PDA

View Full Version : Sneakers vs. Sandals

MissB
08-13-2002, 02:44 PM
Which would you recommend? We will be going around the begining of Sept. and it seems like it will be too hot for sneakers. What do you think? Any advice would be helpful. Can we list brands? graemlins/crazy.gif

DisneyTeen
08-13-2002, 02:52 PM
I go with sandals, i really like them and adidas has a sandal with little "nubs" on the sole that you walk on, this makes it not that bad, the only bad part about sandals is the tan line that is left on your feet.

CanadaEh28
08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
I would definetly chose sandals. I wear sandals all the time (except when there's snow on the ground) I am bringing sandals when I go in October and will probably wear them the whole time. The one thing that I can suggest is bringing a pair of sneakers just in case.

muppetaphrodite
08-13-2002, 03:03 PM
SANDALS!

A good pair of sandals with a bit of cushioning will do you well, though. Avoid flip-flops if you can. Might even want to bring a pair of socks in case it gets chilly (if you don't mind the fashion faux pas).

You see, the weather here is so...erratic, that it's often impossible to avoid being caught in a torrential downpour. I don't know about you, but there's little else I hate more than walking around in squishy, slimy sneakers all day. graemlins/doubleeek.gif It's happened multiple times to me and my family this summer, and now I only wear sandals to the parks.

Enjoy your trip!

--muppetaphrodite

xipetotec
08-13-2002, 03:13 PM
What can I say, I was trained in mountaineering, so I used Hiking Boots myself with ( get ready for this... ) Wool Socks.... Sure it SOUNDS hot, but you know, it really wasn't bad. And Wool socks will protect you MUCH better against any kind of blisters than cotton socks would ( Of course, with sandals, there ARE no socks :D )

SpecJoe Magic
08-13-2002, 04:27 PM
I am going to be the different opinion here by saying that I like to wear sneakers. I just cannot imagine wearing sandals to the parks. I have always worn sneakers inside of the the theme parks at WDW. I think that sneakers are more comfortable to walk on all day. My feet are very sensitive though, so maybe sandals just don't agree with me. We usually go to WDW in June so I wear the sneakers during a hot and rainy time of year, and sneakers work great for me.

[ August 13, 2002, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: SpecJoe Magic ]

imported_PolyGirl40
08-13-2002, 05:11 PM
I take both. I wear sneakers in the morning and switch to Birkenstock sandals in the afternoon.

I'm moving this down to the Vacation Planning forum for you.

TinkRocks
08-13-2002, 05:19 PM
I usually wear sneakers 'cos they're more comfortable for those long days in the parks.

Wear what is comfortable for you. If you're not sure - take both!

MissB
08-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all your help, but now I'm even more confused :confused:

I think I will bring both, but will need to purchase both. Can anyone recommend any good, lightweight sneakers? How about good walking sandals? I like the thong, flip flop style??

THanks smile.gif

GoofyWill
08-13-2002, 06:12 PM
I would highly reccommend New Balance sneakers. I bought my first pair a year ago and they are much more comfortable than Reebok and Adidas.

TwoTinyWings
08-13-2002, 07:31 PM
I'll weigh in with my recommendation for Teva sandals. I've had my pair for...oh, about 4 or 5 years now, and they're still in great shape. Definitely a good investment. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I generally prefer sandals in the summer to sneakers (my feet just feel too hot in sneakers!), and Tevas offer more support and cushioning than most kinds of sandals. In my opinion, they're better than Birkenstocks because they do better (read: feel better) when they get wet -- a good quality to have when you're walking around World Showcase Lagoon in a mid-day summer rainstorm, or getting extra-drenched on Splash Mountain. graemlins/mickey.gif

Clay Ransone
08-13-2002, 07:52 PM
I personally would not even think about going to WDW without my adidas. I have a wonderful pair of adidas trail runners that have made it to two trips to WDW, half of last years Redskins home schedule(I switched to adidas hiking boots for the 2nd half), and both the Old Dominion men's and women's basketball seasons. The adidas trail runners are light weight and dry very fast(you may even be able to find some with Gortex). My only advice is to break in the shoes and make sure you have good socks. A great shoe will still give you blisters if your socks are in bad shape...

