Which is easier...

Taking the Bus?

OR

Driving and Parking?

Just wondering...

------------------

indymom
06-28-2001, 04:55 PM
We've always found it easier to take the bus, but lately I've been reading some bad reports on the bus system. We've always had luck with the busses and have only used our car to go to water parks and Downtown Disney.

------------------
74-offsite
76-Poly
80-Poly
83-Poly
90-GF
93-CBR
96-offsite
99-offsite
99/00-SOG
next up-02-FW Cabin
I'll always remember the Magic!!!!!!

DisneyWizard
06-28-2001, 05:48 PM
I have tried both, and I like using the busses better. I too have had some good experiences with the system, and haven't had a problem yet. It's very convenient, and for me to rent a car is a waste of money.

------------------
"...I say believe in the future. The world is getting better."
-Walt Disney

In the works:
X Cedar Point OH 2001 (did it!)
-Worlds of Adventure 2001
-Islands of Adventure 2001
-Walt Disney World 2001
-DisneyLand 2002

Click here to vote for Intercot as the #1 Disney Site! (http://pub25.bravenet.com/vote/vote.asp?usernum=2106291801)

gregf71
06-28-2001, 06:17 PM
If you are staying on the property, then the buses are the way to go. If you are staying off site, then I say a car is better.

My first WDW visit years ago, my family stayed off site and we were very restricted by the hotels shuttle schedule.

For all of my other visits, we stayed on the property and utilized the buses, monorails, and boats to get us where we needed to go. They were very convenient and get you right where you need to go. The only time we ever rode in anything that was not part of the Disney Transportation fleet was when we shuttled to and from the airport.

------------------
WDW - 1993 (Off site), 1996 (All-Star Sports), 1998 (Wilderness Lodge), and 2000 (Wilderness Lodge)

Next trip - Honeymoon, October 2001 (Beach Club and the Disney Wonder)

Roland
06-28-2001, 06:21 PM
Busses definitely! Especially when you stay at a resort that might have the monorail or a boat, it makes getting around easier, less stressful. Even if the busses weren't running as smoothly as before and I've experienced this, I personally do not get much of a vacation if I have to drive at all. When the feet are tired, the skin is hot, the patience is low, leave the driving to the wonderful bus drivers at Disney. Remember, they aren't too happy about this Bus-on-demand stuff either. It wasn't their idea.

------------------
'92 - August, Disneyland
'96 - April, Wilderness Lodge
'97 - October, offsite
'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings
'99 - Sept., Wilderness Lodge
'00 - Sept., Wilderness Lodge
'00 - Oct., All Sports
'01 - Jan., All Sports
'01 - May Wilderness Lodge
'01 - July All-Sports
'01 - Sept. All-Sports/Wilderness Lodge

fab5
06-28-2001, 07:44 PM
If you are staying on a site that only has busses you can drive your car to one of the other resorts and park.. tell them you are checking in or just going to look at the resort. Then take the monorail or one of the boats, that is what my parents do when they go. I dont ever have a car so i take all the proporty transportation.

------------------
REMEMBER IT ALL STARTED WITH A MOUSE.......

CoolTimW
06-28-2001, 08:19 PM
Please!! Do yourself a favor and rent a car. Your time a WDW is too precious to be waiting long for busses.

------------------
'84 contemp
'87 poly
'88 poly
'90 cbr
'01 PO FQ

If you can dream it, you can do it!

Noelley
06-28-2001, 09:00 PM
I know I heard lots of bus problem reports from various posts and we ALMOST drove to the TTC on our first day...but we tried it, (from the ASMusic) and five minutes after we waited a bus pulled up. It wasn't overcrowded and we got to the magic kingdom ten minutes later. That night right AFTER the park closed we got on the second bus, which arrived only ten minutes after we got to the stop. there were standers but only a few. we experienced the same thing for our five days at the parks--only about a five-ten minute wait for each bus. we were there june 14-18 so this is fairly recent. I recommend using the buses. It's also a really cool way to meet people! We had this lovely family from Maine sort of "follow" us (or us following them) to the various parks and saw them all the time. We became friends by the end of our vacations. try the buses. it saves the hassle of driving and remembering where you parked!

------------------
"Tell us where the talking Llama is and we'll burn your house to the ground!

