PDA

View Full Version : More obsessive planner than me? How BAD are you (or is that GOOD)?!!!

RoosMomKanga
04-16-2002, 11:36 AM
OK, 19 days to go and I already have 3 suitcases packed...more to go ;) . I know at least one of you out there is nuttier graemlins/crazy.gif about planning (and what's wrong with that anyway?) than I am, but my family doesn't believe it, so please tell me...I'm being abused!

So, I have a 19 page packing list (now the joke around my sister's; -Have4Boys- 6th grade teacher; elementary school) with sub-lists of what I'll pack in each person's hip sack...my family expects me to be Mary Poppins when they need something right? So, I bought several varieties (returned rejects) of new hip-sacks and test packed them for the best ones; as well as collapsible coolers, personal fans, and of course water bottles...how else can you tell how well they're insulated then to fill them with ice & water and wait for "melt down". I won't even touch all the research on a new stroller for a six year old (I'm not sure they were invented for kids this age- but mine won't walk for 10 days straight!). So, I have my kids try on a few shorts outfits ("Mom, it's snowing out!!") each day which I then pack (hey, they might have outgrown them since last summer...and who wants to do laundry on vacation). So, I collect large binders (tabbed of course) of information for every trip...I can tell you how many people have borrowed them! So, I typed up a small binder of info. to carry at the parks- which I've memorized, with every ride, which line to take, and other tips, as well as our daily itinerary. OK- so, it even has what items I need to replenish at night in our "carry to the parks bag". All this proves is that I'm getting demensia graemlins/crazy.gif and I need lists.

In my defense (and yes, I know, relax and smell the roses), I'm telling you it's all seamless to the family when we get there...they don't see any planning then (I hope), but they can't understand all the time/effort ahead of time "You're packing already?!!".

I don't plan minute by minute, just what rides to do first, and I do enjoy the spontaneous things that happen- I'm flexible, you have to be with three kids. I hardly ever even have to look at my binder. Do I point out when I know that my planning just helped something magical happen...heck no- that's the fun, letting them just think it happened. We've got a lot of magical moments :cool: "planned" and I can't wait to watch it happen! This will probably be our last WDW vacation with all the kids (oldest is a 9th grader, and we only go with them every 5 years).

Better get back to packing! :D

19 days to go... graemlins/muscles.gif

lovewalt
04-16-2002, 11:59 AM
I was just having a discussion this morning with my friend,who is a non planner. She said "how can you call it a vacation when you have to follow a schedule? She just doesn't get it graemlins/shakehead.gif .
If I didn't have an itenerary I wouldn't feel as relaxed. Some people just aren't planners.

I applaud you graemlins/clappy.gif Planners unite !!! :D graemlins/mickey.gif

Astra
04-16-2002, 12:12 PM
I think what you are doing is wonderful! Being prepared ahead of time for the "actual" conditions is great! That way, you know you have stuff with you that you need, and will work well, so when you get there you can relax and have that good time you are working so hard to acheive!

And you are so right about the rest of your family not realizing that all that planning is what gets them the wonderful experience when they get there. I can't tell you how valuable the research I put into our trip was. WDW is so HUGE you really have to have a pretty good idea of what you are doing ahead of time, cause being more or less aimless will not get you where you want to go. I made sure we hit the highlights (things I thought would appeal to us most), and let some of the rest just happen. My family and I had that wonderful and magical time everyone talks about. And even though they appreciated the effort I put into the planning, they didn't even feel like I was herding them around or anything like that. They enjoyed themselves, and so did I! Plan, plan, plan, and then enjoy, enjoy, Enjoy! I hope you get a really big hug for all this, and I hope you have a REALLY splendid time!

Katzateer
04-16-2002, 01:01 PM
I am always planning ahead (our next trip isn't until December). I research, plan the days we will go to the parks and the places we will eat, and then when we actually get there things can change if needed. But at least I know I don't have to worry when we get there and can relax and enjoy.

We just got back from WDW. The first day I had planned MGM and Spectromagic at night. We ended up not even going to the parks because we were tired and it was suppossed to rain all day. We went to two different mini golf courses and I think the kids had more fun that day than a day at the parks (it was something different). The rest of the days we did follow my list and they went by easily (I didn't have to think-just looked to see what was next on the list).

Crystal
04-16-2002, 01:32 PM
As I mentioned in another post, I am DYING to start packing. But I keep telling myself "You are still using most of the things you have pack - So don't bother" But it's SO hard!! Everyone is making fun of me for wanting to pack and making the lists and things I'm doing, But its keeping me from going insane. Luckily my DH is as excited and as anxious to go as I am. Just think..We're going to be the ones that are there having fun and not having to go to the store for things we've forgotten - Those un-planners will! graemlins/clappy.gif

27 more days...

