PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite "Keep Cool" Trick

DreamFinder2
05-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Okay, so I'm not a warm-weather lover. Don't ask me why I'm going to WDW on June 10th!

How will I stay cool?

Do you have any tips or tricks for me to try?

Eric
DreamFinder2

EmisDisneyMom
05-30-2002, 12:22 AM
WalMart sells the misting fan....purchase one before you go and keep it full of cool water. Then keep misting all day...it really works.

MouseHead
05-30-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by EmisDisneyMom:
WalMart sells the misting fan....purchase one before you go and keep it full of cool water. Then keep misting all day...it really works.If you can manage to get some ice into it.. it keeps you even cooler :D

The Joker
05-30-2002, 05:18 AM
If you're getting too hot... shop-hop! It's pretty cool (if not freezing) inside all the shops....

Beast_fanatic
05-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Almost all of the restrooms at WDW are very nicely air conditioned!

Also, midday breaks (if you are staying on-site) can be very refreshing. Take a dip in the resort pool and/or take a short nap and then return to the parks in the early evening.

Katmegali
05-30-2002, 10:41 AM
I also go for the midday breaks, almost mandatory if you have kids. If not take a midday lunch break at a restaurant or a break somewhere like that.
Water misting fans were a life saver. Do try to buy them before coming though. They cost us $17 for 1 (we got 2 for $34 :eek: ) I didn't want to spend the money but our girls were desperate.

I would do more shows just to get out of the heat. And relax .. in the heat you may not be able to do as much. rushing around just makes you hotter.

ChipDale
05-30-2002, 11:18 AM
We were just there during the heat wave and we drank lots and lots of water! graemlins/thumbsup.gif That, combined with taking an afternoon break kept us very comfortable!

Ed
05-30-2002, 11:25 AM
In many areas, they allow you to refill your "misting fans" from the large tubs of ice used to chill bottles/cans of drinks at vending stands.

I have also been known to fill the inside of my ever-present baseball cap with ice and just let it melt on my head; then the wet cap continues to provide some cooling until the next refill.
________
Honda RC172 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RC172)

Gotta Love the TTA
05-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Definitely plan on alternating outside and inside activities.

Check the maps and have an idea of where the indoor things are.

Sit down lunches are a good idea--and cheaper than dinner.

I have found that a good long break--at least 30 min--so you have time to get really cool helps a lot.

Oh yeah--avoid AK in the afternoon.

Epcot is especially good for indoor attractions. It will be the walk between them that is the killer.

Don't forget Ice Station Cool. Ellen's Energy Adventure is 45 minutes--lots of a/c time there.

MK has more outside stuff--you may want to bail out in the afternoon.

The Movie Ride at MGM is fairly long--as is the line, but it IS inside.

lorirose
05-30-2002, 06:45 PM
I carry a washcloth. When it's too hot, I wet it in the fountain and wipe my face and neck. It really helps a lot more than it sounds like it would.

Freetime
05-31-2002, 05:26 AM
Having spent my youth in the Desert in California as a boy scout and living there, I have an oft overlooked tip.

Dress in airy, light colored, loose fitting clothing, preferably white. We were there in 90+ degree weather and we hardly broke a sweat even at the hottest times. We even wear white hats.

I know white is not "cool", but it is cool! Black is definately out. Don't wear jeans either. those are heat magnets. White or beige/light tan shorts would be great.

Remember to slather on plenty of Sun Screen. Won't want to ruin your vacation because you got burnt.

Tony

marlyn
05-31-2002, 07:21 AM
I'm afraid I'm not much help! My keep cool trick is to go in December!! graemlins/laughing.gif ;)