PDA

View Full Version : It really works! (Thanks, LottaLubes)

Pongo
03-05-2002, 09:18 AM
I finally booked my next WDW vacation, all thanks to LottaLubes and something she posted. As her post was in Mousellaneous I don't know if everyone saw it, and it is great for vacation planning.

I am currently saving for a non-Disney vacation later this year. I did not know how to do this and also save for WDW next year. Then I read a post where LottaLubes set up her WDW reservation as a standing payment with her online banking. After making my reservation I used the reservation number as an account number and set it up to automatically send payments twice a month to correspond with paychecks. By the time we get to WDW next year I will have the hotel paid for and $1000 in spending money on account. As I use my room key to pay for things, they will simply debit it from the balance. I called CRO yesterday and they have received the first two payments, so I know it works.

We all know that if we put aside money we often tap into it for other expenses. If we send the money off to WDW, we know it's there waiting for us.

LottaLubes
03-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Hurray! graemlins/mickey.gif

I'm still using this method as well. Like you said, for me (and now you!) it's easier to approach the vacation as a bill, I've been paying weekly and it's amazing how fast the balance shrinks (I keep track on my end)! Plus, because my kids don't know about this trip, they don't see what goes out in the mail ;) thus, it will be a long time before they catch on!

DisneyWizard
03-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Thanks for that great tip, Lori (and Lotta)! It sounds like a good idea. Where do you plan on going for a non-Disney vacation?

Dopeysfriend
03-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Those are great tips! graemlins/thumbsup.gif How nice to go on vacation and not have to worry about taking a huge hit in the pocket book all at once.

The other way that I save for WDW is to buy Disney dollars at the Disney Store leading up to the trip. You can buy up to $100 at a time and there's no worry of spending the money before your trip. :D

MKPlutoGuy
03-05-2002, 08:26 PM
Thats a pretty neat suggestion! Thanks guys! I'll mention that to my parents, when they see the bill, so it won't be too overwhelming :D

Imalismom
03-06-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Dopeysfriend:

<snip>
The other way that I save for WDW is to buy Disney dollars at the Disney Store leading up to the trip. . :D FYI - Just in case someone is planning on ever staying at the Shades of Green...
They do not take Disney Dollars ANYWHERE on their property... DO NOT DO THIS... I had to get $2000.00 worth of Disney dollars changed BACK into cash at WDW 2 trips ago, it was a shock to me that they did not take them... Just thought I'd pass the word.

Pongo
03-06-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by DisneyWizard:
Where do you plan on going for a non-Disney vacation?October: 8 day/7 night Mexican Riviera Cruise graemlins/muscles.gif
I couldn't talk DH into a Disney Cruise.For some reason he chose a 1 hr drive to the dock over a 6 hr flight to FL.

Side trips:
April - New Mexico (DS karate tournament)
July - Vegas (DS karate tournament)
August - San Francisco/Napa
December - Vegas (see family)

ganj
03-06-2002, 09:51 AM
That is great. Can you give us some more info on how you set this up?

Thanks

LottaLubes
03-06-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ganj:
That is great. Can you give us some more info on how you set this up?

ThanksHere is the original post on this subject if you'd like to go through it. If your bank allows you to electonically pay your bills via the computer, you are golden!

http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=002138

Pongo
03-06-2002, 11:14 AM
I pay all my bills online through my banks webpage. If the bill has an account number, address, and telephone number you can pay it electonically. You can choose to go on each month and pay any amount (which is what I do for gas cards, American Express, etc. or you can have it send a set amount for a specific date each month (cable bill, level pay plans on utilities, car payments, etc.) For WDW I stated I wanted it sent every other thursday and gave a set amount. I would recommend doing one payment and then calling about 10 days later to make sure they got it before setting up a standing payment.

Roland
03-06-2002, 04:45 PM
I don't get it. How is paying for a vacation ahead of time by paying a little bit every month better than just hanging on to your money where it can gain interest and you get to keep all of it until you absolutely need to pay for a vacation?

Aren't you really giving someone else the opportunity to make more money off your money?

I know people have different methods to paying bills, but this one I don't get.
:confused:

Roland
03-06-2002, 04:46 PM
I don't get it. How is paying for a vacation ahead of time by paying a little bit every month better than just hanging on to your money where it can gain interest and you get to keep all of it until you absolutely need to pay for a vacation?

Aren't you really giving someone else the opportunity to make more money off your money?

I know people have different methods to paying bills, but this one I don't get.
:confused:

LottaLubes
03-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Hi Roland. You are right. You could save the money in your own account and earn interest. However, if I have access to my money, I spend it. I found this to be convenient way to make going to DW not so painful. Who knows, maybe Disney can use the interest to help them come out of their economical slump. ;)

It's not for everyone but some people like the idea.

braindew
03-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Maybe we need to communicate this to those timeshare leaches. We don't have to go their route to make payments for vacations. Besides, we like to be able to choose every detail of our vacation and have the freedom to stay where and when we want. Nice idea.

Roland
03-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by LottaLubes:
Hi Roland. You are right. You could save the money in your own account and earn interest. However, if I have access to my money, I spend it. I found this to be convenient way to make going to DW not so painful. Who knows, maybe Disney can use the interest to help them come out of their economical slump. ;)

It's not for everyone but some people like the idea.Okay, now I get it. Kind of like a 'forced savings' concept. Yes, I wasn't even thinking of it that way, but some people use the concept in a Christmas Club, Vacation Club, paying utilities on a schedule, etc,...

See what happens when an investor in on the boards? ;)

Pongo
03-07-2002, 01:06 PM
LottaLubes, that's exactly my reasoning. When I make investments, they are for the long haul and I can't quickly get my hands on it. With the money I can quickly get my hands on, I spend. If I had to rely on low interest/highly accessible savings, there would be nothing there for vacations. I guess I could open a vacation account and do the same automatic money transfer as I do with automatic payments, but I don't want to be tempted.

imported_PolyGirl40
03-08-2002, 06:50 AM
Great tips Lori and Diane. If it makes things easier - I’m all for it. graemlins/muscles.gif

My husband is from the *Roland school*. :D He would never part with his money before it’s necessary. However - I can see how this would work efficiently.

Originally posted by Dopeysfriend:

The other way that I save for WDW is to buy Disney dollars at the Disney Store leading up to the trip. That's a wonderful idea too, Sam. Sort of like mini Disney savings bonds. :D My kids love getting Disney dollars for occasions. It's much easier for them to save for an upcoming trip - without temptation.

:cool:

Roland
03-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
Great tips Lori and Diane. If it makes things easier - I’m all for it. graemlins/muscles.gif

My husband is from the *Roland school*. :D I must give credit to my wife for my schooling.

Her father was a business man and taught her very well. Believe me, I used to get those looks :confused: before we were married when it came to finances. I'm much better now :rolleyes: