PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go it alone?

Erlesgirl
02-21-2002, 07:12 PM
I'm going alone in April (gladly) has anyone else done this and what was the highlight of your trip? Also, any other suggestions on eating out would be appreciated. thanks again to everyone graemlins/mickey.gif

Beast_fanatic
02-21-2002, 09:30 PM
I haven't really traveled to WDW on my own, but I did spend a day by myself at Epcot and had a great time.

I'd suggest you do a search on the Trip Reports forum to see if you can find some reports from others that have traveled on their own. I'd try searching on solo.

Have fun! :D

disney obsessed
02-22-2002, 11:27 AM
I went alone back in 2000. It was great and I would gladly do it again. My highlight was not having to make thirtyfive potty stops in a two hour period with my three little girls. That and doing what I wanted, when I wanted. Which ride, what to eat, when......it was heaven. Oh yea, also getting up in the am was easy and quick because I only had to get myself ready. What a joy!

Regarding eating out - I ate at both sit down meals and quick stops. The staff was great because they took extra care to talk to me when they realized that I was alone. My fav was dinner at Tony's on the porch at sunset, it is a great spot to people watch.

The only time I felt lonely was at night. The parks close early in Jan. and so I was in my room by 9:00 every night. I could have gone to the bar but was not into it. I felt it was a bit too cold to swim. I should have taken a good book.

Enjoy!

cheshirecollector
02-22-2002, 11:34 AM
Most of my trips have been solo, but I can't really name any highlights other than what disney obsessed said about doing whatever you want - that's a real luxury.

One thing I enjoyed on the last trip was pin trading. You meet people, have a reason to talk, and it's a fun challenge.

Since solo is the norm for me, I usually need advice on traveling with others! graemlins/laughing.gif

NLODisney
02-22-2002, 03:30 PM
I took a solo trip to WDW a few years and had a great time. Being able to do whatever you feel like without having to make sure your whole group wants to do something is great. I was able to find good spots to watch the parades from just minutes before they started and if I felt like it I could just sit on and bench and watch everything that was going on. The whole trip was very relaxing.

TheSorcererofFantasia
02-22-2002, 09:27 PM
Two years ago I spent an additional week solo after sending the fam back home. :D I was in heaven! No one complaining that they wanted to do something different, no unnecessary stops ;) , no requests for snacks etc.

Would get up early in the morning and do whatever my heart desired. As for meals I always ate sit down meals since I don't care for 'fast' food and never eat burgers & such on vacation. Never felt unconfortable dining in fine WDW restaurants solo, they seems to go the extra mile to make you feel special. Manage to see ROE/Illuminations almost every night and after the parks closed it was Downtown Disney for shopping or back to the resort for a hot tub soak.

My last trip in Dec 01, I spent my first day & 1/2 and last day solo and truly enjoyed myself.

SteveO
02-22-2002, 10:24 PM
I begin my second solo trip TOMORROW!!!!! YIPPEE!!! My partner is a grad student, teaches, and can't take the time off. Plus, he really is not a "Disney Fan" so I go it alone (however, we did go to DisneyLand this summer as he had a convention in Anaheim and I do think he secretly had a blast.) But I digress.

I actually like going alone. You can go where you want when you want. Get up/go to bed when you want. I love that part.

As far as dining, I pretty much stick to the "counter service", food court types of places. I don't have a problem sitting alone in a restaurant but I just sort of want to eat and run.

The first time I did it alone I thought people would look at me or "pity me" or whatever and none of that happened at all. I am pretty easy going and simply struck up conversations in most every line. Have fun; I WILL!

Roland
02-22-2002, 11:02 PM
Highlights: Waking up at 6:15 and ready at the bus for 7:30, not waiting for the wife to take 1.5 hours to get ready. And she's a wash 'n wear kind of gal. No makeup, hairdo or anything, but boy, can she burn the clock.

Eating whenever I want, going to the bathroom every two days not every two hours, not shopping at everything that has a barcode on it, being able to go ALL day without a break, enjoying the lesser visited attractions like the Japanese baseball museum, the figures at Mexico, riding Spaceship Earth three times in one day, visiting the Land and the Sea twice, riding Splash Mountain on e-ride nights six times in a row.

Jennib
02-23-2002, 01:27 AM
I was semi-solo last Feb. (My mother was attending confrences all day) I loved it. I was able to do what I wanted. Either going on Space Mountain 10 times or sitting on a bench and people watching. I was able to see somethings that I always pass right by such as the Exposition Hall or the Hall of Presidents. I usally don't want to waste my time but I actually was glad I got to so these.
The meals for me were not a problem since I would eat fast food lunch but would eat dinner with mu mother.
I am actually going to be going down a couple days before the rest of my group in December. I am looking forward to the time alone and a possible trip the the GF spa... smile.gif
Have a wonderful time!!!!

Erlesgirl
02-23-2002, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I am so excited to go alone now. Also SteveO, I can't wait to read your trip reports. Thanks again graemlins/mickey.gif

CJDDS
02-23-2002, 02:35 PM
There was a pretty good article in the Disney Magazine a couple of issues ago about going to the World alone. You might want to see if you can locate a back issue at your library and read it. Have a blast!!!!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

CJDDS
02-23-2002, 07:08 PM
Just noticed that there is an article on Adults at WDW about going solo to the World. You might check it out on www.adultsatwdw.com/index.html (http://www.adultsatwdw.com/index.html) graemlins/mickey.gif

wdwfan
02-26-2002, 04:15 PM
I have gone alone and thought it was great. You can do everything YOU want to do. I spent most of my time in Epcot (during Flower & Garden Festival) I ate dinner one night in Teppanaki (Japan) which was great. This gives you a chance to meet & talk with other people along with a fantastic meal. I would go it alone anytime.

TCLites
02-26-2002, 10:17 PM
I have been once solo, only two days. I'm an amateur photographer (taught it in High School in another life time) and have never felt like I could infringe on the group in other trips to stop and find those special pictures. I spent nearly a whole day at Epcot just photographing. I lugged all three of my cameras and lenses along and just searched out and composed pictures. I got some GREAT photos. I also met some neat people. When you are alone, it seems like people standing in line like to bring you in to their conversations. I spent about two hours with a family at Disney Quest one night. Their young girls "adopted" me when we ended up on the Hercules interactive ride together. It was their first trip and I was able to give them all kinds of advice and tips for the parks.

Have a great time. I love going with a group, especially some people that have never been there before, but I would go solo again in a minute.