PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers and infants on rides....

Laurabearz
11-13-2001, 04:12 PM
Hello everyone! I have been reading like a mad woman graemlins/crazy.gif ever since my hubby said we could go to WDW! We have two little girls 2 1/2 and 14 months old (at the time of your trip in Jan 2002) And I really have no fear about taking them. We are also taking two of our best freinds to help! :D
ANywho... I just have one question about the baby... on the rides.... if she is willing.... what rides can she sit on my lap for... Is there anything off limits (not talking about the rides with height requirements... more like WTP, PP, SW, tea cups etc) Or must she sit next to me on the rides.... It has been many years since I was at WDW (1993 to be exact) and I cant remember how well a littleone would fit. I need to know this... I dont know why... maybe coz I have most of the trip planning done and I can see it all in my head.... except where the 14 month old will be sitting on the rides LOL
Thanks so much
Laura, (Who is sooooo excited about taking the first of many trips to WDW as a mom graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

[ September 06, 2002, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Beast_fanatic ]

Nana
11-13-2001, 08:32 PM
Welcome to Intercot. Hope you stay around a long time! As for taking small children, I have been taking children since my kids were little (they are now 27 and 25). Now I am taking grandkids (ages 4, 3, and 3 months). The 2 oldest have been to Disney beginning when they were a year old. I love the pics of the characters playing with the infants. They are priceless. Yes, your infant can ride in your lap for almost any ride that does not have height requirements. Offhand I can not think of any we had a problem with except maybe Astro Orbiter. Some things I have found that work great when traveling with small childen:
1) Whatever you plan to accomplish in a day, cut that by 1/4. There is always something unexpected such as a butterfly that needs inspecting or perhaps just staring at the castle. Then there is always the checking out of ALL the restrooms and the endless desire of wanting popcorn each time you pass the popcorn vendors. Plan on these diversions in advance and it will be fine
2) Do not get upset or worry if things do not work out the way you planned. Some of my best memories were of things that were not planned-they just happened
3) Buy lots of film and then go back and buy some more. Film is expensive at Disney but it is the best souvenir you can have. You can never buy those first trip pics later. You can always buy a hat later
4) Do at least one character meal. It is a great way to interact with the characters without a line of people. Check out which characters are at which restaurants and decide the ones that work best for your child
5) Take an extra change of clothes even for the child that is potty trained. Sometimes, they play in the water (it was an accident I promise) or they spill their drink, etc
6) If the park is open late, go early, go back to the hotel, nap and go back
7) Try to stay on property and if possible stay at a monorail hotel or a hotel in the Epcot/MGM area
8) Know in advance that you will be hearing "it's a small world in your head over and over. Also, know that you will wait in line for 30 minutes for 2 minutes on Dumbo. Know that the 2 minute ride will be one of your child's favorite rides and they will want to stand in line another 30 minutes for the 2 minute ride.
9) Enjoy every second of the trip-It will be priceless memories for you and
10) My grandson still remembers parts of his first trip to Disney when he was 13 months old and he will be 5 in Feb.
Have a great time, stay relaxed, and enjoy!!!!

Oh yeah one last thing-If you do not make it back to the room for naps, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority is a great place to nap. You just ride around and around until they wake up. smile.gif

Laurabearz
11-13-2001, 08:56 PM
Becky.... thanks so much for your tips. I have been very good at not really planning anything other than 3 (maybe 4) CM. I know the pace will be much slower and I only really want to hit TOT (It opened just weeks after my 1993 visit.) ANything above and beyond that is icing.
We are staying at OKW in a 2 bd suite. I used a code and did very very good on the price <grin> Not the best location but we plan on driving each day to the parks.....If figure it would be easier to take tired kiddies back for a nap in the van as appose to DTS. I am soooo excited!
Tomorrow is my first attempt (of 4) to attain Cindy's breakfast. Wish me luck I have to get up way to early (545am) to make the call graemlins/sleepin.gif
Thanks again..... Laura

Noah's Helper
11-13-2001, 10:35 PM
I tried to keep our 17-month-old in my lap for the Tomorrowland Speedway, but we were told to sit side-by-side instead. (I think he would have been safer in my lap -- he kept trying to stand up in the seat. graemlins/shakehead.gif )

I did keep him in my lap for Buzz Lightyear. (One of the special effects frightened him a little, so I covered his eyes for a bit.)

