PDA

View Full Version : Critters in first floor resort rooms?

LoriC
09-21-2001, 12:43 PM
I know this is not a topic people want to think about, but here goes........I read a post a couple of weeks that I can't seem to get out of my mind - about bugs, snakes, etc. being more common in first floor rooms at the resorts. I have requested first floor at PO-R in the Mansion section and I am wondering if I should change it. (we will have a stroller and I thought the first floor would be easier.)

Please share any experiences you may have had. Am I being paranoid?? I am definitely critter-ophobic. http://www.intercot.com/boards/eek.gif

------------------
Next Trip 11/23/01, PO Riverside
May 1999 Shades of Green
May 1997 Port Orleans
May 1996 All Star Music

niks81
09-21-2001, 01:15 PM
Hello--I don't think staying on the first floor is bad, although I prefer to be elevated. However, when I stayed at OKW once we found a baby lizard in our bathroom. It was quite fun videotaping the little thing! However, if you are staying at PO and are worried about this, try a second floor. There are elevators in those buildings if I heard right.

------------------
Disney rocks!

Toughbug
09-21-2001, 01:23 PM
We stayed on the first floor at the ASSp a couple of years ago and with two young kids at that time any unwanted critters would have been spotted. But we didn't have sny trouble with them.

But here in New Orleans if the bugs are little and not bothering anyone we tend not to notice them.

------------------
We go on...to the joy and through the tears
We go on...to discover new frontiers
Moving on...with the courage of the years
We go on...moving forward now as one
We go on...with a spirit born to run
Moving on...with each rising sun to a new day...

bradleysnana
09-21-2001, 01:45 PM
I try to stay on the 1st floor because of small children also. So far "knock on wood" I have not had any problems with any kind of bugs, lizards, or snakes. I have seen a couple of lizards outside and have heard of one case of a garter snake near the lagoon but never in the room. I love to sit on the porch and watch the children play. Often there are ducks to feed and rabbits to chase. Alot of fun for a 1 or 2 year old.

------------------
Nana to Brad, Alex and Dustin
Becky (aka Bradleysnana)
Intercot Staff
[email protected]

"Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life." Walt Disney

We stand united in remembering the victims of terrorism

AbbyabbyAbby
09-21-2001, 03:20 PM
We stayed on the first floor of Dixie Landings (back when it was Dixie Landings) and had no trouble whatsoever! I'm sure it's possible for an unwanted critter to come in...but I'm sure it doesn't happen often. I wouldn't worry about it...we're going back in December and plan on requesting a first floor room again! It's a great resort! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------

Figment!
09-21-2001, 11:27 PM
Only Wilderness Lodge has critters in the rooms http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink.gif

------------------
"Is this some sort of fun house Wonka? Why Having Fun?"

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamer of dreams"

"A mind once stretched by a new Idea never regains it's orginal demensions"

apollo
09-22-2001, 09:07 AM
Figment,

We have stayed WL a few times and will be there in 3 weeks. What kind of critters are you referring to? http://www.intercot.com/boards/eek.gif The only critters we have seen are otters and alligators but all outside the rooms. Are we talking bugs or bigger?

------------------

Jensaarai
09-22-2001, 11:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by apollo:
Figment,

We have stayed WL a few times and will be there in 3 weeks. What kind of critters are you referring to? http://www.intercot.com/boards/eek.gif The only critters we have seen are otters and alligators but all outside the rooms. Are we talking bugs or bigger?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She was kidding apollo. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Next trip Dec. 2001!
Hey mom try the Beverly I heard its great.............. What do you mean it tastes bad? And why are you turning green?

Founder of NDF (Nine Dragons Forever)

Sept. 11th, 2001. Never again, never forget.

brownie
09-22-2001, 02:13 PM
We had three rooms on the first floor at ASMV last year, but no critters. There are some things you can do to help keep it this way, though. First, check the seal on the bottom of to your room. If you can't see any light coming through, then critters probably can't get in. Second, keep your room clean-don't let food crumbs get spilled, etc. If you have room service or snacks in your room, throw the left overs out in a trash can in a common area and keep any packages/containers tightly sealed. Food is usually what will attract critters into a room. Cold weather will cause some critters to come indoors too, but our winters in Michigan are different than those in Florida!

------------------
Steve
Sep 94 BC
Apr 00 ASMV
Oct 01 PO/ASMV

LoriC
09-22-2001, 05:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for their replies!

------------------
Next Trip 11/23/01, PO Riverside
May 1999 Shades of Green
May 1997 Port Orleans
May 1996 All Star Music

faline
09-22-2001, 05:48 PM
We've stayed on the first floor in three different resorts on three different occasions and had no problems with unwanted critters. Our stays were at WL, AS, and Dixie Landings (when it was Dixie Landings).

------------------

MNNHFLTX
09-24-2001, 10:48 AM
We have stayed at ASM, CBR, CS, POR, WL and BC and have never seen any critters in the room. However it is not beyond possibility, so as mentioned earlier, I would keep the food crumbs to a minimum and keep the door closed as much as possible on the ground floor.

I doubt anyway that snakes would get in, as they avoid places with people (as do most critters). The lizards and anoles theoretically could get in on any floor, but they are harmless and just a minor fact of life in Florida.

------------------
Beth--
"attitude is a little thing that means alot"

We go on... to the joy and through the tears
We go on... to discover new frontiers
Moving on... with the courage of the years
We go on... moving forward now as one
We go on... with a spirit born to run
Moving on... with each rising sun to a new day..."