PDA

View Full Version : Split our Stay or too much hassle?

Minnesota Dis
01-23-2003, 10:03 AM
We are considering splitting our stay between two resorts - POR and possibly Wilderness Lodge. We will be in Disney 8 nights. Is it worth splitting or is it too much work and will it take too much time from the parks? Thanks for any input!

spiceypj
01-23-2003, 10:05 AM
I love to split - but I will amend to being strange - this trip I am splitting between OKW and the All stars. So I would say yes!

big blue and hairy
01-23-2003, 11:31 AM
Splitting between two resorts is very easy. Disney will transfer your bags for you. When you get to your new hotel, just call the luggage service and they will deliver it to your room.

faline
01-23-2003, 01:02 PM
I prefer to settle in, unpack, and stay put.

Piglet's Pal
01-23-2003, 04:07 PM
We've done it twice and won't do it again. We used to think it was a good way to sample different resorts but our feelings have changed. Even though Disney will transfer your luggage, you still have to pack everything up, and then unpack at your new hotel. In addition, you may find yourself in a long line waiting to check in once you get to your new hotel. This of course takes time away from being in the parks or enjoying the resorts themselves. smile.gif

tinkerbella27
01-23-2003, 04:09 PM
We just got back and we switched resorts halfway through. We felt like we were rushed at the first resort, like we couldn't fully enjoy it. Also, we liked our first resort better than the second, so the second half of the trip we were wishing we were back at the first. :( I say give it a try once and see if you like it. We won't do it again, but it would have always been appealing had we not tried it.

WDW Addict
01-23-2003, 04:49 PM
We have split our stay twice and loved it! This last time we stayed the same number of nights at each resort and felt like we were getting the best of two worlds. We started at the CT and then went to the BW and Disney took care of everything for us. The only hitch was having to check in at the BW but we just had 1 person go check in and the rest of us stayed at the park.

Jeff
01-23-2003, 05:22 PM
We have also split our last two stays. Last year from AKL to BC. Had a rental car so I took stuff while rest went to Epcot. I then checked in and walked to Epcot through the International Gateway. Last month we split between the Swan and the Contemporary. No rental car and since the Swan is not technically a WDW hotel there was no bell service to take the luggage. I got a towncar that was waiting out from. Cost $16. Checked out at 8:30 and had our luggage stored and checked in at the CT by 9:05. My family had taken the bus to MK. I walked over from the CT and beat them there.

So, all that to say, I don't mind switching and we find it an excellent way to experience more resorts. Only draw back has been repacking.

ChipnDaleGal
01-23-2003, 07:09 PM
We split for the first time last summer. It was a nice way to experience a more expensive hotel. We stayed at AKL for 4 nights and then transferred to Port Orleans. It went very well. Luggage transfer was very easy. We went onto a park that day and then just caught the bus to the new hotel that evening. It is a great way to check out a hotel you are curious about. I think we may do again sometime.

wdwfan
01-23-2003, 08:41 PM
We're spliting too! 3 nights at Poly and 4 at GF. I've learned to pack the first days in my carry on, that way I don't have to unpack everything when doing the transfer.

Bella
01-23-2003, 09:51 PM
WE just did it... We stayed a week at the Contemporary and a week at the Polynesian.... It was great experiencing two resorts but I am not sure if I will do it again. It kinda sucked having to pack in the middle of our vacation. I flet like I was leaving.
BTW the Polynesian ROCKS!!!!! The contemporary is ok.... but the POLYNESIAN ROCKS!!!

Disney24Seven
01-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by faline:
I prefer to settle in, unpack, and stay put. I totally agree, I hate to even pack to go home let alone having to do it more than once. It just seems like a hassle to me and time better spent doing something fun!!!!! graemlins/mickey.gif

miffyskates
01-24-2003, 08:25 PM
We're just back from a split-resort stay and we won't be splitting again. We found out we like to settle in and not be bothered with packing again 1/2-way through. We also fell in love with AKL, so now we don't want to stay anywhere else! This eliminates the question entirely!

--miffy--
graemlins/mickey.gif

TinkerbelleRoo
01-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Hi,

On a trip a few years back my family had split our stay, not out of choice but because neither hotel was availible the complete length of stay. My parents had chosen two favorites, the Polynesian and The Yacht and Beach.

All in all, I think you are better off staying put at one. You only have to unpack once and you don't have to then go through another checkin/checkout.

The only good thing about it is we did MK during our Polynesian part of our stay and did MGM and Epcot while staying at Yacht and Beach which only really boiled down to transportation time. Not really worth it in the long run.

graemlins/mickey.gif

Minnesota Dis
01-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all of the comments..... I think we will just stay in one place - POR, and just visit some others to see if we want to stay somewhere else on a future trip. We tend to spread out when we are staying somewhere so packing up would be time consuming and would take time away from the parks. This is our 2nd trip - 1st trip on property so we're very excited!

disneynarula
01-25-2003, 12:20 PM
I agree with staying put unless you are going for more than a week!! Have a great trip. POR is my favorite resort!!

Jared
01-25-2003, 12:24 PM
I agree with your decision. It just seems like too much hassle and trouble. Port Orleans Riverside is a great resort. You'll have no desire to switch anyway. ;)

Auntie
01-25-2003, 01:58 PM
We have done this twice and once it worked out fine..going from a moderate resort to a deluxe.
The second time was changing deluxe resorts.
We were actually dissapointed in the second deluxe hotel and tranferred back to the first!(with a little help from management). My advice would be if you have enough days..at least 10..is the only time I would consider breaking it up again. I think if you have 5 days at each resort it would be fine to experience another resort. Personally, what we do now is visit the other resorts for dining and entertainment, to get the feel of the place and stay with what we know we love (Wilderness Lodge..so far!) If I had a good rate on Poly..I would go with that also.

Disney-4-Me
01-25-2003, 02:06 PM
I have already made the commitment to split on our next vacation. I hope to be getting the best of two worlds. When I took one of my sons in October we had to split out of necessity, we couldn't get a room at the Contemporary for all 3 night. We only stayed at the Beach Club for one night and arrived late so we didn't really experience the unpacking and repacking that it seems most people feel is the downside of splitting. But we enjoyed the experience, so.....

We are going to try it, 4 nights at the Contemporary then 4 at the Polynesian and I'll be writing a trip report afterwards with our experiences. For us, I don't think it will be too much of a hassle.

Horizon93
01-25-2003, 04:03 PM
We will be splitting for the first time this Summer. 5 at POFQ and 5 at CBR. I am looking forward to it. CBR is an old favorite and POFQ will be new to us. It will add to the whole experience. Each resort is different, so our experiences should be different and that sounds like fun to me!