PDA

View Full Version : Groceries

AmyKane
12-20-2002, 12:44 PM
I am starting to put things together for our first DVC trip coming up in February. I pulled the grocery list just to get an idea on what there is to choose from and I almost fell over regarding the prices. They are outrageous! I brought it to my husbands attention and he made me look at this way - we would be saving about $100.00 a day because we would eat in a lot.
My question...how many of you buy the food and actual stay in and cook? Is this worth it? I am definitely going to buy breakfast food especially for the baby - but I am not sure if we should spend the money for other things. Any feedback would be appreciated.

dlpmikki
12-20-2002, 02:52 PM
We sometimes get breakfast foods and often snacks to eat in (like a sandwich or salad from Gourmet Pantry at DD). We have never bought groceries through DVC - always stop off at somewhere like Publix (there is now one just by the Quality Outlets which is pretty close). If you don't have a car then it is worth getting a TownCar from the airport and having a grocery stop on the way to the resort - see the link to Happy Limo.

alliecat
12-20-2002, 03:19 PM
Hi, we were just at the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge two weeks ago and I had pre ordered groceries. I know some of the things were a little pricey but it was well worth it for us. I bought snacks, bread, milk, fruit and mostly breakfast stuff. Everything was put away in our kitchen when we checked in. I think that was another plus-I really didn't feel like grocery shopping after a 16 hour drive. It was well worth the money and we will use it again next trip. Have a great time, you will love staying at the villas.

Disney trips
Spring/1977- Contemporary
August/1989-CBR
August /1990-off property
June/1989-All Star Sports
Dec/2000-Wilderness Lodge
Dec/2001-Villas at Wilderness Lodge
Dec/2002-Villas at Wilderness Lodge
July/2004-Disney Cruise western 7day(already planning)

[ December 20, 2002, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: alliecat ]

ElenitaB
12-20-2002, 04:14 PM
We've usually have a grocery stop when using Ibex. However, our last trip we had rented a car. If you drive north out of the north exit from the Orlando airport, there are some grocery stores a few miles down the road. It was great to have breakfast in our room and snacks for when we came back.

We didn't use the DVC grocery list because they didn't have the types of items we usually use (i.e., low fat cream cheese, all fruit jams, etc.)

DonLefNY
12-21-2002, 10:50 AM
We bring some dry foods down in a suitcase that returns home full of WDW "stuff".

We also rent a vehicle at MCO and get to WDW via Route 417. We stop at the Super Target off Exit 11 and buy the rest of our groceries there. graemlins/beer.gif

spiceypj
12-23-2002, 12:54 PM
when you are tired and need to rest - the last thing I want to do is eat at a restuarant - also on days when it is raining - then the kitchen is great.

I also generally have breakfast their - sometimes lunch (I generally do the early entry - so I need a break around lunch time) or dinner.

Main Street Jim
12-24-2002, 12:18 PM
There's a Winn Dixie just up the street from DD/Hotel Plaza/Crossroads, which is MUCH, MUCH cheaper than Gooding's. It's only three stoplights up SR 535, less than two miles. From Hotel Plaza Blvd, turn left onto SR 535. Go to the third light at Lake Avenue; there's an ABC Liquor store on the corner. Behind the ABC is Winn Dixie.

After paying $3.75 for a pack 16 slices of cheese, I won't shop at Gooding's any more...LOL

TiggerRPh
12-24-2002, 02:03 PM
We only stock up on chips, soda, and juice for the kids. We never eat in the villa. I don't cook while on vacation!!

:D

Piglet822
12-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Main Street Jim:
There's a Winn Dixie just up the street from DD/Hotel Plaza/Crossroads, which is MUCH, MUCH cheaper than Gooding's. And from someone who is a Publix fan, there is a Publix in the opposite direction, south on 535 at the intersection of 535 and 192. Cheaper than Gooding's and pretty comparable to Winn Dixie.