PDA

View Full Version : Questions, Questions, Questions

doodlebug
01-28-2002, 10:25 AM
First off I am a transfer Intercotee from the Westside and love using Intercotwest but now I almost have my dh talked into coming to Disneyworld since airline tickets are so cheap from Seattle and would cost as much as going to California right now.. smile.gif I haven't been to Florida for 20 years so need help..

First.. We are thinking of coming End of April to Mid June.. What would be the best week to come to avoid big crowds?

Second.. We found a great rate for the Moderate priced hotels on site so which one would you suggest for a family of 4 (me, dh, ds 5 & dd 2).
(caribbean beach, Coronado Springs, Dixid Landing or Port Orleans)

Third.. Do we really need a car if staying on-site the whole time?

Also any first time planning tips are greatly appreciated!! I will have more questions later so appreciate all your input and knowledge on Disneyworld

WDWaddict
01-28-2002, 10:43 AM
Personally I would recomend April for your trip. School here in Florida ends in May for Summer Vacation. That is when it will start to become crowded. I have not stayed at any of the resorts so I can not give you any opinions. But I am sure you would love any of them.

My family of four always use our own vehicles to travel around. We have used the busses before but, it was much faster to get in the car to go from park to park. The only parks we do not drive from are the MK and Epcot. The monorail is your best option there. I hope I was some help. I hope you have a great time.

graemlins/mickey.gif

TiggerRPh
01-28-2002, 11:01 AM
graemlins/clappy.gif Welcome to Intercot graemlins/clappy.gif

Since Easter is at the end of March and the school crowds begin mid June, I would recommend that you go mid to late April.

As far as the resorts....Dixie Landings is now part of Port Orleans, but a lot of PO has been closed down while they do some rehab work. Coronado Springs is geared more towards the convention traffic and has been accused of not being as "family oriented" as one would expect from a Disney resort.

We have gone with a group as large as 7 and never used a car while on property. I would have no problem using the buses all the time.

honeybear
01-28-2002, 11:03 AM
I have only stayed a Carribean Beach and it was nice. I have only gone in the summer, but that is a good point about the Florida kids.

Piglet822
01-28-2002, 02:58 PM
We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, formerly Dixie Landings, a few years back and absolutely loved it. Different people have different opinions and it's really a matter of personal taste since each resort has it's own theme. Port Orleans French Quarter the original Port Orleans, has been closed temporarily.
As far as needing a car on property, unless you're a control freak (like me, I have to have my car) you probably won't need a car. I've spoken to many people who have rented a car and stayed on property and the car ended up being parked in the hotel parking lot all week. Take the money you would spend on a rental and enjoy a really nice dinner somewhere on property.
Ask as many questions as you want. You'll get all the answers you need right here at Intercot.
Oh yeah...........
graemlins/muscles.gif WELCOME TO INTERCOT!!!!!!!!! graemlins/muscles.gif

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Piglet822 ]</p>

Jeff
01-28-2002, 03:19 PM
Have stayed at Dixey several times and loved it.

We usually rent a car but often rarely use it. It comes in handy to get to the water parks and Downtown (buses slower to Downtown it seems).

Bert & Sully
01-30-2002, 07:59 AM
We stayed at CBR last spring and loved it. I agree with others that late April's best. We were there in May and while it was slower from time to time various areas closed early in preparation for "Senior Night". The highschools down here, or at least in the Tallahassee area, send the Seniors down to Orlando to go to WDW and other popular places in the area. This compounded with the fact that most schools are out by the weekend before Labor Day can make things very busy(especially MK).

Happy planning :D :D

Tank3434
01-30-2002, 12:27 PM
I stayed st all of the moderate resorts POR is currently closed but I would suggest Carribean Beach mainily because if the food court the Cornado springs was beautiful one if my favorites but I was a little disappointed in the food selection they had. I dont think it is really necessary to rent a car the bus transportation id pretty fast and makes going to the Magic Kingdon much more convenient. i would also say that late April is the best time tto go the rates drop after the 20th of April so keep that in mind too. have a blast! graemlins/notworthy.gif

Piglet822
01-30-2002, 01:08 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tank3434:
POR is currently closed <hr></blockquote>

I believe only portions of POR are closed. Up until last week, we were still picking up and dropping off for DCL.

claysmom
01-30-2002, 01:27 PM
I would recommend late April. You should miss spring break and the end of school year crowds.

