PDA

View Full Version : The Story of the Surprise Birthday

MickeyMark
11-01-2001, 08:36 AM
The story of the Surprise Birthday

In early April 2001, I decided that I wanted Jill and I to go to Walt Disney World for her 30th birthday. The year before, I had turned 30, and was very disappointed in the birthday, my age, and all things non-20something. Therefore, I wanted Jill's birthday to be special.

This thought of the Disney birthday went around in my head for quite a while before I really sat down and figured out what it would take. It wasn't going to be a long trip by any means, since we will have a little baby; a four-month old in fact. Jill won't want to be away long! Jill's birthday falls on a Friday this year, which is PERFECT -- I can't take a lot of time off from work at the end of the year, and obviously I need babysitting. The Friday birthday allowed me to get us 3.5 days of Disney World and only have to ask my mother in law to take off two days, Friday November 2 and Monday November 5.

The first thing I had to get was her approval... my mother in law's approval, that is. When this first came about, I had decided it needed to be a complete surprise and shock to Jill. Since her folks LOVE to play jokes on her, this wasn't a problem. Jill's mom quickly agreed to take the time off and watch all three of our kids. Love you mom, this couldn't have happened without you!

So with childcare taken care of, now it was on to actual Disney planning. Bear in mind that on every trip I've ever taken to WDW, I have not done the planning. So while I am fairly in tune with the ins and outs of reservations, priority seatings, etc., I had never actually DONE any of it. It's still only late June, over 120 days from the trip. It seemed like absolutely forever away; I could not wait for it to get here, but that's kind of wishing your life away, isn't it? Anyway, I had to choose based on the amount of money I wanted to spend. I really wanted to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, but it can't happen. We need to take our older kids sometime next year, so saving $80/night by staying at a moderate is what I decided to do. I chose Dixie Landings, because Jill loves it there. I had to go through the whole learning process of DxL and Port Orleans combining, and what was now called what. In the end, I just called Disney and said "I would like to stay in what was formerly known as the Alligator Bayou rooms at Dixie Landings." Briar Rose was the Cast Member on the other end, and she was very helpful, especially when she found out that I was to surprise my wife with this trip.

It was at this stage that I encountered my first slip-up, however. I hadn't figured out before I called exactly how I was going to keep Disney info from showing up at my house. Fortunately as I was on the phone (at work, of course), my boss walked by and I asked her if I could use my work address for personal mail. She inquired about the reasons, and when I told her, she melted like a sundrenched candy bar and said "of COURSE you can!". http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif So I put Briar Rose back to my ear and told her my work address and made her put down notes that I was NOT to be contacted by any means at any other address or phone number. She happily typed it in for me.

(continued in first reply message)

MickeyMark
11-01-2001, 08:50 AM
Just a few days later, it was 120 days from our trip, and I decided to make any priority seatings that I could. I sat down and figured out a really rough itenerary so I could know where we would be. We will arrive at PO-Riverside around 11am, so there's no birthday breakfast, but I decided we would eat at Liberty Tree, Alfredos, Chef Mickeys, and Prime Time over the course of our vacation. The only two PSs I could make at 120 days were Liberty Tree and Chef Mickeys, so they are all set.

Next came two big things to pay for: airfare and the hotel. How to do this without Jill seeing money leaving the account? Ahh, but this one worked perfectly. I have an account at work that Jill knows about but does not have access to. I put all of my "side job" money in it, and we use it for Disney trips. Perfect! I had a check made out to WDW to pay for our hotel room, and then it was time to find the best airfare....

There are two airlines that fly directly from Indy to Orlando; ATA and Delta. As Jill is a former employee of ATA, we have always flown with them. But I was determined to get the best price, so I just kept my eye on the Net Fares on Travelocity and on each airlines' website. Both prices were holding steady around $160/ea, so I was biding my time, assuming the prices would come down. After a couple of weeks, I had determined that $320 was not bad for two tickets to Orlando, so I should go ahead and get them. But I waited. The VERY NEXT DAY, I checked and both airlines had moved prices up to $210/ea! I was really ticked off. I couldn't believe it! Again, I was still 110 days out from the trip, so I waited. About a week later, I got on the ATA website and found the trip was now $131/ea round trip. I immediately called to hold the tickets, but I couldn't without using a credit card. What to do, what to do? I had to pay cash or Jill would find out. I called ATA back and the lady I got was very nice to me and put two tickets for $131 on a 24 hour courtesy hold for me. I went down to my credit union, withdrew $262, and raced to the airport.

When I got to the counter to purchase the tickets, the lady took my money, printed my flight plan, and mentioned "By the way, that fare is $210 and there is a note in the system saying the web price was a mistake, but they are honoring the price for those who paid." Oooh, it certainly pays to call back and get a nicer representative on the phone at ATA!

So let's move forward to today. It's August 10th, 84 days away from Jill's birthday. My checklist is dwindling slightly. I have managed to locate our annual passes, so I know where they are now, which is good. I haven't found our Disney Happy Birthday pin which I want Jill to wear on the airplane. I'm out of ideas on where to look. Weaseling information out of Jill without showing my hand is getting hard! I've been trying to casually mention our Disney pins in hopes that the birthday pin is with them. I cannot be too cautious, though. The IBEX towncar is reserved, the hotel is reserved, I have the plane tickets. The annual passes are located, the children are taken care of.

