PDA

View Full Version : Lightning

DaveNDeb
06-29-2001, 04:43 PM
Is lightning common in Orlando? How often are the rides shut down due to lightning?

------------------
Deb & Dave

Disneyland - 1/00, 2/00, 4/00, & 10/00

Disney World - Planned Trip 7/24 - 8/1/2001

"Rock-n-Roller Coaster, here I come!" --Deb (The lover of all that is Aerosmith)

beth
06-29-2001, 09:12 PM
Ok, we usually go for about 5 days in September, have also gone for 7 in October, 3 in December and 4 in May. Never had a lightening problem.

------------------
beth
[email protected]
Intercot Staff Member

"Love and Mercy that's what you need tonight. So Love and Mercy to you and your friends tonight."

For more fun on all things Disney, check out our sister site, www.webdisney.com (http://www.webdisney.com)

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com (http://www.intercotwest.com)

EvaBryan
06-29-2001, 10:06 PM
On my last trip there was lightning every night. And I am not even exaggerating - I have never seen it so much at WDW.

However, we were largely unaffected by the lightning. Splash Mountain shut down the first time we tried to ride it (lightning was accompanied by rain) and Tinkerbell NEVER flew before Fantasy in the Sky. Test Track was also closed temporarily due to lightning. Astro Orbiter also closed, although we never ride that anyway.

If you travel during the non-hot-and-humid months you should be ok (late May through August).

------------------

G
06-30-2001, 01:33 PM
We were on the boats to Epcot on this last trip and they docked and would not continue till the lightening slowed down. The captain said that policy was if there was more than 2 strikes in 3 seconds they had to dock. When we were at Magic Kingdom they closed down the Jungle Cruise due to lightening. Of course all of this involved water. The other rides were still going I think. I was huddled under a little umbrella.

------------------

I AM GOING BACK!!!!!

(Gail)

Duckasaurus2001
06-30-2001, 06:00 PM
I thought you were supposed to not stay under an umbrella during a lighting storm? (But I might be mistaken)
Duck

------------------

Duckasaurus2001
06-30-2001, 06:01 PM
Look, I got my first star!!!

------------------

SteveL
06-30-2001, 08:26 PM
There is a lot of lightning in Florida at this time of year. Disney is usually right on top of things with radar and knowing just when and where the storms are approaching. Sometimes the water parks are open during rain and thunder, but in these instances it is when the storm is actually further away than it sounds.

------------------
SteveL
Intercot Staff Member
[email protected]

Personal hero: Jethro Bodine

G
07-02-2001, 01:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duckasaurus2001:
I thought you were supposed to not stay under an umbrella during a lighting storm? (But I might be mistaken)
Duck

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but the trees were all around and I was to chicken and dry to run for it. Plus the bench next to us had an umbrella over it higher than us, and hopefully the lightening knows that it is suppose to hit the taller object http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
I AM GOING BACK IN DEC AND I FINALLY GET TO STAY AT THE POLY!!!!!

(Gail)

DisneyWizard
07-02-2001, 03:38 PM
The policy on most roller coasters is that if lightning has been reported withing 5 miles of the ride, it will be shut down until the 'all clear'. Other than that, it should be fine to go!

------------------
"...I say believe in the future. The world is getting better."
-Walt Disney

In the works:
X Cedar Point OH 2001 (did it!)
-Worlds of Adventure 2001
-Islands of Adventure 2001
-Walt Disney World 2001
-DisneyLand 2002

Click here to vote for Intercot as the #1 Disney Site! (http://pub25.bravenet.com/vote/vote.asp?usernum=2106291801)

MNNHFLTX
07-02-2001, 03:52 PM
FL is the "Lightning Capital of the World", or so they say. Most of the storms that bring the lightning come in the late afternoon, early evening, so there is always a chance that it could cause certain attractions to close down temporarily during those times.

------------------
Beth--
"attitude is a little thing that means alot"

Guinness
07-02-2001, 06:40 PM
When I was there last in July, we tried three times to swim at the resort, but were turned away each time, as lightning was on the way. Just bad timing I guess.

------------------
-- End of line