WDWLori
08-13-2002, 08:38 PM
I would recommend sneakers that are really broken in. Disney World is huge, there's always a lot of walking, standing, and hurdeling around and through the crowds. Sandals are better if you're not planning on walking a lot. I also recommend shoes for walking to the pools and beaches. You're hotel room may not be very close to the pool and you don't want to burn your feet on hot concrete.

Katmegali
08-13-2002, 10:41 PM
I think it all goes on you everyday perfence. I love my sandals and usually wear them every day when not at work (wear combat boots then graemlins/doubleeek.gif ). They have thick soles and are so comfortable. I love my flipflop sandals but wouldn't walk in them for long days though. They have to be my thick-soled sandals for long walking periods. One day just to try it out (dh kept telling me to wear sneakers), I wore my sneakers. I hated them and my feet ached, they sweated and were overall uncomfortable.
Now dh swears by his sneakers and loves them for long days. swears they are more comfortable.
Everyone is different and i would try both to check your perfence

[ August 14, 2002, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Katmegali ]

MissB
08-14-2002, 07:12 AM
Thanks everyone! I went ahead and ordered a pair of New Balance - thanks to GoofyWill ;)

I also ordered a pair of sandals that look like teva's with the thick sole but have the thong top.
Can't remember the brand, tho.

Now lets hope they get here in plenty of time for me to break them in before 9/12 graemlins/muscles.gif

ChipnDaleGal
08-14-2002, 07:22 AM
We are sneaker people. You do so much walking during a day at WDW that unless your sandals are very broken in, they can rub and give you blisters. A blister at WDW is tough to deal with because the next day when your foot is sore you need to be walking again. I think comfortable sneakers with socks are best. Also, the pavement gets so hot I think socks and shoes help protect your feet from that too. But, as with most things, there are going to be fans of both kinds of footwear. I think the most important thing is to make sure whatever you choose is broken in and very comfortable so no rubbing occurs when you walk.

Goofster
08-14-2002, 10:20 AM
I would never dream of wearing anything but sandals to WDW. I figure I'm in Florida!! Why would I cover my feet from the sun?! Anyways, I just got back from the world and I wore my thong style flip flops from Target non-stop. I wore them to Epcot, the studios, MK, and AK. I also took a pair of my Doc martin sandals, but never wore them. I had a great tan on my feet, which I can't get up here in Michigan! My feet were never sore. :D

Stephen McNutt
08-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Definitely sneakers! I wore sandels one year; BAD idea! graemlins/shakehead.gif You will be doing LOTS of walking!! I would hate for you to wear your feet out (no pun intended) on your first day in the park. New Balance (make sure you break them in first) and cushy socks! Your feet will love you for it after a fun day! graemlins/muscles.gif

Stephen

Fort Wilderness 75
Contemporary 77
Polynesian 91
WDW Hilton 00
WDW Hilton 02 (September) "Here we come!"

Beignet
08-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Sandals!!!! I wore my Tevas all over Disney and only bought one other pair of nice shoes for dining and dancing.

On the other hand, my hunny loves his sneakers and socks~ which you would never catch me in...

What do you usually wear walking around for day at your local mall or city? That would probably be the best thing you could wear to Disney. If you're getting new shoes, break them in very well!!!

graemlins/crazy.gif

singermom4
08-14-2002, 06:10 PM
I'm wondering how comfortable thong sandals would be with a lot of walking - seems like you would get blisters. I'm also a New Balance fan though I will warn you that they are not 'lightweight' shoes - they do seem to provide the best support. I love one pair of my Birkenstock sandals but get blisters from the other :( .

GrandFlo
08-14-2002, 08:03 PM
I have bad feet. All shoes hurt. :(

My podiatrist said I should wear New Balance. For me they are the best, they have the best support and come in various widths. Just make sure to break them in before you go.

MKPlutoGuy
08-14-2002, 08:08 PM
I take both as well. Some days my feet feel like sandals, and I'm just too lazy to put on sneakers, but other days sneakers are a must!

For all the walking around, sneakers are more comfortable for my feet. I would reccomend walking a few miles everyday for a month before your trip so you're used to all the walking you'll be doing at WDW! smile.gif

Flower
08-14-2002, 08:53 PM
Sandals! Nike Abuna's - mine have lasted forever. I love them at all of the parks, if they get wet they are easy to dry off and are not soggy for the rest of the day like runners.

If I do wear runners, either New balance or Asics Gel.