PDA

View Full Version : Best Disney Resorts for Couples

faberj
06-04-2003, 11:40 AM
I am planning a trip next Dec. 2004 or early Jan. 2005. What resports are best for a newly married couple without children.
Thanks. graemlins/mickey.gif

winky
06-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Depending on what you what to spend and do, I would say:

Grand Floridian: Quiet, luxurious, and very romantic

Polynesian: A quintessential tropical resort. Lots of fun stuff to do like drink tropical drinks on the beach and watch fireworks

Yacht Club: Great pool and location, yet still very grown up. Lots of nice restaurant options on the boardwalk.

These are some of the most expensive resorts on property. Cheaper options would be WL, AKL, or one of the moderates. There will be kids everywhere, but I think these resorts have what you are looking for.

darthmacho
06-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Great question, I couldn't resist giving my humble opinion. :D I think WDW offers a lot of great resorts for two newly married adults without children. My wife and I had the exact same dilemma when chosing a honeymoon spot in 1998. I think the best thing to do is to chose the theme that best suits your personalities (and budget!). My wife and I chose the Wilderness Lodge because we love the outdoors, but we aren't exactly rustic, whic is why we chose WL over say, Fort Wilderness. We like quiet over action, which is why we chose WL over say, the Boardwalk. I think you can do the same!

Assuming romance is a priority as was with us, I was happy to see that WDW offers a plethora of romantic spots! Here's my assessment of the different resorts and what makes them romantic or not romantic in my opinion, keeping in mind that I've only visited most of these:

All Stars: NOT romantic, better for families.
Caribbean Beach: Colorful and tropical, but not too quiet.
Dixie Landings(Riverside): Sounds quiet and romantic.
Port Orleans(French Quarter): Sounds cool, but less romantic than DL
Coronado Springs: Very romantic, exotic feel, and pretty quiet mostly. Underrated!
Wilderness Lodge: Extremely quiet and romantic, especially if you love nature.
Contemporary: I'd say it's best if you had a view of the Magic Kingdom.
Grand Floridian: Extremely romantic if you like upscale.
Polynesian: A tropical paradise
Boardwalk: Romantic if you like the action
Yacht and Beach Club: Close to the action, but quieter.
Swan and Dolphin: Elegant, but a less "Disney" feel to it.

I hope this helped :confused: graemlins/laughing.gif

spiceypj
06-04-2003, 12:59 PM
I think Darth assumed up your choices quiet well - it depends upon what you think is romantic.

don't mark out the deluxes because of costs - the DVC resorts can be rented from a DVC members and that can bring your cost down alot - BCV, VWL, BWV and OKW -

I happen to love the setting of VWL/WL - I think these are some of the most romantic places at WDW - so do alot of honeymooners they were second place after the Polyn. the Polyn is very romantic - the torches are lite at night and they go through out the resort and on the beach.

gregf71
06-04-2003, 03:34 PM
All of my most recent WDW visits have been as part of a couple. Our first trip together took us to the All Star Sports Resort...inexpensive, but not romantic in any way at all. Lots of families and lots of noise, which is fine, but not if you want a little romantic couple time.

The next two visits we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and it was wonderful!!! Isolated couches and fireplaces offered themselves to us above the lobby, where we kicked back together, relaxed by the fire and listened to the music from below us. More than a few times, we would grab a couple chairs on the beach at night and just look up at the stars. There are two primary restaurants at the WL: Whispering Canyon Cafe and Artists Point. WCC is a wonderful place to eat. Very fun! AP is VERY nice and VERY good!

For our honeymoon in 2001, we stayed at the Beach Club Resort and loved it there too!!! The absolute best thing about it was its location. Walking distance to Epcot and short boat ride to Disney Studios. Also, the Boardwalk Resort was just across the way. The ambiance of the BC is very soothing. The pool is great. And at night, everything there is so beautiful.

If you are going in December, then my vote is for the Wilderness Lodge! The decorations and the overall ambiance is amazing.

[ June 04, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: gregf71 ]

ColorAndLight
06-04-2003, 06:08 PM
The Animal Kingdom Lodge! The cuisine, the quiet savannas, the lobby, the REMOTE location... Very romantic, warm low-key lighting in the rooms. Low key lighting all around. Pleasant evening strolls.

Jiko. Boma. Need I say more?

Why does everyone always forget about this extraordinary resort!

Figment78
06-04-2003, 06:16 PM
As others have said - many resorts have a romantic feel. It's the feeling of being blissfully happy without concerns that just brings out the romance in everyone!