[ April 16, 2002, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Crystal ]

disneymomw_3boys
04-16-2002, 01:57 PM
graemlins/clappy.gif What a woman!!!!! graemlins/clappy.gif

Your family will be soooo pleased once you get to Disney to find out all the planning that was done. By the Third day they will be looking to you to see what is the best way to attack the day. And those small needed things you have planned for will turn out to be treasures to your kids once your in the parks.

I know, I lauphed at my mother in law the first time we went and she had three diffent plans for each day. By the third day I was studing each plan intenly to figure out which would get us the most joy for our kids. Now we review our plans well in advance and make changes well before we arrive.

graemlins/clappy.gif Great Job Roosmom graemlins/clappy.gif

However you may want to try decafinated coffee. graemlins/rotfl.gif

EvaBryan
04-16-2002, 03:34 PM
I think you are in good company - especially since this is the *vacation planning* forum. ;)

I plan, make lists, re-read guidebooks (I have about 6 different ones), watch the planning video ad nauseum, sort vacation-related items, pack, unpack and repack suitcases - and my husband watches me and thinks I am nuts. Since we go to WDW several times a year, we never truly unpack and keep our Disney World stuff segregated. This weekend I decided to dig out all of the Disney tees and wash, iron and fold them since we are leaving in only 31 days.

For us planning is half of the fun. My family LOVES talking Disney and we love thinking about it. We plan, plan, plan but, surprisingly, are so easy-going when we get there that we don't care if we stick to the plan - we often abandon it completely. We just like having options.

When I am stuck in traffic or in a bad mood I make mental notes about our trip. Nothing like a Disney fix to help get through the day!

MKPlutoGuy
04-16-2002, 03:39 PM
I think planning is half of the fun. All of your hardwork and research finally pays off when you're having the best vacation ever. Sometimes, though, I just wish I could call, book everything, and be done with it, because it can get very hectic!

It sounds like you have everything all planned out perfectly! 19 days! Have fun! graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

WDW2002
04-16-2002, 08:35 PM
I admire you: I am leaving in 2 days, and haven't even begun to pack! graemlins/muscles.gif

lovewalt
04-16-2002, 08:46 PM
originally posted by WDW2002:
I admire you: I am leaving in 2 days, and haven't even begun to pack __________________________________________________
WHAT?!? :eek: Where do you live? I'm coming over. This is an emergency ;)

Have4Boys
04-16-2002, 09:05 PM
It's true... Kanga's packing list is making the circuit in my school... graemlins/rotfl.gif And BOTH of us are getting major grief for all of this planning, but it is sooooo worth it! Will it be a Kodak moment when my fifteen-year-old gets his picture taken with Cinderella showing his homemade temporary tattoo on his arm with her picture??? You bet! Will we have the camcorder rolling when someone is prompted to throw something away in a talking trash can?? Not a doubt!! Will the kids think it is sooo cool :cool: when we pull out Hawaiian shirts for the luau? I'll let you answer that! In addition to the touring plans, these are the "magic" moments that will last a lifetime. graemlins/mickey.gif

So... WDW planners unite! Plan to the hilt! Enjoy the anticipation! Buy new toothbrushes so you can pack them now! :D Steal those favorite shorts to pack! But most of all, cherish the memories that you know you've helped to make "magic"!

Only 17 days now... graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

Oh, that reminds me, I need to print the address labels for the postcards we need to send...

Pongo
04-17-2002, 08:46 AM
I am another member of Planners Anonymous. Our next trip isn't until October 2003 and I already have spreadsheets going trying to determine the best days to do the parks and I have the PS calendar posted at my desk so I know the dates (in 2003) to call for PS.

Timbo
04-17-2002, 08:58 AM
The more I hang around you people here at Intercot, the worse this "illness" gets! ;)

I used to plan our WDW trips like this:
Arriving: MM/DD/YY
Departing: MM/DD/YY
Pack: last minute
PS: huh?? why??