I have been working on a "presentation" to show to Jill to let her in on the secret. It is a PowerPoint show, complete with text like "Happy Birthday" and "I wanted this birthday to be special". Then when the line "...your very best birthday present ever" comes on the screen, the music to Reflections of Earth begins. As the drumbeats hit, pictures from all over WDW pop on the screen. Fireworks, Mickey, Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth. If you know the music, you know the drumbeats get faster and faster, and so do the pictures. The music culminates with a "scream" of sorts, while the screen goes blank. Then the big orchestra hit, with Walt and Mickey's "Partners". Finally, it says "If you want to see all these things..." "You'd better start packing because..." "the plane leaves at 8AM!". There is even a nice picture of an ATA jet on that last slide. The music blares triumphantly, and I didn't put too much work into the rest of it, because I expect her to be A) hugging me, then B) running around like mad trying to get her things together. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

(continued next reply)

MickeyMark
11-01-2001, 08:50 AM
My biggest concern was Luke, our 7 week old (right now) son who will be 4 months old when this trip happens. I wondered if Jill would be too clingy to leave him. The sweating really began when we started talking about next year's trip and she said she would have trouble leaving him with her mom! I was thinking, "Oh dear, he'll be almost a year old then, what will she think about leaving him with mom when he's four months old??". Fortunately for me, she's come around a bit and has even talked about going down to WDW in December when all of the Intercot mods are going to be there. I asked if she would be willing to leave Luke behind in December, and she said "Yeah, for a couple of days." BINGO, the pressure is off! Now I have to figure out a way to talk her out of December....

As far as other things I need, I know I'm going to need to make a call to NetGrocer before we go to get some food, moleskin, juice boxes, etc. for our room. We always use NetGrocer; the box is waiting for us at our resort when we arrive and we then have quick breakfast food as well as things to munch on at night. I'll place that order when I know for sure that I can use our credit card and the statement won't arrive until after we leave. That won't be a big deal. I also need to buy basic things for our trip, like batteries, film, etc. No biggie. But the BIGGEST thing I have to get done is laundry. Now, bear this in mind, I *never* do laundry. I'm in a pickle here, because it's early enough that I could start doing laundry now and then she wouldn't be suspicious of me when November rolls around and I'm making sure every stitch of laundry in the house is done. The problem with that is that if I start to do it now, and do it for the next 84 days, she'll expect me to continue doing it after our trip, and that's not gonna happen. http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif So here's my plan: I've come to her with an idea to make Thursday our cleaning/working day. That way the weekends are freer. I mow the lawn on Thursday nights, we sweep the floors, do the laundry, clean the bathrooms, etc. Of course, my purpose to her is that this will make our weekends better, but the real reason is so when I tell her about the trip, all her clothes are clean and she can simply pack.

Who have I told so far? Right now, very few people know. I don't see a big reason that many people even need to know until we leave. But I have told JanetMegan (from Intercot), because I wanted to know if she would be down there. That would have been cool (we both think Janet is the cat's pajamas), but she's not going to be there. Oh well. Then of course Jill's mom knows, because she's watching the kids. My parents do not know, my friends do not know, my co-workers do not know (except my boss). However, the biggest potential leak is a friend of ours, Roxanne, who I had lunch with last week. I decided to tell her because I'm struggling with one thing: I really want to tell Jill about the trip ON her birthday. You know, drag her out of bed, put her in front of the PowerPoint show, and watch her go nuts. However, even if I get her up at 4am, that only leaves her a little more than 2 hours to get packed and ready. So I let Rox in on the secret to ask her what she thought, and she believes I should tell Jill the night before, like at 10pm or something. That's going to spoil the surprise somewhat. http://www.intercot.com/boards/blue.gif But I see her point; Jill's a female and operates on a different type of "time schedule" than I do; she needs packing time, shower time, primping time, run around the house to make sure everything is turned off time, etc. Two hours ain't gonna cut it. And I don't think I could drag her out of bed at 4am, since she goes to bed around 1am usually. http://www.intercot.com/boards/eek.gif

(continued in next reply)

------------------
Mark (aka MickeyMark)
[email protected]
Intercot (http://www.intercot.com) Staff Member
Trips: 8/1980 - 9/1999 - 2/2000 - 12/2000 - 2/2001 - 4/2001 - 2/2002?
WRONG LEVERRRRR!

MickeyMark
11-01-2001, 08:58 AM
This story is obviously incomplete as of right now. I'm 84 days out and still have priority seatings to make, pins to find, Surprise Mornings and E-nights to try to find out, etc. So what I will do is save this document, and from here on out, I will type out the date and make additions. I'm very excited!

8/13/2001
It's Monday, and this weekend held some interesting insights. First, Jill wanted to go somewhere with me, and was willing to leave Luke at her mom and dad's house. Wooo hooo, I love it when a plan comes together! Second, my first son's birthday is coming up in three weeks, and out of the blue, Jill said to him: "Do you want to wear the Disney World Birthday pin on your birthday, Nate?" Again, wahoo! I'll make sure I put Nate to bed that night and get my paws on that pin, or at least know where it's kept. Only 80 more days.... http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

8/23/2001
Certainly not a lot going on here. Jill is still dropping hints like crazy that she would like to go to WDW on her birthday. Last year, I bought Jill a minivan without her knowing it. It was exactly what she wanted, but while I was in the process of purchasing it, she was constantly dropping hints that she wanted a minivan. It bugged me so much (that she might not be surprised that I got it for her), that I began to email her crash reports on her van, showing how completely unsafe they were (I modified the data to make it look really bad). This got her into the mindset I wanted her in, which was "He's never gonna get me one." So that's probably what I need to do here. I have told her repeatedly that there is absolutely NO WAY we have the money for a birthday trip, but I don't think that's enough. There must be another thing I can do to really cement in her mind that she will be in lovely Indiana on her birthday, not at Disney.

