PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report From 1999

Imalismom
04-28-2002, 08:21 AM
I had wrote this report, and thought I had archive it, since it had so much in it. I did not, so I am reposting, so I can archive it :)

Ali's Mom's Disney Adventure Report
Dates: 8/3-8/8, 1999 (five day trip)

Adventurers:

</font> Author: Loving Mother, faithful daughter, and Disney Plan-Aholic - Ali's Mom </font> Hubby: 47 and a very loving father, and can't plan for a hill of beans - Doug </font> Daughter: 22 and a junior at a college three hours away - Jennifer </font> Daughter: 20 and a sophmore at college one-hour away - Rachel </font> Daughter: 6, starting first grade in the fall, this will be her second trip to WDW, and is an avid ice-skater - Ali </font> Mom: In her late 60's, first trip to WDW, many many many trips to Disneyland (since we lived 10 minutes away from it for a long time). This is her very first ever vacation - Dotti </font> Dad: In his early 70's, same as mom, many trips to Disneyland, and his very first vacation - Jack </font>August 3: Day -1 (Or Tomorrow We Will Be On A Plane)
It's about 2:14 PM in the afternoon. I go to the bank ATM machine, and deposit a money order that had been sent to me. I place all my credit cards (which are in a little plastic picture holder) on my car seat. Absently mindingly, I sit down on them as I sit into the car.

My mom and I decide to stop at a warehouse club (Sam's), to maybe pick up a few last minute things, and besides, its right across the street. I get out of the car at Sam's, lock and alarm the car, go in, do not buy anything, and leave Sam's (Mom bought some things though).

Fast forward to 8 PM. I am packing up my fanny pack for the trip, and go out to the car to get my credit cards from the front seat of the car (after the initial panic of where are they, I remembered putting them in the front seat of the car).. Only trouble - they are NOT there.

The car had been in the driveway of my house, with the window rolled down, so we figure that I had either one:

1) When I got out of the car at Sam's, the plastic holder had somehow slipped onto the ground by the car,
OR
2) Someone had taken it out of my car while in my driveway

Now, there is a silver lining in Everything - correct?

This silver lining was
1) My car was spotless by the time my husband and father had gone through it with a fine tooth comb,
2) My house was spotless by the time I had searched my whole house for it (that was before I remember that I left it in the car)
3) This was a cash only trip, and I still had my checkbook, and drivers license, so we were not totally dead-in-the-water

I also had my daughter's ATM/DEBIT/VISA card, so I could use that to put on account at the resort, and just transfer the funds from my account to hers, and charge everything to the room. So although it was not the best, it would work, and things could go forward and all I had to do was call one 800 number to get all the cards stopped and re-issued.

Life goes on we go to bed, and set the alarm for an early wake up, since we have to leave the house at 4:30AM for a 7AM flight to Orlando.

[ April 28, 2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Imalismom ]

Imalismom
04-28-2002, 08:23 AM
August 4: Day 1 (Or How We Get to WDW Via a Turtle)

We are now up, we are now dressed, we are now eager to go it is 4:00AM, and it's the start of our vacation, and all the woes of yesterday are forgotten (okay, not forgotten, but man, I'm trying)

I had arranged to take one car to the airport to leave there, and Jennifer's boyfriend has this huge pickup truck (this is Texas, so boyfriends usually come with pick-up trucks), and all 14 pieces of luggage goes into the back of it to be transported to the airport.

We get the airport at 5:45, and with the 7 (count them 7!) hard coded tickets, and the 7 assigned seats I go to the window, with 6 people behind me, and 14 pieces of luggage (it looked like we were going away for ever, and not just for 5 days LOL!) .

The lady at the counter is nice, but slow . Way too slow for my liking and I finally say to her "Is there a problem that perhaps I can help with"? At that point, she says, I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly, let me get someone to help me. (Okay, I calmly say to my inner self - what else can go wrong? Maybe asking myself that question was not the correct question to ask)

Now, there is this lady and this man looking at the computer, and my tickets, and the computer, and my tickets, and the computer (I think you get the picture). Okay, I pipe up "Is there a problem"? The lady says, "Well, none of you are in our computer system, and the plane is already 29 people over-booked"...Okay, I think this is where my father wishes I probably had an intravenous supply of prozac, because I kinda sorta LOST IT! . To which the man standing next to the lady says "There is no need to get upset here, we will get you on that plane". Which he did? One of us in the middle seat of row 6, one in the middle seat of row 9, one in the middle seat of row 11, one in the middle seat of row 14, one in the middle seat of row 19, one in the middle seat of row 21, and the last one in the last row middle seat. Now, I'm not a happy camper at this moment, in fact, I am in tears, since Ali is only 6, and is now sitting between two strangers, and I'm envisioning her getting molested, or any other worse thing that could possibly happen. I then let the man know I was not happy, and now my dad has gotten involved, and insists on speaking to whomever can straighten this mess out. The "red-coat" comes up, and says, no problem, at the gate, they will fix it all for you, and you'll all sit together, just trust me (BTW: He lied!)...

So... Off to find the gate, we have 7 people, 3 carry on luggages and 1 very unhappy
planner thinking to her inner self (okay, this is thing number 2 that has gone wrong, what will be the third thing - Maybe asking myself that question was not the correct question to ask)

We get to the gate, and lo and behold, we can not sit together, they can NOT get anyone to move out of an aisle or window seat and into a middle seat (hmmm.. I wonder why?), so an adult can NOT even sit next to Ali ah, but, the plane is overbooked, and if we would be so kind to take the next flight out, they will upgrade all of us to first class, plus give us a $300.00 per person free voucher. A quick look at flight times tells us, we should be in Orlando by 2-3pm, so we decide to go ahead and switch (mistake number one for the day here folks!).

We get the new tickets, the new seating, the vouchers, and a free coupon for breakfast, and notice that it was not the next flight out - but the flight 2 planes later (when I question, they stated, well we could not get you all together until then). Now, I am bound and determined to turn this bad start around, so I say fine (mistake number 2 here), and go look for the rest of the family. Okay, anyone reading that has a 20 year old and a 22 year old, that had gotten up at 4am, and not happy with that fact, ever tell them that they can not get on a plant until 12:50, and its not even 7am yet? If you have, then you know they outburst I got from them.

We went and got breakfast - compliments of Continental airlines, and the girls (all three of them), went in search of blankets, pillows, and a large piece of floor. The girls promptly fell asleep, and mom and I left Dad and Hubby to go in search of stores in the airport. The girls diddled away the time by sleeping, and around 12:15 all woke up on their own, which was nice, since we were supposed to board at 12:50. The plane got in at 12:48 to the gate, so it was more like 1:20 before we boarded. But we were in first class, we had all six seats in the first row (AB CD EF), With Mom and Dad in AB, Doug and Ali in CD, and Jennifer and Rachel in EF. If you notice, I am missing... I volunteered to be the one sitting in the second row, all by myself (please, give me the time out!!!)... The nice person in blue and white, gave us all a drink (I was really tempted to have an alcoholic drink at this point, but I resisted!)...

And we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... did I mention that we sat?... in fact, we sat for over an hour, before we taxied away.

And we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat...did I mention that we sat? in fact, we sat for over an hour, before the pilot said we needed to go back and disembark so they could fix the engine (he felt it was needed to fly the plane LOL!)

And we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... and we sat... did I mention that we sat? in fact, we sat for over 2.5 hours, before we could get back on the plane

Did I mention that it was 7PM by now? Did I mention that I now had a grumpy father, two grumpy kids, one hyper kid (guess which was which), and a planner, all in a horrible bad mood?

We got back on the plane and I asked for alcohol!!!! Ah, but Continental gave everyone a coupon for a free drink, a 3 minute phone card, and a certificate that you have to spend money to save money, and that is supposed to make up for it (NOT!).

Now, mind you, all during the day, I am on the phone with the concierge of Grand Floridian, cancelling dinner at Chef Mickey's, cancelling lunch, cancelling five massages that were scheduled, and with Tiffany's making sure they knew that we were not going to be at the airport at 10 AM, but 9 PM instead, and everyone was wonderful on the WDW side of things. Also with Jane from Gifts of a lifetime (see footnote).

We get off the plane about 9:30PM, the luggage is already there, Desi is waiting for us from Tiffany's, and we get to the Grand Floridian just in time to see the fireworks. The concierge people were great, and to find our silver lining again, we did not have to wait for our rooms, they were ready, turned down, and a chocolate piece waiting on the pillows for us. It did take over an hour to get our luggage, which I thought was strange, but hey, at least we HAD luggage, right? With the way our day had gone, I had half expected the luggage to be sitting in Europe somewhere. A nice touch -- when we checked in, the concierge had typed up a very quick letter, and let me know of all the changes that had made for me today, and what was now what. Our tuck in note for the night was from Disney's Cinderella "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes".

At the Grand Floridian, we are on the first floor, room 6105 and 6107, we have the
connecting door in between our room, with the lagoon view as requested. A robe is promptly delivered to my room for Ali, and Hubby and Ali run off to Magic Kingdom for an hour, and the two older girls tell us three older folks to go do something and they will wait for the luggage, (did I mention I think I have the best 20 and 22 year old around?) -- so we go and look at some of the stores in the GF, look at the lobby, and then hit the monorail (we got to sit in the very front, so the first time my parents ride the WDW monorail, they get the front seat!) -- I take them over to the Contemporary so they can look around there, , and we go back to the room, see the luggage is there, find the girls have unpacked all of ours (not mom and dad's) and everything is nicely put away or hung up, and they are ready to hit the pool. The lobby and resort is really nice, but not as nice as it is at Christmas time. I still think Christmas is my favorite time of the year to be there. We finally all climb in bed at 1 AM, having been awake since 3:30 AM (ok, some of the younger folks did take a nap LOL!), I quickly pick up the phone, ask Mickey to wake us up at 6 AM, and drift off to sleep.

