PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks in parks???

joekrocker
05-02-2002, 10:48 PM
If we all have backpacks in the parks are they a burden when you want to ride certain rides?
:confused: :confused: graemlins/mickey.gif

Vito
05-02-2002, 11:13 PM
The short answer is sometimes. There are some rides where it doesn't make a difference: Haunted Mansion, Great Movie Ride, Spaceship earth, Muppet Vision 3D, etc. They can usually be held on your lap or on the floor or bottom of your "vehicle". For some rides - Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, Splash Mt (to a lesser degree) a backpack would be in the way, and you probably wouldn't be allowed to carry it on some of these rides. Some of the rides allow you to place the bag near the exit or give it to a CM before you ride, then pick it up as you exit, but I'd be careful trying this with any expensive stuff, as you never know when it might accidentally get taken by someone else.

Really, it depends on size also. Smaller backpacks rarely get in the way - with the exceptions of the roller coasters and a couple of other "thrill" rides. Most attractions, however, have room for smaller bags such as "under the seat" storage or "nets" that you put your bag in before the action begins.

The bottom line is that I'd recommend against large, heavy, or cumbersome backpaks partly because you don't know what to do with them during some rides, but also because they get annoying to carry around all day.

SteveL
05-02-2002, 11:41 PM
We usually carry a backpack with all the necessities for 5 people. Mainly ponchos, a few snacks, a camera or two, and try to keep it light.
We have never encountered any problem with taking it on any ride.

Beast_fanatic
05-03-2002, 12:16 AM
Welcome to Intercot! graemlins/muscles.gif

We recently had a similar topic that will offer you lots of opinions (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=006627) on this subject.

Hope this helps! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

slypan22
05-03-2002, 07:30 AM
Are backpacks allowed in all the parks?

Are they verified at the entrance?

Grumpy's Daughter
05-03-2002, 11:27 AM
Backpacks are allowed, just searched upon entry. One more question for those in the "know"- we were planning on packing a simple lunch to take into the parks (can only handle convenience food so long!). I know that people have done it, but is it frowned upon? Most everyone takes in snacks, but how about a lunch? I'm not planning on taking a cooler in, just sandwiches and water in a backpack. And yes, I know that they'll get squished- it's just like at school! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Timbo
05-03-2002, 12:49 PM
You all probably already have backpacks...but if you don't...I HIGHLY recommend the "sling backpack" style. The kind that have one strap that goes across your body. DW got one from Old Navy and it is great. This last trip she carried that and I had a backpack...I am getting one like hers for the next trip. MUCH easier to deal with...especially loading and unloading at the various attractions. Most of the time she didn't even take it off, just swung it around from back to front.

Almost forgot!...hers is waterproof nylon, so no problem on the water-based rides. WE got soaked on Splash Mtn, but everything in her pack was completely dry. I've even seen some with a rubber bottom so that if you take it off and put it down, it stays clean and dry.

[ May 03, 2002, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Timbo ]

Katmegali
05-03-2002, 01:12 PM
With backpacks .. be careful of the weight. The first few days I carried a full size backpack ..dh a waist pouch and girls their little backpacks(with snacks, drinks, autograh book, hat, sunglasses). The big backpack was more trouble than it was worth. We then used the baby's backpack for her diapers, cup and wipes. Put extra changes of clothes, socks, umbrella and other little things in the bottom of the stroller (It still folded up quick with it there). Left the backpack in the room.

Little backpacks and hip packs are good, I would suggest without kids or even older ones to get a hippack. Saves on back and worrying about it. My back killed me that first day though we had hung it on the stroller part of the day.