PDA

View Full Version : Planning tip for "couples without kids"

EvaBryan
07-19-2001, 06:51 PM
This is a tip for those traveling without kids - whether it be childless couples, Mom & Dads on a vacation for "themselves" or honeymooners, it is an important tip.

My husband and I are still newlyweds
and although we don't dislike children, we would like to be able to enjoy our time without them before we start a family. And since we are big kids ourselves we love to vacation at WDW. In the future we will have plenty of time to stand in lines with other families, but until then, we plan differently.

We have noticed that the single most
important decision we can make is to plan our vacations away from school vacations. Here in the northeast kids are generally in school from Labor Day to Father's Day, with breaks around Christmas/New Year's, President's Week, Easter and Memorial Day. My southern cousins usually started school a few weeks before us and finished around Memorial Day.

So, in order to avoid large crowds and
oodles of kids we vacation during the times when the little ones are in school. I know beth likes to go in September - a good choice since kids start school around then and parents are less likely to pull kids out of school. Imalismom also pointed out that this is the time for the Disneyana convention - another attraction for adults.

Others like to go in November and December, when families are busy with the holidays. October, though a little more crowded, is the time for the Food & Wine Festival - a surefire "adult" event.

We like to vacation in December (our
anniversary) and early spring (non-Easter time), since the temps are lower and the crowds are usually thinner. Early December is a wonderfully pleasant time of year to visit - low crowds, low temps and beautiful Christmas decorations.

We also find that we save some $$ on airfare, car rentals and hotel rooms when we travel off-season. Another bonus.

Have fun planning!!!

Eva

35 days!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by EvaBryan (edited July 19, 2001).]

Jeannine
07-19-2001, 07:25 PM
We are going 12/5 -12/10 to celebrate my birthday and our 3 year wedding anniversary both a little late.....my b-day is in november and we were married in september!! Anyway, I agree with you and i can't wait to see the christmas decorations. I am so excited......only 136 days to go.....YEAH!!

------------------
Jeannine

*****Remember the Magic*****

May 1997 (Engaged!)
October 1999 (ASMusic & CBR)
September 2000 (WL)
December 2001 (PO-FQ)

beth
07-19-2001, 07:38 PM
More tips can be found here:
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/adults/romance.asp

------------------
beth
[email protected]
Intercot Staff Member

"Love and Mercy that's what you need tonight. So Love and Mercy to you and your friends tonight."

For more fun on all things Disney, check out our sister site, www.webdisney.com (http://www.webdisney.com)

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com (http://www.intercotwest.com)

Shepherdboy
07-21-2001, 11:45 AM
We just returned from a weekend trip where we left our kids at home with the grandparents. We have a trip with the kids planned for September, but we had some free airline tickets that we needed to use and we are annual passholders so the temptation was too great.
One of the things that we did was to take some of the behind the scenes tours since we can't do those with the kids. Most of the tours require that you be 16. There is one that is about trains that allows 10 year olds. Since our kids are 5, it would be a while before we could do the tours with them so we took advantage of this opportunity. I really enjoyed them and would recommmend them to anyone who has visited WDW several times already.

Shepherdboy

------------------
WDW: 7/72, 7/82, 9/91, 9/94, 9/95, 10/95, 12/96, 10/97, 9/00, 2/01, 4/01,
7/01

DisneyRN
07-22-2001, 05:31 AM
Oh, somebody must have stole my brain to post this topic. Evabryan, did you pick my brain without me realizing it? These are all my sentiments exactly. I am so psyched about going this Dec.-I can hardly stand the next 4 and 1/4 months. We were gonna go in Jan. of '02 for our second anniversary, but Mardi Gras kind of put a damper on things. So, we were "forced" (oh, the agony http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink2.gif )to go in Dec. Now, I couldn't be more excited about all the Christmas decorations and festivities. I will be there with husband in tote Dec. 1-10.

It seems that a lot of people said they are going during this time...does anyone else worry that it will be a little more crowded than usual?

------------------
By the way, my name is Mary

"It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."

"You want to go to Disney World again? But we just went there last year!" (Direct quote from my dear husband)

Off site-August'89
CS-'00 January Honeymoon
Offsite-'01 March
Next Visit- '01 December @ WL for 10 glorious X-Mas Days!

[This message has been edited by DisneyRN (edited July 22, 2001).]

EvaBryan
07-22-2001, 10:07 AM
I hope I didn't steal your brain RN!!!

I don't think the parks will be too crowded around the first few weeks of December, although with Walt's B-day celebration, I may be wrong. Traditionally this is a slower time of the year and you probably hear of a lot of couples without families in two then.

By the way, I was at WDW last Mardi Gras and it wasn't that bad. We went to Pleasure Island the day before Mardi Gras and decided that night to stay away the actual night of. I am short (5'2") so I was not able to see any of the parade running. I am also claustrophobic so I thought it best to stay away during a really crowded evening - mu tall husband had a hard enough time trying to catch beads and enjoy himself. We almost got killed a couple of times fighting for beads.

Other that PI the crowds were very light and the weather was great!! High in low 80's, no humidity and short lines. I wouldn't hesitate to go around Mardi Gras. Although, Christmas is prettier!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------

DisneyRN
07-22-2001, 05:32 PM
Oh, Eva, don't misunderstand me. We didn't switch to avoid Mardi Gras in Orlando. We switched because my husband and I are in an organization together for Mardi Gras, and we parade together smack in the middle of when we would've been in WDW. Our organization actually kicks off the Mardi Gras season for Mobile every year. We are always the first parade and ball. And since it is early this year, we parade in the second week of January. So, instead of celebrating our anniversary at the world, we will spend it together on a float on an island in January in the cold. http://www.intercot.com/boards/eek.gif

------------------
By the way, my name is Mary

"It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."

"You want to go to Disney World again? But we just went there last year!" (Direct quote from my dear husband)

Off site-August'89
CS-'00 January Honeymoon
Offsite-'01 March
Next Visit- '01 December @ WL for 10 glorious X-Mas Days!