PDA

View Full Version : FRS radio use in the parks--can someone answer a question?

aristocatmom
09-02-2001, 10:18 PM
We were thinking we would like to get a couple of the FRS radios to use on our upcoming trip since the 4 of us plan to split up frequently to experience different attractions. The guy at the store told me I really would need the kind with 14 channels and 38 sub-channels to make any use of them....so other people wouldn't be talking on the same frequencies as we would be. Has anyone got experience they could share with me about this? How often would others be talking on the same frequency and how bothersome is it? I can imagine with the huge crowds at WDW this really could be a problem. Thanks! http://www.intercot.com/boards/confused.gif

------------------
Aristocatmom

"Everybody wants to be a cat"

Tucci
09-02-2001, 10:37 PM
My family uses the radio thingys a lot in the theme parks because we are forced to split up a lot. (Me and my father do all the big rides and my sister and my mother don't) I have used them in Disney once or twice in Disney, all in the month of August, and I have also used them in Busch Gardens, VA and Six Flags, NJ and have not had to use all of those channels (even though we have them) I have only had problems with other people on the same channel two or three times in all the times I've used them. But I still think that should get one with a good number of channels on them. But 38 sub-channels is crazy. You definitely do not need that many. I think that something like 15 channels with maybe 5 sub-channels would be more than enough and it would also be cheaper. But I do not know how many channels they make on each radio.

------------------
-The Tucci

auntfrannie
09-03-2001, 07:13 AM
We used them in all four parks a couple weeks ago. Only occasionally did we hear other conversations. They were definitely worth using!

------------------

LottaLubes
09-03-2001, 07:21 AM
We will be using these walkie talkies for the first time on our upcoming trip. Someone at Intercot awhile back offered what I think is an excellent suggestion. If you are on the walkies and notice interference, don't say over the air where you will be moving to (example, don't say switch to channel 4, sub 3). For one thing if you get kids fooling around, they will keep following your stations just to bug you...or, the person you are interferring might be thinking they should be the ones moving over and you have the same problem over again.

The Intercotee (I'm sorry, I can't remember who!) suggested to have pre-determined options available. For example: lets switch to "our anniversary" would mean you would go to the month of your anniversary for the channel and the sub-channel would be the day of your anniversary. So, if you were married on April, 3rd and you are told to go to your anniversary, you would switch to Channel 4, sub-3.

You can also have your kids birthdays or whatever as alternatives. Then anyone listening would have no idea where you are going on your radio.

------------------

PolyGirl40
09-03-2001, 09:14 AM
We used them in March without a single problem. We did have the sub-channels. I think they are a must.

I'm going to move this over to the Vacation Planning Forum for you. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Carol, aka PolyGirl40
INTERCOT (http://www.intercot.com/default.asp) Staff Member
[email protected]

"To get to the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Planning a trip to Central Florida? Let Ibex Towncar (http://www.ibextowncar.com/) meet you at the airport!

Click Here (http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/) for a Disney Vacation Quote.

WDWdriver
09-03-2001, 11:01 AM
You do need the subchannels. The basic channels are very busy at the Disney parks, and the constant chatter can be annoying.

------------------
Ron
Intercot moderator

I'm growing older but not up

Bound4WDW
09-03-2001, 09:20 PM
My husband and I researched FRS radios quite some time ago for use in Disney, Fishing, Shopping and other times we would have to be separated. We determined that it is a must to have multiple channels/sub-channels and even privacy options.

A close friend gave my son a pair of FRS radios for Christmas. They had 14 channels with no sub channels. We did not want to offend him so we kept them.

We have used the radios for shopping and for other events but always in a limited environment.

We tried to use them at Disney in April and gave up after a time. That particular day people were extremely inconsiderate and changing channels did not help. We are buying better radios in the very near future.

You don't necessarily have to spend a lot. Just compare features.

Hope you have a GREAT time!

------------------
No signature required.

RannXerox
09-04-2001, 08:54 PM
For the people who have used these at WDW, what kind of range should someone get if they were going to get these. If I was in TL and someone else was in AL, would we be able to connect? What other options do they have?

------------------
Rann Xerox

Dixie Landings (before saying Dixie was not PC)
Port Orleans (my Fav. Mod.)
Coronado Springs
Wilderness Lodge
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Next up: Polynesian!

NLODisney
09-05-2001, 02:29 PM
We used our Motorola Talkabouts with sub channels on our last three trips. In March we could talk to my sister at the Poly while we were on the monorail going all the way around the loop. The kids called her at each stop we made. There was some static while we were in the Cont but it cleared up as soon as we were outside. We also used them at the All Star Music and they worked from inside our room which was in building 5 in the back of the resort to the arcade in the main building. They are a great thing to have when you are splitting up to go separate ways. I beleive they say they have a 2 mile range but sometimes if you are inside a building and are a long ways apart you have some static.

------------------

MickeyMark
09-05-2001, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RannXerox:
For the people who have used these at WDW, what kind of range should someone get if they were going to get these. If I was in TL and someone else was in AL, would we be able to connect? What other options do they have?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will probably be able to talk from Tomorrowland to Adventureland, but it could be static-y. The advertised range is "up to 2 miles", but expect it to be a tad under a mile while both radios are outside, but if one or both are inside, the range will suffer.

The 38 subchannels are a must (you cannot get radios with just a few subchannels), and the idea of using predetermined settings like anniversaries or children's birthdays is excellent. Jill and I use our anniversary, and if there is too much traffic (which hasn't happened) we move to our youngest son's birthday.

MM

------------------
Mark (aka MickeyMark)
[email protected]
Intercot (http://www.intercot.com) Staff Member
Trips: 8/1980 - 9/1999 - 2/2000 - 12/2000 - 2/2001 - 4/2001 - 2/2002?
WRONG LEVERRRRR!

wdworbust
09-07-2001, 11:43 AM
We used them in Aug. and they were a great help. Instead of meeting at a predetermined time we would just try to call each other at a predetermined time. No sitting and wasting time waiting for someone to show up. (Time that can be used on the rides!)

Get the sub-channels and use birthdays or other important dates for codes. We had no interference using this system. Just listen to channel 1, sub-channel 1 and you'll hear a steady stream of people trying to figure out where they are and where to meet. It's a real mess.

As far as range goes, the farthest ours reached was from Alien encounter in TL to Splash mt.

BTW get some with re-chargable batteries. $$$ saver.

------------------