She did mention, however, that if I was absolutely sure that we wouldn't go to WDW, that she was going to schedule her sister-in-law's baby shower for the day after her birthday. Is this gamesmanship? Is she trying to fluster me into admitting the trip? It's not gonna work, my dear... I'm not giving away anything. My off-the-cuff response to her was that perhaps we should leave that Saturday open in case her mother is willing to watch the kids so we can go to Chicago or something. This seemed to work, as her shoulders visibly slumped. The slumping shoulders let me know that she was indeed trying to pry something out of me, or at least see if I was hiding something. Well, not to be boastful, but I dominated that little mind game. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

Still no sign of the Birthday pin or Jill's WDW nametag. Nate's birthday is coming up fast, so hopefully all the pins will make appearances shortly.

8/24/2001
Just realized that I forgot to mention how I'm gathering information without Jill knowing it. As I mentioned above, I'm new to the actual planning part of a WDW trip. I have a lot of questions, like "How good is this restaurant", etc. Well certainly I can't ask the questions on Intercot without her figuring something out. I also didn't want to go to another Disney message forum and blow my cover there, in case someone would alert her to it. So I signed up for a second ID at Intercot, use really bad grammar, and ask away. Can you tell I really don't want her to find out? http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

8/30/2001
Argh... I still think she's expecting something. This is going to kill me. I've got my hopes built way up, and it's going to be a gigantic letdown if her reaction is "cool" instead of "WAAAHOOOO!". What can I do? Why am I asking you -- you aren't going to read this until November 1st. Ugh.

9/4/2001
Yesterday was 60 days left! So I called and got PS for a birthday dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. We both really like that place, plus I knew a PS wouldn't be hard to come by. However, this morning was the 60 days until our first breakfast, so I tried for Cinderella's Royal Table and failed. I'll keep trying the next couple of days, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm looking up on my whiteboard at work, and there in the corner I've written my "magic number" and update it every day. It looks very nice at 59. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif All next week I'm out of town on business, so when I get back I'll be able to knock it down from 56 (this Friday) to 46 on Monday the 17th when I get back! A month and a half... I'm actually starting to believe this might really happen. http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink.gif

MickeyMark
11-01-2001, 11:08 AM
9/5/2001
Foiled again! No Cinderella Castle breakfast for us on day 3. This isn't looking good, but you know what? We'll have plenty of fun without those dumb ol' princesses anyway.

9/6/2001
It's official, there will be no Cinderella breakfast. So what. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif Today is my oldest son's 4th birthday, and what do you know... the WDW Birthday Pin has appeared. Muhahaha. I've decided that if it is going to be too obvious for me to grab it, then I'll just let Jill put it back away... she obviously knows where it is. But I can scratch one more thing off my list... the birthday button does in fact exist.

Happy Birthday Nathaniel!

9/11/2001
O beautiful for patriot dreams
That see beyond the years;
Thine alabaster cities gleam,
Undimmed by human tears.
America! America! God shed his grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood,
From sea to shining sea.

9/18/2001
It's been a long week. A week ago today, the World Trade Center towers and the Pentagon were attacked. I was in California, away from my family, on business. My conference was cancelled, but I was stuck. I'm very glad to be home, but now there's no certainty that A) my wife will be willing to fly and B) the airline I have tickets for will continue the Indy-Orlando route. So everything is up in the air. But it matters so little at this point.

9/24/2001
Okay, now I'm pretty sure Jill will fly to Orlando. She's really getting the "crave" for WDW. It's Monday today, so when I came in I got to erase 42 from my whiteboard and replace it with 39. Wow, only 39 more days! I am sitting here grinning just thinking about it.

We got our 100 Years of Magic vacation planning video in the mail on Friday, and after we sat down (as a family, kids and all) to watch it, Jill went completely into whine mode on me. "I wanna go on my biiirrrrthday", "Let's just go next month (October)", "I don't want to wait until February!". Oh, this is gonna be SO good. We have so much stuff to buy for our house, like a deck, and a fence, garage door opener, storm door, etc., that I believe I have her convinced that there is absolutely, positively NO money to be had for a 2001 vacation. She's even starting to mope around the house and say "My 30th birthday is going to STINK", so I'm pretty sure I have her right where I want her. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif To top it off, some good friends of ours just went to WDW last week, so she's going to have to hear all about their trip and how wonderful it was. Talk about priming the pump. http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

9/28/2001
Oh no!! Jill called her mom yesterday and said "Tell me the truth -- Mark has something up his sleeve, doesn't he?" CRUD! What now? How do I throw her off the trail? I think what I'm going to do is book a hotel on Michigan Avenue in Chicago and let the confirmation show up in the mail, then tell her "Oops, cat's out of the bag, we're going to the Magnificent Mile for your birthday". Argh. I don't know if that will work. This stinks. I hate it when someone is on to me, especially something this big.

10/01/2001
I can't wipe this smile off of my face. To update what happened above, I got home and Jill immediately began talking about going to WDW. So instead of instantly slamming the door on a trip, I sat with her as we perused flight prices, dates, AP rates for Disney hotels, etc. We discussed how much money we have and how many things we want to buy for our house. What it all boiled down to is that we came to this "conclusion" that there was simply no monetary way for us to make it to Disney this fall, and due to some family issues, we can't go next spring either. So we decided that we would just save and save and make a really big family trip next fall, late October-ish. She's very disappointed that we can't go for another year (tee hee hee hee), but she's excited that we'll actually be able to stay longer than 4 days when we do go. She's either completely in the dark (again) or WAY better at being coy than I am giving her credit for. In fact, as our conversation ended and she began to surf away from Disney sites, I had to turn and walk away because a gigantic grin crossed my face.

