PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with another family...any tips?

zanesmama
03-01-2001, 01:23 PM
Hi! I'm new here and have a question for you veterans. What advice can you offer for two families touring together with a large age gap between kids? My ds will be 3 and their kids 10 & 16. TIA.

Pam

------------------

pjbs35a
03-01-2001, 02:24 PM
Bonjour et Bienvenue from Louisiana!!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/bounce.gif
Glad to have you as an Intercotee. http://www.intercot.com/boards/rollsmile.gif

I hope you guys are good friends. I would suggest that you discuss in advance what rides, atractions, parks, you are most fond of. Then try to be as diplomatic as possible, because unless you guys are unique, you are not going to want to do the same things for your entire trip.......

And there is nothig wrong with that. You should do the things each party likes the best, have a place/time to meet during the day, if you go your separate ways. Meet at a show or for a meal, that sort of thing.

Have a great trip!

------------------
Frankie aka pjbs35a
Intercot Moderator
<A HREF="mailto:
[email protected]">
[email protected]</A>

“Far better it is to dare mighty things,
to win glorious triumphs,
even though checkered by failure,
than to take rank with those poor spirits
who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat.”
Theodore Roosevelt

FIRST TRIP 1980 - LAST TRIP 2001 - NEXT TRIP - IN PLANNING STAGES
Romans 8:31

zanesmama
03-01-2001, 02:55 PM
Thanks so much! Yes, we are best friends. Actually, we think we are twins separated at birth (even though Nette is 4 years older...). I think your advice is excellent and I thank you for it. We've already started our planning, but weren't sure how to handle the "differences". I think 2 way radios and a plan of attack will help immensely.

Thanks again! (Thanks for the welcome, too!)
Pam

------------------

DouieDan
03-01-2001, 07:56 PM
We have done what you are talking about 4 times thus far and are venturing to WDW in the Fall. Our age gaps were not as far apart as yours, but I think you will have a good time. Since you have some teenagers that will have their own ideas on what to do, it is a good idea to give them some space. Designate times where to meet. We did this and it worked out fine, however they need to know that is a family vacation as well. We had a good balance of famliy time and time to different stuff.

You will be amazed by how it all falls together. It is a magical place...

------------------

CuteAsMinnie
03-02-2001, 07:59 AM
I would recommend time to split up and do your own thing, meeting up later for lunch or dinner or to see a parade.

------------------

Jennib
03-02-2001, 08:56 AM
I agree with cuteasMinney (cute name by the way) spend some time on your own. It become a long day when there are things you want to do and they don't. so make meeting plans and go have fun.

------------------
jenni b

" if you can shape it in your mind, you can find it in your life."

zanesmama
03-02-2001, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. It sounds like this is definitely doable! I think half the fun will be the planning, and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as we go.

Thanks again,

Pam

------------------

Barbruka
03-02-2001, 09:50 AM
Everyone here will definitly agree with you on that one. Half the fun IS THE PLANNING!!!! We love to do it!!!

------------------
Barbruka 74,77,82,87,95, offsite
99 DXL
Next trip Sept. 2001

"I am there everyday in my heart and in my memories."

TCLites
03-02-2001, 01:47 PM
We have done this several times. This summer three families with range of children from 6 to 20.

Don't be afraid to split up, but not necessariy along family lines. Split up according to the type of rides that each wants to do and have meeting places. This way the parents of the youngest don't have to pass up all the adult rides. We let our own children (starting at ages 14 and 16) go on there own for a couple of hours once we were inside the parks. Never alone and we had some pretty strick rules about where they could go and what they could do, but we always felt safe once we were in the park. We always had a meeting place designated and they knew where we would be incase something happened.

------------------
Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future
WDW 76, 92,93,95,95,96,97,98,99,2000,2000, planning June 2001 at Shades of Green

zanesmama
03-02-2001, 02:04 PM
Again, thanks to all of you. I'm glad to hear that some of you have done this successfully. I'm afraid I'm becoming addicted to planning, though. Between my books and the boards, I spend tons of time doing things other than work! Oh well, this is lots more fun!

------------------