PDA

View Full Version : Planning on riding up front on a monorail (tips)?

LottaLubes
11-29-2001, 06:20 AM
On my recent trip to the Polynesian, we of course had many opportunities to ride the monorail. Because of this, we found out so much information about the monorails that we never knew before. If you've ever wanted to ride up front on a monorail, this post might help you. What I'm about to explain is for the resort monorail.

First of all, when you are already riding a monorail, you can not exit and move up front when the people in the front exit. You can only board the front seat of a monorail from the platform. You need to let the CM who is working the platform know you would like to ride in the front of a monorail and he will let you know if there are any families in front of you waiting. Here's where it gets tricky. Each resort has it's own monorail color for the day. So, for example, let's say you are at the Poly and you want to ride up front. During the time we were there, the color for the Poly was pink and the GF was green. If a green monorail comes by and there is someone already in the seat and they don't get out, you can not ride up front on that monorail (but you can wait for the next one). However, if the green one comes by and there is nobody in the front, you can board. Once you board and start your journey, because the green one belongs to the GF, if there are people waiting to board a front seat monorail at the GF when you stop there, you will be bumped off.

However, in my example, if you were at the Poly and waiting for the pink monorail, you would be guaranteed a full loop around the track until you get back to the Poly because know other stop can bump the Poly monorail.

So, one day my 10 year old wanted to video the loop around the resorts. We waited for the pink and it was not a problem. Another time, we were on a green monorail and were told that if someone was waiting to board at the GF we would be bumped. Nobody was waiting so we weren't bumped.

Now, if you aren't staying in a deluxe resort, you can still do this by getting on the resort monorail at the MK or one of the resorts. Or by taking the non-resort monorail to Epcot or TTC.

Hope this makes sense! graemlins/silly.gif
Let me know if you need any clarification!

DisneyWizard
11-29-2001, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the cool tips, Lotta. I love riding in the front of the monorail. I try to get a trip in each visit, but sometimes it doesn't work out. This will help! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ImaginationHost
11-29-2001, 07:45 AM
If I recall, they used to have a sign near the monorail platform with those tips on it? I wish they would have it out again, b/c I hate hearing people complain at the MK and TTC stations about riding up front when there already is someone, etc..
Thanks for posting the tips!!!!

ImaginationHost
graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

NLODisney
11-29-2001, 10:31 AM
On our last trip in Aug we stayed at the Poly and rode in the front car at least once a day. The kids loved it up there. We also were able to ride to and from EPCOT up front and thought it was such a nice ride we waited for the next monorail to be able to do it again. The kids were also given monorail drivers liscenses that they put in thier scrapbooks.

lephelps
11-29-2001, 12:18 PM
Great tips and something I hope to for the first time when we go next year. I just have one question. Do any of you know how many can ride in the front? There will be 6 of us (5 adults and a toddler) and I'm assuming we won't all be able to ride up front at the same time. Anyone know the max capacity?

Thanks,

LottaLubes
11-29-2001, 01:19 PM
Although there is probably room for 6 passengers, only 4 people are allowed to sit up front. We are a family of 5 and my husband and I switch off at stops to take turns sitting up front with the kids. Have fun!

Fantasmic
11-29-2001, 01:32 PM
Sitting upfront is cool ! :D

"I call Shotgun" graemlins/laughing.gif

KarenHelt
11-29-2001, 07:53 PM
The limit is four people up front and they never make exceptions, regardless of the size of the people. In other words, it won't work to say "But the kids are small!"

EvaBryan
11-29-2001, 09:26 PM
I guess I was lucky because the last time I went I just walked up to the front and said to the CM "can we sit there?" Her response - "uh huh."

Simple as pie. Although, it was the off season and no one else was waiting.

Thanks for the tips. Riding in the front is such a great experience.

GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow
11-30-2001, 05:54 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DisneyWizard:
Thanks for the cool tips, Lotta. I love riding in the front of the monorail. I try to get a trip in each visit, but sometimes it doesn't work out. This will help! graemlins/thumbsup.gif <hr></blockquote>

Casey, I think it is adorable that you make this a priority on your trips! Just like the parades and meet-n-greets, right? graemlins/laughing.gif

Anyway, want to hear the:

DUMBEST INTERCOT QUESTION TODAY:

IS SOMEBODY DRIVING THAT THING?

I have never ridden up front... I wanted to last trip, but my girls were too anxious to GO somewhere and were not properly enchanted with the monorail. So, the whole time I am reading this post, I am picturing an "engineer" up there, and you sit behind him/her... but it ain't so, right? You actually are in the VERY front?

I should be banned from WDW for even asking... but I know you are all my friends and will not shun me for such a silly inquiry!

And by the way, LottaLubes, this is just the sort of detailed, how-to-do-it-better post that you are WONDERFUL at sharing. Thanks for the info!

LottaLubes
11-30-2001, 08:34 PM
Why thank you Anastasia! smile.gif

Yes, there is somebody driving the monorail and when you sit up front, the driver will actually be sitting behind you!

February will be here before you know it so make sure you give it a try...it is VERY different to sit up front and I think your girls will love it!

GoofyBarney
11-30-2001, 11:08 PM
Riding up front is great! graemlins/muscles.gif
The four riders don't have to be in the same group. We rode up front one time with this sweet elderly lady who goes to WDW every year by herself just for the enjoyment of it.
But if there are only a couple of you wanting to board you can share with another couple and make more people happy.

Leaving Sunday morning. Can't wait. graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

DisneyWizard
11-30-2001, 11:49 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow:
Casey, I think it is adorable that you make this a priority on your trips! Just like the parades and meet-n-greets, right? graemlins/laughing.gif
<hr></blockquote>

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Anastasia, you have to get in a trip up front! Even if it costs a few minutes of waiting. It's not that huge of a deal, but the view is really neat. Plus it's more relaxing (to me) and you get to talk to a Disney CM the entire way. smile.gif