But now...
I'm actually starting to plan things down to the minute, packing ahead of time, making PS arrangements, even planning which parks for which days (I refuse to plan out our ride schedule, my DW wouldn't go for it either). This is a big change for me...I'm a natural born procrastinator and don't like vacation agendas (hey, I'm on vacation not at work!). But there's something about Intercot that changes a person...my DW calls it Disney OCD (at least in my case), God forbid I tell her about how some of you plan...she'd have a cow! :eek:

Then again, it's only the two of us...I suppose if we had children it would be different. I did plan a few magic moments for DW, though. She'll love 'em! graemlins/mickey.gif

Thanks everyone, you're the greatest bunch of planners! But maybe some of you should join the 12-step PA program (JohnY, is that a forum here?). :D

E-OR
04-17-2002, 12:59 PM
Before I sat down to read the discussion boards today I pulled out the suitecases and began to pack to see how much room things will take up for our vacation in 24 days!!! I have had the film bought, sun tan lotion packed, small first aid kit put together, goodies for the plane ride (7 hours for us), binoculars for AKL, new swim suit (still have 10 lbs to lose), informed my sons teachers to get homework early...etc ready to go. I have read - re-read, and planned each day of our trip. I plan how our night before and morning of our leaving will go... We are always flexible to change once we get there but planning for me is half the fun. The first time we went to WDW we were over whelmed by what we did not know and decided that by the time our next trip rolled around I would be more informed. WE were and had a great time.

CarolH
04-17-2002, 02:54 PM
When my family went to WDW for the first time 5 years ago, I bought every guide I could find, and spent at least an hour a day for three months reading and making notes and finally writing out a detailed itenarary for each day, checking and double-checking my PS arrangements, etc. Every day, when I sat down and pulled out my pen and paper and guidebooks, the DH and my DSs would roll their eyes and make disparaging remarks referring to my diminished mental capacity. When we got to WDW, all snide remarks were silenced. The trip was wonderful, mealtimes were relaxed and although lines were LONG (WDW 25th Anniversary) we found them manageable thanks to my research and planning! This year when we began our vacation planning, I actually had offers from DH to buy me the newest guides, and my DS who is still at home and going with us has offered his suggestions and requests. Look who's laughing now! tongue.gif Sure, a vacation is intended to be relaxing, but you can only relax if you do the right planning!

graemlins/clappy.gif 45 days to go graemlins/clappy.gif

Janmac
04-17-2002, 10:04 PM
I am also a member of Planners Anonymous. The first time we had a family reunion at WDW, I had a daily schedule, with copies for each adult member. These daily schedules were greeted with much hilarity by many in the family. Our middle grandson appointed himself the person who hands out the schedules every morning. The men all said, "I don't need one" when he offered and the women all put one in their fanny packs. In less than 30 minutes, each of the men had asked his spouse, "what're we doing . . .?" and out would come the schedule - usually with a comment on why didn't he have his own.

The schedules were general - where and when we were eating each meal, and our p.s. number. Which park we were going to that morning. What the afternoon activity was - usually swimming/napping but occasionally we'll do mini-golf or water mice, etc. And what pavilions we're visiting at Epcot that evening.

By this last trip everyone was expecting a daily schedule and they weren't laughing any more. They especially come in handy when we split up. We know where to meet.

And they are so much fun to make, compared to when I first started with that IBM AT and dot matrix printer. All the clip art and different fonts nowadays. Part of the fun of going to WDW.

The raft ride at AK plays havoc with the ink tho.

Jan

CJDDS
04-17-2002, 10:26 PM
To me planning is one of the best parts of any trip. I am not much of a packer- I prefer to do it the night before. But I begin planning the next Disney trip about a month after the previous one. I used to really get into it - maps, menus, itineraries - I would literally do 3 or 4 bound notebooks which I made my wife and kids read before we went down. I have toned it down quite a bit. But I like to think my family benefits from my obsession. They have seen and done more at Disney than most of their friends due to my organizational skills.
graemlins/mickey.gif

Tavel
04-17-2002, 11:51 PM
I e-mailed our daily agenda to all the people in our party before our trip and got laughed at. However, by the time everyone arrived, they all had their copies and checked them often. They were all amazed how we could just walk up to a restaurant and bypass the long waits.

To me, researching and planning trips -- any vacation! -- is half the fun!

Vellamint
04-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Oh boy do I understand....we are leaving in 4 days and are going with our best friends....WELL one of them (THE MAN) is flipping out because I made 3 PS and want to book Fantasmic Dinner when we get there. ( I didnt even tell him about Sci Fi ice cream and the fact that a childhood friend who moved down there is coming to meet us at our resort one night for drinks.)

HE IS FLIPPING and it is all I can do not to have an argument with him before we go.

This is him-------

"You blew the vacation"
"You've ruined the trip"
"You're planning too much"
"We're supposed to go and relax"

Mind you - I didnt tell them that THEY have to go to these placed....just MY family!!!!!!

(Although I did make 2 PS for all of us on the off chance that they might want to join us....guess I have to call WDW Dine to reduce our party size eh?!)

