PDA

View Full Version : To rent a car or not to rent a car. . .

serena
10-01-2002, 12:08 PM
this is my question. ;) I'm planning on going back to WDW next year, and I'm just wondering if it is worth my while to rent a car. I'll be going by myself. I'm not really sure if I'll be going to any of the outside parks but I'm not a terribly patient person when it comes to waiting for transportation when I want to get somewhere, when I have plans. That's the main reason why I'm thinking of it, so I can drive over to the park for the day rather than rely on the buses. I'm also considering it for the reason of finding cheaper food outside of the World. But I'm just not certain if these pluses outweigh the cons. If any of you have any experience in this situation, I'd love to hear your insight. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kjblovesdisney
10-01-2002, 12:30 PM
I have always had a rental car on my trips. ( I am also not patient when it come to traveling anywhere) I drive to the parks and Downtown Disney. Depending on how long I'm there will determine how often I leave the World, but it is great for last minute plans to just hop in the car and go. Also if you are staying on site the parking is free at all the parks, so you can drive, park and go. I don't think that I will ever not have a car on vacation to WDW. Scope out car rental rates and because its just you , you can go the economy car route... hope this helps...

NJDad
10-01-2002, 01:03 PM
I think you could save a lot by eating offsite for your basic meals. I would, however, use Disney Transportation for the Magic Kingdom.

imvicky1999
10-01-2002, 02:03 PM
Deffinately, Rent a car. If you miss a bus you must wait for another. If you want to leave a place, you must wait for a bus. I don't know how Disney Hotel buses are. We have stayed off site and most of there buses don't pick up till 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. A car is so much more convienant. I have done both, I will never go again without renting a car. Buses can be nice, in the fact that you are not doing the driving. But by the time they pick everyone up you could have been in the park and on your first ride. So far the cheapest prices I have found are at Enterprise. We are getting a full size car for 2 wks for $447.00 (with tax). I have looked both on-line and called them directly and so far they have had the best prices.
Good Luck!
Vicky

Lyle
10-01-2002, 02:09 PM
I go to Disney Solo also, and I definetly have to rent a car. I enjoy having the freedom to go off-site and eat or just to us it to go to the parks. I'm not very patient either, and I like being able to get in my car and leave without having to wait on a bus. It's nice to be able to drive around to the different resorts also. MK is the only park I don't recommend driving to. Take the bus to that park. All others I enjoy driving there. I just like having the freedom to go and come as I please. Don't get me wrong, the bus service is great. Renting a car is just what I'd rather do. I'm going to Disney in Dec., which will be my 4th trip, and I've always rented a car and always will. I think It's definetly worth renting a car.

Munch
10-01-2002, 02:24 PM
Seems to me whatever you would save in food costs would be ate up by the rental car. Are you staying on-site or off? If you are staying on-site, are you really going to leave WDW 3 times a day for meals, which includes hiking back to your car everytime, finding a parking spot everytime, etc.?. And if you do want to go experience something outside WDW, I believe you can arrange for a rental car through your resort. You may not like waiting on a bus, but will you like hiking through the parking lot any better? Realistically, how often are you planning to run back to the hotel during the day? And where are you staying? Because some of the resorts have monorail and even ferry access to some of the parks. On the other hand, if you are staying off-site you may find a car more convient than the shuttle the hotel might provide, but then you'll have to pay for parking.

What I'm saying is, there's a lot to look at besides waiting for a bus.

Munch
10-01-2002, 02:33 PM
Seems to me whatever you would save in food costs would be ate up by the rental car. Are you staying on-site or off? If you are staying on-site, are you really going to leave WDW 3 times a day for meals, which includes hiking back to your car everytime, finding a parking spot everytime, etc.?. And if you do want to go experience something outside WDW, I believe you can arrange for a rental car through your resort. You may not like waiting on a bus, but will you like hiking through the parking lot any better? Realistically, how often are you planning to run back to the hotel during the day? And where are you staying? Because some of the resorts have monorail and even ferry access to some of the parks. On the other hand, if you are staying off-site you may find a car more convient than the shuttle the hotel might provide, but then you'll have to pay for parking.

What I'm saying is, there's a lot to look at besides waiting for a bus.

disneynarula
10-01-2002, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't bother with the rental car unless you really want to travel off WDW property. I rented a car once and it just sat in the parking lot. I found that it was more time consuming driving the car rather than using the transporation that disney provides. The buses/monorail drop you right in front of the park's entrance. You don't have to drive around and look for a parking space and then take a tram to the entrance.

