PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Days at Disney

LottaLubes
03-17-2001, 08:10 AM
You've heard the saying "It never rains on a golf course." But my question is: "Does it ever rain on Disney?" Do the rides in the theme parks close during the rain? I would assume they would have to if it involves Thunder and Lightning but what if it's only rain? I've read they sell rain ponchos almost everywhere so that would lead me to believe if it's only rain, the rides go on. Can anyone provide info on this? Thank you in advance.

------------------

Rhetoric2000
03-17-2001, 09:07 AM
Most rides stay open in the rain. Test Track is the notorious exception to this. But test track often closes, so nothing different there.
The water parks close if there is a thunder storm approaching. The open air shows will also close in these cicumstances. In other words, common sense prevails.
A rainy day is often a good time to stay in the park because most things stay open but the crowds diminish.
If you don't like being in the rain yourself then Epcot is a good park to visit because there is so much to see indoors.
Although it has often rained when we have been there,ie. usually August or Dec/Jan it has never come close to spoiling anything for us.
(You'll notice though that I come from the UK and live in the North of England so I guess I am very used to wet weather)

------------------

beth
03-17-2001, 10:09 AM
Some times rain can be a lot of fun. We had our September Intercot Meet as a hurricane was passing by! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif Maybe that was a bit much, but we still had a blast (with all of us wearing our ponchos). We had no problems with crowds in AK, MK or Epcot that day. Epcot was nearly deserted. Loved having the park "to myself"

------------------
beth
[email protected]
Intercot Staff Member

"Love and Mercy that's what you need tonight. So Love and Mercy to you and your friends tonight."

For more fun on all things Disney, check out our sister site, www.webdisney.com (http://www.webdisney.com)

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com (http://www.intercotwest.com)

Jeff
03-17-2001, 10:33 AM
Because of our work schedules we usually go to WDW in June. Two years ago one day turned into an all day steady but weak rain rather than the usual 1/2 hour thunder storm type. It was still very warm (in the 80's) so we haeded to Blizard Beach. It was fantastic! Absolutely no lines for anything. In fact, my daughter wore me out by continually racing back up the stairs to ride again and it was a steady climb because there were no lines to provide a rest/wait. We would definately try this trick again.

------------------

CuteAsMinnie
03-19-2001, 10:12 PM
Grab a poncho and enjoy the rain!

------------------

JPL
03-20-2001, 07:50 AM
Except for the things mentioned most of the park remains open. They might cancel the parades if it is raining but I for one love a rainy day at WDW most people head back to thier hotels & you can walk on most of the rides.

------------------
Jeff (aka JPL)
Intercot Staff:
Theme Parks/Characters
[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

bethnowllin
03-20-2001, 10:39 AM
Hooray for rainy days at Disney!! All the wimpy people go back to the hotel, and we die-hard Disneys pop a poncho on and enjoy the line free rides. I have had some of my best Disney moments in the rain, and, let me tell you, giggle fits are highly probable under these circumstances!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/rollsmile.gif
Have lots of fun!!

------------------
"If you can dream it, you can do it."

LarryBoy
03-20-2001, 11:04 AM
MGM is also a great park to do in the rain, because almost everything is indoors. Even the thrill rides are inside. ToT may have to close if their is lightening, and Indy and Beauty & the Beast are outside, but that's about it.

------------------
I Am That Hero!

BrerGnat
03-20-2001, 02:34 PM
I thought I would mention this because no one ever seems to...

Everyone talks about ponchos in the rain. I, for one, hate ponchos...especially in the hot, humid summertime. I hate how they stick to you and make you even hotter. So, I always bring an UMBRELLA with me. Not a big one, I have found some very lightweight (aluminum frame), compact (less than 1 pound), travel umbrellas at Wal-Mart. They are about $8 each and are only about 9 inches long. They end up being smaller than a rolled up poncho and easier to handle.

It is amazing how few people have umbrellas with them, but it is far more comfortable than ponchos, and since so few people have them, you will be able to stay with your group rather easily. Now...for those of you with kids, I would suggest ponchos for them over umbrellas, but for the adults out there, umbrellas are much better than ponchos. Now, if you are a die-hard "outside ride in the rain" type person, obviously an umbrella will not suffice. http://www.intercot.com/boards/ksmile.gif

------------------
"Come on everybody, here we goooooooooooooooo.....off to Neverland!"

SteveL
03-20-2001, 06:08 PM
Rain is probably the number one reason you should pack an extra pair of sneaks to ensure you have dry shoes. Other than that, get out there and play hard.

------------------
SteveL
Intercot Staff Member
[email protected]

Personal hero: Jethro Bodine

Crow
03-21-2001, 11:37 PM
every day seemed to have a little shower but didnt bother me..some of the reain may have been because of the hurricane last trip, but seem to remember trip b4 having rain some.
if you dont mind the rain it is a good time to get on rides easier

------------------
Disney trips: several times w family as kid off site(once w Hurricane Agnes hit)
twice w 2 different wives (86? off site & 96 WDW Village)
once alone (Sept 99 All Stars- Hurricane closed Disney day i left)
hopefully back in Sept w great rates at Caribbean & Dixie
Luving those DVDs.....

Timbo
03-22-2001, 09:25 AM
Yes...hooray for rainy days @ WDW!!

Growing up in Florida and having visited the World in every season I have found that in the summer it is generally best to have an umbrella or a very light, lined poncho or raincoat (not the standard WDW poncho) so it doesn't stick to you and make you even more miserable in the heat.

In the winter, the few times that it does rain, I have found layered clothes with a light lined raincoat or waterproof jacket (like a Timberland) to work best.

A change of socks or waterproof shoes is a great help.

Just remember...in the summer always be prepared for at least brief downpours...daily. You can almost time your watch by them. If rain is forecast for the day, try to do things in the morning that require dry weather, because they may close in the afternoon when the showers start.

With these preperations, you will find that rainy Disney days are the best. Crowds thin out...and the rides are line-free. If you don't mind being a bit damp, you can have a lot of fun.

------------------
Next visit: Very soon!

"A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark in me and you..."