PDA

View Full Version : Taking Kids Out of School

imported_Melanears
04-20-2002, 09:12 AM
I have a question and am hoping you all will give me your feelings about this. My oldest DS is getting ready to start school this fall. My DH and I have been talking about another trip to WDW, but we've never had to plan around school before. You see, I like to go during off periods, like January and October. I wouldn't ever say never, but it's a high possibility that I wouldn't ever step foot into WDW during June, July or August. :eek:

So, finally, here's the question, how do you guys feel about taking the kids out of school for a trip to WDW? Have you guys done that before? Thanks for your insight.

MKPlutoGuy
04-20-2002, 09:22 AM
Since I'm a student, I can give you our whole perspective on this:

For elementry school aged children, it really shouldn't be a problem. As with anything, you should always tell the teacher as soon as you know you are going that your son/daughter will be missing some school. If you wish, you can have the teacher send home the missed work for the child to do on the airplane/car/or on the way there.

For high school aged students (me) its much more difficult to miss school, because we have regular homework, on top of projects, tests and quizzes to prepare. It would overwhelm me if I had to make up a week's worth of assignments.

Anyway, I think it is well worth it to miss some school and go during the off season-crowds are much more managable, and its not so darn hot! smile.gif

Clay Ransone
04-20-2002, 09:24 AM
I would say take the kids out of school. My folks did that twice with me, the last time when I was in Jr. High, and I experienced no academic ills. You can usually get the class work before you leave and little man (or woman) can work on is some on the way down. I would not try and have the kids do work while at Disney since that would kill the mood.

TiggerRPh
04-20-2002, 09:28 AM
We have always gone during "school season", so we always take the kids out of school.

For elementary and middle school kids, they really don't miss that much and it never took them long to make it up. If you have some really organized teachers, you can have your kids work on their "missed" homework before you leave.

I'll have to echo what Eddy said regarding high school students. The missed time is a little harder to make up, but we've done. Our son figures it's worth the extra work later just to get to WDW.

wdwfan
04-20-2002, 09:41 AM
my vote, TAKE THEM TO WDW!!! We have two nieces both 10, (no children of our own) and we have taken them out of school twice to vacation in WDW. It has never been problem with teachers and has not effected there grades. Last year one of them was given homework to do and we spent time on planes & while everyone was getting ready for the day to do some it and that worked out great!
graemlins/mickey.gif

disneyismagic
04-20-2002, 11:26 AM
For our first trip to DW when my children were at the elementary level I also was worried about taking them out of school. My sister put my worries to rest with this comment - "What do you think the children will remember years down the road, that one week in school or a week at DW!". We have taken them out of school and it has worked out fine. I do agree that if your children are active in school it becomes nearly impossible to do this at the HS level.
Also you could check with your schools calendar for the next year and schedule around a "short" week that maybe only your school has days off for things like in-service or conferences. If you schedule around that your children might only miss 2 or 3 days. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mufasa22
04-20-2002, 12:49 PM
We have taken my son out of school 3 times to go to WDW, and he was and is still a great student.

You will find that most teachers are willing to work with you, either by giving you work ahead of time, or putting it aside until after.

2 of the 3 trips we took during slow weeks, where 2 of the 5 school days were in-service days anyway, and the other was Veterans day -- so he really only missed 2 of the 5 days of school.

Our last trip was this past September, he missed a full week of school, and the teacher sent work with him -- he did it while waiting for the plane, on the plane, a little in the hotel room, and then on the way home. It was mostly done by the time we returned.

fanofpooh
04-20-2002, 01:48 PM
As a teacher I DO NOT encourage you to take children out of school for a vacation. Yes I am a huge Disney Fan but academics and teaching children that they can just take off in the middles of their "JOB" (aka school) is not a good model. I am one of those organized teachers that gets the work together. 90% of the time I have to hunt down the work when the child returns. Text books are lost etc.

But you are the parent it is up to you

fanofpooh

Tiggerdog
04-20-2002, 02:03 PM
As a teacher I say take them out of school!

I teach in a school with a 60% free and reduced lunch population. The low season at WDW is during the school year. While most of my students will never have the chance to visit WDW as children, those who are fortunate enough can only do so when the rates are lower.

In the real world, parents may not be able to take their vacations during the summer months. Should these children be denied family vacations because employers are not able to give employees time off in the summer?

