PDA

View Full Version : Resort Hopping?

Jar Jar Dinks
08-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Is traveling around and seeing all of the different resorts fun to do? Or is it just a big pain in the you know where because of the time consumption. And another quick question what ever happend to Discovery Island on Bay Lake? That place looked so cool.

Diamondgirl
08-11-2002, 02:15 AM
Resort hopping can be a lot of fun and a great way to do resort hunting for your next trip. However, it can be a little challenging. An easy way to see the Poly, GF, and the Contemp is to take a bus to the MK and hop on the monorail. You can also take a boat from the MK to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Campground.

Port Orleans FQ and RS can be accessed by boat from Downtown. You can get to any resort by taking a bus from your resort to any of the parks or downtown and transferring to that hotels bus (a little time consuming).

Or...say your staying at Coronado Springs....it's only a $6 cab ride to the Board Walk. You are then in walking distance to the Swan and Dolphin and the Yacht and Beach Club.

Which ever resort you are staying in your Concierge, Bell Services or Front Desk should be able to let you in on the best way to get to certain hotels. :D

WDW crazy
08-11-2002, 03:01 AM
Resort hopping is one of my favorite non park things to do!

Tinkerbellfan
08-11-2002, 11:46 AM
I love resort hoping. I love to go and see the other resorts so I can dream of where I want to stay next.

We always coordinate resort hoping with other activities. For instance, I make a PS for dinner at Citricos at the Grand Floridan. I arrive on the monorail a bit early and check out the Polynesian, The Contemporary and then the Grand Floridan. Or I plan to eat at BOMA and arrive early to check out Animal Kingdom Lodge. I wouldn't advise checking out every one of the 20 something resorts but some are worth the trip.

AndrewJackson
08-11-2002, 11:53 AM
We always try and do this for a rainy evening activity. We usually will got to each of the MK resorts on the monorail, grab a bite to eat and maybe a drink. The kids always want to spend some quarters at the Cont. game room also. We really enjoy it.

Discovery Island was close down a few years ago. It was a neat place, and had some great bird shows. But since the opening of AK, Disney must have decided to move all of the birds to AK.

Friskies now sponors the petting zoo at FW.

harlowandthemermaid
08-11-2002, 12:24 PM
A good way to explore the Epcot area resorts is to leave Epcot via the international gateway and within a short walk you are at the Beach club(and yacht club) You can stop by beaches and cream for ice cream and check out Stormalong bay...and if your feet are feeling up to it you can walk all the way around and check out the Boardwalk too(the Swan and Dolphin are also close by) To get back to your resort just take a bus to DTD(if Epcot is already closed) and then transfer to your resorts bus. I stayed at the All stars on my last trip and we did this several times. I might add that there is a lot less traffic leaving Epcot through the international gateway.
With any of the resorts(other than monorail resorts) just take that resorts bus from a park, and in the evening you can always take a DTD bus to eventually find your way "home"(that is if you don't have a car with you)

Flower
08-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Resort hopping is truly an experience itself, without the Disney rush. It is a tranquil way to spend part of your day. Each resort has so many different things to offer from the value resorts to the delux.

All 3 All Star resorts and their larger than life themes are awe inspiring - from the giant characters to the huge footballs. I can't wait to check out Pop Century when it opens!

The moderate resorts each offer something different and there is such a great feeling offered by each of them. CBR and the beach walking, POR & the trails, Coronado and the boardwalk/pools.

YBC,WL,BW all offer so many different things. I love the BW - there is so much to do there! Turn the corner and there are so many restaraunts/shopping. WL again is tranquil and offers some personal history into Walt's passion -his personal train set; the shopping/restaraunt is great there too! YBC is a wonderful experience - the shipwreck pool is a must see.

Poly,GF,Cont all offer that true Disney nostalgia. The shopping is great, the restaraunts are top notch and the atmosphere keeps you coming back.

AKL - have not visited but I do have 3 nights booked there in November!

I have left others out as I have notvivisted them, or it has been a really long time since I was there (FW). I may just have to get all of them in for this upcoming trip!

HooksLeftHand
08-11-2002, 03:46 PM
As kids, mom used to take us resort hopping while dad went golfing. It's a fun, cheap, low-stress activity! Maybe a good idea is to be selective about which resorts you go to, either a few you REALLY want to see, or a few that are in the same area....take it easy, it's a nice way to "recharge" on an off-day before hitting the parks again!

DisneyDudet
08-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Resort hopping is really fun... Thats how we found out about Boardwalk.. we took a little tour of it and I fell in love w/ it.... in fact... we stayed there for my graduation present this past June... i love it there.... and we've looked at YC/BC, WL, GF, The All Star Resorts, CS, OKW, Swan/Dolphin..... its just a cool way to resort shop for the next trip... or just to dream.. like i did... but my dream came true... 2 weeks at WDW... a week and a half at FW and 3 nights at BW!!!!! the best place i ever stayed!! I always loved looking at hotels...... even when i was younger. graemlins/mickey.gif

Erlesgirl
08-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Great thing to do especially at the holidays when the parks close early. Each resort has different themes, trees,lights and decorations.

wdw538884
08-11-2002, 04:58 PM
graemlins/thumbsup.gif It is alot of fun to go from resort to resort and take in all of the theming. I too, agree that it is a great way to resort shop for your next visit. If you get the chance to do so, then deinatly visit as many as you can.