To top it off, it is now October, a mere 32 days from our trip. I've been planning this since April, and I think only 7 people know of the plan. As you can imagine, I'm ready to pop with anticipation. My only dilemma is that I'm now wondering if I shouldn't upgrade to Wilderness Lodge. I think I'll call right now to find out the price difference. Hee hee! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

Ooh! No go on Wilderness Lodge. Sold out except for conceirge! Wow. No biggie... http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

MickeyMark
11-01-2001, 11:09 AM
10/02/2001
Officially one month away! Boy I hope this is a tremendous vacation... I'm sure setting myself up for disappointment if it's not!

10/09/2001
My wife is making this interesting. Yesterday she called me at work and said "Guess what, I've decided I want a hayride/bonfire/cookout for my birthday, so I called the park and paid for the site." Of course, she scheduled it for her birthday night, when she will be in the Magic Kingdom with me. In other words, now I have to go behind her and CAREFULLY cancel the hayride/cookout, get the money back, and get in touch with everyone she's inviting. Yes, she's inviting people to her own party! Sheesh Jill! Anyway, guess how many she's inviting? Forty-eight people! 48! So my idea of only 6 to 8 people knowing about this surprise Disney trip is now out the window -- I have to tell EVERYONE that she's inviting to this party that the party isn't really going to happen, and BEG them to be extremely careful when talking to Jill, to avoid spilling the beans. Holy cow, she's making this difficult for me! Oh well... now there will be 55 of us who, if we keep the secret, will be able to laugh at/with her when it's over. However, if someone leaks this... http://www.intercot.com/boards/reallymad.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/reallymad.gif they are going DOWN!

10/15/2001
I've done a new Powerpoint presentation to show to Jill, with Enya's "Wild Child" as background music instead of Reflections of Earth. Why, you ask? Because the drumbeats just get too fast in RoE and I'm learning that sometimes the show runs without a hitch and sometimes it just can't display the pictures fast enough. This is on my work computer, which is much faster than my home computer, so I just figured that changing the song was better than having the show 10 seconds behind the music.

10/17/2001
My heart nearly stopped this morning when I got to work and checked my voicemail. A message from ATA, and all it said was this: "Your November 2 flight has been changed. Please call to confirm the change. Full refunds are available if we cannot accomodate you." Holy cow, I thought, they've cancelled the flight! So with much dread I called ATA, only to be told that the flight was changed from 10am to 8am. I told them that the website has been reporting 8am for two months, so what changed? Evidentally they realized that when I purchased the tickets, the official departure time was 10am, so they called me. I'm sure glad I didn't give them my home phone number.

Sixteen days....

10/23/2001
Ten days left. I have now told TiggTigg5 of the plot. He mentioned that his birthday was the day after Jill's -- I think he was hoping I would take him too. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif Sorry Ed.

I have told all but two couples who were foolishly invited by Jill to Jill's hayride party that the party is not going to happen. I can't seem to get in touch with those two couples, but I'll try again tonight. I had yet another small panic attack when Jill mentioned purchasing roasting poles (the things you stick hotdogs or marshmallows on which allow you to burn them to a crisp from a safe distance) for her party. Well, I wasn't too keen on spending a small fortune on these things since the party isn't happening, so I asked a few buddies who were invited to Jill's "not gonna happen" hayride and one of them has a whole bunch of these poles. I was able to tell Jill that Jay has enough of them and he'll bring them so we don't have to buy any. Jay's official response when I asked him was: "I have MORE than enough roasting poles for the number of people who are coming to your party." Ha!

It's getting really close (next Friday!) and I'm about to pop. There's a lot of doom and gloom on Intercot these days about hour cutbacks and lack of Surprise Mornings, but I just know that Jill and I won't let that get in our way. From what we can tell, Future World is closing at 7pm, but Test Track, Spaceship Earth, and World Showcase are all still open until 9. So I don't get to go see Ellen or the Living Seas after 7pm... you know, it's not that big a deal. We'll probably be manning our favorite viewing spot for Reflections of Earth by 7:45 anyway.

By the way, I'm nearly certain that Jill is completely, utterly, and totally in the dark on this. At least I hope so. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

10/29/2001
It's supposed to rain EVERY day we're down there. Ugh. I hope it's typical Florida rain, where it rains for 15 minutes then it's done.

I've told everyone who was invited to the "not gonna happen Hayride" that it's..well... not gonna happen. Jill quizzed me yesterday: "Why is everyone so excited about this hayride?" Hee hee.

FOUR days!

10/30/2001
Yesterday the government put the US on "highest alert" for more terrorist actions. Woo hoo, yet another thorn in the side. But this trip is GOING TO HAPPEN. Three days and counting. Actually 2 days, 15 hours, 17 minutes, and 3 seconds...

Jill, I believe, is pretty much in the dark. I think over the last week or so she has suspected that I have something up my sleeve, because she keeps saying "are you SURE we're going to Chicago?" Chicago is the trip we're supposedly taking after the "not gonna happen Hayride". Just to let you know, Jill called a couple weeks back and said "I can Priceline the Chicago Marriott for $41 a night! I'm going to do it!" Boy she was really getting irritating. I made up, ON THE SPOT, a story that I already had something planned with a "mystery couple" for Chicago, and that she really needed to stop trying to help plan her own birthday. She got the hint, but now the "mystery couple" thing is absolutely driving her bananas. Not bad for off the top of my head, eh? Now she's diverted by the mystery couple thing enough to (hopefully) not concentrate on the real issue, which is that we aren't going north, we're going south. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif Two days, 15 hours, 12 minutes, and 31 seconds...