YOU SHOULD HEAR HIS COMMENTS ON THE LETTER I TYPED UP TO FAX TO ROOM ASSIGNOR!! He says I have a SICKNESS!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh!!!!! :rolleyes:

[ April 18, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Vellamint ]

Timbo
04-18-2002, 12:30 PM
Vellamint, may I offer some advice?
Well, here goes anyway:

IGNORE HIM. :D He'll thank you later. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Vellamint
04-18-2002, 12:59 PM
Yes of course - you may certainly offer some advice....I intend on ignoring him anyway....no need to do "battle" over this.

I just dont understand why he would make me feel bad about planning ahead. :(

ChesireLisa
04-18-2002, 01:40 PM
Well I can see that I am in the right place!! I just unpacked my daughter's suitcase because I was getting so much ribbing for it. I wasn't really packing (3 weeks ago) it was PRELIMINARY packing, just to make sure everything fit nicely tongue.gif Seriously though we are a middle to low middle class family and vacations are hard to come by....so I will not apologize for being excited and planning my brains out. This way the vacation lasts for months instead of a mere 8 days. Thank God I started early or else I wouldn't have known how important PS are for CRT(June 3rd at 8:20 thank you very much graemlins/party.gif ). My husband is doing a lot of eye rolling and my friends are teasing me mercilessly but I don't care...I know how great it will be to have most of the minor details out of the way. I have been trying to wean myself off the planning video( the old one...it's better than the newer one), my daughter and I watch it only once a day. Of course we also watch the Disneyland sing-along-song tape at least 3 times a day(she's two, so she doesn't mind)! My only concern is the letdown I am going to have after our trip is over...I can't even imagine what it will be like to be finished...no more planning and nothing to look forward to in X amount of days graemlins/crying.gif I guess I will need that support group after all.

RoosMomKanga
04-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Well, I tried some decaf and I'm feeling much better about my planning after reading your replies (and packing two more suitcases ;) ). I need to start earlier next time, you're all better than me graemlins/notworthy.gif (i.e. ChesireLisa- "PS for CRT" - way to go!).

Have4Boys- I'm signing us up for that 12-step PA program right AFTER we get back. Don't let her fool you, her DH has contacted Intercot Central with a plea to limit her log-in hours. Can you imagine if your hours were tracked instead of your number of posts :eek: !

Vellamint- Keep in mind that non-planners won't ever get it...they'll think they just lucked out getting into that restaurant while there's a huge line outside...and that's the magic of being the planner. Enjoy!

ALL of you- Your right, planning is half the fun and helps me to relax and enjoy when I get there. And...1st PA meeting May 14 (I'm signing you all up :D ).

Thanks all!

17, no, 16 1/2 days to go... graemlins/muscles.gif

cjdive
04-18-2002, 03:08 PM
FINALLY! Someone I can relate too! ;)

Chris graemlins/mickey.gif

Fantasmike
04-18-2002, 03:20 PM
I am an unashamed member of Obsessive Travel Planners Anonymous. My wife thinks I am mentall unstable and that may be true, but our Disney trips sure do go off without a hitch:)

I download menus to the restaurants we choose. We circle what we want for non-buffet meals. I make the PS arrangements and record the confirmation number on the menu and put it in a binder.

I make Excel spreadsheets for each day with the park we are going to, the times we have PS arrangements for meals and the absolute must do attractions.

I wear a backpack containing the binder, Birnbaum's guide, rain ponchos, water bottles, Tylenol, sunscreen, camera, camcorder, and park maps.

I wear a fanny pack with our tickets, keys. etc.

I pretty much start planning the next trip as soon as we get back.

The sad thing is that there are hundreds more just like me out there....many of whom are reading this right now :D

marlyn
04-22-2002, 10:03 AM
You don't sound too obsessive to me, but then again my family thinks I'm nuts too. I plan way in advance also. I have notes and touring schedules. I know when we will eat and where.
They may think I'm nuts, but noone complained the last time we were there when there were no lines to wait in, everything went smoothly and noone stood around saying "where do you want to go next?"!
Half the fun is planning don't you think? I'm already taking notes and making lists and I'm not going until Nov 2003! graemlins/crazy.gif
My motto...Plan now so that you can enjoy it when you are there! graemlins/clappy.gif

Pongo
04-22-2002, 10:30 AM
There is one thing we can probably all relate to...

I planned for a year before our last trip and my husband didn't open a book. Everytime we did something really good he would look at me and say "How did you know about that?"

Duh! graemlins/shakehead.gif