There have been many times when I have had students absent for concerts because they have gone on vacation. How do you make up a performance? You can't. However, as a teacher I have found ways to give alternative assignments.

My BIL died a few weeks after he and SIL took their three girls to WDW. My nieces will never have another vacation with their father. This WDW vacation is one of the memories with their father they will never forget.

School can be made up. Family vacations cannot.

[ April 20, 2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Tiggerdog ]

LottaLubes
04-20-2002, 02:28 PM
We've taken our kids out each November to vacation at Disney and have never regretted it. We use the school schedule to help us out. Our kids do not have school on Election Day and Veteran's Day so we usually take the 2 or 3 school days off in between.

The teachers know when they have one of my kids in their class this is going ot happen and they are very supportive. They've always had the children write in a journal to share with the class when they get back (we also add pictures).

However, this year my oldest is entering Middle School. This particular son has good grades but he also has to work very hard to get the grades (thankfully it comes naturally to the other two). Although he wants to real bad, I think it would be unfair for me to take him out for 2 or 3 day this year so we booked a trip for late August. However, we are starting to have doubts as we are so used to going in November. So now we are thinking of taking a long weekend in November where my son will only miss one day of school. It is very beneficial to go in the off-season both financially and crowd-wise.

I look at it this way, I'm sure if we lived closer to Disney they would be taking a class field trip there anyway! graemlins/mickey.gif Disney has brought our family many happy memories that we will all treasure forever. I hope in the future, I will be financially secure to bring all future grandkids with me as well!

KathyandScottGammer
04-20-2002, 02:30 PM
I was so happy to read this last post! We are leaving for Disney World in 14 days and we are so excited. My oldest just turned 5 so she's only missing a week of pre-school. My sister's oldest is in 1st grade and she's received some grief from his teacher about missing a week of school. I couldn't believe it. When I was telling some of the mothers at my daughter's pre-school, they all said that the principal of the school that my daughter will attend next year is great, but she is really tough on the families that take their kids out of school. It bothers me because my children are just getting to a great Disney World age and I plan on taking as many vacations there as we can afford. I will always be taking them out of school due to weather and crowds during breaks. Isn't a wonderful vacation with your family worth something?????? Missing a week of grade school is not a tragedy in the large scheme of things. I can still remember a Walt Disney World vacation when I was five. I can remember nothing of that same school year!

MinnieMav
04-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Our vote for the near future is to take our DS out of school. We initially planned our recent trip for pre-kindergarden, but postponed it until March, well into the school year. My perspective: as the parents, we must then assume responsibility for ensuring the schoolwork is covered. Is is ideal? No - but it becomes our responsibility to ensure the impact is reduced as much as possible. To say my DS and DH are both terrible at patience levels is an understatement - neither tolerates crowds - add heat to this, and we get a recipe for frustration. A visit to WDW while our DS is still this young, and during a crowded time would lead to arguments, defeating much of the purpose of the vacation overall.

We plan to visit WDW hopefully each year - if we ever make a second trip, that trip would be during an out of school period. We will continue to take my son out of school UNTIL the point at which it makes more sense NOT to. When? It could be 2nd grade - it could be 7th --- he may start having difficulties with learning - or it may all come very easily, but I'm comfortable with the choice now, knowing that I can handle the coaching of letters, words, etc. I know I won't be a suitable stand in when it comes time to explain the Archamedic principle of water displacement - and forget the periodic table of elements!

I expect many teachers would vote the other way - which is understandable. I would definitely advise your teacher(s) of your plans as early as possible - and should you be given work to cover - that's great. If not - attempt to cover items that the class is currently studying. And be prepared to keep the role of coach going after you return to ensure your child didn't fall behind.

Sorry for being long-winded - my parting 2 cents? My DH is a firefighter, who assisted at Ground Zero - the importance of family has been etched indelibly on us both - so while it's not ideal, we'll make the choice for "out of school" - and commit to covering the gaps as much as possible . . . and tonight, my DS and I are building a paper mache model of the solar system - hopefully to scale - I just have to make sure to I don't get a case of the sillies and put ears on the planet Pluto!

ilovemickey33
04-20-2002, 03:00 PM
We have taken my daughter to WDW 3 years in row (we leave in 6 days for trip #3) and every time we go we have the full and enthusiastic support of her teachers. They send homework with us and some of it relates to the trip, like keeping a daily journal. My kid is a good student and I think that helps. But remember that you are the parent and have the right to take your kid where ever you want, when ever you want. Look at all the school missed by kids for athletics and performance. I would hope that family time would at least count as much as cheerleader competetion or a school trip to Florida or DC

disneymomw_3boys
04-20-2002, 05:10 PM
We have struggled with this same issue for our upcomming trip in October. We have always gone to Disney in June just after the kids get out of School and the sun is about a mile away in the sky.