10/31/2001
1 day, 15 hours, 54 minutes, 41 seconds.
1 day, 14 hours, 59 minutes, 49 seconds. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif
Yesterday I sent my room request fax to Port Orleans-Riverside and placed my NetGrocer order. I told PO-R about my terrible foot problem. I told them about my eyesight problem. I mentioned my knee operations. I told them about the really bad car accident I was in. I brought up my bad back. I told them of my birthmark. Anything to get me in Building 14!

Oh, by the way, NetGrocer rules. I can't wait to check in at PO-R and hear "You have a package waiting." Jill might think it's a birthday present, but I'll know that it's even more important: it's food!

11/1/2001
Today is the day I let her know. I have "broken" our home computer so she cannot access Intercot today.

I hope you are surprised and as excited as I am, sweetheart. Happy birthday, Jill; I love you. I hope we spend your next 60 birthdays together.

-- Mark

Ed
11-01-2001, 11:31 AM
Hi, Jill ! Happy Birthday ! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

Remember that little conspiracy last year with the MickeyVan ? Well, your diabolical DH has struck again. I can't wait to see what he comes up with for your 40th birthday!

Hope you have a great birthday and a wonderful trip! Be sure to button up, though; it gets chilly in "Chicago" this time of year! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
Ed, aka TiggTigg5
[email protected]
Intercot Staff Imagineer

"We go on... to the joy and through the tears
We go on... to discover new frontiers
Moving on... with the courage of the years

We go on... moving forward now as one
We go on... with a spirit born to run
Moving on... with each rising sun to a new day..."
________
silversurfer vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

bradleysnana
11-01-2001, 11:35 AM
Let me just say:

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have got to be the sweetest nicest man in the whole world!!!!!!

I hope you guys have a wonderful time!!!!
I can hardly type with the tears in my eyes. This is the most romantic thing I have ever heard of anyone doing. http://www.intercot.com/boards/ksmile.gif
Happy Birthday Jill!! "aparty:
------------------
Nana to Brad, Alex and Dustin
Becky (aka Bradleysnana)
Intercot Staff
[email protected]

"Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life." Walt Disney

We stand united in remembering the victims of terrorism

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty. John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

[This message has been edited by bradleysnana (edited November 01, 2001).]

PolyGirl40
11-01-2001, 11:36 AM
What a treat to read! The Boards went down half way through my reading. http://www.intercot.com/boards/eek.gif

Okay, a few questions. Just *who* was this person asking the Dining questions? Too funny!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

..............and Have you received the "Honey, the computer is down" phone call from home? I'd be afraid she would fix it. http://www.intercot.com/boards/eek.gif

http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif Happy Birthday, Jill ! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

------------------
Carol, aka PolyGirl40
INTERCOT (http://www.intercot.com/default.asp) Staff Member
[email protected]

Planning a trip to Central Florida? Let Ibex Towncar (http://www.ibextowncar.com/) meet you at the airport!

Click Here (http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/) for a Disney Vacation Quote.

Visit the INTERCOT Store (http://www.intercot.com/store/default.asp).

* "What I hear I forget, what I see I remember, What I do - I learn" *

[This message has been edited by PolyGirl40 (edited November 01, 2001).]

MegaDisney
11-01-2001, 11:41 AM
Have a wonderful trip, and Happy Birthday!!!

------------------
Bryant AKA MegaDisney

Intercot Staff-Moderator Disneyland General
Intercot West Staff-Moderator DCA & Accommodations

Disney Stock Holder
2-Park Premium Disneyland Resort Annual Passholder

"To all that come to this happy place....WELCOME" W.E.D. 1955
"You don't work for a dollar, you work to create and have fun" W.E.D 1967.

[email protected]

Check out Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com) for in depth Disneyland Resort information.

Ian
11-01-2001, 11:41 AM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif Happy birthday, Jill!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

Normally I'd say Mark got the better end of the deal in your marriage ( http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink2.gif ) but in this case he seems to have outdone himself. Have a great time!

------------------
Ian: aka WDWacky, aka Iam, aka The Fish Phobe
Intercot (http://www.intercot.com) Moderator - Collectables (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Disney+Collectables,+Toys+|AMP|+Goodies&number=19&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=), Disney Pins (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Disney+Pins&number=22&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=), and Mousellaneous (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Mousellaneous&number=9&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=)
[email protected]

What we do in life, echoes in eternity ...

NO BAD DANCING!!!!

For more great Disney info be sure to visit our sister sites Webdisney (http://www.webdisney.com) and Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com)

Need transportation to and from the Orlando airport? Why not go with IBEX (http://www.ibextowncar.com/) and go with the best?!

And for all your Disney travel needs be sure to book through Kingdom Magic Travel (http://www.kingdommagictravel.com) !!

Looking for some cool Disney merchandise? Maybe your own single share of Disney stock? Visit The Intercot Store (http://www.intercot.com/store/default.asp) for all your needs!

[This message has been edited by WDWacky (edited November 01, 2001).]

