PDA

View Full Version : Stormalong Bay at the Beach Club

gregf71
10-01-2001, 01:40 AM
Got any opinions on it? Is it worth enjoying?

------------------
1971 to present day - Disneyland - Too many times to mention

1993 - WDW - Off site,
1994 - EuroDisney - Hotel Santa Fe
1997 - WDW - All-Star Sports,
1998 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge,
2000 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge

Next trip - Honeymoon, October 2001 (Beach Club and the Disney Wonder)

SmartOne
10-01-2001, 08:24 AM
Hi Greg,

I just got back from a trip to WDW in August and stayed at the Beach Club for the second leg of my trip (first half at Poly). I loved Stormalong Bay! It is the best pool at WDW in my opinion....next to the new pool at the Poly. The Bay is divided into three pools which have sand on the bottom. It is way cool and Beaches and Cream is right around the corner as well if you want to grab a quick bite to eat or get an ice cream! Hopes this helps!

------------------
"In the future, packages will be sent to distant worlds through beams of light!"

JimmyC
10-01-2001, 11:59 AM
With Luna Park closed at the Boardwalk, we used Sormalong.

We loved it http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

Even the Boardwalk CM's say it's the best resort pool on Disney Property

------------------
I See Glittery People

MNNHFLTX
10-01-2001, 06:05 PM
We recently returned from a stay at the BC and while we loved Stormalong Bay we were a bit disappointed in our ability to use it. The first day it was totally closed because of rain left over from Tropical Storm Gabrielle. The next morning we were determined to use it only to find out it didn't open up until 10 a.m. The slide didn't end up being opened until 11:30 a.m. (the CM's kept saying something about not being able to find the key to the gate!) Stormalong Bay also closes at 8 p.m. Unlike many of the other resort pools you can only use Stormalong Bay when lifeguards are present and the pool is open. There is a quiet pool in BC too that is open 24 hours a day.

I don't mean to discourage use of Stormalong Bay--it is a great pool. But I did want to inform you of the pool hours and restrictions so that you can decide if it fits into your vacation plans. We decided to stay at BC for the pool but if we had known the hours we probably would have stayed at WL instead. I guess we should have check ahead of time. We like to swim early in the day and also in the evening and it (Stormalong Bay's hours) just didn't fit our plans.

------------------
Beth--
"attitude is a little thing that means alot"

We go on... to the joy and through the tears
We go on... to discover new frontiers
Moving on... with the courage of the years
We go on... moving forward now as one
We go on... with a spirit born to run
Moving on... with each rising sun to a new day..."

DizKnee
10-01-2001, 11:00 PM
I was just there, and there was something I never noticed before. There is an area with a little buoy that says 'Rising Sands' and right around that are places where there are tubes buried in the sand that bubble water up through the sand, and when you step on it, your foot sinks right into the sand - sort of like quicksand. The water is about 3 feet deep there, and when you step in the right spot you sink all the way up to your knee. Has that always been there? I've stayed at the Yacht Club, and the Beach Club before and I don't remember it. Maybe I missed it?

------------------
I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.
Walt Disney

MNNHFLTX
10-02-2001, 10:14 AM
DizKnee, that was another thing I wondered about. I saw the buoy for the Rising Sands, but they had that area closed off the entire time I was there so I wasn't sure what it was.

------------------
Beth--
"attitude is a little thing that means alot"

We go on... to the joy and through the tears
We go on... to discover new frontiers
Moving on... with the courage of the years
We go on... moving forward now as one
We go on... with a spirit born to run
Moving on... with each rising sun to a new day..."

Stephen_SC
10-02-2001, 12:32 PM
I was there last week and was in the pool several times. I walked over the rising sands once or twice but do not remember sinking in at all. That area is mostly for kids so I kind of stayed away from it. The slide is great but overall I was not that impressed with it. We mostly spent time in the whirlpools. One other note regarding the Beach Club quiet pool. From the hours of when it closes (currently 8) until around midnight, the quiet pool is definitely not quiet. All the kids who can't use the bay since it is closed move over to the quiet pools.

------------------

JimmyC
10-02-2001, 04:00 PM
I was walking along to get to the other section of the pool and hit the quick-sand.

Startled me a bit, but thought it was cool.

Just look for the kids trying to find it http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink2.gif

------------------
I See Glittery People

Beach Club Babe
10-02-2001, 04:40 PM
As far as the hours are concerned, they must change depending on when you are there. We were there in August and SB was open until 11PM. After that we hopped over to the quiet pool to use the jacuzzi. Only one night, did we find it loud. It was the kids either. It was a large group of adults with a few kids. The "adults" were so out of control that one of them spiked a football into a little girls face. Someone reported them and they were tossed out immediately. As far as enjoying SB we absolutely loved it. This is our 3rd year using it. 2 at YC and 1 at BC.

------------------
July 1999---Yacht Club
July 2000---Yacht Club
August 2001---Beach Club
November 2001---Animal Kindom Lodge
?????---Polynesian
?????---Wilderness Lodge

DizKnee
10-02-2001, 10:38 PM
There are really only 3 small spots where you sink in. Each one is maybe 2 feet square. I saw many people walk right past without sinking in. It's fun to watch when someone hits it by accident. You can find them if you stand still for a few moments - you will see bubbles rising from the places where you sink in.

------------------
I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.
Walt Disney

Jennib
10-03-2001, 01:21 PM
I love this pool. It is the best in all the hotels. The kids really love the sandy bottom and the slide. You will have no problems with this pool. You will love it.
Have a great time!

------------------
jenni b

" if you can shape it in your mind, you can find it in your life."

faline
10-04-2001, 08:27 AM
I'm not a strong swimmer so parts of this pool were not for me. But the pool is huge and has many alcoves. I was able to find a quiet area that was perfect for my swimming inability. It has something for everyone. It's the best of the places I've stayed at Disney - better than the new pool at the Poly.

------------------