PDA

View Full Version : WDW guide books...

Chickysmom
06-22-2002, 04:23 PM
Need some advice on a good guide book to WDW. We have never been, and need a lot of info!! Just want to do some reading before trying to plan the big trip. Thanks all! graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Tinkerbellfan
06-22-2002, 04:36 PM
We liked the unofficial guide to disney world. We also liked the HassleFree disney world trip. I went to Barnes and Noble and glanced through a few books.

I would also recommend check this website frequently. I found out better information on this web site than in any book.

Credo96
06-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Check out Passporter. Their guidebook is great.
You can find it at the Passporter site or at major bookstores.

CJDDS
06-22-2002, 07:03 PM
I was checking out the Unofficial Guide for 2002 today at the book store, and found some GLARING errors! ie. they still list the River Cruise as an attraction at AK?????? Normally, I find this and Passporter as the best. Birnbaum's used to be pretty good when it was not endorsed by Disney, but since Disney has supported it, it reads more like a brochure for WDW than an informative guide.

graemlins/mickey.gif

Septbride2002
06-22-2002, 07:20 PM
The guidebook I have used the most is the "Walt Disney World For Couples With or Without Kis 2002-2003" It has lots of insights on all the sit down resturants and all sorts of info on each WDW hotel.

One note though: Their taste on food is very elegant and fancy. My taste is more hotdogs and hamburgers so I suggest checking out the menus here at Intercot before making an PS decisions!

~Amanda

harperwi
06-22-2002, 07:24 PM
I too recommend the unofficial guidebooks, and I also say you can learn A TON of information just by visiting here (and other boards like it) and reading as much as possible. If something doesn't make sense when you read it, post a question about it! No one will ever make you feel like you're out of the loop or asking something stupid, because we've all had to learn it at one point, AND there's really no one on this or any board that knows ALL there is to know about WDW. I doubt anyone would disagree with that comment. smile.gif

Check out the various planning tools that are available too. I personally use Microsoft Excel to create a "timetable," so I can visualize a rough plan of how to spend our time. I end up veering from it often, but it really helps me to have something visual as a foundation.

Also, read trip reports if you really want a first hand account of what others have experienced at the World.

You can check out menus, touring plans, costs and times for this or that. One of my college professors wrote "read your life blind," on my final paper, and that is probably the best advice I can give anyone who wants to make the most of a Disney vacation! smile.gif

(and definitely visit Barnes & Noble if there's one around you, as you can browse the books for a little while without having to buy them! (or if that advice offends anyone, you can always do the same thing at the public library!) smile.gif

Jon

Beast_fanatic
06-22-2002, 10:56 PM
Take a look at this thread (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=007209) discussing the same topic.

EmisDisneyMom
06-22-2002, 11:04 PM
I just bought the "Walt Disney World Guide for Couples 2002-2003 *with or without kids*" book today. I am really enjoying it. I do buy the official Birnbaums Wlat Disney World guide ever 2 years but it is because I want the "official" word on some things and I am picky that way. I do prefer the unofficial guides for general information.

palmbeacheyes
06-23-2002, 03:56 PM
Go to your local library. they have all kinds of books official and unofficial guides.
Have fun!! graemlins/muscles.gif

Mandy
06-23-2002, 04:23 PM
I used to always use the Birnbaum book. But on a whim, I decided to buy the Passporter and I like that book alot better. It gives youthe layouts of the resorts and parks and of the rooms. I think this would be the only book you'd need.
graemlins/muscles.gif

marlyn
06-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Here's another vote for "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World". We used it the first time we went and it was wonderful. I was very prepared thanks to that book!

Brer Mickey
06-24-2002, 01:30 AM
Here are my choices for best guidebooks in ascending order.

1. Passporter.
2. The Unofficial Guide
3. Birnbaum's Official Guide

MaryburkS
06-24-2002, 01:41 AM
One more vote for the Passporter. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I have all the Birnbaum books since the late 80s, but that's more of a collectors thing than a good source of info to me.

The great thing about the Passporter is it's thoroughness. AND I love the pockets in the back for all the individual days. That way I put old receipts, park maps, passes, postcards...really anything in there to keep and look back at. It's a really fun book for the Disney enthusiast. I thought I knew everything there was to know about Disney, but I learned more after reading my Passporter. (Yes I know, I'm a huge dork!)

Anyway...that's my vote! graemlins/mickey.gif

NYRICHIE
06-27-2002, 11:13 AM
i to have never been to disney taking my kids
in october i have both unofficial guide and
passporter. unofficial guide is very detailed
and informative on hotels restaraunts and rides
and attractions. passporter is very brief in description. the book was made to be a memory
holder with pockets and worksheets. i would get the unofficial guide.

Munch
06-27-2002, 11:57 AM
I like Birnbaum's Official for the format. The Passporter is a nice idea, but to bulky to carry around with you. There's also a Birnbaums 'For Kids By Kids' which yours - kids that is - might like. Leafing through guidebooks adds to the fun and helps ease you through the waiting period. Check out any larg bookstore and browse until you find what suits you. As you've seen from this thread - everyone has a different opinion.

Disneypro
06-27-2002, 12:25 PM
If I was going to buy a guidebook, I'd opt for Passporter. But a better question is who needs a guidebook when you have 7368 guides right here at Intercot? ;)

BigFerrell
06-28-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Brer Mickey:
Here are my choices for best guidebooks in ascending order.

1. Passporter.
2. The Unofficial Guide
3. Birnbaum's Official GuideI agree with Brer Mickey!

JenniBarra
06-28-2002, 07:16 PM
When I went in '97 (my second trip), I picked up both the unofficial and official guides. For my most recent trip, I took advantage of passporter.com's free 2000 Passporter for just the cost of shipping and handling. While I felt pretty well versed in information from the official and unofficial guides (I had purchased the latest editions), I liked the Passporter as a carryall and keepsake.