TinkerJo
11-01-2001, 11:45 AM
This is the greatest! I hope Jill has the happiest birthday ever! http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif
Enjoy the 100 Years of Magic Celebration!
Hope you have fun noticing all the wonderful changes! http://www.intercot.com/boards/rollsmile.gif
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes...
1972...Polynesian Resort
1976...Polynesian Resort
1980...Polynesian Resort
1984...Polynesian Resort
1985...Off-Site
1986...Polynesian Resort
1988...Polynesian Resort
1990...Beach Club
1992...Disney Tree House Villas
1993...Beach Club
1994...Beach Club Suite w/ Coffe Man every morning!
1997...All Star Sports
1999...Off-Site
1999...Disney Institute
1999...Beach Club
2000...Wilderness Lodge
2000...Boardwalk Villas
2001...WDW Swan
September 2001...Carribean Beach
October 2001...Yacht Club

JanetMegan
11-01-2001, 11:49 AM
Man, the cat's pj's huh? Thanks guys. I was so honored to get to know about the secret trip awhile ago and I really been hoping everything would work out perfectly. I am the queen of all planners and I know Jill is a planner too. I hope this takes your breath away Jill and i hope you didn't find out. I am the WORST at trying to find out surprises and I bet you are too. I hope you have a wonderful, romantic, happy super fun time!! Wish it was ME!! I'l be thinking of you as you fly off in the am and I can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

------------------
Janet, aka JanetMegan
[email protected]
Intercot (http://www.intercot.com) Staff Member

All you need is love...

Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of it's sorrows.
It empties today of it's strength.

ChipDale
11-01-2001, 12:07 PM
Wow! I am printing this out to let my husband read it! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif (He's really going to thank you, Mark! http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink.gif )

What a wonderful plan - I can't wait to see how it all turns out! Have a fantastic time!

http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif Happy Birthday, Jill! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

------------------
Jane

[This message has been edited by ChipDale (edited November 01, 2001).]

TanyaB
11-01-2001, 12:11 PM
oh my goodness! how incredibly romantic!
Jill you are one incredibly lucky woman to have your husband go to so much work to make you happy. He's definitely a keeper!
Pleaes be sure to write about your trip when you get back!
Hope you had a wonderful birthday!
Tanya

------------------
A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes...When You're Fast Asleep
December '91 - MGM & Magic Kingdom
December '92 -- Epcot
July 2001 -- Honeymoon at Carribean Beach Resort !

JohnY
11-01-2001, 12:14 PM
What a wonderful suprise. I hope you have the best trip ever!!

Happy Birthday!

------------------
John Yaglenski
Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer
Intercot & Webdisney
[email protected]

"Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life" - Walt Disney

“Actually, if you could see close in my eyes, the American flag is waving in both of them and up my spine is growing this red, white and blue stripe.” - Walt Disney

*** Next Up ***

Disney's Boardwalk Inn - October 2001
Old Key West - Yaglenski Family Gathering - August 2002

Fantasmic
11-01-2001, 12:21 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

Have a great time, and have a mickey bar on me !!!

------------------
Amy AKA Fantasmic
Intercot Staff- Games and Trivia
[email protected]
"Let your Disney magic shine"- Amy

Why was "It's a Small World being Played EVERYWHERE in WDW ?"

I am the Biggest Br'er Fox fan in the UNIVERSE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why don't you visit Intercot's sister sites
WebDisney (http://www.webdisney.com)
Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com)

TiggerRPh
11-01-2001, 12:32 PM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gifHappy Birthday Jill http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

Have a great trip....Mark is my hero!

HE'S DA MAN!!!

------------------
...the most wonderful things about Tiggers, is I'm the only one.

Ray(aka TiggerRPh)
Intercot Staff : Disney & Orlando Dining; The Water Cooler

-------------------------
"Great tragedy has come to us, and we are meeting it with the best that is in our country, with courage and concern for others because this is America. This is who we are. This is what our enemies hate and have attacked. And this is why we will prevail."

George W. Bush

"We Go On"
-------------------------
Need some cool Disney stuff? CDs? Movies? Books? T-Shirts? Art? You name it, you can find it here at the The Intercot Store (http://www.intercot.com/store/default.asp) and support Intercot at the same time! Click now! Don't wait!

Jul
11-01-2001, 12:45 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

You have an incredible husband!

Have a great time (and don't worry about the kids, I'm sure they're in good hands http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif )

I can't wait to hear about it when you get back.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jul (edited November 01, 2001).]

JimmyC
11-01-2001, 01:18 PM
WHHOOOOHOOHOOOOO!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICKEYMOM!!!!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

Mark, you ROCK! http://www.intercot.com/boards/sunglasses.gif (Make sure to pack some Rolaids for all the Tea Cup rides http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink2.gif )

I do believe Mark has earned a snowblower for the winter http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
All That Glitters is not good, it's evil......

Chigger
11-01-2001, 01:39 PM
My heart was racing reading the ups and downs of your surprise story. This is the absolute coolest and the lengths you went to making sure everything fell into place.
Have the best birthday Jill! I have every confidence you will!

Ed
11-01-2001, 01:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimmyC:
I do believe Mark has earned a snowblower for the winter http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or at least his very own Bigmouth Billy Bass with a lifetime supply of batteries !

------------------
Ed, aka TiggTigg5
[email protected]
Intercot Staff Imagineer

________
Ducati ST2 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Ducati_ST2)

Patricia
11-01-2001, 01:53 PM
Aaawwwww.. How sweet is Mark???
Talk about your dreams come true...

Jill, you have such great Birthdays!!
I can't wait to see what you ask for next year. http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

I'm going to be thinking of your celebration all weekend now... I'm so looking forward to the trip report!

Have a Happy Disney Birthday!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

ºoº

------------------
Patricia
Vice President, INTERCOT Operations
[email protected]

God bless America..

Visit all of our family sites:
Intercot: (http://www.Intercot.com) Walt Disney World Inside & Out
Intercotwest: (http://www.Intercotwest.com) Disneyland Inside & Out
Webdisney: (http://www.webdisney.com) The Definitive Guide To Disney On The Internet
Intercot Radio: (http://www.intercot.com/radio/default.asp) Featuring the sounds of the Disney Theme Parks!

