PDA

View Full Version : TRIP TIPS IF TRAVELING WITH YOUNG KIDS

imaprincess!
09-23-2001, 09:48 PM
I just returned last night, and here are some tips I'd like to offer if you're traveling with young children:

* Pack snacks - I took pretzels one day, Teddy Grahams on another, etc. Also took some juice boxes each day and two empty water bottles, which we consistently filled at water fountains throughout the day. I was worried that they would make me get rid of the snacks when my bag was checked at the gates, but they never did.

* Have a stroller for each child - We brought our own and rented one. My kids are ages 5 and 3. It's just an exhausting amount of walking for them and the heat just compounded it. Once we rented the second stroller, we were able to pick up the pace and the kids were happier.

* Bring a long, light-weight blanket to keep the sun out of the stroller. Sometimes, even with the roof on the stroller, the sun gets in and bothers the kids.

* Bring your rain ponchos! We had extras and were able to use them to cover up the strollers (they were clear so the children could see) during a rain storm at Epcot. Even in the rain, we were able to keep going. I also brought 4 compact/folding umbrellas. We used them when it rained and also to get a break from the hot sun.

If I think of other hints, I'll post them!

------------------

TheInventor'sDaughter
09-25-2001, 01:49 PM
Thanks Princess! That clear poncho idea is one I didn't even think about!!

------------------
1972, Orlando Campground; 1988-94, Orlando-area resident (frequent visits); 1992, PO; 1993, Dolphin; 1996, WL; 1996, D.Inst.; 1997, BW Inn; April 2001, Wild. Home; Nov. 2001, BWV & OKW

We go on...to the joy and through the tears
We go on...to discover new frontiers
Moving on...with the courage of the years
We go on...moving forward now as one
We go on...with a spirit born to run
Moving on...with each rising sun to a new day...

Triptaker
09-26-2001, 07:43 PM
Here's another idea... let your child take a favorite stuffed animal into the parks with you. My daughter (3yo) ended up using her stuffed bear as a pillow (in strollers & resteraunt floors) and to make new friends. She "shared" her bear with other kids while in lines or on the monorail or buses, and a lot of CMs commented about her bear. The bear even got to "dance" with characters at breakfasts!
Of course there were four adults to help make sure we didn't leave him anywhere (except in strollers when we went in lines).

------------------