Not renting a car saves money in my opinion!!!! Esp if you are not splitting the costs with someone!!!

Have a great time!! Planning is half the fun!!!

serena
10-02-2002, 02:08 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful points! Yeah, I should have said this at the start, but my plans are to stay onsite at the All-Star Movie. At the moment, I'm leaning toward not renting a car. I did more thinking today & came to pretty much the same conclusion as Munch: whatever I would save by eating off-site would be swallowed up by the car rental, especially since I only have to worry about myself for food. I'll have to do a lot more thinking, of course, (heck, I have 11 months to think graemlins/laughing.gif ) but I really do appreciate all your thoughts. smile.gif

TiggerRPh
10-02-2002, 08:15 AM
We have never used a rental car and never seen a need for one. The buses have always been prompt and have not had an unreasonable wait (or have planned the wait into our transit time). If you're serious about going off property for food then it might be worth it for you.

Flower
10-02-2002, 10:36 AM
At night if you want to go over to Downtown Disney no buses. We have used the bus from the AS to DD at night.

If I was going by myself I would not rent a car. The food at all AS resorts is fairly cheap and you get good proportions. There is a variety of food so you can balance your nutrition fairly well.

We always keep some sort of food in our hotel room:oranges, apples, bread & peanut butter for quick snacks. I have found in the past that if you keep beverages on ice in your room sink, mousekeeping will bring styro coolers to your room (We found that out while staying at POR, so I am sure AS would be the same). I am sure that if you call the front desk of the hotel directly you can inquire if they do offer styro coolers, and call before your trip so you can plan. I am sure they are recycled coolers that other guests have left, but hey - you won't have to take a taxi to the Walmart to buy one.

The hotel shops at the AS sell milk,pop,beer & alcohol, small snacks - chips,crackers. Their prices can get expensive and deinitely cost more than a hometown grocery store. There is a chart in the 'Unofficial Guide' comparing grocery items at Goodings (Crossroads) & a Publix. For the same items at both stores you would pay approx $20 more over all at Goodings. Weighing it out: by the time you drove to Publix vs on-site purchasing convenience the extra $20 may not be so bad.

Also, A resort mug costs around $10 and is good for your length of stay at the resort. The mug entitles you to free pop, coffee & tea. Hot Chocolate used to be included but I think a recent post said you had to buy it now - I will be taking my own HC from home and just fill my mug with water. Drinks that are not included with the mugs are juice & milk (alcohol is not included obviously).

Yes food gets expensive, but I think overall a car rental would still cost more. The buses run fairly smoothly at the AS resorts and the only time we encountered a huge delay was at the close of MK after the fireworks - lets be honest though: Once any park closes and following the fireworks/illuminations/fantasmic there is going to be hold-ups getting back to your resort no matter what transportation you are using.

Missouri Bell
10-02-2002, 11:11 AM
I have a trip planned for the end of Oct and have gotten a mid-size rental car from Budget that I got through Priceline for a bid price of $20. a day. For me it was the only way to go since I also have plans to go to the gulf coast to enjoy the beach along with WDW.
I like the options open to a person when a car is available plus I have arranged an annual pass so parking is free even if I am staying off site.
When I'm at the park and wish to go to another I can use their transportation or my own so whichever is best at the moment. Plus I can have whatever I don't want to carry with me all the time in the park left in the car. Such as a small styrofoam cooler with sodas etc.
During my time I can go to a local laundrymat, enjoy off site dining when I wish and go to whatever points of interest outside WDW I may wish.
Since I also don't have to pay for shuttle service from the airport I can count that in as a savings also!
A person needs to weigh both the advantages and disadvantages of renting a car. The cost is one thing to consider but since I'm saving so much money with hotel rooms I.E. $40. a night at the Hyatt, my savings more than make up for the price of the car.

Townie
10-03-2002, 11:02 AM
We are going Oct. 16. I can't wait. We never used to rent a car and on a whim did it in March. It was great. The buses are sometimes crowded and you can't get a seat. The lines can be long depending on time of year. Plus you can drive anywhere, anytime. I recommend it! I got a mini van from Dollar this trip for $199 for the week

Jared
10-03-2002, 08:52 PM
I've done trips with and without the rental car, and I think that it's a lot more fun without it, if you're definitely got going to be leaving Walt Disney World. Using Disney transportation is definitely a big part of the experience for me, and it usually is very efficient. smile.gif