EvaBryan
11-01-2001, 02:20 PM
First -
Mark - you are a wonderful husband and Jill is a lucky woman. Surprising a spouse is harder than surprising kids and I am so glad that you could pull it off. You diary was a treat to read.

Second -
Bryan is now complaining that you have raised the bar for all of the other men of Intercot. http://www.intercot.com/boards/biggrin.gif I printed this out for him and I let him know that he has less than 2 1/2 years to plan my big 30th Birthday Bash. http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink.gif

Third -
Jill - Have a *WONDERFUL* birthday. You are so blessed - beautiful kids, a loving husband and a birthday at Walt Disney World. Enjoy it!!!!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/ksmile.gif

------------------
We're going to Disney World!!!!!

December 7 - 18, 2001
First Anniversary Trip
Sheraton Vistana Villages and Wilderness Lodge

TheSorcererofFantasia
11-01-2001, 02:50 PM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif Happy Birthday Jill!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif

Mark you have out done yourself! I'm still trying to dry the tears. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

Wishing you both a wonderful weekend filled with joy and surprises!

Can't wait to hear all about how it went!

------------------
Cher (aka TheSorcererofFantasia)

"It's not hard to do the right thing. It's hard to know what the right thing is. Once you know what the right thing is, it's hard not to do the right thing."

We go on... to the joy and through the tears

Moving on... with each rising sun to a new day...

Nicola Ross
11-01-2001, 03:16 PM
Wow!! Wow!! Wow!!

Where do I find such a wonderful man!!

Have a very happy birthday and enjoy your trip to the most magical place on earth!

What a great birthday!

Nicola

------------------
DVC Member

Next WDW trip - not soon enough !

Nicola Ross
11-01-2001, 03:17 PM
Wow!! Wow!! Wow!!

Where do I find such a wonderful man!!

Have a very happy birthday and enjoy your trip to the most magical place on earth!

What a great birthday!

Nicola

------------------
DVC Member

Next WDW trip - not soon enough !

dpamac
11-01-2001, 03:55 PM
Happy Birthday Jill!

And all this time we thought Mark was just one big goofball!

Have a great time together!

------------------
Gary(aka dpamac)
HAL 9000.1.201
[email protected]
President, INTERCOT Operations

Visit Our Intercot Family Sites. All Disney, all the time:

Webdisney (http://www.webdisney.com): More Disney than you can shake a stick at.
Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com): Disneyland Inside & Out

Need some cool Disney stuff? CDs? Movies? Books? T-Shirts? Art? You name it, you can find it here at the The Intercot Store (http://www.intercot.com/store/default.asp) and support Intercot at the same time! Click now! Don't wait!

"You're the ruler of the galaxy! Show a little taste!"

mikki.young
11-01-2001, 04:09 PM
Happy Birthday Jill http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

Have a wonderful trip http://www.intercot.com/boards/ksmile.gif

------------------
Mikki Young
Intercot staff - DVC and trip reports
[email protected]

WDW 19 Trips since 1987
DLP 11 trips since 1992 including opening day
Disneyland California 1 trip
Tokyo Disneyland - not yet!

WDWaddict
11-01-2001, 04:18 PM
Jill, I hope you have the best Birthday ever because you already have the best husband ever.

http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif Happy Birthday! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

Mark like the others before have told you... You Rock!

------------------
°o° Angie - WDWaddict °o°

God Bless America

I am here because I LOVE this place.

mpgirl
11-01-2001, 04:40 PM
I wanted to celebrate my 40th b-day at WDW and ended up planning the whole trip myself! (leaving in 2 weeks!) Hey, at least I am going! What a great "gift" for your wife! Have a wonderful time. I can't wait to read about the big suprise and the trip reports!
http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif Happy Birthday! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

------------------
mpgirl
LUV WDW!!!!

Dizneyana
11-01-2001, 05:03 PM
Okay, now that I am done bawling like a newborn.... &lt;sniff&gt;

Jill, if you EVER decide to dump Mark, (yeah, right... http://www.intercot.com/boards/sarcblink.gif )... Can you put me at the top of his rebound list?? http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink2.gif Kidding of course.... Mark, you are way too sweet... Jill, you are a lucky girl!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif HAVE THE BEST 30th BIRTHDAY EVER, JILL!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif

We'll be expecting a 9 page trip report from each of you upon your return.... http://www.intercot.com/boards/ksmile.gif

------------------
Tracey AKA Ðizzy

"To all that come to this
happy place, welcome!"

Disneyland: 400+ times
WDW: 1994

Proud to be an American!!
We will go on...

spiceypj
11-01-2001, 05:48 PM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif Happy, Happy Birthday Jill http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

this is a wonderful surprise - the trip will be everything that you both wanted it to be.
http://www.intercot.com/boards/ksmile.gif

------------------

disneydeb
11-01-2001, 07:36 PM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif

------------------
as my five year old gets off Space Mountain, "THAT WAS THE BEST ONE YET!"

BrerGnat
11-01-2001, 07:52 PM
Jill:
Have a Happy 30th Birthday! You are sooooooooo lucky!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/party.gif

Mark:
My 30th birthday is on October 1, 2008...could you contact my husband so he can start planning something like this??? http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink.gif

...you are one devoted husband, but I think some of this trip is to feed your own Disney World craving , no? http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Disney Bride-June 28,2001

[This message has been edited by BrerGnat (edited November 01, 2001).]

