PDA

View Full Version : WL Flag Family

MauiMouse
06-28-2003, 09:05 PM
What are your experiences with being a Flag Family. How easy to become a Flag Family?

We will be spending 9 nights at WL and was wondering if we would have a chance to become a Flag Family, even though we would be renamed that day to Flag Friends :D as I am traveling with 2 other ladies this trip. graemlins/mickey.gif

LuckyMum22
06-28-2003, 09:27 PM
We stayed at the WL for 7 nights in May. It is very easy to be a flag family! When we checked in we asked if there were any mornings open for us to be the flag family and the CM grabbed their notebook and found they were all booked up for every day except for the morning we were checking out! She wrote our names in and we received a letter under our door the night before telling us what time to be at the desk. When we arrived we met up with Stan. He is the "Park Ranger" who conducts the daily tours and answers any questions about the lodge itself. What an amazing guy! He just turned 70 years old during our visit and he climbed those 68 steps with no complaints! What a great experience it was for our kids to recite the pledge after raising the flag on our last morning. Talking with Stan was very memorable for our family and the pictures are awesome from the roof! Try to get your name in as soon as you get up to the desk to check in and be sure to get an opportunity to be the flag family or ..friends! Even if you are traveling without kids it is truly a memorable moment that is exclusively Disney! graemlins/mickey.gif

SgtTigger
06-29-2003, 01:26 PM
We were flag family in Nov of 2002 It was great. We also got to do this on the day we were leaving. Stan led us up the stairs and the view was great. Dont forget your camera..... I step the video camera on a tri-pod and let it run. We took a ton of pics.
It may be a problem getting to be flag family though it is well known. We tried on 3 trips till we got it. Just check when you check in....
graemlins/doubleeek.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

beth
06-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Defintely want to get your name in as soon as possible. Even during "slow" period, it can book up pretty well. I asked about it on a Thursday and the earliest we could get in was the following Tuesday. Again, this was during the "slow" period in September 2001.

mickeefan
06-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Did I understand correctly that there are 68 steps to climb?

LuckyMum22
06-29-2003, 04:08 PM
68 steps...YEP! Stan counts them every morning! You take the elevator up to the top floor (7th floor-concierge) then Stan leads you to the stairs! :eek:

mickey23
06-30-2003, 01:19 PM
We were the flag family in March 2003. We asked immediately at check in if there where any days available for the flag family. We stayed for 8 nights and they did not have an opening until day 7. Tip - ask at check in.

It was great and ranger stan was even better.

donald-doc
06-30-2003, 08:04 PM
What time does this take place?

I hope not sunrise!

mickey23
06-30-2003, 08:53 PM
I think it started at 8am. It is well worth it.