This year we have decided to go in October and will be taking our oldest two 12 and 13 out of school for a week. We believe we have chosen a in service week but the scheduale for next year has not come out.

Our feelings on this were based soley on time with our kids. They will only be this age once and both of them get good grades 4.05 and 3.4 respectively graemlins/thumbsup.gif so we don't feel that taking them out for one week will affect them academecly.

For parents who's children only miss schol for illness which is rare and are always prepared for school and are the first to arrive, belive me this choice was a struggle. But we want to experiance Disney in a not so peak season with our sons.

I do expect the teachers will look at us like we are some sort of nuts :eek: but for us this is the only time our sons will be this age and we all have a great time together, so we are going.
Im sure they will be able to keep up with the class as long as the teachers are willing to give us a study plan for the kids.

CJDDS
04-20-2002, 06:55 PM
Because of the nature of my work, my busy time is during the summer. We have always taken our kids (ages 17 and 15 now) out of school for a week to go to the World. They always get their assignments before hand and I make them work diligently on them. We also make the trip an educational experience as much as possible (not hard at Disney World), ie they both take German, and since I speak German, I quiz them about things at the Germany pavilion, make them order food in German, speak to the CM's there, etc. My kids do well in school, are healthy so have no sick time out, etc. I have seen the school close frequently for teacher in service, kids off early or given time off for sports activities, etc, so I don't really like to hear the school people complain about taking kids out for this. I guess it depends on the kid, though. If they struggle in school, it may not be a good idea.
graemlins/mickey.gif

RoosMomKanga
04-20-2002, 07:27 PM
There are three teacher/education majors in my family...we always take them out of school. This trip; one in Kindergarten, one in 5th grade, and one in 9th grade. GO FOR IT :D !

We've done a variety of things to make it educational depending on the school system we've lived in; ABC Scrapbooks- fun collecting stuff, Hydroponics report- "Behind the seeds" tour, this trip no such educational requirement...but we're still doing the daily postacards to the class (have the teachers save them-nice keepsake!).

15 more days... graemlins/muscles.gif

VickiP
04-20-2002, 10:21 PM
We've taken our oldest out of school, but he was only in 1st grade. We will take him out again in 2nd. The older he gets, the more we will question it, just because he has ADHD and it would be hard for him to catch up. However, the school encouraged us last year. They are happy to see families spending time together. Once we explained that my husband's busiest time is in the summer (when everyone remodels their houses) he cannot get time off, they were even more supportive. Unfortunately, lots of children do not get a lot of attention from their parents. We've seen this first hand and it breaks our hearts. The school sees more than it's fair share of it too and I think most administrators are thrilled for any family interaction and parental involvement in the kids' lives.

Yes, school is extremely important, but family makes a bigger impression on a child than 1 week of school, in my opinion anyway. smile.gif

mpphilli01
04-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Our third grade daughter will be missing 6 days of school starting next Thursday. It would have been 7 had 5/3 not ended up being a student holiday.

Personally, I feel a lot better about taking her out at the end vs. the beginning of the school year (perhaps I am fooling myself here!). At this point of the year, we know she is ready for fourth grade work.. and also, she only missed 2 days of school this year. Last year she was sick a lot and missed 15 days of school.. I would have been very hesitant to plan a trip if she had missed alot of school already.... (yes, this was a last minute trip!)

I took her out in December of Kindergarten and didn't even give it a second thought.

Also, we have tried very, very hard to emphasize that taking time off school is a very big deal that isn't to be taken lightly. Although we aren't grade freaks, we didn't argue when she asked if we were going because she makes good grades in school. So, obviously she was weighing the issue of missing school/poor student.

Also, it seems like it is alot more accepted to take kids out of school today. When I was in school (I'm in my late 30's), it was always a secretive thing. I remember an absent was excused or unexcused and the threat for unexcused absences was very real for "fake days."