Footnote: As I'm waking through the halls with my mom at the Houston Airport, I say out loud, "Oh, I have to call Jane" (who was doing something at 5pm for my parents)... My mom says "Who is Jane, and why do you have to call her"? I lied and said "Oh, she is just a friend who was going to come to Chef Mickey's to have dinner with us. What she REALLY was doing was:

As Mom and Dad walked into their room, there was this HUGE white basket, with ivy interlaced all throughout the handle, OVERFLOWING with camera's, sunscreen lotion, Pepsi (see you CAN get Pepsi at WDW with Jane LOL!), Bubble bath, A Grumpy, A Mickey, Chocolates, mints, chips, granola type bars, nice stationary to write little notes on, pens, tons of other stuff that escapes me at the moment, with a little love note saying Welcome to WDW, and that I loved them. There was not a single piece of filler in that basket. Jane did such a wonderful wonderful job on it, and it was just the first of many surprises planned for my parents.

But... we are here... we are happy... and day two will be much better, I am sure

Imalismom
04-28-2002, 08:26 AM
August 5: Day 2 (Or, Mr. Toot has a Blast)

Mickey calls right at 6 am in room 6105, and 6:04 in room 6107 (my parents room, but since the door was open, I could hear the phone ring). I try to wake up Ali to hear Mickey, but there was no waking her up. I just put the phone by her ear, and just hoped that by osmosis, it would go into her head At 6:10 I hear my dad trying to mimic Mickey to my mom, and I can not contain my laughter, which now wakes up Ali, who is complaining that she can't be awake yet, cuz Mickey did not call yet (ROFLOL at this point) Now, the plan HAD been to hit Magic Kingdom at 7:15, do early morning, then go to MGM at 9:15ish and have breakfast at Hollywood and Vine at 9:45am. Notice, I said the PLAN WAS... First of all, don't TRY to put 4 females and 1 male in one bathroom, and expect them to get out in 45 minutes. It just will not happen LOL! Doug ended up using my parents bathroom EVERY morning, which is a good plus for having connecting rooms - two toilets, 2 showers, and 4 sinks! We hit the concierge breakfast around 6:30AM: Donuts, Donut holes, Croissants, Pastries, Cereal, Bagels, Bread for Toast, Butter in the shape of Mickey Mouse, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Whole Milk, 2% Milk, 3 types of Coffee, 3 types on coffee flavoring, 20 different types of hot teas, and the newspaper (actually, it was in front of our door each morning). We did not walk out of the rooms and ready to go until 7:45 (ugh!).

POINT OF INTEREST HERE: If you are taking the little mini fans with water, please BEFORE you leave, put the batteries in them! For some un-for-speak-able purpose, they (the company) - put these tiny Phillip head screws in the slider to open up to put the batteries in them. We never put the screws back in, and they worked JUST fine, -- but it took the concierge several hours to find a screwdriver small enough to take out the screws, so we were without fans for a while (we did manage to have one fan without the screw in it, so we were able to use that one).

So, we are quickly changing plans here...

POINT OF INTEREST HERE: If you have a plan done up in advance, Point number one in that plan should be "PLANS SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT, SINCE THEY PROBABLY WILL ANYWAY!'

So, off we go to MGM. Our bus driver was so funny. He asked if anyone wanted to go to MGM, and o'course we said "yes", to which he said, oops, this is the wrong bus, this bus goes only where I drive it to, and I don't know the way to MGM, anyone else want to drive?

POINT OF INTEREST HERE: If you say yes, you get to get an honorary WDW bus driver's licence.

MGM was supposed to open at 9 AM, but it was already open at 8:30 when we get there, but the ride area is roped off. Now, I have Jane meeting me at the front gate (where you get in) at 9:30, so I have to quickly do some tap dancing to make sure my parents stay near the front, but not where Jane can be seen, and where I can see her. So... we hit the shops. -- I buy Ali a necklace that she can make herself with her name on it, and I keep getting her to change her mind ("Oh, look, this bead has Minnie on it", and once she has this one on, I say "Oh look, here is a Cinderella" LOL!)... My dad is starting to get impatient with me, but I'm stalling for time, and he will have to deal with it... My 20-year-old helps out here, she says, lets go to the bathroom (its 8:45 now). I tell Mom and Dad to sit on these benches, cuz a "SPECIAL parade" goes by at 9:00AM, that NO ONE knows about it, and I want her to be able to have good seats for it" - Rachel gets me and Ali out of sight, and then goes back and tell my mom and dad Ali is having a constipation moment, so they need to sit, and we'll be back... every few minutes, she goes back and says "Ali is still on the toilet, but it should be soon". I am laughing so hard, and my dad is getting more and more impatient, but he can't go into the bathroom to tell her to hurry up, so he is stuck at the moment. We rented Ali a stroller (we really did not need it, but since she was tired, I wanted to make sure). I now spotted Jane, and walked up to her and said "Hi Miss Jane" She looked a little startled, until she realized who I was (I was giggling internally). We did a few last minute changes (since my parents were already sitting, they were just going to go up to them). Jane got to where she could take pictures, and my mom who is so observant says, "Why is that Lady taking pictures of us"? My Jennifer says, Oh Grandma, she is not, she taking pictures of the buildings, but Mom insisted she was taking pictures of her. Meanwhile a Pixie comes forward, and asks if Jack and Dotti are anywhere in the area, My poor confused parents are taken aback, but they are presented with two cowboy hats, with Mickey ears attached!

[Note: Everyone in all the parks LOVED the hats and wanted to know where Mom and Dad bought them.]

They were then given a note that told them breakfast was waiting at Hollywood and Vine for them. Off to Hollywood and Vine we go.

Hollywood and Vine:
We get there, and Jane is again taking pictures. Mom says, "That Lady is taking Pictures again", and we were almost convincing when we told Mom that she was just taking pictures of the buildings, and it was coincidental that she was were we were the second time around. Up walks another Pixie, with a big Blue bag, with a poem about all the love in their hearts, a beautiful shadow box for mom's wall at home, and a bag full of Hershey kisses. By this time, my mom is crying, and my Dad is saying, "You should not have done this," but is pleased all the same (a daughter can just tell). We go into Hollywood and Vine, for the "Bear in the Big Blue House Seating." This is the 9:45 seating, and you also get a special coupon to go have Cookies and Milk with "Bear" at 12:10pm.

Characters: Minnie (elegantly dressed), Goofy (dressed in a Tux), Pluto, Chip and Dale
Food: Serve yourself Buffet Pancakes, Mickey shaped waffles, eggs, bacon, two types of potatoes, sausage, french toast, fruit, peaches and cream, lox, bagels, cream cheese, cereal (hot and cold), croissants, and pastries.

We were in and out in less than 30 minutes (we caught Jane off guard, we got out so quickly), and on our way to THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE. Now, there are two sides to the ride, and if you want to see the John Wayne Scene, you need to ask to ride the "B" ride. We got right on the ride, with no wait in the line at all (what a shock here!). Jane was snuck in through the back door, and climbed aboard the ride without Mom and Dad even noticing. At the John Wayne scene, Dad was passed this package, all nicely wrapped up with the two new John Wayne movies that was just realized on home video, and Mom was passed this beautiful bouquet of flowers (all sorts of flowers, and in a wonderful arm arrangement). As the ride came to an end, Jane whispered to me "Stall them." So, I had to take their picture sitting on the ride with their gifts, and then a couple inside the ride (by the exit door) with their gifts, etc. As they walked out, they were met with the grand kids, holding a sign that said, " WE LOVE YOU, MOM & DAD!" It was laminated; the letters were in Green, with Black outlines, and yellow shadow boxing around each letter.

Jane then revealed herself to Mom and Dad, at which Mom exclaimed "I knew she was taking our pictures." I later told Jane Mom said she was on to me, whenever she saw Jane with a camera in her hand, she knew I was going to be doing something (you'll need to know this for the report tomorrow). Jane then took pictures of the family for our memory books. Jane also had the flowers and all the gifts delivered to our room for us, so Mom did not have to carry flowers all day.

We walked around the park for awhile, just taking in the different sights, not riding any rides, or seeing any shows, but walking through things like the animation sections, and the sericell sections (I found one sericell that I fell in love with, but I did not have an extra 4 grand burning a hole in my pocket [It had ALL the characters on it around the castle, even all the villains!]).

At noon, we headed towards BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE, and our milk and cookies time.

POINT OF INTEREST HERE: This is good if you want your child to have front row seats for the show, however that is all it is good for. Your child is given a box of cookies (animal cookie box style, but of Mickey and Donald), and their choice of pint of milk, or an apple juice box. They then sit on the floor, eat the cookies and wait for the 12:30 show to start. There is no interacting with Bear, or the characters, nor do they even come out until the show starts.

The show is wonderful, and its like you are watching a Bear in the Big Blue house show, except it's live. They even have Luna, and Shadow. It lasts for about a half an hour, and I would recommend it for any one of any age. You sit on the floor though, so if you have problems with sitting on the floor (bad back, bad knees, etc.), you might need to reconsider this show.

After the show, Ali and Doug needed some down (nap and pool) time, and Jennifer and Rachel wanted to go check out the fast passes. So our family vacation was now broken up into three groups, to regroup together no later than 4PM at the hotel room.

POINT OF INTEREST HERE: NEW! Disney FASTPASS (FASTPASS has a small sm directly next to it, each time the FASTPASS word is used) - This is what is given out at the gate when you walk in:
- Tired of waiting in line? - Be part of the excitement at {name of ride here - each park has different rides listed} - Go to Disney's FASTPASS distribution at any one of the attraction with your entire party (with your entire party is printed in bold) - All members of your party must present their Park Admission ticket and each will receive their Disney's FASTPASS. - Your Disney FASTPASS will save you a space in line, and assign you a designated time to return for direct entrance into this attraction. - Instead of waiting in line, you are free to move about the Park at your leisure. - Return to the Disney's FASTPASS entrance within the time frame printed on your FASTPASS (usually an hour). You'll be admitted directly into this attraction with no further wait. - Guests can also choose to wait in the traditional "stand-by" line. - Important!! There is no charge for this pass, however you must obtain and use each FASTPASS before obtaining a FASTPASS for another attraction.

