PDA

View Full Version : First night

KathyandScottGammer
02-14-2002, 09:09 AM
We will be arriving in Orlando on Saturday,May 4 around 2:00pm. I planned on spending the afternoon checking into our hotel, swimming and shopping for some food. (we are staying off site at a villa in Marriott's Royal Palm). We were thinking of going to downtown disney for dinner on our first night, but the only places that take reservations are Fulton's Crab House (too expensive) and the Rainforest Cafe (we live close to the one in NY and have been there so many times). With 12 people on a Saturday night, I don't think we should try to "just get in" somewhere. Any suggestions? graemlins/mickey.gif

pjbs35a
02-14-2002, 09:23 AM
If you you don't have to eat in DD, you might try TGIFriday's. It is in the Crossroads Shopping center which is very close to DD.

goofypilot
02-14-2002, 10:34 AM
Howdie do again to you,

Yes, it's me from your last post. I have no flights today and I'm rattling off on this old board. TGI-Friday's at the Crossroads is a great place for a party that size. It's only about 2-miles from your hotel and the area is safe but busy. The restaurant if you are not fam. is like Applebees, Chilis, Outback and such. It's located right in the Crossroad's Plaza which is behind the McDonalds. It's a nice place for both adult and kids. The Saturday night that you have chosen should be ok for crowds(typical). We go there every Easter break and have been there on Friday and Saturday eves with no problems being seated(a brief wait of 20-minutes or so).

Jillpie
02-14-2002, 10:56 AM
If you want to get into the disney feel of things, Ohana's at the Polynesian resort is great. You can go to the MK (but not go in) and take the monorail. The food is awesome, you get a great view of the castle and the kids have a great time with hoola hoops and coconut racing smile.gif

KathyandScottGammer
02-14-2002, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions--I am interested in O'Hana's--we have so many TGI Friday's in my area that it doesn't seem special enough...

Do we have to use one of our park day passes to just go for a meal?

How is the food for picky children?

faline
02-14-2002, 12:58 PM
O'Hana's is a restaurant located within in the Poly. You do not need to use a park ticket to eat there. You also do not need to go to the MK to get there.

You should be able to drive right to the Poly. I understand you will be provided with a 3 hour parking pass to accommodate your dining plans.

If you are relying on Disney transportation, the Poly is just a short walk from the T&TC or you can take the monorail from the T&TC.

Happy vacationer
02-14-2002, 01:10 PM
You could also do a character meal at the Contemporary. You can make reservations and it would be a great Disney start as well. graemlins/laughing.gif

MadHatter
02-14-2002, 03:44 PM
I agree with Happy vacationer.

Chef Mickey's is a great way to start a WDW vacation. The characters cavort, the buffet is delicious and you could go up to the obsrvation deck at the California Grill and watch the MK fireworks!

CJDDS
02-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Any of the resort restaurants would be great. Don't want to sound like a broken record, but Trails End at Ft. Wilderness has a great buffet, roomy and informal setting. Can you tell it is my favorite???? graemlins/tasty.gif

tad_tad
02-14-2002, 08:47 PM
Here's where it's at...

Get a priority seating at Portobello Yacht Club on Pleasure Island. It's a really nice place with wonderful food. You don't have to pay admission to PI to go there. This is one of my favorite restaurants at WDW!

MnDloveDisney
02-14-2002, 09:25 PM
I would second Jillpie's recommendation to go to OHana at the Poly. The food is served at your table in a sort of family style, with the appetizers/sides placed on a lazy susan in the center (salad, rice, stickey wings, dips for the meat, stir frield veggies). Then, they bring skewers of grilled meat (pork, turkey, shrimp and beef) around and serve each person. The food is excellent! Plus they have fun games for the kids and a neat snowcone dessert served in a sand pail that would be fun for the kids to share.

I would highly recommend it!

Bouncy
02-15-2002, 04:40 PM
Make that three recommendations for O'Hanas!!!!!

It's the perfect spot for a big group of people. As stated, they serve the food family style, all you can eat. The food is yummy.

Since you're arriving on a Saturday, it's almost a cinch that there will be fireworks that night. Check to make sure and if so, make your PS for around 1/2 hour before the fireworks start, and plan to get to restaurant a good 15-20 before your ressies. Ask for a table by the window.... you may not get it, but it's worth it to ask.

Have a great time!

Tinkermom
02-15-2002, 05:23 PM
Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary is what we did for our first night. It was a blast! The kids were kind of ancy (sp?) after traveling and this was a great place. They got to get up out of their seats and be a part of a parade led by Chef Mickey , Donald Duck, Minnie etc! It was a great way to get into "Disney mode"! The food is buffet style and was very good.

Lisa