PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Concierge

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
08-16-2002, 10:55 PM
This will be our first time doing concierge service. How much and when should you tip them? Has everyone had positive experiences with doing concierge? Thanks for all the help!
D,D&D

PresidentMouse
08-17-2002, 02:22 AM
Maybe I'm crazy graemlins/crazy.gif but I thought that you weren't supposed to tip the concierge staff. I believe they are supposed to refuse it or something. I think I read it somewhere but I'm not sure. I have my handy dandy Birnbaum's Guide to Walt Disney World here and am frantically searching for the answer, because I think that's where I read it. I'll be searching other sites because I swear I read it somewhere. I think I'll go crazy if I don't know the answer. If I find out anything I'll make sure to post another message. graemlins/mickey.gif

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
08-17-2002, 10:53 AM
PresidentMouse: Thanks for helping us out! :D

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
08-18-2002, 09:48 PM
I just read here on Intercot that the concierge staff are not to take tips of any kind. We want to tip ours. He has been so helpful to us. I hope that we can. smile.gif

BrerGnat
08-18-2002, 10:39 PM
We tipped ONE of the concierge staff, who went over and above and provided a truly genuine experience for us.

We gave it to him in the form of a "thank you" card, that we picked up at one of the stores in Downtown Disney.

We hid some money in it, and handed the card to him just as we got into the elevator to leave the hotel. We have no idea what he did with the money, so I can't tell you if they're not "supposed" to take tips or not, but we did it.

PresidentMouse
08-19-2002, 01:44 AM
See I knew I read it somewhere. Thanks for letting me know I didn't go crazy. But yeah I also agree that if they go above and beyond the call of duty then hey why not tip them. So yeah why not go for it.

T-Land Gal
08-19-2002, 02:25 PM
Concierge CMs (and other CMs as well) are not supposed to take tips. Any tips they do receive, they are required to report to their Managers, and it is either put into a fund for Cast recognition, or it is given to a Charity.

kdibattista
08-19-2002, 02:59 PM
I have never had the experience of concierge but I do recall on a previous post that people would not tip "money" but rather bring a gift of some sort.

Gotta Love the TTA
08-19-2002, 03:15 PM
bring a gift of some sort.
the operative word here is bring .

A WDW employee does not want or need a Mickey key chain, or Minnie coffee cup, or Eeyore dish towel. As cute as you think they are, a CM can get that any day.

It seems to me that they would appreciate something from your hometown. I'm from KC, and I would consider BBQ sauce, or a small picture book, or something having to do with sunflowers (I'm on the Kansas side).

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
08-19-2002, 11:09 PM
graemlins/thumbsup.gif That is a totally awesome idea! I have to find something unique from my home town, or state. It will actually be fun to do and be a more sincere gift. I love challenges!! THANKS for your help! :D

Goofster
08-20-2002, 10:29 AM
What about bellhops? At the Wilderness Lodge we tipped out bellhops that loaded our luggage, etc. They never refused the tip. :confused:

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
08-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Goofster: I have always tipped the bellhops too. They can except tips and so does mousekeeping. I tip $1.00 per bag. And mousekeeping: $2.00 per person per day. smile.gif It's the concierge staff that can't exept gifts of money.