Our group of three decided to go look at the Villain store, and I had wanted to get a Custom Watch made (maybe)... So we decided to go to the Villain Store, and the watch store, and then head back to get a second wind.

A note about Custom Watches. They really aren't custom. They have two sizes, ladies, and unisex. You can have a colored one done ($350.00), or a sketch one done ($200.00). The ladies size is very very limited in what can be done, and you can only order what is in the book (this is where I was disappointed). I had wanted either a Snow White and the Seven dwarfs, or a female villain watch. Disney no longer does a watch with both Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs together on it (I don't know for how long "no longer" means), and they do not do the female villains in a female watch (Sigh!), only the unisex watch. HOWEVER (!)... The cast member who was helping me said he did have one watch from Christmas of 1995, that said Christmas 95 on it, limited edition of 65 (this watch happened to be 65 of 65), with both Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs on it, dressed up in Christmas Motif. It was a colored watch, and not a sketch, and I am now the proud owner of that watch (watch one of two that I purchased this trip).

POINT OF INTEREST HERE: If you want a custom watch, and have a MKC card, they do this same thing at World of Disney, downtown, and you'll save 10%.
While waiting for all the paperwork to be done on the watch, I found a wonderful black/white sketch (with a little red color) of Pooh skating on a pond, so I got that for Ali for a Christmas present. They even nicely framed it for me, and now I can't wait for her to open it.

We three then headed back to the concierge lounge to grab a quick something to tide us over to dinner.

That afternoon, the lounge had English Truffle (sp?), fruit trays, nuts, cookies, ice tea, lemonade, water, coffee and veggies. Newspaper included The New York Times, The USA today and The Wall Street Journal - several copies of each, so you could take one back to your room if you wanted to.

The Concierge people had my tickets for Hoop-Dee-Doo waiting for me, I picked them up, and went out to the pool to watch Goofy, Tigger, and Pluto IN THE POOL playing with the kids (Ali included). I got Doug and Ali out of the pool, and dressed, and over to the Contemporary to catch the boat to Fort Wilderness.

We had our picture taken (1 5X7 and 2 wallet magnets were $19.95), and we settled down to the Hoop Dee Doo. We were at Table 022, which was on the front row - right at the end of the stairs that the cast members walk up on stage at. As soon as I saw our table, I knew my parents were in for a treat.

Dinner - All you can eat, served family style Salad Chicken (Fried) Ribs Corn Beans Bread Strawberry Shortcake

We were asked and incorporated into the show where we were from (Texas), and a song was done about keeping your boots off the table. Further into the show, we were doing a "toot" (like a railroad engine toot), and my dad was just sitting there like a bump on the log . For you that know the show, the red headed female, with the long braids stops the show, comes down to my dad, and says "Hi, - You were not tooting and what is your name"? My dad looked right at her, and without cracking a smile, says "TOOT". Now, she flowed so nicely with it "AH Mr. Toot and what is your last name Mr. Toot"? To which my dad, without cracking a smile (but a very red face), said "Toot", and she then said, "Oh, Mr. Toot-toot - Did you know we can help you with that nice red coloring of your face? And they put a nice red spotlight on Dad, (photo op I did NOT miss), and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Then all during the show, whenever she could, she'd say things like "Now, Mr. Toot's mine, so don't you go looking at him"... Or "Mr. Toot, you're on my side, remember"? It was GREAT! I have the BEST pictures of my dad smiling like you would never believe. We bought the pictures, since they were 1) very nice and 2) to remind my dad of his good time there.

I have just hung up the phone for making my dinner reservations for Christmas Day 2000 (hey Jane, did that get past you?) For the 5 o'clock show - Bet I get another very good table.

We left there, and by boat went to the Contemporary, and then our party separated again... Ali and Daddy went to Magic Kingdom, Jennifer and Rachel went back to MGM, and Mom/Dad and I headed for Downtown Disney. The bus was a VERY long wait (unusual), and when we did get on it, it was standing room only.
HINT FOR BUS FOR DOWNTOWN DISNEY FOR GF: If you are at the GF, and going to go downtown, go over to the TTC to catch the bus - you'll be the first ones on the bus there.

While we were waiting, Mom thought a bug bit her on the ankle. She could not tell for sure, but she thought so. We walked around Downtown, bought some stuff at the Christmas Shop since they had 2000 stuff out (and my MKC club was good there), and then went over to World of Disney, where I found another watch that I fell in love with. This was a limited edition (2000) millennium watch, with The Seven Dwarfs on it, and it was a musical watch that plays Heigh Ho. It was a unisex size, and comes in a cart of colored coal, which in itself a very nice treat. I got watch 442/2000, and they had just been put out that day.

Around 11:30, the parents were getting tired, so I decided to get a cab instead of getting to the bus. We had also noticed that my mom had a small rash on her ankles, and her ankles were swelling, so I thought the cab back would be much better for her. I thought is was from this "whatever" that had bitten her, but she went to the doctor today, and she found out it was busted blood capillaries from walking too much, and not putting her feet up enough.

HINT FOR CAB FOR DOWNTOWN DISNEY TO GF: Cost is $12.50 without tip. If you are hot/tired/and not wanting to take a bus, it is well worth the $$ spent.
Back at the resort, I walk into my room to EVERYONE being sound asleep. I quickly check my EMAIL and Intercot, arranged for Mickey to call at 6AM, and looked at my tuck in poem from Disney: "GO TO SLEEP" from Disney's Babes in Toyland. Slumber Deep, drift away on fleecy clouds above you.

I was SOUND asleep, when what did my ears hear? A SHRILL alarm Hmm I get up and check my parents' room - all is quiet. Now the alarm is getting louder, I can't find it, and Rachel is awake now (everyone else is sleeping through it). I go into the toilet area, and use the phone in there, and call the front desk "Good Morning, there is an alarm going off in my room, and my daughter thinks it might be the smoke alarm" [Note: Rachel says mom, just take the batteries out, she looks up to where it is, and says, hmm.. never mind LOL!] The front desk says they will send someone right over, which they did, a older gentleman in a suit and tie, with a walkie-talkie hook-up around his ear (so as to not wake sleeping guests I guess). I was waiting in the hall for him, explained what I was hearing, he goes into the room (notice everyone is still sleeping EXCEPT myself and Rachel), and he quickly goes over to the TV, and turns off the ALARM that is incorporated into the television clock radio (okay, do I feel STUPID or what) He chuckles, and says it happens all the time. (Ali had been watching TV in the morning, and must have hit the alarm button)

HINT FOR WAKING UP AT THE GF: If you are a sound sleeper, don't use the alarm clock on the TV - it will NEVER wake you up.

I once again drift off to sleep, just to hear Ali fall out of bed... Pick her up, get her back into bed, she never wakes up, and its soon time for Mickey to say hello...

Imalismom
04-28-2002, 08:27 AM
August 6: Day 3 (Or, You May Now Kiss the Bride)

Mickey calls right at 6 am in room 6105, and I never heard the call in my parent's room, but Dad said Mickey did call. Remember, when I last left you, I had checked my EMAIL, before I drifted off to sleep to be rudely awaken by the TV alarm Well, I had left the phone line logged into the computer, so the only phone that was ringing was the one in the bathroom and I really wanted Ali to get that wake-up call... So I literally picked up her sleeping body and carried her into the bathroom to get the call, and the ringing stops(!)... I was so disappointed, and Ali just crawled right back into bed... I went and plugged in the phone, just in time for it to start ringing again, so, Yeah!... She got her Mickey call.

POINT OF INTEREST HERE: If you don't wake up the first time Mickey calls you, he will keep calling you until you talk to him

This morning, we were bound and determined to get out of the room no later than 7:10 (we almost made it LOL!)...

We had Chef Mickey's at 7:30 and I did not want to be late.

POINT OF INTEREST HERE: Chef Mickey's now has a plate that you are forced to stand in front of, and have your picture taken, you do not have a choice, since the picture person gives the hostess the card that says you are now ready to be seated. No picture, and no card to the hostess. When the lady came to give us our picture, I simply stated "No, thanks, I am not interested", and handed the picture promptly back to her. Maybe if enough people do this, they may make this optional. We purchased many pictures taken this week, all optional being taken at my choice. Since this one was forced on me, I was bound and determined NOT to buy this one, even if it had been the best picture we had ever taken!

Characters: Mickey Minnie Chip Dale Pluto Goofy
The Breakfast was buffet style: Several Types of eggs Frittatas (instead of just scrambled eggs) Pancakes (just plain ones, no Mickey shaped this morning) bagels Fresh fruit cereal (hot and cold) sweet rolls sausage bacon potatoes (with meat in the potatoes also)

We had a very enjoyable meal here. Dale and Chip were very very playful. Dale kept untying Chips apron, and Chip took Jennifer's hair scrunchie off and stuck it over his nose, and walked around Chef Mickey's with it. Jen asked me "Mom, am I ever going to get it back"? She did, and we left and were on our way to EPCOT. A note here: My Mom was very disappointed in the food quality today. She barely ate anything, except hot oatmeal. I was not particularly hungry, so I only had a few bites here and there, but the others in our family enjoyed that meal very well.

We changed monorails at the TTC, and we were on our way to EPCOT. There is a lot of construction going on at the entrance to EPCOT, and I think it takes away from the beauty that is normally there, but hey, in a few months, it will be great again.

First on the agenda here was "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" show. Now, Ali had wanted to take Grandma on this show, since Ali knows Grandma HATES mice. Now, me, being the ever so nice daughter that I am, decided that I did not want my mom to have a heart attack, so I pre-warned her. BUT... I did not warn either Jennifer or Rachel. Now, if anyone remembers when Ali last did this with me, as soon as the mice got duplicated, she was in my lap faster than you could breathe! Ali is now settled into this show, sitting on her legs! I just smiled and nudged my mom. When the mice were duplicated, Ali is now watching both her sisters and Grandma(!!)... Grandma gave her a giggly response (since she knew what Ali was expecting), but the funny part was the 22-year-old... her feet went up, and NEVER did really return. It was indeed a special "memory moment".

