PDA

View Full Version : Valet Parking for Dummies

astronomyboy1
06-23-2002, 07:12 PM
OK, I admit I've never done this before so I know nothing about it. What happens: you give your keys to somebody and they disappear with your car? Do they come back with the keys? When do they get tipped? HELP!!

AB1

Jeff
06-23-2002, 10:12 PM
Although not an expert ( I like to know where my car is in case I need anything from it) I have done this a few times. You leave your car with the valet and they drive it out to the parking lot. They then give you a piece of identification. When you come back to get your car you give them the ID and they go and get your car for you. You tip when they bring the car back – not when they take it to park.

However, I have read recently that the resorts with valet parking are now charging you $6 for the service. It used to be “free”.

bemster
06-23-2002, 10:29 PM
Although you are supposed to tip when they bring the car back, you may want to think about giving the valet a little something when you give the keys to him/her so they take good care of your car. smile.gif

Disneypro
06-24-2002, 12:25 AM
I've said it before...the valets are the most underappreciated CMs at WDW. If you need directions or a bit of info, a lot of the time these are the guys who can get it done. This is what I had to say about one of the valets at the Wilderness Lodge a couple of weeks ago:

When we left Boma the sky was really scary looking. We're talking four horsemen of the apocalypse scary. We learned that the entire property was on a weather alert and that it was hailing in the Magic Kingdom. So we headed to the lodge to get coats and while we were there Angel, who is the sweetest valet going, called all the checkpoints between the lodge and PI to see what we should expect. It was raining at PI so he gave us umbrellas so we could weather the storm and meet the gang.

Note to Eisner:
Again with the underappreciated valet thing. Just so you know, it is moments like these that keep us coming back to WDW. See what a caring CM and a couple of cheap umbrellas can do. See ya in a few months!!

As to the tipping, I always pass the valet a couple of bucks when I drop off and when Ipick it up. The valet will ask you your name and give you a receipt for the car. When he or she gives me the receipt, that's when I slip 'em a couple of bucks. They will park the car and the keys will be placed in an envelope at the valet stand. When you come back for the car, just hand the valet dispatcher the slip and they will have someone get the car for you. Just before I get in, again I slip the valet a couple of dollars. Two things to keep in mind...
A. - Be sure to get a valet parking pass the first time you use the valet that day. Once you pay for the day, it's good at all valet stands. They will give you a card that changes color daily to hang from the rearview mirror so the other valets know that you paid that day.

B.- If you are staying at a hotel that has valet services, it is much easier just to call down a couple of minutes ahead and have the car waiting when you get there. This is especially great when it is hot, most times they will turn on the A/C and the car will be cooled off graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Nana
06-24-2002, 09:40 AM
I agree-The bellman and valet guys are awesome. I almost missed a space shuttle launch one time. They reminded me and showed me the best place at the hotel to watch. graemlins/muscles.gif
They know directions to just about anything you need. graemlins/clappy.gif
We always valet park just because we feel it is easier. Being DVC members we do get the advantage of free valet parking. We do tip both when we drop the car off and when they bring it back to us.

astronomyboy1
06-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the tips. Now I won't feel like a complete dolt graemlins/blush.gif

AB1