PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder or not??

tigger1
04-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Just wondering if I should take my camcorder or not to the parks. Is it a big hassel, it will be our first time there so I would like to tape it but not sure if I should or not? graemlins/mickey.gif

onegoofyfamily
04-27-2002, 09:33 PM
YES! Bring it w/ you!! Our first trip I didn't bring it.... what a mistake. I have been on 11 trips since than and always bring it w/ me. I bring it every day and tape as much as I can. We enjoy watching them year after year! My youngest will want to watch it every now and then. He's only 4 I think it's his way of remembering what we did.
A camcorder is a must!

MKPlutoGuy
04-27-2002, 10:54 PM
If you don't bring a video camera with you, at least bring a still camera to have some meories of your trip. There is nothing like getting together with the family on a Saturday night a few weeks after your trip, and watching your entire vacation. Our first trip that we had a videocamera was in 1991, and even today, I still bring it out, and watch it sometimes. smile.gif

EmisDisneyMom
04-28-2002, 12:53 AM
Our policy is....if we go with the kids we take the camcorder and if we go without them then no camcorder. Your first trip...take it at least the first day and see what you think.

DisneyScarlie
04-28-2002, 02:33 AM
I have a camcorder related question:
I just bought a new camcorder, and I really haven't used it that much, and never at WDW.
Is it worth it, for memory purposes only (not for posting on a website or whatever) to tape things like parades or fireworks, or just concentrate on family/group moments?
I didn't know if it was really worth the tape, and if it would turn out well. I love parades and fireworks, but when you get back home, are you like "why did I tape this whole thing?"
If you have any opinions, please share. smile.gif

MNNHFLTX
04-28-2002, 07:40 AM
To me, whether or not to bring a camcorder depends on how big the camcorder is. Our first two camcorders were largish and a hassle to cart around. We still brought it with us, but usually ended up renting a locker to put it in before the day was over. Our newest camcorder is so small, however, that it is not any bigger than a regular camera and not as big of a deal to carry around in a special hipsack we bought.

Our usual routine is to bring the camcorder with us to parks for part of our trip. For instance, if we are staying at WDW for 4 days, we will designate two days to bring it with us. We do film some of the parades and appropriate attractions, but we tend to focus on our family's interaction with these. We also tend to film in snippets of attractions, rather than filming the whole thing from beginning to end. We have found that even we get a bit bored watching entire sequences later on. smile.gif

Katzateer
04-28-2002, 07:43 AM
I have taken a camcorder a few times. The kids never watch the parades or fireworks once we get home. I put them in to watch every once in awhile. I never really get shots of the kids-we are always rushing around. I take lots of snapshots.

I have gotten some funny videos of unexpected moments that I really enjoy (like when we were at MGM on Walt's 100th birthday) and they are special. So, if your camcorder is small enough I would take it just in case you find a special moment to record.

imported_Melanears
04-28-2002, 07:57 AM
We took our brand new camcorder last month and it never left the room! graemlins/shakehead.gif But, we took a ton of pictures. I think we felt bad because our youngest DS was over two and we'd never even had a camcorder. So we bought one and then basically forgot about it. We are just picture people and don't feel like we missed a thing by not recording. Instead of popping in the video tape, we pull out the photo album. I guess it's just all in what you like.

Have a great trip! smile.gif

cjdive
04-28-2002, 10:44 AM
I would definitely bring it. It is good to have something recorded to watch during the periods in between trips ;) It always help me deal with being away from that magical place.

BTW- the one thing that you have to be careful about is the Florida humidity (especially walking in and out of air conditioning- condensation) and quick rain bursts. I usually bring a big plastic ziplock bag along to deal with the air conditioning problem.

Chris graemlins/mickey.gif

MinnieMav
04-28-2002, 12:01 PM
I would agree with the "bring it" approach. by the way - does anyone have a product recommendation on a good, small camcorder?

Now that we are in the lull and going through WDW withdrawal, being able to watch more footage would be a nice thing to do! :rolleyes: We filmed Fantasmic, which did not come out too good, the hotel - and the safari - and I wish we had more! Ours is a newer (smaller) camera, but it was still a bit of a hassel to drag around - not too bad, we parked it in a locker when we knew we wouldn't be using it.

I also took alot of pictures, but even with over a dozen rolls, looking at them now it seems I failed to catch alot of what we saw. So, plans for us for next time: explore smaller camcorders, maybe make another investment if not too costly. Buy alot of film before hand - and take even more pictures than previously - use the Photo Spots - get the family in when possible - get more photo spot photos as good scenery.

i'm grumpy
04-28-2002, 02:11 PM
I would take it. Just be careful, I was placing the strap around my neck last year and dropped mine. :eek: Can anyone recommend on a new one? graemlins/shakehead.gif

Ms. Darling
04-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Part of the Disney experience is going home to watch the videos of your trip. It helps so much with the "going home blues." It's tough leaving the happiest place on earth, so I say - BRING YOUR CAMERA (and at least two video tapes b/c if you want to tape certain shows or parades, it will take up a lot of space. Better safe than sorry, ya know). I promise, you won't regret it. Bring the camera! I repeat - BRING THE CAMERA!

And I agree with what someone else said about taping only snippets of some shows and parades. That's what I do, too. For instance, I never tape all of the Country Bear Jamboree b/c I got it on tape years ago - and it's still the same show.

[ April 28, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Ms. Darling ]

DisneyScarlie
04-28-2002, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the replies to my question! I think I will do that, and just record parts of parades and attractions (the ones that you can tape). I would never be bored at Disney World, but I could see myself feeling a little dumb for taping an hour's worth of fireworks or something...besides I suspect fireworks and the like might not come out very well on film.
My camera is very small, so I don't see it being a problem carrying around. It's a Sharp VLAH161U Hi8mm Viewcam w/ 3".5 Color LCD Screen, Picture in Picture & Remote Control. I recommend it (also I think Amazon might have a deal on it now).

Happy filming! graemlins/mickey.gif

CJDDS
04-28-2002, 03:28 PM
I agree that the camcorder is great as far as watching the parades etc. when you get home. I break out the old videos whenever I need a Disney fix. But now that I look back, at the times I took the camcorder, I basically saw WDW through a viewfinder, and missed a lot.
graemlins/mickey.gif

faline
04-28-2002, 05:50 PM
Take it! I generally always carry my camcorder. There are lots of times that I don't use it because I have so much film of DW at this point. However, I know that I always have it available for a "new" or "special" moment that unexpectedly comes up.

I also agree with the "snippet" approach. Whenever I tape a parade or show, I take a bit of film, pause, and take some more. My parade segments probably last about 5 minutes or less, in total, when viewed at home but, surprisingly, it captures the entire essence of the parade and then moves on to something else.

These days, cameras are so light, it's not a burden to carry one with you.