After we came out of the HISTA show, the older girls had a special delightful treat for Mom and Dad and Doug and I. They were taking Ali for the day, and the older adults could enjoy the countries of EPCOT they way she knew we would want to. We agreed to meet at the American Pavilion at 3:40 for the 4pm show of Lord of the Dance. The kids actually went back, took a nap, and just enjoyed the pool. Meanwhile...

I took everyone to Ice Station Cool. Tried all of the drinks. I had Mom taste Beverly first; She told me she did not know when, but that she would get me back.

Mom and Dad and Doug and I walked through all the countries. We went through every gift shop and just touched and enjoyed. I made a CD in one of the shops with the following songs:

THE TIKI, TIKI, TIKI ROOM
COLORS OF THE WIND
YO HO (A PIRATE'S LIFE FOR ME)
Disney's Magical Moments Parade
Jump and Jam
Prince Ali
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (2 versions)
Golden Dream
Remember The Magic

The CD was $21.95, and can hold up to 10 songs. You get to name the CD yourself, and I named mine Disney's Treasure's.

We then spent some time in the Garden areas of the UK-Tigger's Maze, Piglet's Friendship Garden and Rabbit's Vegetable Garden--and saw the topiaries of Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Rabbit - I love seeing them all, and I wonder how many people just rush by them and never see them?

We stopped in France to try some delicious desserts for lunch. I had a slice of Black Forest cake, Mom had a souffle, Dad had a Bavarian cream, and Doug had a piece of cheesecake, and we all split a Chocolate Mouse cup. The Living Statues were not out, and I was sad to see that, as I really had wanted to see them!

It was now off to the American Pavilion, where we got to enjoy "The Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps". They were great. Later, when Rachel returned, one of the girls let her try her fife. Rachel is an accomplished flutist, and she was having quite a hard time with the fife. The one girl mentioned that playing it has ruined her flute playing. Mom also enjoyed The Voices of Liberty - which were really excellent and a hidden treasure to hear.

We stopped and got our Lord of the Dance badges, and we were really to hit Japan, where my dad really wanted one of the Bonsai trees, but we could not figure out how to get it home, so we did not get it. From Japan we went to Norway.

PHOTO OP: In the middle of the Norway store, is this HUGE Troll, just begging with open arms to have your picture taken with him. The cast members in the store will even take a picture for you with your camera, so you can get a group shot done if you'd like.

The Maelstrom in Norway's line was too long, so that was scratched off our list.

From Japan we went to Mexico, for a quick look around.

Since my parents have not gotten to travel - I think it was well worth not doing any of the Future World stuff, or any of the Land shows, just so they could get to enjoy the architecture and ambiance of each nation. I do wish we had had more time though, so they could have enjoyed even more.

Now it was time to hit the Lord of the Dance. The non-package line was VERY long, but the package line (which we had) had only a few people in it, so we had excellent seats on the second row, right at the end of the stage. My parents loved the "fiddlers", especially the one who swung her hair so much that it went between the bow and the strings. I did notice that for all the hard fiddling, their bows weren't shredding at all. The dancers were very energetic, and I felt the lead dancer was the worst of them all in the sense that all the others did much better and faster dancing then he did.

After the show, we headed over to Canada for dinner (Oh, have I mentioned that THE PIXIES would soon be showing up?)...

I was very disappointed in Le Cellier, not for the food, but for the service. The food was very good, excellent in fact. We all had steak of some variety, and either the cheese soup or the Caesar salad. HOWEVER... I had to go find my own tea on several occasions. The only time I really saw our waiter was when we got the bill. We were afraid to order dessert, as we figured 1) It would take forever to get our server to be able to order and 2) As slow as he was, it would be midnight before we got it. Did I mention that the PIXIEs were waiting???? But we did, and asked for it to all be in take out boxes.

POINT OF INTEREST: If you have the dinner package, order the most expensive things you can - it's a one price fits all. You get more bang for your $$ if you order a $24.95 dinner, then a $17.95 dinner.

Now, if you remember from yesterday, Mom had said that she was now "Onto me and Jane, and when she saw Jane and a camera, she just knew not to trust me". So... What should appear before our very eyes? Jane, -- without a camera! She "just" happen to be meeting a friend for dinner here, and since I had promised her a little fan (she can not find one like I had), she had arranged to come early so I could give her an extra that we had. Mom was so excited to see her and no camera. Mom just knew she was safe (famous last words!). Mom even helped Jane out very much, she asked her if she would mind taking her prime rib home to her husband, so that she would not have it go to waste. Jane said, no problem, I'll be right outside, just come find me, and I'll take it home. Dessert arrived in to-go packages, and we were off to go back to the resort (or so they thought!!)

We went to "find" Jane, who had to show us the baby ducks... no camera in her hand so mom was lulled into false sense of security. We walked over to "meet" Jane's friends (Oh, did I mention that Jane brought her husband along, and "he" had a camera trained on my parents

When Jane got my parents in the correct spot, a minister appeared (actor), and my parents renewed their wedding vows, complete with "rings", bubbles, pixie dust, and love.

I left Jane feeling very sad, knowing that this was the last thing that I had "planned" though her.

Oh... Did I mention she had a surprise for me? Guess I'll let "her" tell you, so I won't spoil her surprise

We talked Jane into taking home all the desserts, and the prime rib, we hugged, and we were again all on our way...

Dad and Doug were off to Downtown Disney, to buy some Christmas gifts for the ladies in their lives, Mom was sent straight to the resort and to bed, to elevate her legs (which were now very swollen and very blue and red), and Ali and I hit the pool until the fireworks, Rachel and Jen also joined us in the pool for a while, we had a very relaxing night, a quick call to have Mickey call in the morning, and we all fell asleep Waiting for my dad and Doug to return from Downtown Disney.

Next...

Imalismom
04-28-2002, 08:28 AM
August 7: Day 4 (Or Mr. Toot Meets Buzz)

I forgot to give you my tuck in note from last night: Now to Sleep - From Disney's Perri: Got to Sleep, slumber deep, let the soft night enfold you.

Yeah, the phone is ringing, and Ali is awake to answer it She hangs up with this huge grin on her face (hey, it only took 3 morning to get this right LOL!)

We are getting this getting up, and hitting the concierge buffet, and out the door by 7:15am down pretty good. My Mom's legs do not look any better, so I quickly talk to the concierge people and have them book a leg reflexology massage for my mom for around 2pm in the afternoon. I also have the cancel our 5PM Liberty Tree Tavern PS's, since it seems like the group is going to be split up again (more on that later).

We head over to Magic Kingdom, which is the first time my parents have now been there, and the third time this trip for Ali. The older girls are already complaining that they just don't want to be here, and would rather be on the beach with a Pina Colada. So, we get on Dumbo, and Ali decides to have a pure 6 year old FIT prior to the Dumbo ride. Seems daddy slipped out of the line, leaving her only with Grandma She did not want to ride with Grandma, she wanted to ride with Daddy. Well, you would have thought my mom was killing her with the way she started crying (okay, this is going to be a TAKE A NAP day)... We have a talk about what is acceptable behavior at Magic Kingdom (what she did was not), and I let her ride the ride. We then go to the new Pooh ride, and I bumped into one of Jane's Pixies... My mom gives me one of these "You promised no pixies today" look and she was relived to see that "R" was indeed here just to be here. We had to ride Pooh 3 times straight in a row for me to catch the Mr Toad and Mr Pooh together picture (Pooh used to be Mr Toad's wild ride). The ride is really a sweet ride, but my dad thought it was too bumpy (okay, for those that had ridden the ride, you now can understand why there has not been an abundance of ride riding on this trip). From Pooh, we did Snow White, and from there we did It's a Small World. We then left Fantasy Land, and went to Tomorrow Land, and to the people mover. I wanted to show mom Space mountain, and Dad said no, Mom could not ride it!

I introduced my Dad to Buzz. HE LOVED BUZZ! We had to ride buzz until he could beat my mom's score... now,... that was a riot to watch... I was in the car behind them, and Dad is controlling the swirly stick. Whenever Mom would start to beat him, he'd swirl the cart around so she could not hit anything it was a RIOT! I never laughed so hard in my entire life... they were just like two 2 year olds fighting over the same toy.

I got this TERRIFIC idea when we got off the ride, I went across the way to where they make the shirts I ordered a Polo Shirt, with the Buzz character on it (where a pocket would be sorta), and then under Buzz, I had them put the two words Mr. Toot in block letters. I picked it up later in the day, and before we hit the bed, I gave it to dad. He was instantly pleased. So... Mr. Toot meets Buzz has a permanent reminder of the memory.

We then went to the Castle for Breakfast:
Characters: Sleeping Beauty Snow White Belle Cinderella Peter Pan Fairy Godmother (downstairs)
Food was served breakfast style, and consisted of: Eggs Potatoes Fried Cheese Danish Rolls Fresh Fruit Sausage Bacon

POINT OF INTEREST: If this is a honeymoon, or a large number anniversary (i.e. 25/50/75) let the manager of the place know. You will get a pair of champagne goblets, with the castle etched into them as gift from Cinderella. My parents also received a 50th-anniversary card, signed by all the characters. If it is your Birthday, you will get a nice cupcake and a nice card (the table next to us was having a birthday).

After breakfast, we discovered this little shop DIRECTLY across from the entrance into the restaurant portion of the castle. Now, this has probably always been there, but it's the first time I've ever noticed it.

POINT OF INTEREST: We bought Ali a Cinderella Costume for Halloween. It is similar to the one in the catalog, but different, and a little nicer. We also bought her a tiara ($18.00) to go with it, and when I got home, I noticed we had been charged twice for it. I did not notice when we purchased it, and I was out that amount of $$, as I could not prove I had not purchased two. So really look at those receipts closely when you are purchasing a lot of little things.

