PDA

View Full Version : Youngest You Would Take a Child to WDW?

DisneyRN
05-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Okay, here's the situation:
My husband and I are big fans of trips to WDW and are expecting our first child in November. I have already made tentative plans in my mind to try to go next in January of 2004-for our fourth wedding anniversary and the baby's first trip to Disneyworld. The baby will be 15 or 16 months old then.

My question is-is that too young? Does anyone have any advice or experience with such a matter? My husband says it is a waste of money, since the baby wont remember any of it-I say, if that is the case, then we just need not do anything until the baby is 5 or 6...until he or she will truely remember it.

Help!!! graemlins/crazy.gif

Nana
05-15-2002, 01:14 PM
I first took my grandson when he was 13 months old. I am sure he does not remember the trip but I would not take anything for the pictures we got of him and the characters. Actually at 13 months, he was very easy. He loved riding in the stroller. He loved the lights of most of the rides he could ride such as Pooh and IASW. He was old enough to sit in a high chair and be entertained at meals. He is 5 now and has been several times. Each trip is fun for a different reason. Yes, at 6 or 7 your child will remember the trip but there is something special about a young child's trip to Disney.

[ May 15, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: bradleysnana ]

wendy*darling
05-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Make the trip for YOU, not just for your child. You will be a family and you should enjoy all your activities together, whether they be at Disney or at your local park.

I am sure you are not going to keep the kid at home until he/she is old enough to remember something before you start to have fun. Have fun family adventures as soon as he/she is born!

Besides, at 15 months- the child is completely FREE!!!
They stay in the room for free, they eat meals for free and you don't have to purchase a park ticket either!

All that, plus the special memories you will have make it an easy decision for me graemlins/mickey.gif

Piglet822
05-15-2002, 02:00 PM
My son was 8 months old when we took him to MGM the first time. Of course he doesn't remember a thing but I've got a picture of Mickey and Minnie sitting on a bench holding him. It was Halloween and he was wearing his little pumpking costume. I later learned the characters are NOT supposed to this, but I've got a priceless picture and a memory that chokes me up everytime I talk about it.
I say bring the baby and lots of film and have a great time.

Grumpy's Daughter
05-15-2002, 02:00 PM
Oh my gosh! So many people have asked me this question! :eek: I personally believe that you can take any child to Disney, at any age. Of course, they need to be sleeping through the night, etc. We took our first son when he was 9 months old (had his birthday in the parks!), and it was great! Yes, you see it differently as a parent, rather than as a "grown-up", but we got to see everything that we wanted to! And, it was free for him! graemlins/muscles.gif The only hassle was taking baby food (who wants to pay big bucks for that at Disney) and carrying him in the backpack (if that can be considered a hassle!) While he doesn't remember anything, we have great pictures of him interacting with the characters. He even enjoyed the rides- even HM! graemlins/mickey.gif Don't think that you could take him on that now (we'll find out in 5 weeks!) Yes, we took the grandparents along to help, and BabySwap was invaluable. And, at such a young age, he just slept in the backpack during naptime, and he didn't complain about "my turn to go on a ride". Of course, it all depends on the child, but our experience was phenomenal- that's we we're taking him back for his 4th birthday, and so that his little brother can turn 9 months old in the park also! (I see a trend starting here!...) ;)

ChesireLisa
05-15-2002, 02:10 PM
We leave in just about 2 weeks with our 2 year old daughter:) I have heard the "she won't remeber any of it" argument many times. The point is that I will remember all of it! I say go for it! In some ways it will be easier than taking a 3 or 4 year old. My big thing was that I wanted my daughter out of diapers...and she has been now for a few months, so that's one less thing I have to tote!

Katmegali
05-15-2002, 02:36 PM
We took our oldest to DL when she was 18 months and in April took all three girls, 7, 5 and 17 month old to WDW.
I found as a baby they were easier. My oldest was a great baby and so is the youngest. You may have to tailor down a little what you do but it can be great fun. I found my 5 yo to be the hardest. graemlins/shakehead.gif She lives for trouble. How can an angel (sweetest little thing too) find it so easy.
We've always taken them everywhere with us.

pjbs35a
05-15-2002, 02:57 PM
Took our daughter when she was two. She just turned fifteen May 3rd. She enjoys the video of this trip as much as I do. Would not exchange that trip for any amount of money and we have been over twenty times since then.

LottaLubes
05-15-2002, 04:10 PM
First of all, congrats on your pregnacy! That is wonderful news! I agree with the above, if you want to go to Disney Jan 2004 then go! Life is too short to wait! My kids also get a kick out of watching themselves on video from when they were tiny. Just remember you won't be able to go at your normal speed as you'll have to take naps, etc. into consideration. (I have pictures of all the kids napping at Disney when they were young-surrounded by all the souveniers, etc - they are priceless).

exutlnghrn
05-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Plan your trip and GO!

We took our son this past February and he was only 3 1/2 months old. He did great in all the parks and was much more attentive and responsive than we expected. He loved the Festival of the Lion King show. His eyes were glued to one specific performer for much of the show and he just laughed and laughed.

