PDA

View Full Version : Styrafoam cooler with ice question

Butchiem1
07-30-2002, 02:15 PM
My family and I are going to WDW in about three weeks, but before we go, I have a question that I hope the people on these boards can help me with.

I decided (after reading all the posts on this subject) that I would not rent a fridge this time at WDW but instead use a styrafoam cooler. My main question is, I read somewhere that instead of putting the ice directly in the cooler, you should get Large ziplock bags, and put the ice in a bunch of them, and use them like ice packs, this way the food doesnt get soggy, and at the end of theday, when you need to replace the ice, its easier than dumping water out of the whole cooler, you can dump each bag seperatly.

Can someone please tell me if they have ever done this, and if it will work the same as putting the ice directly in the cooler?

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

Nathan

MKPlutoGuy
07-30-2002, 03:20 PM
We have put ice in ziplock bags, and then put them in a cooler, but not a styrofoam cooler. It's much easier than puting ice directly into the cooler, because when it melts the water gets everywhere. :( Definately use ziplock bags. ;)

betsyt82
07-31-2002, 07:40 AM
I use the ziplock method all the time and it works very well. I tend to lean toward the gallon size bags and they hold more. Infact I used the siplock method at the beach yesterday. smile.gif It is entirely way to hot hazy and humid in New England right now.

kangan2roos2
07-31-2002, 09:51 AM
My family just got back and we did the ziplock method. It is very hassle free! Have a great time!

Jennib
08-01-2002, 11:47 PM
These are some great ideas but I am going to move this over the Vacation Planning forum...you might get some better answers there!

drosenbe
08-02-2002, 10:27 AM
What a great idea. We just got back from WDW and used a styrofoam cooler, and everything was sopped...but cold. The only negative that I could see using the bags is that the cold water probably keeps everything colder. I am not sure about that though.

by the way have u ever thought about this...when they make styrofoam...what do they ship it in? smile.gif smile.gif

Patti
08-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Use the Zip-Loc freezer bags; they are stronger. I have used them in the past, and they work great! I use a collapsible cooler that I purchased for only $5. It folds neatly in my suitcase and can hold 24 cans.

stitchfan
08-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Actually, if you put the ice directly in the styrofoam cooler, the melt water will eventually saturate the bottom of the cooler, weaken it, and make it drool. :( Then you have a soggy mess to haul around with you. Also, as the water fills the air gaps in the foam, the cooler loses its insulating properties.

We always use freezer zip-lock bags in our coolers when we go camping. Also, this way the melt water remains clean and drinkable.

Stitchfan

MouseHead
08-06-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Butchiem1:
My family and I are going to WDW in about three weeks, but before we go, I have a question that I hope the people on these boards can help me with.

I decided (after reading all the posts on this subject) that I would not rent a fridge this time at WDW but instead use a styrafoam cooler. My main question is, I read somewhere that instead of putting the ice directly in the cooler, you should get Large ziplock bags, and put the ice in a bunch of them, and use them like ice packs, this way the food doesnt get soggy, and at the end of theday, when you need to replace the ice, its easier than dumping water out of the whole cooler, you can dump each bag seperatly.

Can someone please tell me if they have ever done this, and if it will work the same as putting the ice directly in the cooler?

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

NathanWe did this in June & it worked great.....A couple of hints......if you are driving there, freeze bottled water @ home & place that in the cooler along with the zip-lock bags of ice........Also: keep your cooler as close to the A/C unit [in your room] as possible...keeps the cooler a bit more chilled on the outside ;)