I am partial to the CBR. I love it there! Just try to avoid South Trinidad... you'll be in a galaxy far far away there. We're staying there in 2 days with our ds (2) and cousin (8). We were at Port Orleans last year with my mom and ds and it was a little bit cramped, but not bad. If my mother hadn't packed an entire suitcase of shoes, we would've been fine. (Between all of her shoes and all of my shoes there was a lot of clutter!) We also had a crib in the room - ds is in a big boy bed now.

If you're staying on -site, I think you'll be fine without a car. We usually drive, but once we park our car we don't get back in it until we leave.

Have fun!

MickeyMark
01-30-2002, 01:51 PM
I'd suggest Port Orleans if you can get it, and don't waste money on a car.

Since you're used to Disneyland, where the two parks are just a stone's throw away from each other, be warned that travel between the four WDW parks takes significantly longer. However, the buses drop you off near the gates and you avoid a $6/day parking charge.

Have fun!

MM

ParkHopper
01-30-2002, 03:19 PM
I would suggest CBR and no car - we have always found that Disney does a nice job with transportation overall - yes you could wait a little extra sometimes but it more than makes up for itself especially w/the monorail.

Have fun!!!!

doodlebug
01-31-2002, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all this info.. Sounds like more of you are leaning me towards CBR and no car if we are staying on Disney property (which we are)...

Now I understand this is a very big place so is there anywhere that I can find a map with building numbers/name on them so I can request exactly where I would like to be... OR you experts tell me which building is the best for our family of four. Near bus stops, food & good pool (Am I asking too much) :D

Also am going to try and get room for April 27 - May 5th.. Anyone know if any conventions or big groups that might be there.. Thought I saw something about a Star Wars or Star Trek something or other being there around that time..

Beast_fanatic
01-31-2002, 11:27 PM
Hi doodlebug (love the name!)! Welcome to Intercot! graemlins/muscles.gif

Here's a link (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/caribbeanbeach/default.asp) to a lot of information about CBR including recommendations on which areas are best. At the bottom of this page is a link to a map of the resort.

As far as big groups at that time, the Star Wars event that you refer to is the only thing that I'm aware of at this time. Star Wars events occur on the weekends in May (at least they have in the past, I haven't heard much about it yet this year), and they occur only at Disney Studios. We were there last year on one of the weekends and didn't have any problems with extra crowds. Most of the people that were there for the event were partaking of the special Star Wars activities (autograph signings by some of the original stars, characters available for photos, Jedi training, etc.). As a matter of fact, Star Tours was a walk-on while we were there.

Hope this information helps! If you have any more questions about CBR, I suggest you post your questions in the Accommodations forum where I'm sure you'll get a lot more attention.

Have fun! :D

doodlebug
02-01-2002, 09:08 AM
Thank you all for your answers and help.. I think CBR sounds great but my ds just saw pictures of the pool with the King Triton(?) riding a Sea Snake and you slide out of his mouth.. Is that at POR??

Gosh this is so much harder than planning our trip to Disneyland where you only have 3 choices. smile.gif

Pongo
02-01-2002, 09:31 AM
Hi Doodlebug! Welcome to the East Side - haven't seen you on IntercotWest for awhile.

We recently stayed at CBR and loved it. The pool was very nice, bus service was great, and the food court did it's job for us. We did not ever need a car. Use IBEX towncar (see link at top of page) for round trip airport transportation and then use the buses to get around WDW.

Do this trip, you won't be sorry!

doodlebug
02-01-2002, 09:38 AM
Thanks Pongo.. I come & go on Intercot West just to check and see what everyone is up to..

I just have to find great airfare from Seattle and my dh says we can go for sure.. So will be search for that this weekend so I can then make the call for hotel.... smile.gif

Piglet822
02-01-2002, 09:57 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by doodlebug:
Thank you all for your answers and help.. I think CBR sounds great but my ds just saw pictures of the pool with the King Triton(?) riding a Sea Snake and you slide out of his mouth.. Is that at POR??