When my DH & I were looking for a honeymoon spot, we had a hard time choosing between the Polynesian, WL, and the AKL. I've never been to the moderates so I can't help you there. We ended up at the WL but visited the AKL. It definately had more kids, but was VERY romantic. You can't go wrong with either of them. We also had dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse and so we visited the Beach & Yacht club resorts too. Very romantic, but again, lots of kids (at least at Beach club). I vote for the WL - especially in December!

disneynarula
06-04-2003, 06:33 PM
I would go for anything but the All Stars. Port Orleans is a nice moderate with a romantic feel.

crumbs
06-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Until this trip, we've always gone as just a couple (we're older first-time parents of a now 4-year-old).

We love the Grand but of course it's right next to the MK. As a couple, we spent very little time at that park so it really wasn't as convenient as it might have been. But it is lovely and you'll find lots of other honeymooners there as well as an older adult crowd. (In fact I was in my early 30's when we went & I remember feeling almost too young there!)

We also stayed at the Yacht & really liked it. We spent lots more of our time at Epcot (especially the Rose & Crown!) and it was wonderful just to be able to walk around some hedges and be right there! That was really wonderful late in the evening.

This trip with our little guy we stayed at the Poly. It was very nice, too. There's also a "quiet" pool which didn't have as many children. The walks & beach are really lovely at night--though it may be a bit chilly in January.

Our favorite stay was several years ago at the Institute. At the time there were no kids there under 12 (pretty wild for WDW, huh?) I understand that's being refurbished now and isn't available.

Anyway, have a wonderful honeymoon!!

Debi

mickclub1955
06-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by ColorAndLight:
The Animal Kingdom Lodge! The cuisine, the quiet savannas, the lobby, the REMOTE location... Very romantic, warm low-key lighting in the rooms. Low key lighting all around. Pleasant evening strolls.

Jiko. Boma. Need I say more?

Why does everyone always forget about this extraordinary resort! I totally agree with this post. Get a Savanna view room and it is very romantic. My wife did not want to leave the room or the resort. It has an exotic feel to it and all I can say is awesome. Disney really out did themselves with this resort. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Tinkerbellfan
06-04-2003, 09:40 PM
Hi-

I agree with everything voted for The Wilderness Lodge. It is very romantic and relaxing.

My boyfriend (27) and I went in February and are headed back in October. There is nothing better than relaxing in the hot tubs at night, then finding one of the hidden fire places throughout the lodge and relaxing with a glass of wine on a very comfortable leather couch!

Mickey for President
06-09-2003, 07:52 PM
We just got back from an anniversary weekend w/o the kids. We stayed at Riverside and it was very romantic. Yes, this is WDW so there will be kids there but you really didin't notice them except at the main pool and the food court. We took nice long romantic walks throughout the resort and loved it! We even decided the kids would love it too, so we will be taking them soon!!

brownie
06-10-2003, 09:42 AM
The Beach Club would be a good choice; we stayed there for our honeymoon. We'd stay there again, but it's a little out of our budget. Port Orleans French Quarter is nice too, but but Riverside offers more stuff.

Minnie824
06-18-2003, 10:12 AM
I would have to say the Yacht Club. For our honeymoon, we debated between YC and GF, and ended up choosing a suite at YC and loved it! We walked to the Boardwalk and Epcot almost every day. And we even walked to MGM pretty quickly. Having no kids, we didn't spend as much time at MK and it was nice being able to take our time and have so much to do so close. Have fun!

faline
06-18-2003, 10:18 AM
My first choice would be the Poly - torchlit walkways; white, sandy beach with views of the Magic Kingdom; and lush, tropical vegetation everywhere you look.

My runner up is Wilderness Lodge - soaring fireplaced lobby; quiet nooks and crannies to sit; and deep woods atmosphere. Especially lovely in December when the holiday decorations are up.

disneykim
06-18-2003, 06:25 PM
We stayed at the WL for our honeymoon and loved it. I can't think of a place I would have rather been.

valjane
06-18-2003, 11:36 PM
I would say anywhere but the All Stars. Though my boyfriend and I stayed in All Star Movies and got the Herbie the Love Bug building-- that's probably as romantic as you can get!! graemlins/rotfl.gif

wdwleigh
06-19-2003, 12:23 PM
I haven't stayed there (but I'm staying for 7 nights in Sept 2003)- in one of the books I have on WDW it says that PO- Riverside is the "Grand Floridian for lovers on a budget" (or something close to that). It is supposed to be one of the most romantic resorts (as far as a moderate resort) unless $$ doesn't matter and then I guess I would choose the GF.