PDA

View Full Version : FOOD AND WINE FESTIVAL?

Erlesgirl
09-27-2001, 08:27 AM
I have been to Disney only eight times but have never attended the Food and Wine Festival. Any suggestions to either booking a dinner or should we just GRAZE all over the world for the first time? Also is there anything that I should not miss? Thanks, my husband and I will be there Oct 27th to the 31st.

tinkerbell
09-27-2001, 05:56 PM
This will be our first food and wine festival too (leaving 10/30) My DH is very adventurous when it comes to food but me and my son are not, so I kind of figured we would just graze so he could try all the things he wanted and me and my son could stick to what we know we like. I have the same question of Are there some things that should not be missed?

------------------
Just a little bit of Pixie dust is all you need!

Piglet822
09-27-2001, 08:40 PM
We've always enjoyed walking around and grazing. If something looked good, we tried it. Each country will have a sample that you can see, and a recipe card listing the ingredients. Plus if you like it, you can make it at home. don't worry about eating that day, you'll be stuffed. Last year each sample was in the price range of $2 - $4 if memory serves (which it hasn't too well lately, lol). And don't forget the wine!! I don't drink myself but have a friend who does. She sampled wine but no food for several countries. We started near Paris, by Italy she was singing http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Jeanne
Disney Cruise Line Bus Driver

And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.

mpgirl
09-27-2001, 10:24 PM
You have ONLY been 8 times..I have only been twice but I just booked my third visit and I can't wait. We were at the wine festival last year. It was nice if you like to try different wines. I suggest grazing! Have fun.

------------------
mpgirl
LUV WDW!!!!

wdwvillain
09-28-2001, 02:55 PM
We make a point of going to the IWFF every year. Here are a couple highlights for us:

-Grazing is the best. My biggest problem is that I run out of hands to hold plates, glasses and eat.(and push the stroller)

-Don't miss the Beer pavillion. It use to be on the main path but they have moved it to the exit/entrance area between UK and France. This is a rare opportunity to taste many limitedly distributed beers on draft.

-There is usually a food booth in the front of World Showcase that changes everyday. Usually features one of the Disney resort resturants. Excellent food choices!

-Check out the poster for the Festival. Personally we love them and have four year's worth hanging in our house. The artist usually is there for signings if you are luck to be there on the right days. Also there is usually some other neat food/cooking related merchandise that you can only get during the Festival and only at Epcot.

-Pace yourself, especially on the wine/beer. One year we took my mother. She wanted to try everything but most of the wines she only took one sip then passed the rest to me. Needless to say I had a rough day. That was the first time I ever took a nap inside one of the parks.

-We have never made a big point of attending the seminars but the cooking demos at the food booths can be very good. (depends on the chef)

-We are trying one of the special evening dinners for the first time this year. They sound wonderful. The offical website has good descriptions of them. I would call ASAP if you are interested. I read somewhere that many of them are booked.

-Make sure you pick up the special Festival guide as soon as you get into Epcot. This will help you plan your attack. It lists all the food booths, much but not all of what each serves, seminars, and other events. Unfortunately I don't think there is anyway to get it ahead of time.

-Be adventurous! Try as much as you can. All the food quality is fantasic. You can see it being made right before your eyes.

-For those of you that are geeky like me. Check out all the infrastructure that Epcot adds just for the Festival. Each booth is a complete working commercial kitchen, that is put in place just for the Festival! The level of organization absolutely amazes me.

Sorry if this post was long but this is our favorite event at WDW. Have fun. I know we will.

------------------
"Good and evil, there never is one without the other." (Merlin in Excalibur)

DVC Member
Boardwalk Villas
Hilton Head

Next trip Oct 2001 - Our 5th Wine & Food Fest

Pd844
09-28-2001, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your info. I too will be down there during the festival. It is my first time to be there during the festival. I can't wait. (Nov 2-9)

------------------

Erlesgirl
09-28-2001, 07:13 PM
Thanks so much for all the info, especially Wdwvillain, WOW I'm now so excited I can't wait! My hubby and I will be there Oct 27 till 31, maybe at the same time as some Intercot's. Trip nine here we come.

------------------
Erlesgirl