Second POINT OF INTEREST: This one store had tons of Masonic/shrine stuff in it. So, if you are so inclined, you might want to take a look at this shop. It's the only place in WDW that I have ever seen this line.

From the castle, we walked through the main street stores, and went back to the hotel. Dad just wanted to go back to the hotel room and sleep, and I wanted to go pack, since we had to leave in the morning. So, we went back, I took Ali over to the pool area and got her hair wrapped.

POINT OF INTEREST: If you have a charm bracelet with any WDW princess on it, or WDW characters on it, you might want to temporary take one off and use it at the end of the hair wrap. The ones they offer have nothing to do with WDW. We used Ali's Cinderella. Ali's hair from the back of her ear is 16 inches long, and the price was $40.00 (with tip) to get it wrapped with four colors, and three alphabet beads "A", "L" and "I", and four little beads before the "A" and 4 little beads after the "I".

It took about 45 minutes to get her hair wrapped, and then she was off to the pool with Daddy. The girls decided they had had enough of family time (now, for you that have been following along, do you remember how much family time they really have NOT had LOL!). They hit the beach, and bought those Pina Colada's

POINT OF INTEREST: I was VERY impressed with the carding of my daughter each and every time she purchased a drink. Jennifer was dismayed, but I was impressed. In fact, in Le Celliar last night, when the waiter removed her glass when she sat down, she looked up to him and said "Do I look like I am underage?" This time, as the bar tender at the pool was stumbling with words, she just gave him her card, and he looked at her and said "Thanks, I wasn't sure how to ask you".
I packed up the room, and then Mom and I went over to the Spa for her spa. While she was getting that done, I wondered over to the Wedding Chapel. They had 4 weddings planned - one right after the other, and a rehearsal stuffed in there also. The cakes in the wedding chapel are to die for. One had a white chocolate replica of the castle on the top (feeds 220 and the cost was $1760.00 for it), another had Cinderella and the Prince dancing on a mirror (feeds 320 and the cost was $2560), and the other was something totally different as it had eatable sea shells all over it (feeds 80 and the cost was $760.00). Since I also do wedding cakes as a hobby (I never charge for them) , this was interesting to see and look at. I also walked over to the Poly to talk to someone about the DVC, since the Grand Floridian person was gone for the day.

POINT OF INTEREST: DO not let them fool you into thinking you have to take the tour to buy into this. You do not. The little bit of info that I have is 150 points is $9,750.00. Each point over that is $65.00. Annual fees are currently at $4.02 per point that your own. Peak time is all the good times you can go with school aged children (i.e. spring break, summer, Thanksgiving and Christmas). A studio size Boardwalk Villa (large hotel room size), is 134 points for 7 nights during August time frame, and 181 points for Christmas time frame. I do not know anymore than this, but I do have some info being sent to me, and we are thinking about buying into this. If you call 800-840-3710, that is the number to get more info. I am seriously thinking about this, but I'd have to give up the GF, so I'm just not sure...

My mom was now done with her Spa, and we decided to do the new room tour at the Grand Floridian. ..

We met "C", and he took us on the tour:

For those who weren't aware, the Grand Floridian renovations started back around the 1st of May, and will continue for the next 22 months or so. The first building being done is #5 - Sago Cay. The renovations you see on the tour are NOT in that building, but are in Boca Chica - 4 rooms set aside for "show". This tour is offered daily at 11:00 am & 4 pm. You sign up at Guest Services & it's free. You need to go to the bell stand 10 min prior to the start.

They drive you over to Boca Chica in one of those luggage carts. The rooms you get to see are on the first floor, all the way down the right hall wing. There are 4 different - completely different from now - styles that they'll be redoing the rooms in. Each building will get 2 of the 4 styles, alternating styles between floors. In the suites that have 2 or more bedrooms, each bedroom will be different. The decor of these rooms is similar enough that it won't be too much contrast. In the deluxe concierge rooms in the main building, they'll still use these styles, they'll just have a few extra pieces of furniture. There will be just one new style of carpet for all rooms & suites. (a sort of federal blue background with a XXXXX type of design.

Ok, now for the descriptions:

The layouts of the rooms will remain the same. The wallpaper in the vanity/bathroom area is very pretty, white background w/topiary character designs all over it. Small scale print. The vanity area's themselves have been upgraded a little. New more attractive mirrors, more powerful in the wall hairdryers, different, more efficient lighting, very pretty new hampers instead of the baskets on the floor; in the bathroom itself, there are nice new shelves above the toilet, and all tubs/showers will have marble surrounds instead of the tile that's currently in a lot of them. The bedroom area is gorgeous! White background wallpaper with an "X'd" pattern of vines & burgundy & a touch of blue smaller scale florals. There are beautiful dark blue printed cornices w/small ruffled edges over the sliding doors, matching curtains with pretty lace sheers.

1) An "Alice in Wonderland" room . A VERY subtle "hidden Alice stuff" type is in the white, green, burgundy & blue bedspread. The furniture will be all new - slightly darker woods, little more sophisticated furniture styling. The TV armoire is totally restyled - it's lower, has a LOT more drawer space. The chairs, table, night stands & headboards are different too. Prettier, I think. Oh and the mini bar will be kept less stocked to allow for guests to put a few of their own things in instead of renting a refrigerator, though you can still do that

2) A "Swan" room - The wallpaper is a sort of damask style, with slightly darker than pastel shades of yellow & a green, in wide stripes. The bedspreads echo these same colors, with swans in various places (small ones, nothing obtrusive) simpler yet still attractive cornices & draperies, with the same lace sheers.

3) A "Mr Toad" room, again with the "hidden" toads in the spreads. It's a lighter blue & yellow scheme, with very pretty bedspreads in those colors, with a bit of a pale red in them. The ruffled style cornices are in here also.

4) There is the "blue fairy" room. Lt federal blue tone on tone wide stripe wallpaper; yellow rose & blue bedspreads; simpler style cornices & drapes. I think this will be a favorite of little 6-year-old girls for years to come.

All of the beds will also have some really cute pillows on them. "C" said they may or may not market the bedspreads, etc. I sure hope they do! They're even considering marketing the pillows, but they're not sure about that either and said if they do, it's several years away. The lamps (little Mickey in a top hat lamps!) Lighter wood, about 14" high - I believe he said they are around $475.00 (but I may be wrong on the price)

POINT OF INTEREST:All rooms will have a certain number of things that are "inventoried", and if any of those are missing, you will be billed for that item (I'm sure that Mickey will be one of them LOL! - Actually "C" told us what will be inventoried, but I do not want to tell the world what exactly it will be.)

Building 9 will be next for closing/renovation. Each building will take about 4-5 months to complete. They are redoing these babies from top to bottom - new roofing, siding, plumbing, electrical - everything!! No matter what building they're working on, all renovations will stop between Christmas & New Years, and over spring break. They have even built a dock so things can be brought via water, and not have to be carried though out the resort.

The main building will be the last to be done. They won't be closing any of the restaurants, and the lobby area won't be redone - at least it's not in the plans right now. LOL I sort of gasped when he said they would be closing down ALL rooms at the main building, and he said there's just no other way to do it.

OINT OF INTEREST: This was extremely interesting & informative!!! If you have the time & the inclination, you should really make it a point to see this. I don't believe you have to be staying at the Grand to take this tour. It lasted about 45 min or so- I was talking to them, asking lots of questions, so the actual tour time was less than that

All the old stuff from the rooms will be sold to an outside source. I was thinking maybe the ALL Stars might get it, but they did not choose to do a "hand-me-down" type of thing.

Update:

The person from the GF corrected a few of my "tour" remembrances... (hey, I was doing good to remember what I did :-0)...) I sent "C" my report (since he was mentioned in it), and he had a few corrections for me:

1) "Each building will get 2 of the 4 styles,alternating styles between floors"
All the guest rooms will be the same style except for the suites in that building which will be one of the other styles. For a maximum of two different styles in one building

2) "In the suites that have 2 or more bedrooms,each bedroom will be different"
The entire suite and bedroom will be the same decor, not different.

3) "The four type of rooms are : "Alice in Wonderland", "Swan", "Mr. Toad" "Blue Fairy"
The four types are: "Floral" (has hidden mickeys in the trellis), "Cameo" (includes Tinkerbell and the fairies from Snow White). We are asking people to call this one the Cameo room. The next type is: "Alice," and the last one is the "Swan" (with the Wind and Willow characters).

4) "Each building will take about 4-5 months to complete"
It will only take about 3 to 3 1/2 months to complete

5) "There will not be any work done over spring break"
The only breaks are over Christmas and New Year's.

6) "The main building will be the last to be done"
There will be two other buildings that will be done after main building (Sugar Loaf and then Boca Chica).

"C' and I then talked about this site, and the fact that I had seen something on the net that he did not know was there. I promised "C" I would send him this site address and he promised he would look at it. He had met someone from another site that I visit a lot, so he already knew about that site, but not this one.

"C" then took my mom and I over to Victoria and Albert's and we got to tour V&A (and he gave me some very nice write ups on it to share with you all (I'll type it all in AFTER these reports are finished) . We then went over to Narcoossee's. I met the manager (who is soon to have a baby), and got to see this place. This place is WONDERFUL. They also have a "Chef's Table", so when you do your PS's, I would ask for this table. Although it is not in the Kitchen like V&A, at Narcoossee's, they do cooking where you can see the presentation of the cooking, and the Chef's table is set up so that the Chef can interact with you while he is cooking. This is one that I will book next time I am at WDW. The menu seemed to have a little more on it than V&A's.

