caity" - not because they were tired of course!!) and were able to do so without fear of being thought of as a "baby". I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

------------------

marchhare72
11-02-2001, 03:54 PM
The last time we went we had a 14-month old, a four year old and a five year old. Let me tell you I would not have left my baby home for anything!!!Don't ever think they're too young. My SIL did and never got over the guilt when her son looked at family pictures of their trip years later and asked where he was. Of course that guilt got her to let him come with us. The more the merrier!!!!

A tip if you're flying - Ring Pops. Sucking on them helps relieve the pressure much like a pacifier and the little ones always love doing something the big kids do. Also bring her car seat - it's safer and she's used to being in it while traveling in the car anyway.

We stayed at Ft. Wilderness - a great choice if feasible (my FIL had his camper). It's only a short boat ride (fun in itself) from MK and it's easy to get back for naps.

Christmas is a great time to go - the only time for us since DH and DD #1 burn easily. The lines are shorter, the decorations are beautiful, and the weather is cooler. It usually rains while we're there so I always pack waterproof windbreakers and extra socks for post-puddle-jumping dry feet in my park bag. Bring the bathing suit but also bring sweatshirts and even a warm hat for layering at night.

Caity was alittle nervous around the big characters (like Goofy) but loved the mice from Cinderella, who she stalked like a pro!! Of course Mickey was a hit from the beginning; we saw him first at the Chef Mickey breakfast and he actually sat on the floor with her for 10 minutes while we ate. My FIL has video of her kissing his nose.

She didn't have a problem with any of the attractions such as Pooh but many of the shows were loud and hurt her ears. We also had her bring her light-up Po for the dark rides - she would get so into making it light up she didn't notice much else. She also really liked the Little Mermaid splash area and the Town Park in Toontown. In EPCOT (which was all over her head) we made it fun by looking for hats in each of the countries and making silly faces. We have a digital camera so she could see the pictures right away - "That's me....I silly!!!" At AK my FIL took her down the animal paths while we took the older ones on Kali River Rapids but she loved the safari ride (not so much for the animals but for all the bumps!). We watched alot of Playhouse Disney before we left so by the time we saw the "Bear" show at MGM she was in heaven and doing the cha-cha-cha with the best of them.

The older kids knew that they had to do some things that Caity liked as well as more exciting stuff. I think they benefited from the downtime (like going back for naps "for Caity" - not because they were tired of course!!) and were able to do so without fear of being thought of as a "baby". I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

------------------