Other rides that he rode (always by our side, although he may have been allowed in our lap):

Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, IASW, Dumbo, Teacups (we didn't spin fast), carousel, AK safari, El Rio del Tiempo, MK and AK trains

Have fun! graemlins/mickey.gif

Nana
11-14-2001, 07:07 AM
Old Key West is great with the kids. There are birds and ducks and rabbits that the kids love to feed and watch. It is very peaceful and relaxing to come back to. I also thought of a few more things:
1) Some of the rides can be scary. Snow White is kinda scary. My grandson at 2 and 3 loved Pirates of the Caribbean but at 4 was scared of it because there is a part that is in the dark and the boat drops just a little
2) Some kids are scared of the characters. Just let them get used to them in their own time
3) Be sure to buy an autograph book and a big fat pen. Or a white hat is good for the characters to sign also
4) Children under 3 eat free at any buffet meal including character meals
5) My grandkids wanted souvenirs in every store we went to. We got a sticker book and in alot of stores, the Cast members give stickers free. If not, we bought small stickers. The kids were happy and we were happy
Let us know how you do with Cindy reservations. smile.gif

Laurabearz
11-14-2001, 10:17 AM
I got the CIndy's ressies graemlins/thumbsup.gif but for the wrong day (one day earlier than I wanted coz I set up my computer to notify me the day before and I did that wrong! LOL)
Sooooo I have to wake up early again tomorrow and try again!! :::::Sigh::::::
graemlins/sleepin.gif

Dopeysfriend
11-14-2001, 10:34 AM
Welcome to Intercot Laura! :D

Let us know how it goes with the Cindy reservations tomorrow! graemlins/sleepin.gif My fingers are crossed for you!

Poohsmom
11-16-2001, 03:09 PM
Just got back from a 5 day trip with my husband and 17 month old. She was able to sit on our laps for pretty much everything with no problems. We did two character meals, Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace and both were excellent! She also loved the Tapestry of Dreams parade at Epcot, we saw it twice and she was just mesmerized. The puppeteers (if that's what you call them?) always leaned down to pat her on the head or let her touch them. It was just wonderful!

I had planned on leaving the parks mid-day and having her take naps but she ended up falling asleep during a ride or show and we'd just put her in the stroller and walk around the parks taking in the sights until she woke up, usually about an hour or so, then we saw more attractions. It really worked out well for us!

Hope you have a great time!!

Pat Ryan
11-18-2001, 06:58 PM
I second the recommendation of the Tapestry parade at EPCOT, my kids (4 and 3) love it. Also they are into the Spectromagic parade (saw it last night)

Younger ones (2 and under) will be a little nervous during parts of Pooh but will love it with some reassurance.

Little Mermaid at MGM will have little ones crying (dark, loud).

TheInventor'sDaughter
11-19-2001, 07:16 PM
My little one could sit on my lap for everything I can remember. Well, except Goofy ride, but it has a height requirement. And she hated it, so I don't recommend it for little ones.

Also, they didn't let her sit on my lap in the water mice. But that's understandable -- I was driving! (I was just comforting her after she got wet, but a patrol boat said no-no!)

EtteDMS
11-23-2001, 11:56 PM
This should be a special trip. Just wanted to caution you not to make the mistake we did when my youngest son was three. We took him on Snow White first, forgetting that the Witch jumping out at you unexectedly can be too intense for little ones. He was afraid to go on any more rides until we coaxed him onto Dream Flight (no longer exists) which he loved and insisted on going on over and over again (8 times in a row, in fact). I learned the little ones prefer not to be surprised.