PDA

View Full Version : What is the least number of days you have gone to Disney

Nana
10-08-2002, 09:21 PM
We are going to Disney in a month. Now I am trying to decide how many days to go. We are leaving on a Fri night and driving down. Brad gets real car sick so we drive about 3 or 4 hours and spend the night and we will get there early Sat morning. Now the question is how many days to stay. I hate for the kids to miss much school and we were planning on coming home Monday late arriving home on Tuesday but know I think that is too little. I am thinking of staying through late Wed and driving home Wed and getting home Thurs. Has anyone gone to Disney and only stayed 2 1/2 days? Don't you think it would be better to stay 4 1/2 days? Is that even enough? Should we just cancel the trip and do something else since we do not have much time? I have DVC for my room and I have annual passes. The only cost will be meals.

EvaBryan
10-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Personally Becky - I would hate to only spend 2 1/2 days anywhere. It is just too short and I would never get a chance to relax. We took a four day trip last summer and it was kind of hard - plane trip, E-ride night, up early, out late. It was fun but I came back more tired than before I left!!! We often go to DC, Philly or Boston for a weekend and rush, rush, rush to get it all in and have now decided to only take trips 4 days or longer.

If you can swing at least 4 days I would. If it rains very heavy or if one of the kids gets sick, sluggish, cranky, etc. it will be easier to deal with because you don't have to fit it in into one short weekend!

Beast_fanatic
10-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Because of Bradley's car sickness, and because you don't want them to miss much school, I'd definitely think about doing something else closer to home. I'm afraid that you're going to feel cheated with so few days available and feel guilty about keeping the kids out of school.

On the other hand, if you focus your time on one or two parks and you don't try to see "everything" at WDW, I'm sure you could have a great time.

Missouri Bell
10-09-2002, 01:18 AM
I went to WDW once for just 1 day. I was vacationing on the coast and took a break from the beach taking in MGM, AK, and MK.
Since you have children I think you would have a great time as long as you do not push yourself and them into thinking you have to do EVERYTHING! I also would talk with my Dr to see if anything is available for the car sickness.
A good friend of mine had a suggestion not long ago about taking small children to WDW, that for the little ones she would only do 1 park with them, it is too much for a small child and they are overwhelmed by so much all at once. I thought it was an excellent idea! Even if you could only have 1 magical day there, it would be enough. Each time I have been to WDW I have seen some parents and young children both looking dazed and exhausted because they wanted to give their children everything while there.
Make a list of things you really want to do on this trip and then look at it to see if it can be done in the time you have.
I wish I had just 1 day of a trip to WDW with my family when I was a child. We never took trips like that and it would have meant so much to me!

MKPlutoGuy
10-09-2002, 06:14 AM
I'd have to say 2 1/2 days is too short also. In February of 2000, we had a late night flight on Sunday, did Magic Kingdom Monday, a break Tuesday, MGM/Epcot Wednesday and Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom Thursday, and had an early morning flight home Friday.

That was way too short..Everything was so jam-packed together, you never really get the feeling you're supposed to get when you go to Disney.

The "I can't believe we're in Disney World!" feeling doesn't hit you until you're checking out of the resort. :(

Go with the 4 1/2 days--it'll be much more fun for everyone. smile.gif

Nana
10-09-2002, 06:57 AM
As you can see from the replies, this is a tough decision. There are pros and cons. As for Bradley's car sickness, Brad has major tummy and asthma problems. He had very major tummy surgery when he was 21 months old and because of it he can not throw up. He also has to take special medication. If he ever gets real sick to his tummy, he has to be in the hospital because he could die if we are not careful. Because of this, we really have to take 2 days. We would love to fly but with Christmas coming up, $600.00 is a little steep. The kids really want to go to Disney and I already have the tickets and the room. I think we are going to go down on Friday as soon as school is out and arrive Sat before lunch. We will have most of Sat, all day Sun, all day Mon, and then spend Tuesday at the park leaving after it closes and driving 1/2 way and getting home Wed. This will give us almost 4 full days. We can at least hit our hot spots plus since we are staying at the BCV, we want to check out Stormalong Bay (if it is warm enough). Think almost 4 days would be ok?

Roland
10-09-2002, 07:20 AM
My wife stayed with me for just 3 nights in May and we probably spent more time figuring out for her to get the most enjoyment than what is was worth. I've stayed as little as 4 nights and was able to do the highlights but that was about it. Now remember, I was alone so I could zip along.

Emily
10-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Well Becky, my circumstances are obviously very different (I am usually alone!), but I am going to go against the majority here and say I think 4 days would be fun! I've spent as little as about 2 days, not even that really. I drove down one day, went to an Intercot meet the next day, and drove back the next! Something like that... Anyway, the way I see it, there is absolutely no reason to rush to "fit it all in" as some people have mentioned. You're DVC members and you know you have dozens and dozens of trips ahead of you to "see it all." I say hit the things you really want to see, have some great meals, try new restaurants, take it easy. 4 days is plenty, IMHO, to have a great time. Any time at Disney is a great time! graemlins/mickey.gif

Try not to feel rushed, there is no reason to, really. Take your time driving down with Bradley. I say GO and have a fantastic time!! :D

MNNHFLTX
10-09-2002, 12:33 PM
Emily took the words right out of my mouth, Becky! If you look at the main things that you really want to do and not try to do it all, I'm sure you'll find the time to do them and to relax a little at the resort too! It's hard sometimes to get out of that "do it all" mode, since WDW for many people used to be (and still is in a lot of cases) a once (or twice)-in-a-lifetime trip. However, if you think you'll be going down more frequently in the future I would go ahead and drive down and just focus on the things you really want to do during this shorter trip.