<hr></blockquote>

If it's the water slide I'm thinking of, it's at POFQ which is currently closed. :( I could be mistaken though, are there any other water slides around WDW fitting this description? Anyone?

2PrincessesMom
02-01-2002, 06:17 PM
Sounds like the waterslide at POFQ to me also. Our family has stayed there twice because of that waterslide! graemlins/crazy.gif My DD loves it! I haven't broken the news to her that this year we can't stay there graemlins/mixed.gif

SpecJoe Magic
02-01-2002, 06:35 PM
I have never been to WDW in April or May but I can tell you that June is crowded and hot.

Resort Hotels:
Caribbean beach has a nice food court and pool. It is one of the largest hotels on WDW property.

Port Orleans Riverside(use to be Dixie Landings):
I have not stayed at it since the name change. It has a great food court. I really liked it a lot but it seems like there is quite a bit of walking involved at that hotel.(Of course, that goes for all of WDW smile.gif ) Can take the boat to Downtown Disney.

Port Orleans Frence Quarter:
The most compact of the 4 you mentioned. Less walking is involved at this hotel. I am not a big fan of the food court at this one, but it is okay. Can take the boat to Downtown Disney. Good pool area for the little ones. Especially the water slide.

Coronado Springs:
I've never stayed at this one. I've been to the pool and it is great. Some of my extended family have stayed at this one and they absolutely hated the food court. Something to do with a gratuity charge and you had to wait to be seated.

I don't think you will need a car unless you just prefer to drive to the theme parks instead of taking the bus from whatever hotel you stay at. The bus transportation from the hotel to the theme parks is free and that is what we usually always use.

Hope this helps!

graemlins/mickey.gif

The King Triton on the Sea Serpent slide is definitely at Port Orleans French Quarter.

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: SpecJoe Magic ]</p>

doodlebug
02-01-2002, 07:12 PM
So PO-FQ is closed and will probably still be closed end of April beginning of May????? So I guess it will be back to first choice of CBR.. Thanks for that detailed info on each hotel.

Now I need to find that cheap airfare and I will be all set.. ;)

DisneyAggies
02-01-2002, 09:54 PM
Doodlebug!! I just looked up some fares on Southwest airlines. They have tickets from $72 (one way) to Orlando from Seattle. You might want to check it out!!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

doodlebug
02-02-2002, 10:00 AM
Thanks DisneyAggies... I am on my way to Southwest website smile.gif smile.gif

Patricia
02-17-2002, 01:57 PM
doodlebug,

I'm late here, but I noticed your post at Icotwest saying you wanted to use a porta crib.. :D

I stayed at CBR when I needed a crib and they provided it for me (it was an actual crib here).. they also have the largest room floor space of all the moderate resorts. The pool you described above is PO French Quarter and it is closed.. but the main pool at CBR is very cool and also has a water slide, waterfalls and water cannons.. My kids loved it. Here's a pool picture (http://i.disb.go.com/pscdisney/wdwr/images/resorts/moderateresorts/carribbeanbeach/photos/rscarphoto6zom.jpg).

We have stayed at PO Riverside and enjoyed the amenties there also. The bayou section has small trundle beds (close to the floor) although some two year olds still need the rails to sleep comfortably. You can get a porta crib in here, but you have a little less room.
Again.. a cool pool. pool picture[ (http://i.disb.go.com/pscdisney/wdwr/images/resorts/moderateresorts/dixielanding/photos/rsptrsphoto5zom.jpg)

You'll have fun where ever you are.

As a single Mom, I love the whole "I don't have to do anything while I'm on vacation" feel and that includes driving. I always relax and use the buses, if I have to wait a few minutes, I don't care. I consider it down time. We chat and plan while we wait.
smile.gif

Beast_fanatic
02-17-2002, 04:26 PM
One clarification about some information SpecJoe Magic posted above: the boat to Downtown Disney from POR/PO-FQ has been discontinued. I have not heard any rumors about this being reinstated.