Narcoosee's Menu
Smoked Salmon - homemade goat cheese, cracked pepper and olive oil $9.00 Louisiana Style Crab and Shrimp Gumbo - $7 Fried Gulf Coast Oysters - wilted leeks, applewood bacon, cider $8 Fresh Boiled Tiger Shrimp - tossed with baby spinach, basil and ripe tomato $13 Romaine Hearts - with Caesar dressing and pecorino romano cheese crisps $6 Mesclun Greens and Orchard Ripe Peaches - rice wine-ginger dressing and roasted pecans $7 Prince Edward Island Mussels - white wine, garlic, sweet butter, thyme $11 Beef Tenderloin and Portobello Satays - small vegetable relish and spicy peanut sauce $8 MAIN COURSES Grilled Atlantic Salmon - couscous, snap peas, tomatoes $24 Tempura Style Yellowfin Tuna - ginger, mango, organic greens and chili oil $25 Pan Seared Pacific Halibut - creamy cepe polenta, tomato coulis $23 Florida Pan-Handle Soft Shell Crab - $29 Seared Black Pepper Sea Scallops - schezuan beans and sticky rice $27 Grilled Shrimp and Florida Red Snapper - bean noodles, basil and saffron sesame broth $26 Live Maine Lobster - broiled in aromatic broth with cheese grits and coriander butter $46 Live Maine Lobster and Filet Mignon - with cheese grits and coriander butter $46 Penne Pasta - sautÈed garden vegetables and basil potato $19 Grilled Filet Mignon - sweet Idaho potato gratin and balsamic smothered onions $28 Grilled Australian Lamb Chops - garlic mashed potatoes and marinated zucchini spear $29 Fresh Roasted Chicken - herb marinated with sage gnocchi, carrot and celery root $25 DESSERTS Tiramisu - Kahlua and Espresso Lady Fingers with marscarpone cream and cocoa powder $6.00 Warm Apple Filo Strudel - with red currants, honey and cinnamon ice cream $6.00 Soaked Berries Stack - with chambord and whipped cream $7.00 Fudge Sampler - praline and milk chocolate with port flavored pound cake and toasted walnuts $7.00 Almost Flourless Chocolate Terrine - espresso drizzle $6.00 Tropical Fruit Sorbet Trio - guava, passion fruit, cassis with raspberry drizzle $5.00

But I give both a 2-thumbs up.

We then talked to "C" about Jane and her business, and I hoping to get the two of them connected, so perhaps Jane can work with the GF, since she does such great work. "C" wife manages the Poly, so maybe she could work with both of them??????

From here "C" walked us out to the Monorail, we said our good-byes, exchanged EMAIL addresses, and Mom and I were off in search of Magic Kingdom. We rode Pirates, sat through the new Tiki Birds, and rode the haunted Mansion - I even got a picture of the "ring". We were hungry at this point, so we went in search of food. We found a place that sold only McDonald French Fries (small - $1.60), but we decided on PECOS BILL TALL TALE INN AND CAFE in Frontier Land

Peco's Bill Meals #1
Slue Foot Sue's "Sweetheart of a Deal" Double Cheeseburger - served with your choice of French fries or carrots and large beverage $5.50; add bacon $.50 #2 John Henry Cheeseburger - 1/4 Pound Cheeseburger served with your choice of French fries or carrots $4.90; add bacon $.50 #3 Buffalo Bill Hot Dog - 1/4 Pound all beef Hot Dog served with your choice of French fries or carrots $4.80 #4 Paul Bunyan Beef wrap - mesquite seasoned beef strips, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese topped with Pecos house dressing $5.75 #5 Kit Carson Chicken Salad - freshly tossed grilled chicken, jicama slaw, lettuce, vegetables and cheese in a lime vinaigrette $5.99; served without grilled chicken $4.10 CALAMITY JANE'S SIDES Chili Cheese Fries - $2.85 French Fries - $1.55 Chili - $2.25 DAVY CROCKET'S DESSERTS Brownie - $1.50; add Soft Serve $1.00 Barq's Root Beer Float - $2.75 BABE THE BLUE OX BEVERAGES Sodas - $1.60, $1.80, $2.25 Iced Cappuccino - $2.25 Bottled Water - $2.00 Orange Juice - $1.45 Milk - White, Low Fat, Quik Chocolate $.99 Coffee - Regular, Decaf $1.25 & $1.45 Carnation Hot Cocoa, Hot Tea - $1.15 FUTURE TRAILBLAZERS SPECIAL Child Hot Dog with character cookies and child's soft drink $2.99 Child's soft drink - $ .99

POINT OF INTEREST: There is a very large "dress your meal" bar, and I have never seen a menu option of fries or carrots, but it was indeed an option. This was a hidden treasure, as the #2 combo that we got was so big, we could not finish it.

After dinner, we walked and looked, and got an ice-cream cone. We also got some Benedril (sp?) for my mom's legs.

POINT OF INTEREST: Next to Casey's is a baby center. In that center is a good place for downtime for your toddler. Small tables, a TV, and toys. There is also a small store in there that sells bottles, diapers, etc. They also sell small packages of medicines (my moms two Benedril was $1.50, compared to the big box of $6.99).

We went to find a place to watch the Electric light parade, and we bumped into Jennifer and Rachel, who had perfect spots stacked out. So, we got these NEAT places to see the parade and we did not have to wait too long for it to start (about 5 minutes). Jennifer keep saying, "Mom, its starting to rain", and we kept saying "no", and she kept saying "yes".. it was so funny when she realized she was feeling mist from a spray bottle from a wayward 5 year old standing near her LOL!.

After the parade, we went back to the resort, and my parents "other" surprise had been delivered. Well, half of it anyway. It was "supposed" to have been a chocolate Mickey and Minnie and tuxedo strawberries, but only the strawberries had been delivered, but.. They were WONDERFUL.. And they looked like they had tux's on!!!!

I went in search of my tuck in note: From "The Second Star To The Right" From Disney's Peter Pan The dreams you plan really can come true.

Now, I don't know if this was planned that this one is given on your last night at the GF, but it was so true.

A call to Mickey for a wake-up, a check on this site and my EMAIL, and I was off to sleep...

Next: Day 5, How is my pinkie supposed to go?

Imalismom
04-28-2002, 08:34 AM
August 8: Day 5 (Or, What is my Pinkie Supposed to be Doing?)

I had arranged for Mickey to call me at 7:30 for an 8:00 Spa appointment and for Mickey to call my parents at 8:30 for a 9:00 Spa. Had also called Bell services for them to pick up the luggage at 10:30, so we could check out at 11:00am (we almost made it LOL!)...

Mickey called, and I quickly got out of bed before anyone could wake up... Threw on some clothes and off to the SPA I went... I walked through the white sands of the beach, and marveled at the little tracks the ducks and birds had made.

Got over to the SPA, and was given my robe and slippers It never ceases to amaze me that they always get the correct foot size for the slippers correct EVERY time. I got into my robe, and sat on the chair enjoying a Home and Garden magazine until it was time to go back and get the actual massage. I had chosen a 50-minute Swedish massage. First thing was they were offering an upgrade with oils. I choose one with eucalyptus and spearmint oils. I also asked that my parents get an upgrade, and them NOT be told there was an extra charge. We started on my back, went to my legs, onto my upper chest and arms, and then to my head. I ALWAYS hate when you hear the glass of water being poured, as you know that the time is over.

I enjoyed the shower area - they have the nice grapefruit based shampoo and conditioner. Since there was been MANY complaints on the net about the shower area, I wanted to be able to come back and say, that I did not experience any of the complaints, but instead, I also at 10AM had to mention to the front desk people that there was NO liquid soap in the shower area. This is really inexcusable for the first thing in the morning.

As I finished, Mom was just getting ready, so I knew Dad had arrived also. I weighed myself, and was delighted to learn that I had only gained 3 pounds. I had lost 62 pounds prior to this trip, and I allowed myself to eat WHATEVER I wanted on this trip, so the 3 pounds was a delight, as I felt it probably would have been much more.

I went out and paid for mom and dad, and then went back into the ladies lounge to finish the magazine while I waited for my mom. AT 9:30, someone came in to tell me that they had totally forgotten about my dad, and would be starting on him soon (Dad later told me they took 2 other people who came in after him, and some person finally came up to him and asked him what was he there for). I think this is another area that the front desk people could improve on.

Mom had the 50-minute back facial, and she said it was absolutely what she needed. Dad had the 25-minute leg massage. He said it was "okay", but I'm feeling it was probably rushed since I think he now was being "worked" in. I was disappointed for my dad.

After Mom came back in, I asked her what oil she had chosen, and I found out she was never "offered" any oil. Neither was my dad. So much for paying for the up charge. I asked for that to be refunded, and it was.

I can now understand all the complaints being logged on the RADP and the AOL board on the GF Spa. This is the third time I have used the Spa, and although my personal massage was heavenly, the attention to detail that the GF Spa is noted for was not there this morning. I do plan on letting the GF people know this.

After the Spa, we went back to the room, finished packing, and the bell services gentleman was right on time, but we were not. We did manage to get the entire luggage out the door, but it was 11:10 AM before we could finally check out. We said good-bye to Roberto, and we were all sad to know we were leaving their great service, and their wonderful attention to detail.

We hopped the monorail, and decided to do Magic Kingdom and regroup at 1:30 in the lobby of the GF.

Mom/Dad and I went through some of the stores, and the other group of the family went in search of Space Mountain (to ride it several times).

I bought most of all my Christmas presents while everyone was gone.

POINT OF INTEREST: WDW will allow you to do three things with your purchases: 1) Send them to your resort room (up to the next to last day of your stay) 2) Hold them at the front of each park for you to pick up on your way out of the park 3) Ship them to a home address.

The shipping is a hidden treasure if you live outside of the state of Florida. You pay NO sales tax, and all you pay is an UPS fee. I had three separate purchases, and the most the UPS fee was $13.95 (on a $348.00 Purchase) but the tax WOULD have been $22.00. So actually, the shipping was free, and I gained $8.05 on this sale. If I had know this, I would have had more things shipped to my house. I even bought stuff for my grandchildren for Christmas, and had it shipped to their house.

We then walked through Toon Town, caught the train, and rode it around the park 1 and 1/3 times, getting off at the Front gate, and then taking the boat back to the GF. We loved taking the boat - in fact we used it more than we did the monorail.

At the GF, we all regrouped, and got ready to do the Grand Tea. This was actually the MOST disappointing part of our whole stay at the Grand Floridian. I would NOT recommend this to anyone, at least not in its current point. I had read many a trip report (Dave's from Canada comes to mind), and our experience was NOTHING like his.

