PDA

View Full Version : Backpack or Waistpack?

first-timer at 41
05-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Hi, Everyone, We were wondering whether to get backpacks or waistpacks. Suggestions and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated. We arrive on May 17, and we cannot wait! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/party.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

disneymomw_3boys
05-05-2002, 11:36 AM
The frist time in my life that I used a waist pack was during our trip i 1995. I loved it. Although you cannot carry a water bottle in it I was able to keep the items I needed with me. If you have a backpack you will have the propesity to pack much more than you need and lug it around with you all day.

marlyn
05-05-2002, 12:06 PM
I was able to find waist packs that had a spot for a water bottle. These were wonderful. You don't have to remove them to go on a ride. Also, the water holder is a must have! You can probably find them at most sporting goods stores, or at a cycling store.

SteveO
05-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Go with the waistpack. You will be forced to carry only what you need. I have a fairly good sized one that I got at a luggage shop; hold my sunglass case, camera, keys, gum, and a couple of other misc. items. Plus, you never have to take it off to get on any of the rides. If I wore a packpack I'd fill it up with goodness knows what "Just in case" I needed it.

Disneypro
05-05-2002, 02:34 PM
I'd go with the Waist pack too. I have one from Eastpak that holds camera, video cam, wallet and keys. Everything that I need to have a gret day at the parks graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jillpie
05-05-2002, 02:40 PM
I bought my Disney world fanny pack 2 years ago and LOVE it. I found it at the resort gift shop, they're all over the place. It holds my camera, sunglasses, passes, and money. My husband carries the backpack with the video camera and snacks, misc. He doesn't mind, but I stongly recommend having hands free with a fanny pack, a great way to travel.

TwoTinyWings
05-05-2002, 03:07 PM
Well, my suggestion is neither a fanny pack nor a backpack, but I've found it to work well...just another suggestion to add to the pool. :D

Last spring I bought one of those nylon crocheted purses by The Sak, and brought it with us last June and last December for toting stuff around the parks. It's a purse, so it's naturally smallish and compact (though flexible enough that you can really stuff it full if you need to) and I never really had any trouble fitting everything inside. I think it's about 8" high by 7" wide...Anyway, I usually fit my reading glasses (in their case), sunglasses, 2-3 rolls of film, "emergency" granola bar snack, tissues, and sometimes a disposeable camera inside. To save space (and weight) I'd take my ATM card, AP, credit card, and cash out of my wallet and stick them into the inside zipper pocket of the bag. (We use bottle straps for carrying water, and DH uses the belt strap for carrying our camera, so those don't need to fit inside.) The bag I got has a zip top, but also a flap that comes over the top, and I found that to be very convenient for park entry, purchases, or anytime you're getting something out of your bag but don't want to either leave it hanging open, or have to do an unzip-zip-unzip-rezip maneuver (just flip the flap over the open bag). ;)

The bag's strap is long, so I wore it around my body crosswise, and always felt secure knowing it was right against me. It worked really well for both walking around (very lightweight) and for rides -- I remember that one rides like BTMRR and Space Mtn., I could just sort of tuck it closer to my back, and it was secure and comfy. Oh, and on Splash Mtn. and Kali River Rapids, I had no trouble with it protecting what was inside -- everything stayed dry.

A few years ago, we'd taken a backpack, but discovered that we didn't really need that much space, and that we also tended to just lock it in a locker when we got to the parks (didn't want to cart it around, etc.). We've just found that taking this little purse works rather well for us.

Of course, I ended up carrying it around all the time since I'm the female -- I tend to tease DH that I'm going to make him wear it one day... graemlins/laughing.gif

If you're curious, you can check them out in dept. stores (they tend to be on sale this time of year) or on iqvc.com (I think the bag I got last year is selling for $20-25 on there). Whatever you decide to use for toting your necessities, I hope you have a great trip!

(Sorry this is so long graemlins/blush.gif -- I hope this information helps!)

ShelbyAD
05-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know how much those waistpacks with the water holder costs?

GeorgeOfTheJungle
05-05-2002, 04:19 PM
I'd use a waistpack! The North Face (outdoor brand) has some really cool ones that have water holders and plenty of room for your camera, maps, wallet, and other things you carry around the park. They are better for your back and are easier to carry around the parks.

marlyn
05-05-2002, 05:16 PM
In response to Shelby, I bought my waist pack with the water holder for about $12 Canadian. It is a cycling one and has a mesh part to hold a water bottle and two zipper pouches for other stuff.
I bought smaller ones for the kids and just shortened the waist strap. It has a main compartment and also a separate one for water bottle. This was about $5 at The Canadian Superstore.

VAdizneefan
05-05-2002, 10:17 PM
I'm a backpack fan. While it's only my husband and I travelling to Disney, we still like to have certain things on hand while we're in the parks. (Water bottle, camera/film, ponchos, Disney guide, other odds and ends) It also makes for a good place to keep park maps and any souvenirs you buy along the way. The backpack is never loaded down by any means and it's completely out of the way while you're walking.

GrandFlo
05-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Another vote for backpack. Especially if traveling with young children. You can get an inexpensive one from stores like KMart, WalMart, or local closeout stores.

Gotta Love the TTA
05-06-2002, 09:45 AM
waist pack fan here.

You will be surprised at how few things you really need.