We have also been with our niece every year since she was 9 months old. She is now 4. Those early memories are not for the kid but for the parents and rest of the family. It's great "together" time.

As for wasted money, the plane ride was free for the kiddo in my lap, and the park entrance was free, too. We only had to pay for diapers and food and, what do you know, we would have to pay for those whether or not we were on a trip.

Schedule the trip and tell us how much fun you had when you get back in 2004.

DisneyDog
05-15-2002, 04:55 PM
We are expecting our first baby in September. We were just at the parks this past weekend, and we saw lots and lots of little babies. I saw one that had to be less than 2 months old. I think it's a nice way to have a first vacation with your little one, and you'll be in a place where people expect to hear babies cry, so no one will mind. No, the baby won't remember the trip, but you will! It will be a very special trip for you! We plan on going back as soon as we can smile.gif

Wishing Star
05-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Hi All!
We just took our three boys to Disney during the last week of April and we had a blast. Our youngest was only six months old and he really enjoyed himself. He loved going on the rides! He paid attention and looked at everything as we passed by. He actually laughed when we went down the little hill in Pirates of the Carribean.
Our second youngest is two and he also had a really good time. He admired the characters from a safe distance but seemed excited whenever he saw them. He also enjoyed going on the rides. All three boys(our oldest is almost six) loved Pirates of the Carribean, Buzz Lightyear, It's a Small World, Pooh, and Peter Pan.
I'll admit it isn't easy taking small children but it is so worth it! Disney really is wonderful for families. The baby station in the Magic Kingdom is incredible! It is well-stocked with anything you might need for your little ones. :D

WDW crazy
05-16-2002, 04:09 AM
My daughter and I took my granddaughter when she was less that 6 months old. Sure she doesn't remember the trip but we do! She had a blast! She had so much fun looking at people and getting their attention, and then smiling until they all started laughing. She loved the charactors and they loved her. She got a lot of attention, maybe too much! She was very good and slept well in her stroller. She also slept the entire flight from California. We have the pictures and all the wonderful memories of our first trip together. You are never too young to go to WDW. graemlins/mickey.gif

[ May 16, 2002, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: WDW crazy ]

TiggerRPh
05-16-2002, 11:11 AM
The first time we went to WDW our oldest son (only child at the time) was 4 1/2. Our next child was 2 weeks old when we took him the first time (trip was already planned and booked when we became preggers). I can't say that either trip was better or easier than the other, each was special.

The younger the child, the slower the pace you need to take. When you do go with a tiny one, you and the baby certainly the center of attention wherever you go.

SRCMOUSE
05-17-2002, 08:49 AM
I have been to Disney several times. I would not take a child under the age of 2 to Disney because of the sweltering heat. My wife and I make comments all the time how people shouldn't bring infants to the parks. We care too much to put their health in jeopardy. Sure in the A/C they are fine, but you can see their miserable crying face from the heat. Not to discourage you but this is just my opinion.

Nana
05-17-2002, 09:03 AM
I agree it is too hot for an infant in the summer but in January, it will be perfect weather!!!

LostBoys
05-17-2002, 10:55 AM
Our son will be 10 months old on May 18 and we are going to WDW from June 3 to June 9
It will be his third trip to WDW
His first trip was last September when he was just 2 months old
He loves everything and has a great time
We have pictures of him with many characters
Admittedly he is a very outgoing child (he smiles and coos to other people while in line and makes friends everywhere he goes)
His favorite attraction in MGM was Voyage of the Little Mermaid, but that might be because his name is Sebastian
The trip with a small child is more relaxed and slower paced but will reward you with incredible memories and photos
It's a great time with a small child, it's Disney World
If you travel regularly with your child or take your child everywhere you won't have any problems and will create some very special memories
Big Plus- Everything is free for a child under 2

Long story short - if you want to go, go. Your family will have a great experience

rellabelle
05-17-2002, 06:30 PM
My little one is only 2 and she will be taking her first trip to WDW next week. If only I was paid a dollar for every person who said...She is so young and won't remember anything......
That makes me so mad. I know my kid will love it. She jumps up and down now when she see the commercial and screams MICKEY! Point is, who cares if she doesn't remember it forever. She will have a blast while she is there and we will take a ton of pictures for her to look back at. My girlfriend just came back with her 14 month old and loved it!

CJDDS
05-17-2002, 06:51 PM
All kids are different. My kids were 4 and 2 when we went the first time, and I wish we hadn't done it. But a couple of years later, they had a blast. I've seen teenagers with attitude (mine are in this category now, but not too bad) who have ruined the trip for the family, and babies in strollers who couldn't get enough!

graemlins/mickey.gif

indymom
05-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Congratulations! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/clappy.gif Go to Disney World as planned and have a wonderful trip with your little one! We took our son when he was 8 months old (in June, 1993). Yes, it was hot. Yes, we had a wonderful, memorable vacation. We also have priceless videos and pictures of our baby (and our older boys) with the characters. graemlins/thumbsup.gif He survived, we survived and I wouldn't change it for anything! graemlins/mickey.gif