PDA

View Full Version : How to surprise the kids

hedzcarolina
05-30-2002, 04:46 PM
Okay, 2 days and counting... so far the kids have no idea we are going to Disney. Now I am trying to figure out the best way to break it to them.
Here is the overall plan: We went in December at stayed at BC for 8 days. We are leaving Sat June 1 for 6 days, but this time staying at BC on concierge level (not that the kids care, but DW and I do).
We are driving down from NC (about 8 hours) saturday morning.

Plan 1: Leave at about 4 am, hope the kids don't wake up for a while, and let them figure out where we're going as we cross through Georgia mid morning.
Advantage: Kids sleep longer, shortens trip for them, less tired kids when we arrive.
Disadvantage: I think (DW disagrees) that 8 year girl will wake up at 4 am when we get in the car and end up being tired and miserable.

Plan 2: Leave at about 6 am. Mom and Dad up at 5, car loaded, wake kids up at 5:40 or so. When they don't want to wake up, nonchalantly walk out of the room muttering loudly "Well, if you don't want to go to Disney World, I guess we'll leave without you". Then watch the land speed record get broken in my upstairs hallway.
Advantage: Kids (and parents) get a good night sleep. I get to see the look on their faces when they realize what I just said.
Disadvantage: no quiet time in the car for Mom and Dad

Plan 3: Leave at 6 am, but tell kids the night before
Advantage: not sure
Disadvantage: :( kids don't sleep, etc...

Anyone have any other ideas? What do you think of these?

My wife and I have been planning this trip for over a month. We started packing last night (then put the full suitcases back in the closet). The children really have no idea. And to top it off, the concierge got us PS's at CRT for Sunday!

I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

Jon

bwgens
05-30-2002, 04:52 PM
I would probably go with telling them in the morning. That way you do get a good nights sleep, and I would venture that your kids would probably fall asleep sometime during the drive getting up that early. Have a good time, and hope the surprise works out! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/silly.gif

GeorgeOfTheJungle
05-30-2002, 04:56 PM
Wow, what awesome parents you are! I would just love a surprise trip like that! :eek:

Those are some very good ideas you have! smile.gif I like Plan 2 the best out of those since you won't have cranky kids in the car halfway through the trip, and everyone will get a good night's sleep.

ElenitaB
05-30-2002, 05:40 PM
I would definitely go with Plan 2! They'll end up going back to sleep once you hit the road any way (I know that mine would).

I'm still trying to figure out just how to tell my DS-6, at 5:40 am the day after school lets out, that we're going to see Mickey. graemlins/mickey.gif

Isn't it fun? graemlins/muscles.gif

LostBoys
05-30-2002, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a great trip
You didn't have this as an option but you could tell them tomorrow (Friday) that you are going to a seaside resort, maybe Daytona Beach. Some long story about how a friend at your work had ressies from a place there but can't make it and let your family have the room there. Then when you hit 4 east from 95 tell them where you're staying is just a little inland. If you get your children up early enough they may be sleeping as you approach WDW
Have a great time

Katzateer
05-30-2002, 07:17 PM
I would go with plan 2.

One year we got to the airport turn-off without the girls knowing where we were going (they thought we were going to Indiana to visit grandma). That was quite a surprise for them (we have to drive about 2 hours to get to the airport). They enjoyed the surprise.

LottaLubes
05-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Jon, I had to laugh when I read the first part of your post...."we are trying to figure out a way to break it to them" - almost sounds like that would be bad news coming!

And don't be sure about the kids not caring about conceirge. We stayed at Poly conceirge last November and my kids are insisting we stay there the next time we go. They don't know it but we have a trip booked for August (woops, one of them just walked in as I was typing this - thank goodness for hot keys!).

Anyway, I would also vote for the morning of to break the news to them. I woke up my kids last year to the "It's A Small World" song blasting through the house at 3:30 a.m. I never saw three kids get out of bed so fast!

No matter how you do it, it will be fine. Have a great time!

hedzcarolina
05-30-2002, 07:25 PM
OK!!!!

The Its a Small World Idea sure got my attention! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

I LIKE TO MAKE NOISE!!!!

Jon

Jared
05-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Go with plan 2!! graemlins/clappy.gif
Let us know how it goes!

Katmegali
05-31-2002, 08:58 AM
I like plan 2. It's how we did it. They did fall asleep for about a hour later. I would suggest bringing some car toys. They came in handy for us especially etch-a-scetchs and electronic books.

Mufasa22
05-31-2002, 11:24 AM
Another vote for Plan 2!

disneygoofball
05-31-2002, 01:18 PM
What an awesome surprise! I have to say I vote for the "It's a Small World" version of Plan 2. My only suggestion would be to use a different song, maybe something along the lines of "Zip-a-dee-do-dah" :D

EmisDisneyMom
05-31-2002, 04:15 PM
I will have to be the odd man out and vote for plan 1. I have a 4, 8, and 11 year old. The longer they sleep the less "bored" they are with the long drive. I say if the 8 year old wakes at 4, tell her that there are headed to meet a friend and you will wake her back up when you get there. When she wakes up continue to tell her your on your way to see a friend. When she realizes the friend is Mickey she has burnt some time trying to figure it out and can spend the rest of the time asking you "how long until we get there. PLUS, they will have gotten some good rest and will be ready to hit the pool or parks as soon as they get there. Good luck with your choice!!!

hedzcarolina
05-31-2002, 07:29 PM
Ok,
The verdict is.....

Plan 2! We leave at 6. I have to admit there was a complicating factor that I didn't mention. The REd Wings are playing tonight and there is NO WAY I was going to fall asleep early with that on.

Well, we leave tomorrow (10.5 hours). I'll tell y'all all about it when we get back.

Thanx for the input (I'm still working on the music idea)

Jon

wDwMarly
05-31-2002, 07:38 PM
you guyz are such cool parents!! i wish my parents would do something like that!!!!!! (hmmm maybe they'll read this...)
graemlins/mickey.gif