Don't you mean 'or'?

Right, tell us where the talking llama is OR we'll burn your house to the ground.

Well which is it? That seems like a pretty crucial conjunction!"--Emperors New Groove
BOO-YA!

nygiants56
06-28-2001, 09:06 PM
Of course there is both pros and cons of taking a bus or a car. Personally I like renting a car because you dont have to wait around for the bus!

------------------
DISNEY IS TIGHT!
years went to disney-
1994-carribean
1995-carribean
1996-dixie landings
1997-dixie landings
1999-Polynesian(best resort ever)
2000-Polynesian
next trip:
july 7-14, 2001- POLY

Mouse Mortimer
06-29-2001, 08:29 AM
Bus!
It's convenient, free and you can go to whenever you want without worrying about driving (that's what my father likes about it...).

------------------

Jasper
06-29-2001, 08:38 AM
While I too am a fan of the buses, you have to be sure not to set your expectations too high. While I am not saying that the bus service is perfect and couldn't use improvement, overall I would rate it as very good.

I have though, heard people in line and on the boards who thought the buses should operate like their own private limo service. Keep in mind, it is mass transportation. That means it sometimes takes a little longer than you may want or doesn't drop or pick you up right at your front door, etc.

If you keep your expectations reasonable, you should do just fine with the buses. If, however, you want total flexibility in location and times, then the car is a better choice.

------------------

d1zneywrldfan
06-29-2001, 08:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DisneyWizard:
I have tried both, and I like using the busses better. I too have had some good experiences with the system, and haven't had a problem yet. It's very convenient, and for me to rent a car is a waste of money.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm driving down there so I won't need to rent...but I see that most agree on the bus route....

------------------

CoolTimW
06-29-2001, 08:57 AM
Renting a car is not a waste of money. The limited time you have a WDW is not worth the time waiting for the bus; especially if it's late. I've experienced the bus problems first hand. I can understand if you don't have extra money to spend on a rental car. You should go to WDW even if you don't have a rental car. Though, you should definately consider renting one.

------------------
'84 contemp
'87 poly
'88 poly
'90 cbr
'01 PO FQ

If you can dream it, you can do it!

Rhetoric2000
06-29-2001, 09:01 AM
Buses can be a lot of fun, especially if you get the right driver. We have had some good social banter with folks coming back in the evenings especially on crowded buses. I guess its a different experience if you have tired children with you. I must admit I don't like waiting for them in the day time.

------------------

Toughbug
06-29-2001, 10:17 AM
Our family loves the buses and all the transportation choices at WDW. Our first two trips we flew and used the transportation system extensively and was very satisfied. Of course, for two young kids, riding the bus was a treat. We never had over a 10 minute wait and I don't think that we ever had to stand. And we stayed at the ASMU and the ASSP resorts.

Our last trip we had driven to WDW and stayed at the CBR. Even with our minivan there, we still relied on the buses and other transportation options. Except when we were on a tight deadline with a dinner reservation at MGM and were still at our hotel when we took our van, we never had more that a ten minute wait and never stood.

And I personally think that driving is not a vacation. I drive a bit at work and don't like to when I am on vacation. The buses and other options are a great break.

And don't forget to take the monorail and ask to sit in the front car with the driver. It is a fun ride.

------------------

Ian
06-29-2001, 10:25 AM
I guess it depends on what type of Disney vacation you go for.

I personally am always on the go and waiting for those busses is just a waste of time in my eyes. Last time I used one I had to wait over 1/2 hour for one to show up and then it took the most roundabout way to get where we were going our total travel time from AKL to PI was about an hour and a half.

I could have driven it in like 10 minutes.

I always rent a car when I go. It's just faster and a heck of a lot more convenient.

------------------
Ian: aka WDWacky, aka Iam, aka The Fish Phobe
Intercot (http://www.intercot.com) Moderator - Collectables and Mousellaneous
[email protected]

Hi ... I'm WDWacky, a reformed pinaholic and leader of the Let's Plan the 2002 Odyssey Now movement.

NO BAD DANCING!!!!

For more great Disney info be sure to visit our sister sites Webdisney (http://www.webdisney.com)

And for more info on the park that started it all visit Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com)

And for all your Disney travel needs be sure to book through Kingdom Magic Travel (http://www.kingdommagictravel.com) !!

