PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak

apollo
08-11-2001, 07:34 PM
We are considering the train for our trip in October. Has anyone taken the train from the Boston area to Orlando? (not the auto train) I've heard it is better to get off at the Kissimmee stop? Is this true? How is the ride and the serice? Any info would be great. Thanks for the help.

------------------

EvaBryan
08-11-2001, 08:22 PM
I had pondered the Amtrak route about ten years ago when I was in college with no cash and airfare was priced through the roof.

I was going from NY to Orlando/Kissimmee - thank god I didn't have to go that way because the estimated travel time was almost 20 hours! I have heard that the station in Kissimmee is much closer to WDW; therefore, taxi fare should be much cheaper.

Is there a reason why you don't want to fly? If it is because of cost, flying is usually much cheaper.

If it is because of a flying phobia, I am sorry I can't help you there. My mother suffers from a terrible fear of flying and has only flown twice in the last 20 years. She drives to Florida.

------------------

apollo
08-11-2001, 08:42 PM
thanks evabryan.Yes it is because my wife is afraid of flying.We did look at the cost,and they were about the same.We have driven the last three years.But that's getting old,and with the price of gas these days I don't want to take out a second morgage to drive.

------------------

EvaBryan
08-11-2001, 09:14 PM
I don't blame you. Our family never expected gas to go as high as it has. My mother has suddenly learned to like flying.

I have taken Amtrak as far as Virginia and I can say it is ok. Not great, but better than driving by myself. I didn't need a sleeper car or anything, so I sat upright for the 9 hour ride.

My grandparents took a cross-country trip via Amtrak three months before my grandfather died and they really liked it. It was something they always wanted to do and they did it for their 50th anniversary. Granted, the scenery going to FL will be nothing like the Rocky Mountains like they saw, but it probably is no worse than looking at I-95.

One more tip: this past June we flew JetBlue. I know they are starting to fly out of Logan, although I don't know if they go direct to Orlando yet (we took it from JFK). My mother now calls it the "airline for people who hate flying." I raved about them in my trip reports - professional, courteous and friendly, the staff was the best I have ever seen (domestic, anyway - British Airways is also great). Everyone gets their own TV, which is a great distraction. My mom was so busy watching Animal Planet she didn't even know we had landed!

------------------

DisneyWizard
08-12-2001, 01:00 AM
Um, well I haven't done it from Boston to Orlando, but I have travelled from Detroit to Chicago and back! http://www.intercot.com/boards/embarass.gif

I had a nice time - overall it was a pleasant experience. Bring your own food on the trip though - the train's food is expensive and not all that nice. http://www.intercot.com/boards/pukey.gif

------------------
-Casey
(Kc, Wizzy, DizWiz)

"...I say believe in the future. The world is getting better."
-Walt Disney

SteveL
08-12-2001, 02:29 PM
My son did it by Amtrak from Philly. He said never again. The train stopped in every town along the way and it took something like 21 hours. Heck, we can drive it in only 16.

------------------
SteveL
Intercot Staff Member
[email protected]

Personal hero: Jethro Bodine

marcusg
08-12-2001, 07:50 PM
We go to the world with my in-laws frequently, and He refuses to fly, so we send them from Philly by train. We fly down and meet them at the train station.

The trip from Philly is about 17 hours, and we get them a sleeper room, and whenerver one is available we get them a handicapped room (He has a bone disease and She has cancer).

With the sleeper it is very expensive, but the seats in "coach" would be unbearable for Him after more3 than an hour.

We went with them on the train the 1st time, and it was OK. But it was a long, long trip.
(We can fly from DC in less than 2 hours.)

You do stop for between 10 and 20 minutes lots of times, and the "scenery" is often little more that small-town industrial districts.

If you can bring yourself to fly, I'd highly recommend it, and if you can do the airline mentioned in the previous reply, that sounds like a good idea.

Otherwise, the train isn't too bad.

Have fun!

------------------
Greg
------------

EtteDMS
08-25-2001, 08:36 PM
Sorry this took me so long. Just noticed the question now. A year ago August we got value liner sleepers for the family (one of the small, two-bed rooms for kids and one right across for us) from New York City. It was more expensive but we love sleeper train travel, and for us it was part of the vacation. For just two people the price wouldn't be too bad. The rooms were immaculate, the dining room food (included in cost) was wonderful (not to be confused with the snacks available in lounge car -- it has a full diner with amazing dinners)and laying in your bed and watching the world go by at night is, to me, one of the great pleasures in life. Since we were renting a car from Hertz, we rode into the Orlando station, where the friendly Hertz van was there right we we arrived, even though we were about an hour late, and whisked us to the airport for our car, free of charge. I'd highly recommend the Amtrak valueliners.

------------------
Disney World makes you believe in Magic!

Trips:
1978 - Holiday Inn Main Gate (outside)
1985 - Holiday Inn Main Gate (outside)
1986 - Days Inn International Drive (outside)
1987 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing (outside)
1988 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing (outside)
1994 - Fort Wilderness Homes
1999 - Fort Wilderness Homes
2000 - Fort Wilderness Homes
Coming Soon:
2001 - Any of the following: Fort Wilderness Homes, Contemporary, DoubleTree Guest Suites

EtteDMS
08-25-2001, 09:28 PM
Forgot to mention. If you have a AAA card it's good for 10 percent off coach fare on Amtrak. Now even if you book a bedroom, you still get 10 percent off what the coach fare would be to your destination. Every bit helps.

------------------
Disney World makes you believe in Magic!

Trips:
1978 - Holiday Inn Main Gate (outside)
1985 - Holiday Inn Main Gate (outside)
1986 - Days Inn International Drive (outside)
1987 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing (outside)
1988 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing (outside)
1994 - Fort Wilderness Homes
1999 - Fort Wilderness Homes
2000 - Fort Wilderness Homes
Coming Soon:
2001 - Any of the following: Fort Wilderness Homes, Contemporary, DoubleTree Guest Suites