PDA

View Full Version : Children's illness at WDW

becky201
10-17-2001, 06:18 PM
I have plenty of time.. but my children are ill and have been. They are on their 3rd round of antibiotics , inhalers etc. My worry.. can I have a prescription filled there? If my physician would write a prescription from Wisconsin could it be filled and if so is there somewhere in teh World that fills them? I am worried since their ears are so bad and with the flight and all.. AARGH.. Becky

------------------

goofgal
10-17-2001, 07:32 PM
I would personally have the prescription called into a national drug store. I know there is a Wahlgreen's not far from WDW. Before the doctor calls the prescription in (I wouldn't try to get a paper prescription filled out of state), ask the pharmacist what the policies are for out-of-state refills. Also ask the pharamcist about your prescription plan and whether that will present a problem when you get the prescription filled in Florida (trust me, a few minutes on the front end may save you hours of problems in Florida.)

When my mother got stuck in West Virginia for three weeks instead of the three days she was planning, her doctor here in Maryland called the prescription into a Maryland Rite Aid and she got it filled in WV.

------------------
Karen

EvaBryan
10-17-2001, 07:40 PM
I second the above advice. I would even advise getting a prescription of some sort filled before you leave at a Walgreens so that the pharmacist will have all of your children's information in their nationwide computer.

My mom was suffering from a leg infection before we left on our trip last spring. Luckily my mother always fills her prescription at Walgreens so her insurance info, drug allergies, etc. we already in the computer. When she had to go to the ER on the second day of our trip (long story) it was easy to get her meds at the Florida Walgreens.

Good luck and I hope your children feel better!

Eva

50 days 12 hours till WDW!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/biggrin.gif

------------------

mattjs
10-17-2001, 08:08 PM
No personal experience with this but I've seen a few posts from folks who've had prescriptions filled at WDW and then delivered to the front desk at their resort.

Before you leave call your resort directly (not the 800# for CRO but the direct resort #) and they can give you the name of the pharmacy that delivers to the resorts. Then maybe just have you pediatrician call in the prescritions for you in case you need them.

The pharmacy is located just off property. and I think it may be an Ekerds?

There's also a walk in medical clinic that will pick you up at the resort and take you back if needed (though hopefully not needed). They'll have the name of the clinic at the front desk as well.

Hope all are well before you leave.

------------------

amickeymom
10-18-2001, 12:12 PM
On our last trip to Disney (12/99) our youngest son (then 16mo.) was battling ear infections constantly. Just as a precaution (at my request) our doctor wrote him out the prescriptions he knew that our son would need if he had a recurrence. Well, needless to say the prescriptions had to be filled and late on a Sunday night at that. We were not staying at a Disney Resort so I don't know what is available there. We filled them at a 24 hr pharmacy. I think it was at a Eckerd Drug Store which was not far from Disney. We had no trouble filling a prescription written in Alabama and we had never used Eckerds before. We did have to file with the insurance ourselves.

Knowing that your kids are already having problems maybe your doctor could do the same. This would save you the trouble of trying to get in touch with your doctor .....especially if the need arises on a weekend or at night!

We are leaving for Disney Nov. 23rd. My son (now 3) is scheduled to have tubes put in his ears for the second time before we go. I think I will ask for another prescription for this trip just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with keeping them all well! Hope you have a great time!!

RhodeHog
10-18-2001, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mattjs:

There's also a walk in medical clinic that will pick you up at the resort and take you back if needed (though hopefully not needed). They'll have the name of the clinic at the front desk as well.
[/QUOTE

Unfortunately, I have experience with this one. The clinic is CentraCare and the doctors are good and the clinic was not too crowded. The exam charge is $113 if you do not have them file insurance. If it is serious, they will transport you to the hospital at Celebration (which is one of the nicest hospitals I have seen).

The Walgreen Drug Store is at CrossRoads. There are some OTC drugs at the Fulton's General Store at PO-R and I am sure at the other resort stores as well.

Hope they are healthy...it is a bummer when they are not.

------------------
"Just a dream away"

G
10-21-2001, 03:32 AM
On our trip in June both my son and I came down with a sinus infection. We were staying at the Dolphin and a DR. came to the room to see us. He told me that the Drs in the area moonlight by doing house calls for the resorts in the Orlando area. He called is the RX and it was delivered to our front desk. The room vist was only $5.00 more than a clinic trip would have been, and I only had to wait 1 hour from the time I called till his arrival. I thought it was cool to get a house call(only in WDW and Las Vegas). I also got lucky in the fact that he was a pedi Doc.

------------------
(Gail)