PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for Expectant Mothers visiting WDW?

disneyteacher
01-11-2002, 04:24 PM
I will be 5 months during our trip to WDW in February (9-13). I was wondering if any of you had any advice for expectant mothers visiting WDW? I want to get the most out of this vacation, while bringing no harm to our first child. Thanks. graemlins/clappy.gif

TheInventor'sDaughter
01-11-2002, 07:59 PM
The following attractions have the official Disney recommendation, "Expectant Mothers Should Not Ride":

Magic Kingdom:
BTMR
Splash Mtn.
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
Space Mtn.

Epcot:
Body Wars
Test Track

Disney-MGM Studios:
Star Tours
Tower of Terror
Rock'n'Roller Coaster

Animal Kingdom:
Dinosaur
Kilamanjaro Safaris
Kali River Rapids

I would agree with all these recommendations, except maybe Kilamanjaro Safaris, which to me didn't seem to warrant such a warning.

And as for missing these rides, you should definitely get used to it, because there's no way you'd ride most of them with kids!!!

Have Fun!!

- Vaneta :D

Beast_fanatic
01-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Welcome to Intercot! graemlins/muscles.gif

Keep an eye out for this month's Intercot Insider for an in-depth article on this very subject.

If you don't receive the Insider, subscribe here: Subscribe to Intercot Insider (http://www.intercot.com/email/default.asp)

disneygirlnowmom
01-12-2002, 07:38 AM
Remember to take lots of short rests and people watch and drink plenty of water. Have a great time. I was 6 months along the last time I was at WDW.

Also on Body Wars and Star Tours I believe that there is a room that you can watch the movie without being thrown around with the motion.

3Btwinmom
01-12-2002, 10:49 AM
Bring good walking shoes and stop for short rest breaks.

There are a lot of great shows in Disney too.

Do things that you will not be able to do as well with a small child. Enjoy sit down restaurants!

disneyteacher
01-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. I had also read somewhere that the Safaris were okay to ride. I will probably send family on it first and get their advice. graemlins/idea.gif Thanks again. graemlins/mickey.gif

28 days to go!!! graemlins/muscles.gif

Nana
01-13-2002, 01:40 PM
I have heard mixed opinions on the Safari ride. It is real bumpy. Also, be sure to drink lots of water. Dehydration is very easy when you are pregnant at Disney.

2PrincessesMom
01-22-2002, 07:38 PM
I went last Feb when I was 4 months pregnant. You'll be happy to hear that there are Plenty of rest rooms available. If you drink plenty of water and sit while you are waiting for the rest of your group to come back from the rides you'll be ok. I think the safari is too bouncy but i did ride Dumbo with my DD. Just sit and rest when you can. Enjoy watching the people and watching your family have fun. Disney is always a happy vacation. graemlins/mickey.gif PS I gained 5 pounds from all those buffets! graemlins/blush.gif

claysmom
01-23-2002, 12:29 PM
lol! I've had this panic already ;) Here's what I learned:

I'll be 6 months pregnant when we go Feb 2-8. I talked to my doctor (who was actually at WDW when I found out I was pregnant).

He told me to ride what my 2 year old could - which eliminates the thrill rides. Oh well :D I get to feel baby kicks! :)

There has been some discussion that Spalsh Mountain is ok. (It's being refurbished while we're down there) but my dr. advised against it because of the G forces.

I don't plan on going on Alien Encounter. It's not a ride, but the way the harnesses come down on you worries me. I don't want to take that risk.

As of right now, I plan to ride the safari. My doctor didn't think is was too rough and honestly, it's not as bad as my dad's driveway. I do plan to ask to sit in the front where it is less bumpy.

I am packing a few pairs of very comfy shoes, a pregnancy back support belt and of course, my trusty water bottle ;) The heating pad is also packed. I would ask for extra pillows in your hotel so you can prop up and get some of the pressure off of your back & legs at night.

I am also going keep a snack (fruit & gum) on me just in case. I get dizzy if I am standing for a long time. I am also planning on going back to the hotel or to the Hall of Presidents or American Adventure to unwind each day. I've heard the Baby Care Centers are great places to unwind as well.

I got great adivce here and none of those who responded to me had a bad time when they went pregnant. Good luck and have fun! :)