PDA

View Full Version : Info on Pop Century?

jcbsews
07-30-2003, 10:17 AM
I am not able to get a AAA rate at All Star Movies (my first choice!) but for the dates we will be at Disney (December 19th - 29th... Yeah, I know it'll be crazy at Christmas but I'm really looking forward to it!) we can get AAA at either AS Music or Pop Century. According to the Disney site, Pop Century opens on December 14th. Is this a good location? Good resort? Anybody have opinions about it? I planned to book at Movies anyway(we have APs so we may get a better than AAA rate there when the rates for December are announced) but I've always been a sucker for a brand new hotel (we were at the Royal Pacific last week two days after it opened at Universal). I look forward to your expert opinions on Pop Century!! :D

Beast_fanatic
07-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Welcome! graemlins/muscles.gif

I'd go for Pop Century for several reasons. First, as you said, it's new. Second, it's a bit more conveniently located than the All-Stars. And third, if Disney changes their minds (again) and decides not to open then you'll likely be offered upgrades to other resorts at a fantastic price. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jcbsews
07-30-2003, 12:39 PM
There are two different maps on the Disney website... One (the one at the resort planning pages) shows the Pop Century next to Carribean Beach, but closer to Epcot, and the other (downloadable, to print) shows it out at the far corner of the "block" that CB is on, closer to World Of Sports. Can anybody tell me which map is the correct one?

I'm looking forward to staying there in either case, but I don't want a surprise (I certainly hope it's closer in, but I figure it wouldn't be value if it was!)

pinkbunny4
07-30-2003, 01:50 PM
i dont kno that much about it, but i do kno thats rite next 2 CBR, it has a few themed pools, and 2 food courts and huge arcades, and it is in a good location...

graemlins/notworthy.gif steve graemlins/notworthy.gif

wdw_boy
08-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Hey, I'm leaving for WDW the 27th of December, and have already made reservations for Pop Century. So I as well am somewhat wary, and would appreciate any tips/info on this new resort. I think it will be nice to be in such a new hotel, and I hear the location is choice. Well, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mickclub1955
08-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by jcbsews:
There are two different maps on the Disney website... One (the one at the resort planning pages) shows the Pop Century next to Carribean Beach, but closer to Epcot, and the other (downloadable, to print) shows it out at the far corner of the "block" that CB is on, closer to World Of Sports. Can anybody tell me which map is the correct one?

I'm looking forward to staying there in either case, but I don't want a surprise (I certainly hope it's closer in, but I figure it wouldn't be value if it was!) It is on the side closest to World of Sports. In fact you can see it if you come into WDW off of the Osceola Pky on the right, right after you enter the WDW gates.

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
08-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Ditto what MickClub1955 said. We drove past it and mapped it out during our last two trips.

But the entrance is on Victory Way (the road from the WWSports to MGM/EPCOT). The Transportation guide map does not show the new traffic light nor PopC, but CBR does seem to proper scale. Those colorful "3-D" maps aren't as accurate as the flat Transportation guide map. The other year I saw one which showed CBR stretched out to take up all the land from Buena Vista Drive to Osceola Pkwy. Seems to me that it is evenly divided between CBR and PopC.

Anyhow, my point is, while you can see the 80's and 90's buildings (giant cell phone and rubik's cube) as you pass through the entrance to WDW on Osceola Pkwy, you have to turn right at the first light onto Victory Way and go down maybe 1/2 way until you get to the new traffic light at the new intersection that is the guest entrance/exit for PopC. So doesn't that make the resort "feel" closer to MGM and Epcot? Kinda like how Space Mountain in MK is outside the train tracks, but you enter/exit it from inside Tomorrowland. Know what I mean? And while I'm at it, I am reminded from the map that WWofS sits along I-4 and the entrance at Osceola Pkwy is at one end of a long road with WWofS at the other end. Looks like All Star Movies is closer to WWS!

Ok, now I've forgotton why I am mentioning any of this! graemlins/crazy.gif Let me just say that I wish we had this map on the first trip my girlfriend and I made last year - we wound up at WWS by following a sign for All Star (cafe) when we wanted All Star (sports). After a long day of driving and being 10PM, you can get mixed up! graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rice Eater
08-06-2003, 09:29 PM
How large is Pop Century compared to the All-Star Resorts?

paulsheri
08-06-2003, 09:35 PM
it has 5000 rooms, about 3 times bigger than all star

Diana Drnak
08-07-2003, 12:44 AM
We are also going to be there between Dec 26 thur Jan 3. Can't wait. I've been Missing the Disney feeling long enough. graemlins/mickey.gif

jcbsews
08-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Then stop by the food court and have a cup of hot chocolate with us... We will be getting in on December 19th (to get value season rates for our trip!) but will be there through the 29th! I'm getting happier and happier with the choice (two rooms here vs. deluxe elsewhere) and now to keep the nearly-7 year old from choking me to find out "WHERE are we going?" <GGGG>
graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif
What're you going to do next?
I'm going to Disney World!!!