PDA

View Full Version : Christmas @ the World

SouthernmostGopher
09-01-2002, 11:08 PM
Which resort is the most festive during the holiday season? Thinking about going up Dec 20th till the 26th. I would like to know which resort offers the best holiday experience?
Thanks,
Sheri

42 days till our family adventure. graemlins/clappy.gif :D

harlowandthemermaid
09-02-2002, 08:32 AM
I think that the Grand has the best holiday decorations! The tree in the lobby is enormous and they have carolers singing and the band playing upstairs on the balcony....There is also a big gingerbread house, which is actually a shop, and you can buy edible gingerbread houses and edible ornaments etc. There are lots of other decorations and white lights outside, they had reindeer made of white lights too....it was amazing....I have to admit that I didn't think that much of Wilderness lodge's decorations after seeing the Grand's all week but some will say they like WL the best during the holidays. I would highly recommend staying at the GRand in december!

Sweezy
09-02-2002, 09:34 AM
I will concur with the Grand Floridian being the most festive...second place for me would be Yacht Club. (they used to have a christmas store prop in the lobby where an old man would read the Polar Express, but they did not have it last year)

AmyKane
09-02-2002, 01:56 PM
Here is another vote for the Grand Floridian. The Christmas tree is magnificent. I also love the real gingerbread house. They also have Christmas carolers throughout the day. The whole experience is wonderful and really puts you in the Christmas mood. I can't wait to go back again.

Jeff Handshaw 100+visits
09-02-2002, 02:06 PM
We always stop there on our way to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.

They even have chestnuts roasting on an open fire out front.

The tree is stupendous!

I must see.

All the special events were scaled back last year due to 911, but it seems that they will be brought back bigger than ever this year after reading about Epcot's Food and Wine Festival.

GrandFlo
09-02-2002, 03:35 PM
Of course my vote goes to the GF :D

SouthernmostGopher
09-02-2002, 11:28 PM
Do the concierge rooms at the GF have Christmas trees in them? I seem to recall seeing someones pictures at the GF and a normal size tree.

aleve
09-03-2002, 12:01 AM
ewh, ewh, ewh :eek: , Mr. Cotter.....

I have no answers, but would love to hear if the concierge rooms have a tree in them (especially because we are staying in one!).

SouthernmostGopher
09-03-2002, 12:32 AM
That would just be the icing on the cake!! graemlins/clappy.gif

Nink
09-03-2002, 02:35 PM
Everything Disney at Christmas is grand!

The Beach Club also has a gingerbread carousel in their lobby. It smells so wonderful. And I understand that the Institute also has a gingerbread item.

As far as the Christmas tree in the room, I can't say anything for the concierge rooms per se, however, I did read in the Disney Magazine that anyone can have a tree for their room at an additional cost. They will even box it up so that you can take it home with you!

The last three years I have arrived on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The decorations are up and are just beautiful! What an exciting time of year. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ September 03, 2002, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Nink ]

WDWLori
09-03-2002, 09:20 PM
All of the hotels are beautiful at Christmas. I just love how the unique theming of each hotels is extended to the holiday decor as well. You can have a Victorian Christmas, a Polynesian Christmas, a Wilderness Christmas, a Safari Christmas, a New England Christmas, etc. The great part about going at this time is the weather. It's a little cooler. I remember wearing winter coats in WDW one Christmas. We had left New York at the weather was like 30 degrees and we couldn't leave our coats in the car, so we took them with us. Good thing we did, when we got down to WDW it was like 50 degrees. I also remember going one Christmas and MGM had some of the balloons from the Macy*s Thanksgiving parade on display on NY Street. It was nice to see a little piece of home at WDW. My family and I go to NYC to the parade every year.

frakers
09-04-2002, 06:14 AM
No question, hands down and without a doubt, the Wilderness Lodge is by far the best looking resort during Christmas. The theming already makes it the most beautiful resort at WDW, but add the Christmas touch and it becomes absolutley spectacular. No matter if it's 80 degrees outside or cooler, as soon as you walk in and see the decorations you feel like you are in a snow covered lodge. The huge tree is amazing. The fullest, best looking in all the resorts (yes, I've seen all the resorts' trees). The fire in the lobby makes you just want to sit there, even though it is 80 degrees outside. Even if you're not staying there you HAVE to drop by and see it. You'll change your mind about the best looking.
Yes, the GF is done nicely and is very upscale decorated, but the WL has a special winter feel to it that really makes you feel like Christmas.

valjane
09-04-2002, 08:38 AM
I also have to vote for WL here. The cozy, woodsy atmosphere and fireplace in the lobby-- along with huge Christmas tree-- make it perfect for the holidays!

SouthernmostGopher
09-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Hmmmm. Maybe I need to look into WL. Does anyone have any pictures of the resorts at Christmas they would like to share? I wonder what the theme at AKL will be since this is their 1st Christmas.
Thanks for the replies.
somogo (aka Sheri)

39 days till Dole Whips. graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

Pixie Dust
09-04-2002, 07:46 PM
My first choice is GF and a very close second is WL. I have raved about how wonderful the resorts are for so many years to my family. And it has finally paid off... my mom is going down with me this December to see if it for herself!!

SouthernmostGopher
09-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Well DH and I compromised for 2 days at the AKL and 3 days at WL. I couldn't think of a more magical place to spend a family Christmas. Thanks for all the tips.
somogo (aka Sheri)

36 days till It's a small world after all!!!

graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/silly.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/silly.gif

harlowandthemermaid
09-10-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by SouthernmostGopher:
Well DH and I compromised for 2 days at the AKL and 3 days at WL. I couldn't think of a more magical place to spend a family Christmas. Thanks for all the tips.
somogo (aka Sheri)

36 days till It's a small world after all!!!

graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/silly.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/silly.gif Be sure to stop by and at least see the Grands decorations and listen to the carolers....We actually had planned to stay half the trip at GF and half at WL and we got to WL and BF was so disappointed that we switched back over to GF...it was the best decision we made all trip!