PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance?

ammie
08-16-2001, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure if this post belongs here but here it goes. Has anyone purchased travel insurance? The reason why I'm asking is because I'm planning on going down to WDW 11/24-12/1. I want to purchase the MVMCP tix and tix for the Kennedy Space Center shuttle launch. My parents aren't in the best of health (my dad was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and will be starting his treatment 8/27 followed by surgery a few weeks from then, and my mom has leukemia but is in partial remission). I'm afraid to purchase any tickets because of my parents' conditions. I will be booking everything on my own, no travel agent involved.

If I do purchase insurance, will the cost of my tickets for the events (MVMCP and KSP) be reimbursed, as well as my airline tix and the deposit for my hotel? I never used insurance and am not sure what to expect. Thanks in advance for info you may have http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

~Ammie

Goofy Pluto
08-16-2001, 04:37 PM
If you purchase everything through your travel agent, it should be insured. If you purchase anything outside of that, it probably will not. But I would definitely advise getting it. You never know what could happen that you would miss your trip.

A little story: My wife's parents were planning on taking a cruise. Right before they were to go, her father had a heart attack and they couldn't go. Fortunately they had insurance and were able to get a full refund. If they didn't have insurance, they would have lost everything.

We have insurance on our upcoming WDW trip because you never plan on missing a vacation but you never know what can happen.

PS. My father-in-law was fine, by the way.
------------------
Garsh!

1979 - Polynesian Village
1988 - The Treehouses
1990 - The Treehouses
1997 - The Disney Institute Villas/The Yacht and Beach Club
1999 - The Disney Institute Villas
And coming in October 2001 - The Carribean Beach

[This message has been edited by Goofy Pluto (edited August 16, 2001).]

ammie
08-16-2001, 04:41 PM
I'm glad to hear your FIL was fine. I assume you booked your vacation through a travel agent?

~Ammie

Goofy Pluto
08-17-2001, 10:41 AM
Yes, we booked through a travel agent. We got married last November and we had been kind of jokingly talking about going to WDW for our first anniversary. Well, my sister-in-law got wise to it and gave us a Liberty Travel voucher as a wedding gift. She's basically paying for half our trip. If we hadn't gotten that, I wouldn't have used them probably, or at least I would have looked up better deals than that.

But, anyway, to specifically answer your question, yes, we used a travel agent. That's why we could get the insurance. Now, don't call me an expert and if someone else knows better, speak up, but I don't know if you can get insurance if you don't. But I could definitely be wrong.

------------------
Garsh!

1979 - Polynesian Village
1988 - The Treehouses
1990 - The Treehouses
1997 - The Disney Institute Villas/The Yacht and Beach Club
1999 - The Disney Institute Villas
And coming in October 2001 - The Carribean Beach

ammie
08-17-2001, 01:48 PM
Here is my update. I looked into more and for me and my two boys, it will cost me $30 each, for a total of $90 plus a $5 non-refundable processing fee. Not too bad. Of course the cost depends on the cost of your trip. And they will cover the pre-purchased event tickets (MVMCP for ex.)but only if it's cancelled due to one of their reasons (not because it was rained out). If anyone wants the link for this, email me http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

~Ammie

------------------

DisneyWizard
08-17-2001, 03:13 PM
I would get it. I'd rather spend almost a hundred dollars on insurance than loose a few hundred dollars and miss my trip in case something happened...

------------------
-Casey
(Kc, Wizzy, DizWiz)

"...I say believe in the future. The world is getting better."
-Walt Disney

EvaBryan
08-17-2001, 03:28 PM
I say, go for the insurance.

If there is even a small chance that a member of your family won't be well enough to travel, it is worth the small amount of money to get the insurance. I think if you reserve through the Disney Travel Company they offer insurance.

I recently read a thread on another board where a child broke their leg while on a horseback riding excursion on the Disney Cruise on the second day. The child and father had to fly to the mainland to have it reset. Without the insurance the family would have lost a substantial amount of money.

We never buy insurance because we don't take costly vacations and rarely purchase components where we will lose a lot of money (hotel refundable until a few days prior, airfare not costly - that would be the biggest loss). But, if your trip is costing more than $2,000 I would advise it - most families can't afford to lose that money.

PS - I live in Saint James (right next door to you!!!). I graduated from Smithtown High School East.
------------------

[This message has been edited by EvaBryan (edited August 17, 2001).]

ammie
08-17-2001, 10:02 PM
I never really thought about it as much until recently when my mom got sick and I had my trip to Ft. Myers Beach planned already. It was terrible leaving my cell number with her DR and hoping he doesn't call. But everything turned out ok thank goodness! I really wanted to go back to FL again and my mother-in-law is telling me I'm nuts for taking that chance because of my parents. But you know what? I can't wait around for something bad to happen to them. I need something to look forward to. My kids need it as well.

This thread has gone on long enough LOL

PS: I've noticed you EvaBryan on the boards! I moved out here from Middle Village Queens 4 years ago so I didn't attend Smithtown schools. I am borderline St. James. I've probably run into you at King Kullen! LOL

Sorry Intercot for going off-topic here a bit. I'm done now, really http://www.intercot.com/boards/biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

We never buy insurance because we don't take costly vacations and rarely purchase components where we will lose a lot of money (hotel refundable until a few days prior, airfare not costly - that would be the biggest loss). But, if your trip is costing more than $2,000 I would advise it - most families can't afford to lose that money.

PS - I live in Saint James (right next door to you!!!). I graduated from Smithtown High School East.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>