Garden View Lounge's Grand Tea Menu Offerings

Tea Selections

Traditional Teas </font> Garden View Bouquet - An exotic mixture created by Harnet and Sons exclusively for the Grand Floridian. </font> Earl Grey - A mixture of four types of tea from China and the Indian Sub-Continent, infused with Oil Bergamot, and expensive citrus flavoring. </font> English Breakfast - Pure China Black (Keemun), this is the original English Breakfast tea. </font> Darjeeling - Grown high in the Himalayas, Darjeeling is considered the best tea in the world. </font> Ceylon and India - Known as Orange Pekoe. This is the classic blend of strong Assam from India, and smooth Ceylon fromSri Lanka. </font> </font> Jasmine - From the Kwinglung Province, this tea is scented with dried Jasmine flowers giving a refreshing fragrance. </font> Irish Breakfast - A rich, smooth and full bodied tea with a quiet taste from the high mountains. </font> Formosa Oolong - A gentle brown unblended tea whose fruity aroma is often compared with that of ripe peaches. </font> Flavored Teas with Caffeine Hot Cinnamon Spiced - A mixture of Black tea, orange peel, three types of cinnamon, and sweet clove. </font> Black Currant - A mixture of black teas that are flavored by natural Black Currant. </font> Herbal and Caffeine </font> Free Chamomile - A tea with the flavor of ripe apples and the feel of a fine Chardonnay wine, made with the finest Chamomileflowers from Egypt. </font> Peppermint - This is a brisk drink made from dried peppermint leaves.</font> Raspberry - A mixture of raspberry and hibiscus that smells just like the delicious berry. </font> Lemon Verbena - An herbal tea that tastes like a lemon. The French love this light, refreshing drink.
</font>Tea Offerings
</font> The Grand Tea - The classic English tradition of Afternoon Tea, Grand Floridian style. We offer you a variety of tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts, followed by your choice of our freshly baked tea pastries or English trifle, accompanied by a glass of sparkling wine and your choice of tea. $20.00 per guest. </font> Tea for Two - A selection of tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts and our freshly baked pastries, complete with a choice of two teas. $32.00 for two </font> Buckingham Palace - Our traditional tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts complimented by fresh strawberries and cream, along with your choice of tea. $16.50 per guest </font> The Queen's Tea Sandwiches - A selection of Grand Tea Sandwiches accompanied by your choice of tea. $14.50 per guest </font> Scones, Jam Tarts and Nut Breads - The cornerstone of Afternoon Tea. These traditional delights are served with Devonshire cream, preserves and your choice of tea. $12.50 </font> Tea and Pastries - A selection of 3 pastries and your choice of tea. $12.50 </font> Wimbledon - For lighter fare may we offer fresh strawberries with whipped cream accompanied by a glass of Sparkling Wine. $13.50 per guest </font>Special Offerings
</font> Grand Coffee - Bailey's Irish Cream and Kahlua combine in a rich creamy coffee drink. $6.95 </font> Hazelnut Coffee - Frangelico and Vanilla are blended with a heavy cream and added to our Columbian coffee. $6.95 </font> Raspberry Coffee - Chambord and Kahlua give this coffee a sweet fruity flavor. $6.95 </font> Belle's Tea - For the little "tea lover" in your party, we offer tea sandwiches (peanut butter & jelly), our hearty dark tea (chocolate milk), and a selection of our fresh baked pastries. $7.25 </font>First, we had a lovely lady escort us to our table, and explained that we could get a menu offering, or anything a la carte. I had asked, because I had wanted to get some cheddar cheese (if available), and there was no a la carte options on the menu.
She left, and another person came to take our order (BTW: That was the LAST time we saw her until she gave us our bill (more on this later))
We were going to order the Grand Tea all around, but we did not want any wine. When we ordered and said hold the wine, she told us we really wanted to order the Buckingham Palace, and we could get a choice of the strawberries and cream OR English trifle (described below). So, we changed our order to this, and we ordered the Belle's tea for Ali. She did not want Chocolate milk, so the lady said she could order tea. I also ordered some ice to accompany this tea.

POINT OF INTEREST: We were NEVER told we could get this tea in a cold tea offering. If you want yours as a cold tea, - request it. As we had our tea, we noticed that there was a thing that did make the hot tea into cold tea.

The tea's we ordered were: Garden View Bouquet (Mom), Raspberry and Lemon Verbena (Doug) - and Dad got regular coffee. Rachel tasted Mom's and said it was a very good tea.

Our first course was some sandwiches:
One sandwich, with a pear filling (I liked it, the girls did not) A pinwheel with a curry chicken spread A small tart with a chicken salad (about the size of a half dollar) A 1.5 inch tall about the size of a quarter hollowed out cucumber with a nice spice thing in it (I am NOT doing this one justice, it was very good) And the last was an egg salad

Next course was 1 scone and 2 tarts (about the size of a half-dollar). The scone (sorta like a sweet biscuit) was accompanied by Devonshire cream and the tart was mounded with this most-excellent seedless Raspberry jam.

The last course was either the strawberries and cream OR English Trifle. Jennifer and Dad had the Strawberries and cream, and Mom, Rachel and I had the English Trifle (gobs of cream, raspberry coulis, berries and sponge cake in a bowl)
Ali had a full size PB & J, and was able to choose 2 fresh baked pastries (one was shaped to look like a swan). The first lady did bring over a tray for her to choose two things from.

The Hot Tea was enough to last the full set of courses (which was nice, because we never would have gotten more

The Garden View Lounge is a small intimate area off the Main atrium, decorated in the light pinks, salmons, whites and greens of the resort. In the middle of the lounge, the serving tables are heaped with the pastries, trifle, fresh strawberries and the classic fine china settings ("The Prince Albert" pattern). I wish you would have chosen from the serving tables, but you could not, NOR could you order any cheese ala cart. I had been under the impression that there was more served then what we had received, but again, it may have just been the fact that we never really had a server.

The girls has a BLAST trying to pick up their cups as dainty as possible, and my dad kept making them laugh as he had comments about EXACTLY how the pinkie was to be while holding the cup (we did giggle a lot on the pinkie comments). And we very much did enjoy the gentleman playing the violin as the sun beat through the large windows. Ali was the most grown up pouring her own tea from her "pot".

Our waitress FINALLY showed up to give me the bill, with an apology that she was the only one there, and that the other person did not come in. I did notice that all the other tables there had their teapots covered in their very own Tea Cozy, but we never were offered any for ours. I just felt that for what we were doing, we should have had some attention during the Tea.

Over all, since our bill was well over $110.00, I felt the service really needed to be better than it was. I had been under the impression from reading other trip reports that this was a wonderful way to end the trip, and I honestly can not recommend this to ANYONE. In fact, I would do just the opposite, and try to steer you away from it.

From the Grand Tea, Ali and Doug decided they wanted to stay in the lounge and watch Bambi (on TV), and the girls wanted to go walk the beach a little (It was 4:00PM, and we were being picked up at 5:30). Since I have never been to the Wilderness Lodge, and they had a "Pooh" that I wanted to get that only could be obtained at that lodge, we took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom, and then took the boat over to the lodge.

POINT OF INTEREST:The boat to the lodge is the slowest boat I have EVER experienced. Fort Wilderness had 2 boats arrive and leave, and the GF had three boats arrive and leave BEFORE the FW had even one boat.

We walked around the lodge, it is indeed beautiful, found my Pooh, and a couple of other Pooh things (for Christmas gifts), had them shipped to the house, and we were on our way via bus to the TTC, so transfer to the monorail to get back to the GF.

We got back just in time to find Desi from Tiffany's waiting for us, and we were on our way to the airport...

We got to the airport, and got on our plane with NO HASSLE, and were on our way to Houston.

Next: Final thoughts

Imalismom
04-28-2002, 08:44 AM
Final Thoughts

FINAL THOUGHT: If I were to pass through this earth today, I would knowing that I have pictures of my mom and dad laughing and having a good time. If you do not, and you have the ability to provide a trip (no matter where it is) for your parents. DO IT. Don't wait for tomorrow, because tomorrow may never come.