Michael Darling
11-01-2001, 10:34 PM
Michael Darling sings:
"Happy birthday to you, you post at a zoo, we all look like monkeys, and we smell like them too!" http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

------------------
--"Michael Darling"
I'm single and need a date for Friday or Saturday night. Any lovely ladies want to see a movie? :)

Proud(?) Member of Wizzy's Insomniac Club!
Frustrated member of Disney Teen's singles club!

If I dance well, can I still dance?

I like to change my signature randomly.

Sorry, I don't think I could swim THAT far! :-P

ghp918
11-01-2001, 10:35 PM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/surprised.gif WOW http://www.intercot.com/boards/surprised.gif What a great job Mark! I am so happy for you guys! I celebrated my birthday at the world in September and it was 100% perfect! Hope you have as much fun as I did!
http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif

------------------
----------------------------
Gail aka ghp918
self proclaimed Disney Addict... the first step to recovery is admitting you have I problem. I see no problem.

1983 (Off-site)
1986 (Off-site
1989 (Caribbean Beach)
1997 (Disney Village)
04/01 (Port Orleans French Quarter)
06/01 Disneyland
9/01 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Floridian, and Wilderness Lodge!!!
Next Trip...
02/02 AKL (It was so good, we are going back!)
Definitely 9/11-9/19/02 Yacht Club (3 nights) and Disney Wonder (4 nights)

MnDloveDisney
11-01-2001, 11:08 PM
Happy Birthday Jill! Have a great time at Disney! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif What a wonderful place to spend your birthday!

Loved reading this diary, Mark. It was like a cliffhanger! What a great husband you are!

Can't wait to hear all about spilling the beans and your trip! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Visits:
'82,'83,'84,'85,'86,'87,'88,'89,'90,'91,'95
Honeymoon-December 2000 at Port Orleans
2001 Trips:June 2001 - ASTD Conference (sneaking some Disney in between!)
December 2001 - All-Star Music

Dawn
11-02-2001, 04:42 AM
Happy birthday Jill - you have a seriously cool husband.

Have a great trip!!

------------------
"Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life." - Walt Disney

Pixie Dust
11-02-2001, 06:59 AM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif Happy Birthday!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif

What a wonderful story, and you are such a loving husband!! I am sure you will enjoy your 30th birhtday at Disney, I know I did!!

Have a wonderful trip!

------------------
Pam AKA Pixie Dust
Intercot Staff : Disney & Orlando Dining

[email protected]

Those who have not been just can't imagine what they are missing.

Life is magical, share it with those you love and watch it grow.

Lady Beth
11-02-2001, 10:15 AM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/biggrin.gif
Happy, Happy Birthday, Jill!!

What a wonderful surprise, Mark! And such sweet words about Janet - a mom's buttons could pop with pride. Thanks!

Hope your trip is supercalifragilisticexpialidosious!!!!!
That's the only word that could possibly describe this gift.

Lady Beth

------------------

LottaLubes
11-02-2001, 12:48 PM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/crying.gif
This is the most romantic story I've heard in a long time! (There wasn't a happy animated smiley with tears so I had to use sad animated.)

Mark, what a GREAT story! Jill, I can't imagine what you are going to think after reading this thread. The good news is, you have 9 years to plan for Mark's 40th!

I hope you are having a wonderful birthday!
http://www.intercot.com/boards/rollsmile.gif

------------------
We go on... to the joy and through the tears
Moving on... with each rising sun to a new day...

miasmom
11-02-2001, 08:52 PM
Jill - Happy Birthday to a lucky lady.

Mark - you can certainly be forgiven for not doing the laundry!!! What a guy!

:animatedsmile :animatedsmile :animatedsmile :animatedsmile

------------------
CBR - May '98
Swan - Jan '00
Offsite - Oct '00
All Star Music - Dec '01

wendy*darling
11-04-2001, 02:30 PM
WOW... I am so late reading this.

You guys have been in WDW celebrating for days now. I can't wait to read your trip reports.

This was one fantastic idea. I know my husband wouldn't think of it (although he does come up with some good ones now and then), but I can start planning NOW for our 20th wedding anniversay in 2003 http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

Thanks for the idea Mark http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Linda aka: wendy*darling
Intercot Staff: Disney & Orlando Dining
[email protected]

DVC owners at the Wilderness Lodge Villas
WDW:
4/92 (MK day trip only); 9/93 (Poly); 10/96 (DL & BC); 6/98 (YC); 2/00 (Contemporary); 12/00 (BWI); 6/01(FW tent camping with the Boy Scouts!!)
Next trip: June 2002 (PO-FQ and VWL)

roses
11-07-2001, 11:38 AM
graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

WOW!!!!!!

That is the greatest present and suprise I have ever read in my entire life. Now, only if Doug would do something like this... graemlins/winky.gif

Hope your trip was wonderful. Happy Belated birthday Jill! Sorry I read this so late!

WDWFanatic
11-08-2001, 09:25 AM
Wow! Thank you Mark for sharing your diary with us. What a great keepsake for Jill, not that the trip alone won't be. wink_smile.gif

I can't wait to hear all about the trip.

graemlins/cake.gif Happy Birthday Jill! graemlins/cake.gif

ghp918
11-09-2001, 05:21 PM
Mark, I am dying to hear how everything went! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

gottaloveWDW
11-10-2001, 06:53 PM
Oh please! Please tell us how it went!! It seems as though I have been waiting forever to see how the surprise went!!!

hyphen
11-11-2001, 08:56 AM
This is better than a book with sequils (sp?). This time it happend in real life. I can't wait to hear how it turned out! That is so wonderfully romantic graemlins/clappy.gif I know no matter the weather or closures in the parks, you two had the most wonderful time ever just because of the love between the two of you!!!! :D Please type soon and let us know the whole story!