I remember going w/ family to FL my senior year - and how I had to lie about getting my tan from a sunlamp ! What a joke !!! Everybody suspected !

imported_Melanears
04-21-2002, 09:02 AM
I want to thank you all for the honest answers and for going into great detail to explain your feelings on this. It sounds like we are okay through elementary school (barring an illness, etc that would keep them out of school otherwise) and then the progress of the student needs to be taken into consideration as they get older. I can totally understand that.

I am so happy to see that my Intercot friends have had success with taking their children to WDW during the school year. The decision by my DH and I to do this would not be made lightly, but I do agree overall that it is our call. A trip to WDW is a huge deal to us, and nothing beats that family time. Thanks again everyone!! smile.gif

KathyandScottGammer
04-21-2002, 10:04 AM
I'm so envious of those of you who have supportive teachers and schools. The schools here have a policy that they will not give out the weeks assignments to kids that are going to miss school. So, your only choice is to get the work when you get back and try to make it up. I just think that if you child is a good student and can reasonably miss a week of school, then it should be my decision as a parent. I don't want my child to do poorly. I care about their education more than anyone in that school, but there is more to life than homework! I wish our school system had a better policy in this respect.

Playdoh
04-21-2002, 07:22 PM
DH and I had planned on taking DS's to WDW in October of 2003 but our plans recently changed. I was shocked by the curriculum and the amount of homework that my sons have in the 1st grade. We felt that by 3rd grade, missing a full week of school could be disastrous. We opted to go this year, in early June from a Thursday to a Tuesday. This way, they will not miss a full week of the curriculum. Their teachers have been very supportive and at least one of them will not give any homework but will allow one son to do a writing assignment about the trip. We have purchased disposable cameras and journals for them to utilize. Each one will be expected to present a report to the class when we return.

MinnieMav
04-21-2002, 08:04 PM
Melanie - some further thoughts. We met a family while having lunch at Epcot who had their kids in a private school which had 3 wks vacation each March! They would bring their RV and would stay at FW. And, a friend in California has a more extended school year. Their back in school in August, but their vacations tend to be off peak from other folks. I know there's alot of discussion about extending school years in various cities - so who knows? In 10 years we may all have some shifts in schedules!

marlyn
04-22-2002, 09:47 AM
I took my kids out for 2 weeks in 2000 and will be doing it again next year. You can always ask for homework in advance, or perhaps they can do extra work before you go. In my opinion, the kids get an education going away also. Look at all they see and learn! Travel and experiencing life outside the classroom is important also...and they really don't miss that much!
The crowds in off season are so much better and I think this makes the whole experience more enjoyable for everyone. If you are flying, look at all that time you will have on the plane and in the airport for your child to maybe do a little math homework!!! (if he can get his mind off being excited that is! LOL!) smile.gif

wishiwasthere
04-22-2002, 10:39 AM
We just returned from WDW at Easter Week with very heavy crowds, and although I would welcome a trip during the "off season", I do not think I would take DD out of school for a vacation. If you do decide to take kids out of school, I would suggest checking with the school, not just the teacher, as soon as possible. Some schools have requirements about number of days of attendance in order to advance to the next grade. Although your child's individual teacher may be willng to give you assignments in advance, be sure you know what the school's policy (or the school district's policy) is regarding vacations.

TwoTinyWings
04-22-2002, 01:10 PM
For a question like this, I tend to think more of the big picture than the details -- i.e., is it worth the trouble of the kids missing school(figuring out school schedules, working with teachers, getting homework, etc.) to take them to WDW?

Though we don't have kids yet, my husband and I agree that it is worth it to take the kids out of school. Sure, you'll encounter differing levels of cooperation (or not) depending on your school system (and the teachers in it), but if you're determined, you'll find a way. At least, that's the way my parents always viewed it -- they had to cut through a lot of school admin. red tape to even take us out of school for the afternoon to attend a play or concert. I know their "if we're determined, we'll make it happen" view has definitely been passed down to me. smile.gif

I wanted to write about something that Marlyn touched upon -- the educational value of a trip to WDW. It's all about something called experiential education, or informal learning (which I am a big fan of). It's the kind of learning you get in a hands-on science center, or a place like WDW. Even beginning with the trip down, your kids are learning -- experiencing travel, whether on a plane, train, or in a car, and watching how their parents interact can teach them how to be savvy travelers. 'Course, once you get to WDW, there is so much for them to learn, from what hydroponic gardening is, to how to be patient when waiting in line to ride Pooh. smile.gif My brother and I learned so much on trips to WDW without really realizing we were learning anything -- and, we always came back from WDW trips knowing all sorts of things we wouldn't necessarily learn in school. It's funny that so many people think of Epcot as the park that's least accessible to kids, while I don't think that's true at all. My brother and I always liked it the best, perhaps because we did learn so many "neat" things just by being there.