General Disney Thoughts:
</font> Early Entry Days: So many people avoid them, which make it nicer for people like me who do not. If you have smaller children who enjoy Dumbo, do the EE day at Magic Kingdom at least. The long is not existent for such a long time, and the smaller kids, just fresh for the day, do have the biggest smiles on this ride.
</font> Eating: Don't be afraid to cancel your PS's. If you find that you just don't feel like eating, or perhaps just don't feel like eating at that particular place, call and cancel. This allows someone else to perhaps take your spot that REALLY wants to eat there at that particular time.
</font> Don't be afraid to try new places. Peco's Bill is the one that comes to mind. What a hidden treasure. We had so much food we could not eat it all for two people, and all under $10.00. I never ever would have tried Le Cellier, but now I love it (wish the service was better, but the food was still excellent!)
</font> Don't be afraid to talk to the CM's. I met someone at the Grand Floridian ("C") that I know that if I am ever in a spot, I can call on him. If I had not started a conversation with him, I never would have known that he gives 110% to make sure people at WDW are happy while they stay in his resort.
</font> Time: Give yourself enough time. 4 days is just NOT enough to see everything. If you only have 4 days, then don't "not go", but don't push yourself to where you are not having fun. WDW will still be there many years down the road, and even if it takes 10 years to get back, you will be much happier if you realize that you can only see "X" much and take the time to enjoy it.
</font> Shopping: I have yet to make it to the factory outlet mall, but if there is something you like, that there is A LOT OF of that item, and you have a MKC card, go downtown and see if they also have it. You'll save 10% - especially on large value items (i.e. The custom watches are $20.00 to $35.00 cheaper with your card at Downtown Disney, and it's the SAME watch). ON THE OTHER HAND it you see something that you just can't live without, BUY IT THEN it just may not be there when you go back in 3 days to buy it. Did you get home and just wish you had bought that WDCC piece, but did not? Call 407-560-6481, and they'll help you out. If they can't help you -- they'll get you to another number that can (This is The Art of Disney at EPCOT). - Ask for Debbie, she was real helpful to me.
Packages: If you don't really need it right away - have it shipped to your house if you do not live in Florida, and it's a significant purchase (more than $35.00) You pay no sales tax, and the shipping is usually less than the sales tax if the purchase is a large enough purchase. Consider combining your purchases so that you only pay for one shipping charge. The World of Disney downtown is great for this - it has almost EVERYTHING under one roof.
</font> Mickey Live: Well, okay almost... Even if you don't need one, arrange for at least one wake up call if you are staying at a resort. This is a "free" perk.
</font> Time Out: The Poly has a WONDERFUL child care center. Why not consider placing your child there for a couple of hours in the evening for you to do something that does not involve having a child with you? Your child will get a small time out from you , and you from them, and you'll both be more refreshed for it (or take along my 20 and 22 year old to take your child for a while ). May I suggest Victoria and Alberts, or Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian? Ask for the chef's table at either place for a real treat.
</font> Transportation: Use a Towncar service. Even if you have a pre-package where you have paid for Mears, DON'T use them!... Spend the extra dollars and get a Towncar service. I happened to use Tiffany's (Desi), and will ask for him again.
</font> Autographs: Instead of a book, carry a T-Shirt (or hat) and Black non washable pen. Have the characters sign the T-shirt (or hat). This is something the person can have forever. Not into doing autographs?, have them do a T-Shirt or Hat to give to a niece or nephew (or grandchild) at Christmas time. NOTE: You can not be wearing the article that you are having them sign.
</font>Specific Thoughts:
Magic Kingdom:</font> If you want to do breakfast at Cinderella Palace, please make sure you call on day +60. Call CRO if you are unsure when that day is, and they will tell you. Call right at 7am Florida time. Most people assume that it is 8am, and by that time it is usually too late.
</font> If you have two people in the car on Buzz Lightyear, don't let the other person control the stick if you are trying to beat their score
</font> Parades: This is a very good time to go on rides if you don't have a lot of time to see things. The ride lines tend to be much smaller during this time. On the flip side, if you really love parades, you need to stake out a place very early in parade time (i.e. at least 1 hour ahead of time).
</font> Heat: Take a lot of breaks. Go inside the stores, cool off. Disney sells a form of ICEE drinks... Consider one of those if you are tending to overheat.
</font> Medicine: IF you find you need something that you did not bring, go to the end of main street, next to Casey's, to the Baby Comfort Station. They sell packs of 2 in their little store inside.
</font> Don't try to do this park all at once. It is just too overwhelming. Break it up into two or three sections and enjoy them all.
</font> Fireworks: The BEST (in my opinion) place to see these (but not Tinkerbell Fly) is to the right of the Toon Town Train Station entrance. There is a little cul-de-sac with park benches that you can sit and enjoy AND hardly ANYBODY is around.
</font> Ring at the Haunted Mansion: Don't be afraid to ask a CM to see this.. If you look for it on your own, you'll probably NEVER find it . And if you take a picture of it, remember that you did... you should have seen the laughing at my house when I remember that that picture of the sidewalk was not my camera malfunctioning, but the "ring" picture (sure enough, you can see the ring!)
</font> On the new Pooh Ride, as you enter Owls section, look to the left, and towards the back of the wall - you'll see Toad passing over the deed. There is also a hidden Mickey in the Woozel scene. I think there is a hidden Mickey with the dishes on the small table going into the ride also, but I did not confirm this.
</font> Hidden Mickey's: On the subject of Hidden Mickey's, have you caught the one on It's a Small World - The hidden Mickey vine is in Africa
</font> Wishing Well: Stop and made a wish at Cinderella's wishing well.
</font>Epcot: </font> Take the time to view all the lands and the gardens within the countries. Hidden in most of them are wonderful things that you would normally just pass by (a little town with a running train station comes to mind here).
</font> Food: Ever want to try something out of the American food ordinary? The countries usually have a counter type service in each one, and you can try something for fractions of a cost then in their full service eateries.
</font> Honey - I shrunk the audience: Please pay attention to the posted signs. There are things in this that CAN and DO scare small kids and even bigger kids (like mothers!). If you really want to see this, and have a smaller child, have them sit on their feet and NOT wear the 3-D glasses, or accidentally knock them off their face (gently!) during the snake scene. Your nighttime sleep will be glad you did.
</font> Also, on all rides please make sure you remind your child to stay seated at all times. I never once told Ali (I just assumed she would) - This week a 5-year-old boy went though 4 hours of surgery after "falling/climbing" out of a very tame ride.
</font> If you have time, tour THE LAND. It is amazing how much (and how) Disney grows to feed the people in the park. You will have a very different feeling after going through this. There is a back stage tour that I have not been able to take yet, but it is on my list of "next time"
</font> Dinner Packages: When you hear $42.50 per adult (which is the highest charge), that sounds like so much. But my meal (after taxes and tip, which is included in that 42.50) was $43.50. So Disney lost a dollar on me, and I got excellent seats at the Lord of the Dance (or Candlelight Processional). If you plan on eating a good sit down meal at EPCOT, PLEASE don't pass this one up. You will need to provide Disney with a Credit Card (and here they will accept Visa/MC over the phone where they won't for your initial reservation) when you make your PS's and they WILL bill your card weeks/months before you get to Disney.
</font> Passports: Buy a passport at any EPCOT store - have you child take it to all the countries (into any store), and they will stamp it (like a real passport), and write a special message in the lang of that country. Not sure what it says? ASK! and then on the same page - write in English what was said so you can remember 2 years from now. Already have the passport and did not do that? Go to www.altavista.com (http://www.altavista.com) and click on translator. You can type what was written in and it will translate it to any language you wish.
</font>Disney-MGM Studios</font> There are shows that are wonderful to see. However, these take a LOT OF time into your day/evening. If you are on a time budget - pass most of these up to be able to see the rest of the park.
</font> Food: Hollywood and Vine has the only character place here, and the food is wonderful. If you have a little girl, she will get to see Minnie dresses up oh-so-elegantly. If you have older kids, please don't pass up the 50's prime time. This is a place where if you don't care to be harassed by the CM, DON'T GO - as you will be HARASSED!
</font> This park is big, and has plenty to see and do. When you think you have gotten to the end of the park, turn left or right and you'll probably find a road that takes you even further into the park.
</font> Tower of Terror (TOT) and Rock N Roller Coaster: Do both of these before you eat Also, Try TOT in both the daytime and the nighttime for a different effect.
</font>Animal Kingdom</font> The animals tend to NOT be out during the heat of the day. If you want to see lots of animals, you need to go very early in the morning, or later in the afternoon/evening.
</font> This park is very confusing - don't be afraid to ask a CM where you are. It also has narrow walkways, so you might want to rent a stroller here, instead of bringing your own.
</font> If it is hot, this park has little cover from the heat (or even the rain). It this is a factor for you medically, you might want to wait until it is cooler to do this park.</font>Downtown Disney</font> In my own personal humble opinion, I have YET to see a good bus for Downtown Disney. They are too crowded, usually stuff to the gills with standing room only. If you can afford the luxury, a taxi from the Grand Floridian to Downtown Disney with tip is $15.00 (and bless my dear husband, no, they don't take Disney dollars, they Don't work for Disney). You will be very glad you did!
</font> You can get a personalized CD at Studio M - It takes 20 min for them to make it. (You can also get it at EPCOT, but if you are here, you save 10% with your MKC card).
</font> Don't try to do The World Of Disney at 11pm when the store closes - we did it, and lived to regret it . It seems that everyone had the same idea as we did - (that no one would be in the store right before closing). It took us almost 25 minutes to get through the line after closing.
</font> Give the kids enough time to enjoy the Lego store... they can play til they heart is content (or you get tired, whichever comes first)
</font>Resort</font> I stayed at the Grand Floridian. I have always heard "This is not a children's resort". This is farther from the truth. From Fishing trips, to face painting, to cooking with the chefs, to Tigger being in the pool with my child... this is indeed a children's resort. You need to read the info given upon check in and check the white board by the pool daily
</font> New Rooms Tour: Even if you are not staying, do the 4pm tour, its a good time to wind down and relax, and you get to see the new rooms. No camera's please.
</font>Bottom Three Final Thoughts</font> Not EVERYTHING will go as planned When it doesn't, remember that more flies are killed with honey then with vinegar. Your blood pressure will thank you, and the persons that YOU WISH YOU COULD CHOKE THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF will thank you </font>Bottom Two Final Thoughts</font> Can't afford Disney? Do the Vacation on Layaway plan. Book your trip now for 2 to 3 years out. Send WDW a little money at a time. By the time you go, it will be all paid for. A little known fact. If you can't save money for a hill of beans, send the extra money to Disney and ask them to "Hold it on your account" Yes, you lose the interest, but you gain the fact that the money is gone from you now (so you won't spend it), and the money will be there to spend if you need to. If you have any left over, the resort will refund what is left the day you check out.
</font>
Bottom Final Thoughts</font> This is your vacation. This is your hard earned cash that you are spending. If something is not right - find the resort manager, and talk to him or her. Remember in one of my reports I talked about "C" and the Grand Floridian? The one thing that struck me the most was his love and care for the people who stay at his resort. He wants everything to be perfect for you, and if it is not, he'd rather hear about it then, instead of a letter 3 months from then (he'd still like to hear 3 months from then if it's the only time he's going hear, rather than not hear at all). Give the resort a chance to make things better for you. I think in the long run, you'll be glad you did. Afterwards, write a letter to the resort. Tell them what you liked and what you did not like. It does not have to be in the form of a complaint, it just might be something you did not like (i.e. they may have pink soap, and you have a creepy dislike of pink soap). If enough people have the same dislikes, that's how they know to make changes for others. </font>
Parting Thought</font> Thanks for sharing my vacation with me (and my parents).
</font> If I can answer any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].</font>