We go on short trips to WDW all the time (I know, I know, it's easier for us living so close by). Day trips, overnighters or a long weekend is actually more the norm for us, as our schools down here have strict attendance policies. We try to pick different things each time to focus on and still find some R and R!

Good luck deciding, Becky! smile.gif

Jillpie
10-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Hi Becky, I think your length of days will be just fine. You don't have to do commando style anymore, since you know you'll be back in the near future, being a DVC member. So go and enjoy and please bring back every single detail of the BCV's for me, ok? (especially the slide at SAB ;) , you know it girl. :D

TheRustyScupper
10-09-2002, 02:38 PM
To answer the title question:

1) I have gone to WDW for 6-hours durig a business trip.
2) I frequently go for only 1-day when in the area.
3) It might be short, but Disney is still Disney !!!

sophielab1
10-09-2002, 07:06 PM
I personally think any amount of time no matter how short is better than not being able to go at all. I have done long trips and very short(2 days) trips. But the one thing I always do is have fun. I'm going for one day next week, just to get my disney "fix".

Missouri Bell
10-10-2002, 02:02 AM
Go to WDW have a great time.
Schedule breaks and see what you want to see.
What you don't get to see this time you will another!
Now stop being worried and start working on that packing list! Even for a few days you have to pack a lot! :D

Jared
10-10-2002, 07:18 AM
I think you're definitely doing the right thing Becky. You have to do what's best for Bradley. No, it's the longest trip you'll ever be on, but you'll still have a truly magical time. Have a great time on your trip! smile.gif

TiggerRPh
10-10-2002, 10:20 AM
When DW and I went last December, we were ther 4 days....it was adequate but a bit rushed for us. For me a minimum stay would be ideally 5 days but would take 4 if it was the only way I could go.

PuCarter
10-10-2002, 02:22 PM
Becky,

Definitely go! As a child I lived two and a half hours away from Disneyland. We would go maybe once or twice a year, and only once did we spend the night there and go to the park twice in two days. I absolutely cherished those one-day trips to the (real) Magic Kingdom! The kids will be ecstatic with whatever amount of time they have. And even though it's only a couple of days, I've read over and over about people who feel they wouldn't see everything in 30 days! Enjoy the time you've got while you've got it!!!!

Here's some pixie dust wishing you a safe (and uneventful) journey and lots and lots of fun in a short amount of time.

TheInventor'sDaughter
10-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Wow! You are staying at BCV? I'm jealous!!!

We had a terrific 2 night trip in March 2001 (you may remember our trip report)!

We arrived in mid-afternoon ... rode ponies and did petting farm at FW, rode boat to WL for dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe, hunted for hidden
Mickeys, watched the geyser, played on WL beach, took a late swim at our resort pool, went to Chef Mickey's and MK on day 2 with those wonderful fireworks and the EWP, rode water mice on day 3 and spent time at DD. We did so much, yet we only visited 1 park for 1 day.

It was the most relaxing trip I've ever taken, and my kids loved it!!

Just adjust your expectations to your timeframe and you will have a great time. The reason people get so tired is that they try to do everything in a short amount of time -- DON'T do everything!! Save it for another short trip some other day. Do the things that you have TIME to do -- and make time for relaxing things like pony rides and hanging out at DD or the pool. Our family has discovered that many of the most prescious memories are made while enjoying Disney outside the parks. Relax!

You will have a great time!!!

smile.gif - V

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
10-16-2002, 01:47 PM
We stopped in orlando for two days on are way to the keys and had a great time!!!!Yeah its not an 8 day vacation but it disney world the happiest place on earth.

šoš alyssa šoš

DisneyWizard
10-16-2002, 02:14 PM
I am the king of short trips. :D

I would say go - in the end it will be a breath of fresh air, and just because it isn't 9 days long doesn't mean it doesn't constitute as a Disney vacation.

OK yeah you'll have to prioritize, but that can be fun if you want it to be.

2 1/2 days is more than enough time to forget your troubles for a little while. ;)

Tiggerish
10-18-2002, 12:54 PM
I have gone for as short as 2 1/2 days.

During our week-long trip in May 2000 with my husband's family joining us, I really enjoyed the Millenium Celebration. I was truly moved by Illumniations: Reflections of Earth and wanted to share it with my mom, so I was lucky to find a cheap airfare, got us a couple of tickets and we flew down on a Wednesday--supposed to have been a 1 pm flight, but there were delays and equipment trouble and it was well after 3pm when we took off, so we effectively lost a half-day, and we were flying back on Saturday morning. It was September and dark and raining by the time we reached the BWV to check in, but we grabbed our ponchos and started off to Epcot. We saw ToN and RoE, shopped the BW afterwards, next day went to MK--long story short, we realized on the plane coming home that we felt like we had "seen it all" but did not feel like we had rushed.

Admittedly, it will be different with children in tow, but I think as long as you have an idea of what you really want to see/experience and stick to that while leaving yourself a little time to sit on a bench and have an ice cream cone, you will feel that you did fine. Plus, as someone else mentioned, the beauty of being a DVC member is that you never have to feel like you have to see it all "now", as you know you'll be back soon!

spiceypj
10-18-2002, 01:42 PM
I go for 3 days a lot - so you can do it. My next trip is for 3 days in October - just have fun and don't worry about trying to do everything.

Enjoy your time with your family - those are the WDW memories you will kept.