PDA

View Full Version : Games for the Car

smcd
06-29-2001, 09:15 AM
We are planning on driving to Disney for the next trip - 18 hours! We have a 9 year and a 6 year old - both boys (and a 20 year old - but she just sleeps!). Any expert travlers with kids out there? Ideas for keeping kids occupied?
(we have a TV/VCR for the car...)

------------------
Oct '94 - Wilderness Lodge
Feb '96 - Port Orleans
Nov '96 - All Star Music/Offsite
Oct '97 - Caribbean
Aug '98 - Off Site
Feb '99 - All Star Movies
Oct '00 - Poly/BC
Sep '01 - PO/Riverside

Doc Marc
06-29-2001, 11:23 AM
One thing that works for our family is the license plate game. Try to locate all 50 states! The rules are that you can use any cars that are on the road or even parked at rest stops and gas stations. No 18 wheelers though!

The kids are so intent on finding all 50 states that not much else matters.

That should take care orf a few hourse anyway.

Another game, in disney tradition, is to take polls. "Which ride is your favorite," "If you could have any attraction in your backyard, which would it be?" etc.

I'm not real into the TV\Vcr thing. Maybe I'm a vacation purist.

Have a great time together.

Doc Marc

------------------

Sander
06-29-2001, 01:09 PM
I agree with Marc on the license plate game. That was what I was going to suggest before I read his post. Except in my famliy you can use 18 wheelers. =) This can easily be done with a piece of paper and pen, but I found a small fold out reusable sticker kit. I had my 9 year old bother in the car last weekend for 1.5 and he immediately put down his game boy (a hard feat, believe me) when I pointed to show him it in my passanger door. What else was neat was that on the gameboard the states are in abbreviation so he was figuring out what the state abbreviations were.

------------------

mikki.young
06-29-2001, 01:38 PM
Another game that can pass the time is a variation on I-spy - one person thinks of an attraction / hotel something at WDW and everyone else tries to guess what it is by asking questions the person can only say Yes / No to.

Can be fun trying to name Disney characters - either alphabetically or first / last letter. My husband is getting too good at that one tho, he has written down a long list from the books of the films!

------------------
Mikki Young
Intercot staff - DVC and trip reports
[email protected]

WDW 19 Trips since 1987
DLP 11 trips since 1992 including opening day
Disneyland California 1 trip
Tokyo Disneyland - not yet!