IHD983
06-29-2001, 10:39 AM
I'd go bus. It's all clock-work down there, however if you wish to go off property your going to need a car.

------------------
Lisa: "Dad do you have any fruit?"
Homer: "This donut has purple stuff in it, purple is a fruit."

Patricia
06-29-2001, 11:24 AM
I'm going to move this over to Vacation Planning..

------------------
Patricia
(alias: Patriciafallsalot)
[email protected]
Intercot Staff (http://www.intercot.com) and <A HREF="http://www.intercotwest.com" TARGET=_blank>Intercotwest
Staff</A>

Remember... No Bad Dancing!

Visit all of our family sites:

Intercot: (http://www.Intercot.com) Walt Disney World Inside & Out
Intercotwest: (http://www.Intercotwest.com) Disneyland Inside & Out
Webdisney: (http://www.webdisney.com) The Definitive Guide To Disney On The Internet
Intercot Radio: (http://www.intercot.com/radio/default.asp) Featuring the sounds of the Disney Theme Parks!

jlmmlm
07-01-2001, 06:21 PM
September will be the first time I will have flown to WDW. Will be there one week. I have always drove and had a car at my disposal. After some quick pricing of using Mears, to go to and from the Airport to, charging $25..per adult,$15.oo per child, Totaling $80.00 round trip. Then pricing rental cars starting at $100.00 +, for me, I think it will be better to have a car at my disposal, again. After I get there, I'll give the busses a try and see how good or bad it is, for myself. I think it will be worth spending an extra $30.00 for a car, just for piece of mind. Any thoughts???

------------------

[This message has been edited by jlmmlm (edited July 01, 2001).]

Disneycrazed
07-01-2001, 06:30 PM
Time is money and car rental is money.
I had too many bad experiences with the buses.
I will rent a car every time. You control your time when you rent a car.
http://www.intercot.com/boards/grazy.gif

------------------

wdwnutze
07-01-2001, 07:47 PM
Although I have used the bus system and not had a problem, I always rent a car. We even rented one when we stayed at the Poly. We didn't use it alot but used it to go to AK MGM and DTD. I find the car most helpful when traveling with young kids. I think it is an individual decision. Some people like to leave the driving to someone else and some prefer to do their own driving.

------------------

BarBelle
07-01-2001, 11:14 PM
We're driving down because we wanted the flexibility of having a car at our disposal.

BUT, since we're staying on-site and this is our first time there, we're going to give the WDW transportation a try. If we feel as if it's too inconvenient, we'll stop using it.

AND FYI, this is something the lady told us on the phone when we made our PS for the character breakfast at Cindy's table; she made our PS for 8:20 because the buses started running at 7:00 am and we should allow an HOUR'S travel time from our resort (the CBR).

I personally thought an hour was a bit long for such a short trip, even if it is the first thing in the morning.

BarBelle
I do anything I want with my time...except make it stand still.

------------------

CuteAsMinnie
07-02-2001, 08:30 AM
One of the many things we love about Disney is being able to park your car and not touch it until it is time to get home. We always take full advantage of this and have never had a problem.

------------------

vallerii
07-02-2001, 07:36 PM
Do BOTH! Each has their pros/cons--you just have to know which way to go when.

Taking the bus saves long walks into the parks. EX: MK...if you drive you have to take the monorail or ferry over, which takes a lot longer than the busses pulling right up front. And traffic there can be terrible when parks close, much worse than long lines to get on busses.

However, a car has come in handy in situations. If you want to go from one resort to another it can take forever with the buses because you often have to transfer at least once or even more

TIP: Drive to boardwalk or swan/dolphin to go to EPCOT in the eve....after EPCOT closes, avoid the crowds by taking a leisurely stroll along the boardwalk.

Just ask around and find out what the crowd patterns/bussing schedules are like and you'll figure out when it's best to drive/ride

------------------
Going on 25+ visits
1980-1999
Villas, Contemporary, The Dolphin, Carribbean Beach, All Star Sports, ALM, Dixie Landings
2000 All Star Movies
2000 Dixie Landings
2001 Disney Institute Villas
2001 Riverside