PDA

View Full Version : Universal Hotels

imported_PolyGirl40
01-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey Gang.

We are considering tacking a day or 2 onto our December vacation in order to tour Universal and Islands of Adventure, as per the requests of our children.

My teenager would really like to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel. Do you think of the 3 available it would be the best for kids? Money is not an issue -- I want my boys to enjoy the hotel.

Also -- Could you explain how the front- of-the-line works. I know you gain access to the front of the wait lines. However -- If we check in on Saturday evening and check out on Monday morning would we have the ability to use front-of-the-line on our checkout day?

EDIT: Ooops - One more question. graemlins/blush.gif

Does Universal store your luggage after you checkout, like they do at the Disney Resorts?

[ January 17, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

Jennib
01-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Hi Polygirl....

I think that if you want the boys to have a lot of fun I would chose the Hard Rock. The Royal Pacific and the Portofino Bay are lovely but the boys will like the Hard rock better. They even have the music pumped underwater!!! Yes the hotel will allow you to store your luggage. They will give you this green slip of paper with your name and then when you return you have to supply that slip.
As for the "Front-of-the-line"access, If you are a guest of a Universal Resort, you are able to go the front of the line. All you have to do is show your room key and they allow you to go to the front on the Express line. This will really come in handy on rides such as Spiderman, hulk or MIB(very cool BTW).
This is a great feature especially durning the summer or holiday times when the rides have 2hour waits!!!
You made a great choice....
BTW...I have a Universal video and brochure if you want me to send it to you...just email me!!!

faline
01-17-2003, 11:25 AM
I just had the same question on front of the line access. In fact, I bought a Universal Guidebook last weekend (I'm in my office and don't have the name of it with me).

According to the book, front of the line access is available to you all day from the time you check in and remains available to you all day the day you check out.

As I understand it, there are two lines - with front of the line access, you enter the separate line (after showing your room key). You then are able to wait in a shorter line than the standby line. The guide states that ET actually has two front of the line access lines - one on the exterior of the building and one after you enter the interior.

Additionally, it recommends that you get a room key for each member of your party (I would guess this is so you could go on different rides if you wished).

According to this guide, front of the line access is also available to the general public if they access some machine in the park. Unlike Disney, though, you request a particular time you want to return rather than being asssigned a time to return.

We're planning to spend a couple of days at Universal in the not-too-distant future (but we won't be at the Hard Rock). It'll be part of my trip report when we return.

imported_PolyGirl40
01-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Jenni and Linda.

I'm all for lovely - but my kids want "interesting". graemlins/laughing.gif Plus my teen is a music junkie.

[ January 17, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

Tink1
01-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Hi Polygirl!

I am the mom of two teenage sons who love Universal and thier resorts. We stayed at the HRH last October and it is very nice. It is much more laid back than the Portofino. My 16 yr old hotel snob son did like Portofino better, as did I.

The Hard Rock rooms were VERY nice though, each had a CD player in the room so he can bring his favorite music to play if he likes. My son did like the fact that is was such a quick walk to the parks though, and said he would stay again there for that reason.

The pool area is very large and very nice. We ate at Sunset Grill the one evening, they had a magician that came and entertained the table while we waited. Food was good and plentiful.

We have some menu's and resort pictures on our website if you want a little preview.The link should be in my signature below.

Have a great time at HRH, I think you will like it.

Nanc

Triton 20
01-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Carol, after our trip to WDW last year we added on 2 nites at the Hard Rock.This was a surprise for my 17 year old daughter and her friend, they thought we were staying at Amerisuites, which I had originaly booked. The look on thier faces when pulled in was priceless.It was our first trip to Universal, and I was greatly impressed with this hotel and the front of line passes. The passes were like a fastpass to every attraction.By using these we easily saw everything we wanted to at Universal and IOA in our 2 day stay.Back to the Hard Rock.The hotel was great and the pool was neat.You can really hear the music underwater.The City Walk and the parks are a very comfortable walk from the hotel or there is a boat that will take you there.If we decide to go back to Uni/IOA, Hard Rock will definitly be where we will stay.

Peanut

imported_PolyGirl40
01-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Tink1:

We have some menu's and resort pictures on our website if you want a little preview.I headed right to your pictures last night when the family discussion came up. I didn't see the menus. I will certainly head back over.

My kids are also hotel snobs. They get it from their Mom. graemlins/blush.gif I'll have to show my 16 y/o your photos. I think it's more of an, "I've been there", kinda thing for him. He saw the special on the Travel Channel and freaked. graemlins/silly.gif

Thanks, Nanc.