PDA

View Full Version : Planning advice for going with a large and varied family group

Mufasa22
11-27-2001, 11:31 PM
I will be going to WDW in June 2002 for 5 days with my family, a group of 14 with varied Disney experience. Here is the cast of characters:

Mufasa22, Surabi, and Simba(age 11), have been to Disney 3 times as a family;

Mufasa's Mother and Father, have been to Disney briefly;

Mufasa's brother and wife, and 2 children, ages 3 and 17 months. Brother and Wife have been to Disney twice before. They have never been to Disney with children. Devoted Disney fans;

Mufasa's other brother Scar and wife, with 3 children, ages 9, 6, and 11 months. Scar and wife have never been to Disney together, each have been to Disney as children. This is their first trip as a family.

My question - how to approach the planning of this trip? I have been elected the unofficial planner, how would you handle this situation?

I see challenges in the fact that this is the first trip to Disney for one family, and for another, it is their first trip with children. Of course, the grandparents want to be involved with everyone, everywhere.

This is the situation in the simplest form possible -- there is much family baggage here that I am leaving out......

Thanks for your help and guidance!

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Mufasa22 ]</p>

faline
11-28-2001, 12:53 PM
Welcome to Intercot!

First, if people have different interests, I wouldn't try to plan all day every day with the entire family. I'd start with broad outlines. Pick a park for the day. Pick places to eat that will please everyone and make PS (if necessary). Once in the park, folks can scatter and cover the ground they want and stay together (if desired) and then meet up at the restaurants for shared meals. (This will also keep tensions from building up with too much togetherness for too much of the time).

I'd try to put in at least one unplanned day. Folks can use this to hang out at the pool or revisit a park to do those things they really wanted to do but couldn't get to.

Good luck with your planning and have fun!

goofgal
11-28-2001, 02:54 PM
My first trip I was a pre-teen. My sister and I each took a parent and the parent/child decided where they wanted to go. We'd meet up 3 or 4 times a day and swap parents or get something to eat together. A variation of that might work.

disneygirlnowmom
11-29-2001, 08:25 AM
Welcome to Intercot!

I think the first thing I'd do is have a get together at someone's house for everyone who is going. Call it a vacation planning party! This is a good way to find out what everyone expectations are before you are at the park. This is a good time to talk about dining options too. Maybe you only want to meet for one meal a day or two or three. Maybe someone can't stand seafood or buffets or whatever. This is a good time to get all that out in the open and work out a generalized plan (don't do the plan every minute thing) for the important things.

Also remind everyone that if they chose to stay together all the time that they should pick one or two things that they really want to do. That way everyone get to do their favorite thing.

This way the problem are worked out in advance and everyone will enjoy the vacation together!

Have fun! :D

Mufasa22
12-04-2001, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions -- I had actually been thinking of having a vacation planning party after Christmas has passed.

Only 198 days to go!

Jared
12-04-2001, 11:54 AM
Right now, my mind is spinning. I just finished reading your comparison of your family to The Lion King characters, and its actual meaning has yet to set in. graemlins/crazy.gif :confused:

Mufasa22
12-04-2001, 03:51 PM
Quite perceptive of you , Jared.

I need to go back and review Lion King 1 and 2 so that I can really complete the characterizations.

Jennib
12-04-2001, 05:13 PM
I would agree with the fact to not plan something for everyday. If you want to stay a HAPPY family, you will give yourselves some free time away from each other.
but a great FUN thing to do is have dinner in Epcot in Japan. You can have a lot of fun there and then watch illuminations!!
We expect some trip reports when you get back!! smile.gif

Mufasa22
12-04-2001, 11:49 PM
Sounds good -- and I'm just about to post my
trip report from late September - look for it soon!

Jillpie
12-05-2001, 10:26 AM
I strongly recommend purchasing the 2 way radios, so nobody will be frustrated if they are late meeting up! There is nothing worse than making plans with a big group of people and having to wait and wait. I just finished using them at the mall this weekend Christmas shopping with my family and they were fantastic, not to mention we used them last year all over DW. Good luck!

TheRustyScupper
12-05-2001, 04:44 PM
Took 19-people in Feb-2000 (ages 4 to 79) ...

1) Planned a group breakfast every day.
2) Planned a Main Meal for group everyday.
3) Everyone went to same park on same day.
4) Although didn't have to stay together, usually did.
5) Made a list of everyone's 3-MUST rides.
6) Made sure trip plans covered all MUST rides.
7) Let everyone self-pace, but most still stayed.
8) Allowed ample "down time" opportunities.

NOTE: Although meals may not be importantvto some, we found that by eating together we got to talk about the day coming as well as the day passed. It was a great time for "quality" time with each other. We found out how much we actually got along!