I do a major purge of my belongings before we leave home. In my waist pack are:
room key/admission passes
credit card
driver's license
health insurance card
comb
chapstik
tissues
camera
cash
small bottle of tylenol & TUMS
nail clippers

Park maps fit into a back pocket nicely. I am a slave to guide books before we leave, but have them pretty well memorized before we get there.

An idea that works well for me is a sunglasses strap. I need sunglasses all the time (contact lenses). But you are always taking them off when you go inside. With a strap, you don't have to hold them and run the risk of setting them down. You also don't need to use valuable pack space for them.

It really IS a matter of preference. I do not like dragging a lot of stuff around, and insist on having my hands free (the better to consume Mickey bars!).

Also, until you have experienced it, you may not believe the phenomenon of "ounces feel like pounds at the end of the day", but it is true.

I have one of those cute baby cameras that weighs 8 ounces, and by 8 PM it felt like 8 pounds.

Take both. Try both. The empty backpack will be useful for bringing home souvenirs.

Dopeysfriend
05-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Welcome to INTERCOT, first-timer at 41! We're happy you've joined us! graemlins/mickey.gif

Here's a link to a past discussion on this very subject...it might offer you some additional insight and ideas! Fanny Pack vs. Backpack Discussion (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=006627)

Happy Planning! graemlins/muscles.gif

G
05-06-2002, 10:09 AM
I have a special Disney backpack. If I could find a fanny pack that would hold sweaters(gets cold in the restaurants), cameras, lanyards, penny press books,phones, and palms, I would try it. As it stands the good old backpack works out nicely. We take turns carrying it. :D

Toughbug
05-06-2002, 10:36 AM
Definitely a waistpack fan.

Upon advice from another web site that has an unbelievable amount of practical information, they recommended a couple of different waist packs. I went with the Eagle Creek brand that has the mesh water bottle holder and a two, or is it three zippered, poach. The smaller poach is perfect for hotel room cards, passes, and other smaller items. The big poach holds camcorder batteries, extra film. guide maps, small notebook, pen, autograph books, sharpie marker, and what ever else. It is really comfortable and easy to carry around. I got this at Masseys, an outdoors type sporting goods store. But I have seen similar ones at Target and Walmart.

Now my wife also carries a small, emphasis on small, back pack that she also uses daily as a purse. She packs a few snacks and smaller clear water bottles for the kids. We got her this one at the American Tourister outlet stores.

Me personally, I would go with the waist pack. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ May 06, 2002, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Toughbug ]

Tracy
05-06-2002, 11:40 AM
We are a backpack family. I'm not sure if you're travelling with kids or not but among the snacks, cameras, water bottles etc we always pack an extra pair of clothes for the kids in the backpack. It has come in very handy because we go to Disneyworld in July and it is HOT at that time of year :eek: so we let the kids get as wet as they want and not have to worry about being wet all day....just change into the dry clothes. It really isn't that heavy and my husband and I take turns carrying it.

68 more days graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Katmegali
05-06-2002, 01:48 PM
Another for a waistpack unless you have small children.
I took a backpack the first two days and realized it was too heavey and just bulky. We did have a stroller so I stuck the extra changes of clothes, light jackets and the baby stuff under there. It was still easy to close up. The girls each also had their own little backpacks (with hat, sunglasses, autograph books, pens, snacks) and a small canteen each. Then we used the waistpack to carry the other stuff. Worked great but would had to have had a backpack if we hadn't brought our own stroller.

Grumpy's Daughter
05-07-2002, 10:46 AM
While I totally agree with the waistpack fans, having two small children, everything is in our backpack. Even the baby- OK, he's in a frame backpack, but still the same. :D In fact, when I was pregnant with him, we were thinking of our trip to Disney World and bought a heavy-duty backpack diaper bag. That means that I will be in control of everything! Of course, on the last day of our last trip, I carried DS in the frame pack and discovered that that was lighter than the backpack diaper bag! I got the heavy end of the deal! :(

Gotta Love the TTA
05-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Don't forget the lockers at the parks. We found them very useful for jackets that we knew we would need in the evening, or other stuff that we didn't want to tote.

Also, our rule was that everyone wore his fanny pack. (our kids are 8 & 14) They learned long ago that just because I am the mommie does not mean that I am a pack mule. They put snacks, autograph books, and cameras in the packs.

CJDDS
05-09-2002, 07:36 PM
If there is an Eastern Mountain Sports store near you, check them out. They have a wide variety of fanny packs (or, as we used to call them in the Army, butt packs). They are also of very good construction and come with a lifetime warranty! I have a very nice sized one which fits everything I need, plus everything my wife needs, and it also is a modular system, so I have some side pouches for a small first aid kit and camera supplies. I am pretty outdoorsy, and have used it extensively on day hikes. It still looks like new after about 5 years.

graemlins/mickey.gif

disneyfan7777
05-09-2002, 08:08 PM
definatley a waist pack. Its so convieneint. Everyone laughed at me when i brought one with me but once we got there and i started to use it they all complimented on what a good idea it was smile.gif

marisa39
05-13-2002, 05:50 PM
Neither waist pack or backpack. Do a backpack-purse!! They are not as big as backpacks, so you won't be tempted to take stuff you don't need, but you can find one that is not too small either. They have little sporty-type ones. Plus, they are comforttable to carry, they are just like little backpacks. And they're stylish, too!!!