I know not everyone agrees with my opinion that it's OK to pull kids out of school for a Disney trip -- to each his own. Everyone has to do what's right for their kids and for their family. But, in my own humble opinion, WDW is perhaps the best vacation a family can take together -- it's fun, it's entertaining, it's imaginative, and it's educational in both obvious and not-so-obvious ways. I'm not saying it is a better educational experience than school, just one that is equally important for kids to have (and one that's worth missing a bit of school).

TCLites
04-22-2002, 01:27 PM
I'll speak as a former (for almost 20 years) high school principal. It is a hassle to have students gone from school. It can be difficult for students to make up the work missed. In a perfect world, nobody would be absent. All that said, take the kids out and have your vacation! I operated on the following priorities

God, Family, School, Job, Activities. In otherwords, Religious activities and Family Activities come before school. That being said, reason also needs to be part of the picture. Plan to miss as little school as possible, communicate with the teacher as far ahead as possible, consider a small token of appreciation or thanks for the teacher if he/she does prepare work ahead of time or takes extra time to catch your child up on return, and don't miss too much school. The parents that irritated me were the ones that wanted kids out of school for numerous shopping trips, non-family acitivities, haircuts, etc...

It always amazed me that the one teacher I had on my staff that NEVER thought it was appropriate for a student to leave for a family vacation ALWAYS wanted a one week leave for a vacation during the year. He also used every day he could get (even lied about being sick on occassion) to hunt, go to auctions, take a shopping trip with his daugther, etc.

Don't overdo it, but family time is VERY important. Sometimes, more important then school, and I think school is pretty important.

E-OR
04-22-2002, 04:44 PM
We have a May trip planned. Due to my husbands work schedule and other concerns during other times of the year we always choose fall or spring to go to WDW. My boys are 12 and 18. This year the oldest, a senior in high school, is not going. We were going to go during spring break but he did not want to miss his last spring break with his friends. WE will take our youngest out of school and have him make up what he misses. My husband always says "is it going to make a difference 10 years from now if he misses a week of school?" He is an excellent student that misses very littel school other wise.

Last time we were in WDW we got to see the space shuttle go up. I can guarentee you that not one other student in his school has seen that!!

Have4Boys
04-22-2002, 10:48 PM
I say go for it! graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'm a teacher and mom of four school-age children and we are going in May. My kids' teachers are all very supportive and understand the value of the educational experiences they will have while we are at WDW. It doesn't hurt to share with them ideas of "projects" you might have your child do. For the kindergartener, it's an ABC book; 2nd & 5th grade, daily journal entries that will be made into a book with accompanying photos (also planned ahead and had the 2nd grader do Walt Disney for a recent biography project); 9th grader, make-up work will be enough but will have him practice his Spanish skills in Mexico. We'll also do the passports at EPCOT, visit "One Man's Dream" at MGM, and many more activities that can ONLY be done at Disney World!!

I have to say that as a teacher, I am very fortunate to work for a principal who values family as much as I do. I also have the luxury of being able to take some personal days to do this.

Relax and enjoy. Make family memories to last a lifetime!!

Only 11 days!! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

DisneyScarlie
04-23-2002, 02:00 AM
TAKE 'EM OUTTA SCHOOL!!
Hehe. No, I'm not plotting with your kids against school. ;) I'm a college student now. When I was in elementary school, my parents took me and my sister out of school quite a few years for weekly vacations to Disney. I admit, I don't have many memories of stuff that happened in elementary school...but I can remember all of my family vacations to Disney! And Disney can be educational, especially with EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.
Seriously, in most elementary and middle schools, it's no biggie. Work can be made up. It's totally worth it to take advantage of the off season. I can remember going to Disney over my birthday (in November) and when the Christmas decorations were up, but when the crowds were almost non-existant. It's so great to be able to do that. High school, however is different. Making up a week's worth of work would be quite overwhelming.
Now that I'm in college, we are able to go in mid-May, and no one has to miss any school, since universities get out so early. But, man, I wish I could go back to when I could go for a week in November or early December!
Take advantage of it now. :D I'm positive that my two sisters and one step-sister who now work in the education field would agree!

Scarlett