PDA

View Full Version : Titanic Museum

Jinnyboom
06-12-2001, 08:26 PM
How close??...and how would one get there from WL??
Not taking a car on the next trip...any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance...........

------------------

dpamac
06-12-2001, 11:21 PM
I'm going to move this over to Vacation Planning. I'm sure someone over there has visited before . . . I, unfortunately do not have any experience with this museum. Good luck!

------------------
Gary(aka dpamac)
Paranoid Android
[email protected]
Vice President, INTERCOT Operations

Visit Our Intercot Family Sites. All Disney, all the time:

Webdisney (http://www.webdisney.com): More Disney than you can shake a stick at.
Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com): Disneyland Inside & Out

Nothing comes between me and my Intercot shirt (http://www.intercot.com/store/apparel/default.asp)!

Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

SteveL
06-13-2001, 02:51 PM
We have never been there but it sounds like something I would like to see. We are leaving in 7 days, if I get any info on this I'll be sure to post it on my return.

------------------
SteveL
Intercot Staff Member
[email protected]

Personal hero: Jethro Bodine

Altair
06-13-2001, 07:23 PM
The Florida International Museum has or has had a Titanic exhibit. It is located in St.Petersberg. Go to www.floridamusuem.org (http://www.floridamuseum.org) or call 1-800-777-9882.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 13, 2001).]

guidy
06-14-2001, 12:19 AM
Hi. I visited the Titanic exhibit located at 8445 International Drive inside the Mercado Mediterranean Village last year while in Orlando.

I truly reccommend it for anyone that is interested in the history of the Titanic and want to learn especially little known facts about this ship and its' many passengers.

The museum is awesome and about 15-20 minutes at the most away from the WDW resort area. So, If you don't have access to a car I'm sure you could get a taxi and go over.

When we toured they had all kinds of different artifacts set up that were representative of the ship, a duplicate of the grand wooden ballroom staircase with the immense crystal chandelier in the middle of the ceiling that was strikingly similar to the one in the popular Titanic movie, and even had a portion which simulated the deck of the ship at nighttime.

Also, there was a replica of an iceberg that people could touch to get a feel of the exact coldness of the outside temperatures that actual passengers had to endure. There were several tour guides dressed in costumes reminiscent of the particular time period who lead guests on this walking tour and they even spoke in accent when telling the story of the Titanic.

I was impressed and look forward to stopping by again next vacation. Also, they had a gift shop that featured a wide selection of neat items as souvenirs from jewelry to postcards (and everything in between).

Their website is www.TitanicShipofDreams.com (http://www.TitanicShipofDreams.com) if you would like more information; hope you enjoy!

------------------

Jinnyboom
06-14-2001, 09:40 PM
Guidy!!!!!!!!!
Thank you ever so much for your reply....YOU have convinced me to make this a part of our next visit!!!
I have been obsessed with TITANIC since I was a little child......your input will give me the opportunity to explore this great ship..in a way that I never dreamt possible...
Thanks again....your info is extremely appreciated!!!

------------------

momto3
06-14-2001, 11:58 PM
We have been to the Titanic Museum. I can't really tell you how to get there, but I can say I was a little disappointed. I am a HUGE fan of ANYTHING Titanic. I have been extremely fascinated my whole life also. (My husband says obsessed is more like it.) I have dozens of books and own the movie. (I lost count of how many times I have seen it.) Anyway, I was soooo excited when I read about this museum in our local paper. It wasn't opened to the public yet, but I called the number for information and they sent me a big pack of stuff about the museum. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice museum. I think I just worked myself up TOO much. I thought I would feel like I was actually ON the Titanic. (Pretty silly huh?) You aren't allowed to actually go on the "grand staircase", but you can view it from behind a rope. Same thing with the replica of the stateroom. Another disappointment, you cannot take pictures. (I wanted a picture of me on the staircase.) Anyway, like I said, I think I just expected too much, and that's why I was disappointed. If I would have known ahead of time all of this, I think I would have LOVED this place.

------------------

Niamh
06-17-2001, 05:00 PM
I have to agree with momto3. It was very short and seemed a little unorganized. Some of the artifacts are from the actual ship and some borrowed from the movie studio from the Titanic set. The staircase was beautiful although you couldn't go on it. I was really disappointed that we couldnt take any pictures, though we were very tempted. There is a little shop in the plaza that has coupons for the tour. Be sure to get one or you may be disappointed about what you get for full price.

------------------
Married Finiamh on and stayed at the Boardwalk '99,
Wilderness Lodge '00
Wilderness Lodge Dec 2001

guidy
06-17-2001, 05:38 PM
You're welcome Jinnyboom; glad I could tell you about my visit. I read some reviews about the Titanic from others on another Disney site who were there this January of 2001 and they were able to take pictures so evidently they must have changed their policies.

We were there when the museum had not been open for very long (this was last year in August of 2000) and picture taking was not allowed for us either. So, I would carry my camera when you go down and visit (just in case) since others have reported being able to take photos that visited during this year 2001.

I will take my camera next summer when I visit in the event we are allowed to do so at that time also. Hope you enjoy!

------------------

Aurora
06-19-2001, 12:32 AM
Does anyone know if the exhibit is at all similar to the Titanic exhibit that was in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago about a year ago?

One of the most amazing displays they had there, which will stick in my mind forever, was a huge wall of ice with handprints in it. You were invited to place your hand on one of the handprints and see how long you could keep it there. Usually you couldn't last more than several seconds. Then the sign nearby said that since salt water freezes at a lower temperature than fresh water, the ice you just felt was actually WARMER than the water the passengers plunged into. As I said, I'll never forget it.

------------------
Wake me when we're at the airport.

Finiamh
06-19-2001, 10:30 AM
I dont know if it is the same exhibit, but it does have a big chunk of ice you can touch.

------------------
-- Thanks for noticing me
Eeyore

Cosmic Ray's rules!!!

I believe it was Dopey who once said: " "

[This message has been edited by Finiamh (edited June 19, 2001).]